Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2012 Super Bowl Halftime show is.......

aavmarine

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Or the Black Eyed Peas.... who are AWFUL live. Seriously, Fergie has NO talent whatsoever, and she looks weird.

Without Auto-tune they sound like cackling banshees. I always think of robots when I hear that Auto-tune garbage.

Remember the good 'ol days when we had Up With People?

What an extravaganza!

Yea....perspective is key.

Without Auto-tune they sound like cackling banshees. I always think of robots when I hear that Auto-tune garbage.

Remember the good 'ol days when we had Up With People?

What an extravaganza!

Yea....perspective is key.

Unfortunately, I do remember.

I don't like extravaganzas.

If this is true talk about a epic failure.

Yea, kinda lame.

My favorite was Prince in 2006. That was actually a very good performance. Ol boy was working his guitar in the rain.

I missed the infamous "wardrobe Malfunction". I looked away for a second to pick up my cigarettes and my girlfriend at the time said "OMG....Justin just whipped Janet's boob out". I thought she was just messin with me until I heard about it on the news afterword.

I don't hate Madonna per se, but I hate the half-time show and all the garbage that goes with it. I mean I love music as much as anybody, but people have such varied tastes, what are the odds of selecting anybody who isn't going to make half the audience vomit. It's the biggest football game of the year - sticking a mini concert in the middle of it makes about as much sense as - for example - inserting a 10 minute break between quarters to hold a giant 50/50 raffle. MAYBE it helps hold the attention of those who don't actually care about football, but as somebody who DOES care about football I think it's an absurd waste of time.

An extended half-time (just like the extra week break) is an abnormality that probably helps contribute to the Super Bowl often being a pretty lousy game. Championship weekend is actually often the most exiting football weekend of the season. The SB is just the celebratory post-season road show during which they reluctantly let some guys toss the ball around between commercials.

Looks like that is just a rumor and hopefully stays that way

I don't think she has broad enough appeal. I own some of her music but...........nothing recent and really not much.

I saw Prince and the Who at our SBs and they were really good shows.........at least for the people in the stands

As far as Black Eyed Peas..........I loved them AND Fergie

I was kind of hoping for Bon Jovi............who doesn't like Bon Jovi?

I was kind of hoping for Bon Jovi............who doesn't like Bon Jovi?

That's a gal thang, Maureen. haha....I'll pass. How about get Ted Nugent to come down from Michigan & he could do Stranglehold + cover of the Star Spangled Banner ala Jimi Hendrix.

If the SB was in Foxboro there might be a chance of seeing Boston Irish favs - Dropkick Murphys. What a treat that'd be....who cares if anyone "gets it."

Or the Black Eyed Peas.... who are AWFUL live. Seriously, Fergie has NO talent whatsoever, and she looks weird.

Oh man, that performance last year was brutal. I found it to be the worst Super Bowl halftime show that I have ever seen.

As for this year's selection, I'm not impressed. Madonna? Really? Halftime shows are all the same anyway, they take some has-been star and just have them sing some of their songs. I'm sure the planners get good money, you would think they could come up with something more creative...

If the SB was in Foxboro there might be a chance of seeing Boston Irish favs - Dropkick Murphys. What a treat that'd be....who cares if anyone "gets it."

Never heard of Dropkick Murphys, but speaking of Irish - I'd be perfectly happy if they had U2 on every year. The half-time show works best if the band is used to putting on spectacular shows in front of massive audiences on a constant basis. The bigger the event, the bigger U2 shines. Just polished and unflappable. It's at it's worst when they resurrect an older group whose voices aren't what they used to be - as they uncomfortably try to extract just a little bit more cash from their fading reputations. If you are a fan it just makes you squirm. If you're not it just makes them a joke.

Actually it's at it's worst when they try to do too much. The whole thing ends up like the final song on one of those benefit gigs where 23 "stars" all try to sing lead simultaneously on something that none of them actually knows the words too.

Maybe because even past their prime they're better than the young ones:)

Plus the crowd isn't young.

Good point JJ.

But there are artists that have broad appeal

After every superbowl......mostly what you hear is complaining about the half time show

But

My kids liked most of them

I liked most all of them

For sure they are better in person

Hey JJ how about the Go Gos?

Oh man, that performance last year was brutal. I found it to be the worst Super Bowl halftime show that I have ever seen.

We were sitting there for it, live. We talked about how they were obviously a "studio/produced" act. We really like them on recording, but live...uh, no.

I'd like to see Irsay get his tweet thumbs and influence working and bring Dylan in!!! JUST KIDDING!!!

We always do rock. XLVI is in the midwest...how about multiple COUNTRY acts?? I mean, big names, current and past. Country is hot now!

That's a gal thang, Maureen. haha....I'll pass. How about get Ted Nugent to come down from Michigan & he could do Stranglehold + cover of the Star Spangled Banner ala Jimi Hendrix.

I'm shippin off to Boston!! To be honest though, that's the only song I know by that group...and I only know it because it was on the Simpsons...

Never heard of Dropkick Murphys, but speaking of Irish - I'd be perfectly happy if they had U2 on every year. The half-time show works best if the band is used to putting on spectacular shows in front of massive audiences on a constant basis. The bigger the event, the bigger U2 shines. Just polished and unflappable. It's at it's worst when they resurrect an older group whose voices aren't what they used to be - as they uncomfortably try to extract just a little bit more cash from their fading reputations. If you are a fan it just makes you squirm. If you're not it just makes them a joke.

Actually it's at it's worst when they try to do too much. The whole thing ends up like the final song on one of those benefit gigs where 23 "stars" all try to sing lead simultaneously on something that none of them actually knows the words too.

Never ever understood the popularity of U2. Absolutely awful music IMO. I know that many many people like them but I just don't get it. No offense!

Dropkick Murphys will sometimes open Red Sox games in Boston & the town loves them. Bagpipe playin, gritty, and lots of fun.

I remember back in the day when U2 was new with Boy and War out. Went to see them cuz we thought "oh cool an Irish statement band" let's see what's up. Long story short they weren't polished back then, Bono was so drunk that night it wrecked the show & opening act Lone Justice blew them away (Maria McKee singing). All these years later.....it's good to see those guys doing well. Took me a while to get over that bomb of a show but I'm happy to report I'm in recovery as a music snob and can enjoy them now, haha.

I like Ted Nugent.........some of his music anyway

I am not getting Madonna

Maybe she's just for the national anthem. that would be ok.

Combining the National Anthem with Tuba's country request.......I'd like Allison Krauss to do the honors.

Never ever understood the popularity of U2. Absolutely awful music IMO. I know that many many people like them but I just don't get it. No offense!

None taken. Differing opinions are what makes the world go round. Of course just because YOU think it's "awful" music............ :lol:. I don't like some of their experimental stuff, but about 50 of their songs are amongst my absolute favorite music of all time. Just amazing.

There is something for everybody. For instance looking at the above comments, in my opinion Ted Nugent makes noise that I would hesitate to even classify as music, and the vast majority of country (with the exception of Johnny Cash, Waylon & Willie, Garth Brooks, Dixie Chicks, and a few others) just flat out BORES me to tears. I used to work next to a woman who commandeered the radio that I brought in for everyone to enjoy, and insisted on playing a top forty country station. For FOUR AND A HALF YEARS. If we had worked in a taller building I would have considered jumping.

And that's half the problem with the Half-Time show. No matter who is on about 90% of the audience will not be a die hard fan, and it's the inevitable complaining which results that gets your attention afterwards.I'd be just as happy if they did away with the entire thing.

None taken. Differing opinions are what makes the world go round. Of course just because YOU think it's "awful" music............ :lol:. I don't like some of their experimental stuff, but about 50 of their songs are amongst my absolute favorite music of all time. Just amazing.

There is something for everybody. For instance looking at the above comments, in my opinion Ted Nugent makes noise that I would hesitate to even classify as music, and the vast majority of country (with the exception of Johnny Cash, Waylon & Willie, Garth Brooks, Dixie Chicks, and a few others) just flat out BORES me to tears. I used to work next to a woman who commandeered the radio that I brought in for everyone to enjoy, and insisted on playing a top forty country station. For FOUR AND A HALF YEARS. If we had worked in a taller building I would have considered jumping.

And that's half the problem with the Half-Time show. No matter who is on about 90% of the audience will not be a die hard fan, and it's the inevitable complaining which results that gets your attention afterwards.I'd be just as happy if they did away with the entire thing.

Yeah, your right. No way to ever satisfy everybody. I hate country music too. I have an 11 yr. old daughter that loves country music and turns it on when we get in the car. It drives me freakin nuts.

I'm shippin off to Boston!! To be honest though, that's the only song I know by that group...and I only know it because it was on the Simpsons...

Sweet. Funny how that works.......the Ramones' Blitzkrieig Bop is part of Jimmy Neutron now. And Henry Rollins is a social commentator.....

Shipping is classic. You might also like Sunshine Highway, The Warrior's Code, Amazing Grace, Walk Away. They also do a killer version of Long Way to the Top and Fortunate Son. Sheesh lots coming back to me but these guys can bring it.

I remember back in the day when U2 was new with Boy and War out. Went to see them cuz we thought "oh cool an Irish statement band" let's see what's up. Long story short they weren't polished back then, Bono was so drunk that night it wrecked the show & opening act Lone Justice blew them away (Maria McKee singing). All these years later.....it's good to see those guys doing well. Took me a while to get over that bomb of a show but I'm happy to report I'm in recovery as a music snob and can enjoy them now, haha.

That's a great story!

I loved a lot of the early stuff, then frankly stopped paying attention as they went in wierd directions. Then I fell big time for "All that you can't leave behind". They were touring that album in 2001, and I really wanted to see them for the first time, but I couldn't do it. My office had burned down in June, and we bought a house in Sept. I didn't know which end was up. If I HAD gotten tickets it would have turned out to be the shows at Madison Square Garden soon after 9/11 - where they altered their show to unveil a massive scroll of the names of the dead during the encore. That wasn't just a concert, it was a public Irish wake. A legendary event.

Two months later, partially moved into our new house, we signed up for Directv (so I could watch the Colts of course). They happened to be having "free U2" month on some special channel. One of the features was a concert from earlier in the same tour, and I must have watched parts of that thing 50 times. Drove my wife nuts. I'd put in on loud in the living room while she was sleeping. I'd put in on loud in the bedroom while she was watching TV. I just couldn't get enough. FINALLY the month was over. I came home and told my wife "I've got some good news and some bad news. The good news is that Free U2 month is over. The bad news is that I just bought the DVD of the same concert!". Fortunately for her we didn't actually own a DVD player yet - I just HAD to have that recording.

I did get to see them in the Garden four years later. Terrific show, but I swear I suffered permanent hearing loss. Between them producing an overwhelming wall of sound, and me getting too old for this, not a good combination. :D

Why don't they just bring back John Denver? He is as relevant as Madonna

You need to get a clue. How is Madonna not relevant? Her last tour set the record for highest money maker of all time ANY artist. That was only a couple years ago. It's amazing that she is still that relevant. Most popular female pop artist of all time and whether you love her or hate her she knows how to put on a show. Count me as one who is psyched about this if true.