Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Once again D ...........................

antipatriot

Have players pick the ball off when they have a chance to make a play.

With that said the prevent defenese at the end of the half was a joke. The Bucs just ran the same play every play on that drive and the Colts refused to do anything to adjust. That's the biggest problem with the Colts coaches they refuse to adjust.

Wrong! How'd that work.. you have to have a D that can stop on third downs. COLTS CANNOT!

Let's not play the exception proves the rule game.

Letting the opponent catch and tackle them immediately has allowed us to have one of the better scoring defenses over the years. I am guessing that you looked at one play and decided that I was wrong? The phrasing of the comment seems to suggest just that.

Wrong! How'd that work.. you have to have a D that can stop on third downs. COLTS CANNOT!

yeah because we were missing tackles which is what the poster said. For examle the third down at the end of the game if the first Colt makes the tackle it's 4th and 3rd. He didn't and it's 4th and an inch and the Bucs pick up an easy first down sice we are all out of DTs.

With that said the prevent defenese at the end of the half was a joke. The Bucs just ran the same play every play on that drive and the Colts refused to do anything to adjust. That's the biggest problem with the Colts coaches they refuse to adjust.

I agree i got sick of seeing the same defense, i mean how long does it take to see that you are getting gashed, i mean come on.

I agree i got sick of seeing the same defense, i mean how long does it take to see that you are getting gashed, i mean come on.

The second half was a product of injuries. We were just out of bodies. The end of the first half was a product of Brackett not being there after watching more of the same plays in the second half a little closer. That's where your MLB is supposed to come up and cover the middle. They pointed it out in the second half. For all those that write Brackett off as being not good we sure could have used his pass coverage skills tonight.

The second half was a product of injuries. We were just out of bodies. The end of the first half was a product of Brackett not being there after watching more of the same plays in the second half a little closer. That's where your MLB is supposed to come up and cover the middle. They pointed it out in the second half. For all those that write Brackett off as being not good we sure could have used his pass coverage skills tonight.

Im not gonna say that brackett would have made a difference, i wouldnt be surprised if brackett was there and he still missed the tackle... I blame this on the sheme you cant have your MLB so deep like that all the time

caldwell noticed that they seem to complete the same pass pattern over and over in front of angerer and he is going to make some adjustments next week

caldwell noticed that they seem to complete the same pass pattern over and over in front of angerer and he is going to make some adjustments next week

No doubt a week late and a dollar short or however that saying goes.... LOL! Course next week it will be a different adjustment that needs to be made and isn't.

I think that we can give up the check down as long as we tackle right after. We can't keep giving up all the yards after the catch on the check downs.

Giving up the checkdown on 3rd down is fine, but they're doing it on first and second downs constantly putting the D in 2nd and 3rd and short.

Im not gonna say that brackett would have made a difference, i wouldnt be surprised if brackett was there and he still missed the tackle... I blame this on the sheme you cant have your MLB so deep like that all the time

Agreed...

And to comment on the 3rd and long conversion, Everyone,not just angry pat, was so far back that the other Tampa players were able to get downfield and set up their blocks. If everyone isn't as deep that can't happen as easily as Tampa made it look and that conversion likely does not get converted.

People have to stop with this nonsense, seriously, BLOUNT WOULD'VE KILLED BRACKETT... Sure we could've been a ittle, just a little bit better against the pass, but they would've just run over us. I'll take a run stopper, sure tackler like Pat over Gary any day of the weeek...

Caldwell and Coyer always seem a week behind, even the announcers said when mathis and freeney our out and anderson , brayton replace them teams are going to go long pass play.

They also forgot to mention that those downs were first downs and we weren't playing the run! If our secondary forces an incomplete pass on first down, we are ahead of the count and we can release nevis and Frathis on the QB the next couple of downs. We are doing the proper rotation. Most teams are going to run on us on first down because we are notorious for not being able to stop the run. We are making strides to try and stop the run and set up our pass rush. I feel that if we tighten up our coverage, this plan can work on 1st down. We just need another safety along side Bethea to prevent the big play when we run this package.

People have to stop with this nonsense, seriously, BLOUNT WOULD'VE KILLED BRACKETT... Sure we could've been a ittle, just a little bit better against the pass, but they would've just run over us. I'll take a run stopper, sure tackler like Pat over Gary any day of the weeek...

Blount didn't kill us till the second half we were down to one DT. Before that the Colts D was doing a decent job of gang tackling him. I don't care who the MLB is if you are out of DTs your MLB isn't stopping anyone rather it be Angerer or Brackett so the fact that Blount would've killed Brackett isn't saying much because the lack of DTs is what did us in against Blount. That last run came right up the gut and had nothing to do with the MLB it had to do with the lack of DTs.

What killed us in the first half was the dump offs to back over the middle. If Brackett plays up like he normally does in that situation I doubt you see as many of those passes thrown in the first place.

Blount didn't kill us till the second half we were down to one DT. Before that the Colts D was doing a decent job of gang tackling him. I don't care who the MLB is if you are out of DTs your MLB isn't stopping anyone rather it be Angerer or Brackett so the fact that Blount would've killed Brackett isn't saying much because the lack of DTs is what did us in against Blount. That last run came right up the gut and had nothing to do with the MLB it had to do with the lack of DTs.

agreed...that play was the result of AJ being the only big body to put in the middle.

What killed us in the first half was the dump offs to back over the middle. If Brackett plays up like he normally does in that situation I doubt you see as many of those passes thrown in the first place.

With this I disagree...the plays may not have gone for as big of a gain but if Brackett backs out those passes are still easily completed and keep moving the chains for the bucs.

Dude we held them to 7 points in the first half... No one killed us in the first half... He averaged 4 yards a carry inthe first half, that's good IMO, Angerer was good againt the run even without DT's...

Third downs continue to kill the Colts on defense. Every 3rd down play they don't stop is that much longer that they have to be on the field. The longer they stay on the field, the more worn down they get, and the less they're able to stop. A lot of this is scheme, a lot of it is personnel. Don't drop the LBs so deep, and get some NFL quality talent at DB, and we'll talk. When healthy, the front 7 is better than we've seen in years, but the backfield yields too much.

Four questions

1. Who taught Lacey to turn his back on the QB when he is running with the ball in his hand and run down field after a receiver? He did that twice last night and cost us big yards. IN both FB and BB one of the prime directives is never leave the man with the ball. Yeah he may throw a pass and it may be completed for a big gain, but that is a chance you take when you have been beaten. You don't let the QB roam free and pick up big yards.

2. Is it so hard for the coaches to see that TB ran the same d**m pass play to perfection all night long. 3 step drop, short pass over middle, pick up 5-10 yards per play minimum. Surely that is stoppable with a little change in scheme isn't it? Maybe a tackle drops back few steps or gets his hands up in the passing lane or a LB comes up on the play.

3. One more if I may. Why is it every time they showed the field from Freeman view after a pass the TB receiver looked like he was standing in the middle of a corn field he was so all alone. The one guy actually had time to jump and down and wave his arms before Freeman saw him and completed the pass. When we try a pass there is someone draped all over our guy mandating a pinpoint accurate pass to have any chance of completion. This true regardless of who we play. You will never get people off the field on 3rd down if you give the other team the easy drop over the middle or give their receivers a 10 yard cushion on a 3rd and 6 play.

4. Okay last one. When you have 3rd and inches and basically a rookie QB under center why do you decide to go to your bag of tricks. Get the first down, move the chains, keep possession. Wasn't the idea to have Painter manage the game, take what was available and rely some on the running game to take pressure off? I think Clark fell down on the play which was unfortunate and I think Curtis could probably have run for the 1st down if he had thought about it, but that doesn't change the fact that is was 3rd and inches and a simple run off tackle might have kept the drive alive and resulted in points.

Rant off.

I had no problem with the play action on 3rd and inches but only if they had planned to go for it on 4th and inches if they missed. Clark stumbled and that's why Painter threw the ill advised pass to Wayne instead. He should have just thrown it away. However , if they had no intention of going for it on 4th down then I agree, a run with Carter would have been the much better choice.

In Leyman's terms Coyer is handcuffed because he's playing with one DT and an almost all rookie secondary

Which is why the Colts should bail on this scheme altogether, and stop drafting soft players. It's week four, and because of injuries they're already down to rookies and special teams players for their starting D?!

If Gruden says it, it must be true!!!