Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Do the Colts tight ends have the potential to be among the league's best?

Kevin Bowen

Moving forward, I see no reason why this tight ends group can't be among the league's top groups.

Obviously, you have Dwayne Allen and Coby Fleener but people shouldn't count out Weslye Saunders.

Also you have Dominique Jones, a guy that will be the answer to Andrew Luck's trivia question of who caught No. 12's first NFL pass.

Throw in seventh round pick Justice Cunningham and you have five players all under the age of 25 heading into training camp.

I wrote today about the tight end group with some individual questions.

http://www.colts.com/news/article-1/Burning-Questions-at-the-Tight-End-position-prior-to-Training-Camp/b06e36ea-7221-44a7-b9a8-e90f03846fac

Now, I'll ask you.

Do the Colts tight ends group have the potential to be among the league's best beginning in 2013 and beyond?

I think a big part of it has to do with Pep Hamilton, and how much he wants them to get involved. It seems logical that two young talented TEs should play a big part in an offense that is based on the TE-heavy Stanford system, and the Patriots and 49ers recent success with 2-TE sets certainly enchances its appeal.

The talent is unquestionably there, I would love to see Fleener get a bit more aggressive when going over the middle, competing for jump balls and become an effective red-zone target. I also want to see Allen used in different ways and positions to exploit mismatches in the no-huddle... similiar to how the Pats utilized Hernandez. The other guys are basically JAGs who can hopefully contribute in the blocking and special teams.

Absolutely. Allen is already the leagues best blocking TE and a pretty goo receiver as well. Fleener has a lot of potential as a receiver as well. They were both mis-used by in Arian's offense.

Best blocking TE in the league? I wouldn't go that far.

Absolutely. Allen is already the leagues best blocking TE and a pretty goo receiver as well. Fleener has a lot of potential as a receiver as well. They were both mis-used by in Arian's offense.

Allen wasn't misused. Everything he did for us last year, he did at Clemson. That's why he excelled the way he did. He's to blocking, lining up at WR, being in the backfield, etc.

Allen wasn't misused. Everything he did for us last year, he did at Clemson. That's why he excelled the way he did. He's to blocking, lining up at WR, being in the backfield, etc.

I guess that's true. I guess I was more referring to Fleener than I was Allen.

I guess that's true. I guess I was more referring to Fleener than I was Allen.

Then you'd be right. Fleener wasn't use to blocking that much back at Stanford. Can't blame him for his iffy blocking when he's built to be a receiving TE instead of a blocking one. But he'll improve his blocking just in case. But Pep is gonna use him the right way

Then you'd be right. Fleener wasn't use to blocking that much back at Stanford. Can't blame him for his iffy blocking when he's built to be a receiving TE instead of a blocking one. But he'll improve his blocking just in case. But Pep is gonna use him the right way

Really?  Fleener wasn't used to blocking that much at Stanford?  In 2011, Stanford averaged 40 rushing attempts per game (as opposed to 32 pass attempts per game) and they averaged 210.6 yards per game and 5.3 yards per carry.  You don't get those kind of numbers with your #1 TE not blocking very much. ;)

source: http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/schools/stanford/2011.html

This is spot on.

BA did a wonderful job last year simply using what Allen does best.

I think this year you will see a similar role for him, although all the tight ends will be used extensively in the passing game.

Allen has to be happy he won't be needed as the team's fullback. A lot of strain on Allen's body and I think he welcome the new role for the Colts tight ends this season.

Really? Fleener wasn't used to blocking that much at Stanford? In 2011, Stanford averaged 40 rushing attempts per game (as opposed to 32 pass attempts per game) and they averaged 210.6 yards per game and 5.3 yards per carry. You don't get those kind of numbers with your #1 TE not blocking very much. ;)

source: http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/schools/stanford/2011.html

Okay Jason, you took that too literally you poopy head haha

Fleener didn't have to block like that because Stanford's line was 10x better than ours. He was able to run routes more at Stanford than he could here in his 1st year. The oline's horrible play affected everyone.

Okay Jason, you took that too literally you poopy head haha

Fleener didn't have to block like that because Stanford's line was 10x better than ours. He was able to run routes more at Stanford than he could here in his 1st year. The oline's horrible play affected everyone.

I agree with the bolded, and yes Fleener was definitely able to run more routes at Stanford as opposed to staying in to pass block like he did a lot of last year with the Colts.  However, that has very little to do with run blocking.  Stanford was a power running team and they used the run to setup the pass.  Their #1 TE (Fleener) did quite a bit of run blocking while he was there. ;)

I agree with the bolded, and yes Fleener was definitely able to run more routes at Stanford as opposed to staying in to pass block like he did a lot of last year with the Colts. However, that has very little to do with run blocking. Stanford was a power running team and they used the run to setup the pass. Their #1 TE (Fleener) did quite a bit of run blocking while he was there. ;)

And he did well because his oline was good. It's alot easier for a TE to block when he has a good oline helping him push lineman & linebackers away from the ball carrier

I think if we utilized out TE's more, then yes, we could have the best TE tandem in the league. (Since Gronk and Hernandez have the talents, but so many issues.)

We need Colby to stay healthy first. I think they need to develop the use and Colby and Dwayne more. Having Reggie and TY, Colby and Dwayne, and Vick and Ahmad?! That's a sick offense that could do damage.

And he did well because his oline was good. It's alot easier for a TE to block when he has a good oline helping him push lineman & linebackers away from the ball carrier

I'm not disputing that at all.  I was only disputing your comment that "Fleener wasn't use to blocking that much back at Stanford" :P

Allen is already proving to be a great talent out there and I think Hamilton is going to utilize Fleener in a way that will play to his strengths. Familiarity is going to be the key. I'm expecting a very productive year out of Fleener.

Posted · Hidden by Superman, July 18, 2013 - No reason given
Hidden by Superman, July 18, 2013 - No reason given

Improving his blocking is great ... He worked on that at Stanford and has kept getting better. But not using Coby on the red zone was a mistake. Not using him to create mismatches or even as a quick outlet for Andrew to avoid sacks etc. This year will be much better.

I see Allen as a Jason Witten kind of TE. He won't be stretching the field, but as an underneath/flat safety valve, with really good hands, he will make his living off that as well as outstanding blocking. Fleener looks like Jimmy Graham. He has the height, speed, and athleticism to be a match-up nightmare for TEs and Safeties. I may be in the minority, but I thought Fleener's blocking was pretty solid too...not on the level of Allen's, but pretty good.

I personally want each of our TEs to become their own identity!  I said the same thing with Luck...no comparisons.  Coby Fleener needs to become the 1st Coby Fleener...Allen the same.  :thmup:   Cunningham?  Diamond in the rough?

I loved Jone's athleticism in the preseason last year...good size...Pagano was VERY high on him.  Then with injuries he was waived and ended up back on the practice Squad.

Saunders is an extra OL at 270...and really does not have bad hands for his size.

To answer the question of the Topic.....I feel that we have Top 5 TEs.  Lets keep the injury bug away !!! :colts:  :colts:  :colts: !!!

I see Allen as a Jason Witten kind of TE. He won't be stretching the field, but as an underneath/flat safety valve, with really good hands, he will make his living off that as well as outstanding blocking. Fleener looks like Jimmy Graham. He has the height, speed, and athleticism to be a match-up nightmare for TEs and Safeties. I may be in the minority, but I thought Fleener's blocking was pretty solid too...not on the level of Allen's, but pretty good.

Nice comparisons there on two of the game's best tight ends.

Could see both Allen and Fleener having that potential in them.

I think if we utilized out TE's more, then yes, we could have the best TE tandem in the league. (Since Gronk and Hernandez have the talents, but so many issues.)

We need Colby to stay healthy first. I think they need to develop the use and Colby and Dwayne more. Having Reggie and TY, Colby and Dwayne, and Vick and Ahmad?! That's a sick offense that could do damage.

He may think he's the big cheese, but his name is still "Coby".  :thmup:

Really?  Fleener wasn't used to blocking that much at Stanford?  In 2011, Stanford averaged 40 rushing attempts per game (as opposed to 32 pass attempts per game) and they averaged 210.6 yards per game and 5.3 yards per carry.  You don't get those kind of numbers with your #1 TE not blocking very much. ;)

source: http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/schools/stanford/2011.html

You do when you're using multiple tight ends and Fleener is split wide and the other TE is doing most of the blocking.

And that's what was happening at Stanford.     Fleener didn't block that much....

I personally want each of our TEs to become their own identity!  I said the same thing with Luck...no comparisons.  Coby Fleener needs to become the 1st Coby Fleener...Allen the same.  :thmup:   Cunningham?  Diamond in the rough?

I loved Jone's athleticism in the preseason last year...good size...Pagano was VERY high on him.  Then with injuries he was waived and ended up back on the practice Squad.

Saunders is an extra OL at 270...and really does not have bad hands for his size.

To answer the question of the Topic.....I feel that we have Top 5 TEs.  Lets keep the injury bug away !!! :colts:  :colts:  :colts: !!!

I will tell ya Brother,Cunningham wasn't drafted for camp fodder  :thmsup:  There is all around talent in this kid

This is spot on.

BA did a wonderful job last year simply using what Allen does best.

I think this year you will see a similar role for him, although all the tight ends will be used extensively in the passing game.

Allen has to be happy he won't be needed as the team's fullback. A lot of strain on Allen's body and I think he welcome the new role for the Colts tight ends this season.

He might be happy, but I would still like to see him line up there sometimes, especially in the no huddle.

If we can use our base personnel in different ways it really helps with mismatches. For example, a defense is lining up in the nickel, we go no-huddle and line Allen up at full back and run the ball... that would be very difficult for any defense to counteract.

That's true more for the passing game. Stanford's system whilst running was usually power-man, so Fleener's individual assignment was not that overly affected by the success of other assignments, especially considering Fleener was split wide and was not on the end of the o-line a lot.

Fleener blocked more at Stanford than he did last year, and when he did block last year, he was pretty good at it, especially downfield when he had momentum behind him.

It is however something he needs to improve on, as all TEs should be capable blockers.

I still want to see more from Fleener.  But given what Allen did for the team last year, he certainly has that potential.  He can do it all; he can block, catch, run after the catch, etc.

And my personal favorite.....the kid is not afraid to run you over!  Love his tenacity!  (For me...mean streak on the field is better :))