Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts back on Forbes' Annual Most Valuable Sports Franchise List....

NewColtsFan

The Colts are the 12th most valuable NFL franchise and 20th most valuable overall, worldwide....

Not bad for a small market!

The team is reported to be worth $1.15+ Billion...   that's up roughly $100 Mill in value from last year.

Here's the list....

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/forbes-top-20-most-valuable-sports-franchises-world-174921789.html

A reminder,  this is not done based on opinion....   this is done on things like stadium deal,  ticket sales, merchandise sales,  other sources of revenue,  etc......   In other words, stats and not opinions....

The article you linked mentions this as well: I'm very surprised that the Texans are the 5th highest valued NFL team. They're still so young, and they share a market with the Cowboys. They were terrible the first five years of their existence, they just made the playoffs for the first time two years ago. That's very surprising to me. Bob McNair is doing a good job, and the NFL's decision to put a team in Houston is really paying off.

The article you linked mentions this as well: I'm very surprised that the Texans are the 5th highest valued NFL team. They're still so young, and they share a market with the Cowboys. They were terrible the first five years of their existence, they just made the playoffs for the first time two years ago. That's very surprising to me. Bob McNair is doing a good job, and the NFL's decision to put a team in Houston is really paying off.

I agree. The idea that they are worth more than the Jets, Eagles or Bears is frankly preposterous, and makes me question the legitimacy of these valuations.

On the other hand, I wouldn't say that they "share a market with the Cowboys". Texas is huge and I'm pretty sure that Houston is much bigger than Dallas. Frankly if it wasn't for the Cowboys and an annoying TV show I doubt very much that most people would even think of Dallas first when they think of Texas.

One could surmise that the calculations are tied strongly to fan recognition based on a legacy of success. Even if accurate, such recognition is often fleeting. Would you buy the Patriots for the second highest number in the league right now? I doubt very much that they were rated that highly before 2001. So what happens if Belichick/Brady leave and they finish last five years in a row? Kraft "loses" hundreds of millions of dollars? It's kinda nuts. No wonder owners look so anxious sitting up in their luxury boxes.

I agree. The idea that they are worth more than the Jets, Eagles or Bears is frankly preposterous, and makes me question the legitimacy of these valuations.

On the other hand, I wouldn't say that they "share a market with the Cowboys". Texas is huge and I'm pretty sure that Houston is much bigger than Dallas. Frankly if it wasn't for the Cowboys and an annoying TV show I doubt very much that most people would even think of Dallas first when they think of Texas.

One could surmise that the calculations are tied strongly to fan recognition based on a legacy of success. Even if accurate, such recognition is often fleeting. Would you buy the Patriots for the second highest number in the league right now? I doubt very much that they were rated that highly before 2001. So what happens if Belichick/Brady leave and they finish last five years in a row? Kraft "loses" hundreds of millions of dollars? It's kinda nuts. No wonder owners look so anxious sitting up in their luxury boxes.

From 1996 to 2002, the Cowboys were the only NFL team in Texas. Maybe none of those Houston fans were Cowboys fans, or became Cowboys fans during the void. But it would seem to me like the Texans cut into the Cowboys market share at least somewhat when they came around. And it would seem like some of the old Cowboys diehards are resistant to the Texans.

I don't know how they do these valuations or how they work. But it's surprising to me that the newest team in the league is also the 5th highest valued. If it's true -- and I have no legitimate reason to believe it's not -- it's impressive.

"Say whatever you want about Jerry Jones and his football acumen, but include this: He is an incredible businessman." As much as it pains me to say this, that is a truthful statement. Jerry Jones is a marketing wizard. A franchise worth 2.1 billion is nothing to sneeze at. 

"A reminder,  this is not done based on opinion....   this is done on things like stadium deal,  ticket sales, merchandise sales,  other sources of revenue,  etc......   In other words, stats and not opinions...." --NCF

How come prolonged SB victory droughts never seem to harm the Cowboys financially & image wise as a colossal weakness of this franchise? Ever....Lombardi trophies are worth multi-millions to a franchise & coming up short year after year cannot continue to go unnoticed or viewed as an extended liability vs an asset. People associate success with winning not attractive cheerleaders Jerry. JMO.

"Say whatever you want about Jerry Jones and his football acumen, but include this: He is an incredible businessman." As much as it pains me to say this, that is a truthful statement. Jerry Jones is a marketing wizard. A franchise worth 2.1 billion is nothing to sneeze at.

"A reminder, this is not done based on opinion.... this is done on things like stadium deal, ticket sales, merchandise sales, other sources of revenue, etc...... In other words, stats and not opinions...." --NCF

How come prolonged SB victory droughts never seem to harm the Cowboys financially & image wise as a colossal weakness of this franchise? Ever....Lombardi trophies are worth multi-millions to a franchise & coming up short year after year cannot continue to go unnoticed or viewed as an extended liability vs an asset. People associate success with winning not attractive cheerleaders Jerry. JMO.

they have the most expensive stadium in the NFL and a gigantic fan base

How come lists like this never reveal how many people stadiums directly employ in their state or region? What is the scope & sophistication level of these stadium occupations? What tax records say about how much revenue a specific stadium  generates? How much revenue created outside the stadium do additional restaurants, hotels, & businesses actually benefit from?

Ticket & merchandise sales typically benefit the NFL organization itself not auxiliary businesses. Yes, a winning football team means more restaurant & lodging needs that mandates the hiring of more people, but it boils down to the NFL franchise owner or owners who gets the lion's share of seasonal profits vs business within a few blocks of the stadium. I guess one could make the argument that football stadiums do host concerts & other sporting events once the NFL season is concluded, but what percentage of profits from concerts & basketball games flows directly back to the franchise owner as opposed to the individual state or local city community? 

That's the kind of stadium study I wanna see personally...Stadium studies usually only focus on corporate profits not individual community growth of the average citizen residing in that community. How does the average joe living there in that state with a world class stadium really benefit? How does it directly benefit their ordinary life? It doesn't. 

Yes stadiums like hospitals & colleges centralize a city's layout & transportation & navigation needs, but the average joe does not yield tremendous rewards from this IMO unless the revenue is more equally distributed personally among the city's these stadiums reside in. 

It's not surprising at all to me that the Texans are 5th.  Houston used to have a team, so I'm sure the fans were eager to accept, cheer for, and more importantly spend money on merch for this relatively new franchise, even though it struggled it's first several years in the league.  Also I would think the stadium deal is a large contributor to the overall value of these teams.  The bigger, the better, the more valuable the stadium, plus the share the owner takes out compared to tax payer expenses for said stadium will sway the numbers in a considerable margin.

they have the most expensive stadium in the NFL and a gigantic fan base

Yes, that is a good point jvan. I just wonder if Dallas will be able to maintain it's corporate merchandizing powerhouse status once Jerry Jones dies though. The fanbase will still be there, but I don't know if the next heir apparent will be able to continue Jerry's lucrative relationship with so many TV & product placement sponsors. Time will tell I guess. 

Jerry could sell ice to an eskimo, but it doesn't mean his sons can do that though. You either have the gift for selling your stadium trademark/brand name  or you don't. 

It's not surprising at all to me that the Texans are 5th.  Houston used to have a team, so I'm sure the fans were eager to accept, cheer for, and more importantly spend money on merch for this relatively new franchise, even though it struggled it's first several years in the league.  Also I would think the stadium deal is a large contributor to the overall value of these teams.  The bigger, the better, the more valuable the stadium, plus the share the owner takes out compared to tax payer expenses for said stadium will sway the numbers in a considerable margin.

Yeah, it's a football state and we hate the Cowboys so when we got the Texans everything went right uphill. We have one of the most dedicated fanbases in the NFL. I'm actually not that surprised we ranked so high on the list either, honestly. Maybe we'll rank even higher next year.

Yes, Bob McNair has done a fantastic job making the Texans a legitimate franchise along with GM Charlie Casserly & the drafting of Mario Williams vs Reggie Bush in 2006. That's when I started to take them seriously, when they selected a pass rusher to get in Peyton Manning's face, move him off his spot, & sack him.

If the Colts can't play in the SB or the Broncos, let me see the Texans crush the Cowboys before I die please...Something like 45-14...I would be bummed not to see the Blue horseshoe in the SB, but watching Dallas pop under the pressure would be so exhilerating IMO....Okay, SW1 will step off my soapbox now...

Not sure why so many here are debating/arguing over the Texans and Cowboys, or any other franchise....

To me, the most impressive thing is that the Colts are the 20th most valuable sports franchise on the planet.    And the 12th most valuable out of 32 NFL teams.

Props to the good people of Indianapolis and the state of Indiana.        :thmup:

Just thinking out loud here....

But maybe Houston gave the Texans a much better stadium deal and other tax considerations than Chicago gave the Bears,  than Philly gave the Eagles, and that New York/NJ gave the Jets....

That would be my hunch.....

Not sure why so many here are debating/arguing over the Texans and Cowboys, or any other franchise....

To me, the most impressive thing is that the Colts are the 20th most valuable sports franchise on the planet.    And the 12th most valuable out of 32 NFL teams.

Props to the good people of Indianapolis and the state of Indiana.        :thmup:

Easy...The Cowboys always get the benefit of the doubt as a team & a franchise regardless of the fact that their lackluster post season record for several years doesn't warrant the attention & lack of critical scrutiny they receive on an annual basis. Simple as that. There is only 1 real NFL team in Texas & Houston is it. I hope that clears up any ambiguity you may have NCF. I don't praise notorious underachievers season after season. 

I guess I started that. I don't generally pay too much attention to these rankings; it's not my money. It is impressive that the small market Colts are 20th overall. Indy used to be a basketball town. Big props to the team and the local fans.

It just stood out to me that the newest team in the league is the 5th most valuable. 

I think it's not really all of that much of a surprise around here where we are.  While the value of the team has gone up, we actually dropped a spot compared to last year when the Colts were 19th

http://www.stampedeblue.com/2012/7/16/3163046/forbes-estimates-colts-are-worth-1-06-billion-the-19th-most-valuable-nfl

I guess I started that. I don't generally pay too much attention to these rankings; it's not my money. It is impressive that the small market Colts are 20th overall. Indy used to be a basketball town. Big props to the team and the local fans.

It just stood out to me that the newest team in the league is the 5th most valuable. 

Thank you Bud Adams for taking a team from one of the biggest markets to one of the smallest and leaving Houston wide open!

Still,  Bud Adams is a rich man....   so he can make all the bone head decisions he wants and succeed in spite of himself...

Go figure.....

I think it's not really all of that much of a surprise around here where we are.  While the value of the team has gone up, we actually dropped a spot compared to last year when the Colts were 19th

http://www.stampedeblue.com/2012/7/16/3163046/forbes-estimates-colts-are-worth-1-06-billion-the-19th-most-valuable-nfl

True,  the Colts dropped from 19th to 20th.   But that's something that is out of your control.   If some other team suddenly becomes worth more than you,  nothing you can do about it.

But, at least your team is worth more this year than it was last year.     That's what you can have some level of control over.

So, again, props to Indy.....

We have a diverse fanbase,that spans many countries and cultures.In fact,most foreigners know of only two NFL teams(colts/patriots).I was shocked to see so many cheering for our INDY colts.

I agree...   oh and they LOST the OILERS.

Ya ... Houston...      Rock ON...  til it .. 

never mind....

You know Superman. You do mention a salient point. Why not break NFL teams in this league down based on their demographics, success [Playoff appearances & division titles], influence on their community [charity events, donations to schools & colleges, giving back to the less fortunate], working capital at their disposal for improvements & upgrades, & debt vs a healthy balance sheet? Population alone & a city's media market are only a tiny fraction of a team's economic strength & prosperity. 

Comparing say the San Diego Chargers to the Green Bay Packers strictly on population alone or the magnitude of a fanbase really isn't fair. Much like comparing INDY to say the NY Giants. Size isn't everything...Or the only relevant thing in measuring a franchises clout & durability IMHO...