Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The "dream team"

Case

Anybody else loving that the eagles are 1-3. I thought they would be much brtter then this. Thoughts on why they are playing so awful with such a talent loaded roster.

Great players don't make a great team. The Colts 2006 Championship team wasn't loaded with talent, but they were a great team.

Lets not forget that the fella that applied the term "Dream Team" to the Eagles was Vince Young. That says alot.

I live in the Philly area and man I am loving it.

My cousin is a huge eagles fan. If we win tonight I can't wait to rub it in his face that both our teams are 1-3 and we don't even have our best player on the field.

Not only Vince but the media also labeled them that. I know great players don't make a great team but why aren't they playing good. Coaching? Or do you think it's just going to take time. Il

Andy Reid is a proven coach, having gone to many conference championships and a few SB's. The players have to buy in, I suppose.

Self-entitlement is a killer infection of any sports team. This is why coaches hate it when players offer up fodder like what Young did when he included himself in as a reason why this team is a dream team.

As well, some players look better than they really are because of the team they were on. Then they enter the FA market and command big money, they get to their new team and suddenly appear to be agonizingly average.

All these egos being thrown together, combined with unexpectedly low results is a powder keg of failure waiting to blow.

I think Andy Reid needs to swallow his pride and run the football more. There is absolutely no reason why you throw the ball 30 something times in the second half with a big lead. ESPECIALLY when you have LeSean McCoy who is one of the best running backs in the NFL. I don't feel sorry for the Eagles, I really don't care for them but I know how frustrating it is to have a stacked team like that and be bad. It's a horrible feeling.

Great players don't make a great team. The Colts 2006 Championship team wasn't loaded with talent, but they were a great team.

Lets not forget that the fella that applied the term "Dream Team" to the Eagles was Vince Young. That says alot.

I agree with you, too many good players makes for a bad team in most cases. Its odd thats how it turns out but some of these players might not be use to the schemes the Eagles run, and others might know the schemes just cant play in them. So its funny to see this "dream team" turning into a "NightMare" lol..

On the other hand, who thinks the Packers could possibly Repeat?

On the other hand, who thinks the Packers could possibly Repeat?

A big 'ol pot of Packers dynasty is cooking up in Green Bay. This is a truly great team pieced together over several years, not a bunch of ego maniacs slammed together all at once.

Its odd thats how it turns out but some of these players might not be use to the schemes the Eagles run, and others might know the schemes just cant play in them. So its funny to see this "dream team" turning into a "NightMare" lol..

You make a great point. Nnamdi Asomugha was taken from one extreme to another, completely removed from any semblance of the system he was used to. How could the Eagles FO not understand that they would've been better off with a less celebrated, WAY cheaper DB that actually fits their system?

As with most issues that occur in pro sports, what we see in Philly isn't the result of this or that. It is a confluence of many things coming together.

....and yes, I'm enjoying the fail.

Andy Reid is a proven coach, having gone to many conference championships and a few SB's.

Yes he's done great things in the past but this a very talented team. When I said coaching I wasn't talking about only Andy Reid. I thought mornhinweg the OC called the plays or did Reid take over again. Anyways just thought they would be better. Also Reid has been to 1 super bowl as HC I think not a few.

I hate Vick with a passion, I detest egotistical blowhards like Jackson, I hate teams that screw up the salary structure (ie: Redskins), I hate teams that purport to be "dream teams" (IE: Heat), and I'm none too fond of many Philly fans of all sports (I live half-way between NY and Philly - I've worked with many and I listen to a lot of Philly sports radio.)

So yes, the Eagles failure to date is one of the highlights of the season for me, and I wish them all the continued lack of success that they can fail to muster.

I'm not in the slightest surprised they're not doing well. I said so in the preseason. I can't think of any team in the NFL that's been bought for a season that's lived up to the hype. When a single player is brought in like Favre was it has a chance of working, but bringing in that much ego, spending that much money and expecting them to gel as a TEAM in a short preseason like this one was... FAT CHANCE!

It's all about chemistry and scheming. When you bring it a ton of free agents, they take some time to gel together. I also saw someone (can't remember who, might have been Michael Irvin on NFL Network) who said Nnamdi is a press-man corner, but the Eagles use a zone based scheme and he is lost. He is playing in space and can't make a play on the ball because he is not used to playing in a zone scheme. Warren Sapp commented that Cullen Jenkins is trying too hard to be a pass rusher when he should do what he does best, and that is stuff the run. So there might be some scheming issues.

I found it extremely surprising how in the 2nd half Alex Smith of all people pretty much had his way with the Eagles secondary, I mean they have Asomaugh(sp?), Samules and Rogers-Cromartie. I remember one play when Crabtree pretty much burned Asomaugh.

It's all about chemistry and scheming. When you bring it a ton of free agents, they take some time to gel together. I also saw someone (can't remember who, might have been Michael Irvin on NFL Network) who said Nnamdi is a press-man corner, but the Eagles use a zone based scheme and he is lost. He is playing in space and can't make a play on the ball because he is not used to playing in a zone scheme. Warren Sapp commented that Cullen Jenkins is trying too hard to be a pass rusher when he should do what he does best, and that is stuff the run. So there might be some scheming issues.

That's been an MO of Reid's for years. He is always trying to play players out of position. I loved the Nnamdi signing, but if he's not going to play to his strengths, then it's a wasted signing. Don't buy Hershey's milk chocolate if you're planning on making Skittles. It's a small part of the MANY reasons fans have long tired of Reid and are ready for a change.

Yes he's done great things in the past but this a very talented team. When I said coaching I wasn't talking about only Andy Reid. I thought mornhinweg the OC called the plays or did Reid take over again. Anyways just thought they would be better. Also Reid has been to 1 super bowl as HC I think not a few.

I think Reid has taken over more of playcalling.

The reason they're losing is because they have the worst linebacking core in teh league, and no good safeties. All they have is D-line and CBs. They're offensive guards and center are not doing well, and they're tackles aren't thaaat great. They keep relying on Maclin and Maclin is not much better than a guy like Garcon. They wasted way too much money, and they got nothing out of it.

The situation with Nnamdi is that they have an amazing man to man corner playing in a zone d. When there's a man in the slot, he's more or less turned into a free safety. It's like the Haynesworth situation in DC, only NNamdi is classy enough to get out there, play, keep his mouth shut and do what he can.

It will take some for everyone to gel, but in the meantime, Vick is getting no help from his O line, they are very reliant on the pass, and yet they aren't getting the time or the connections deep. You've got a lot of individual talent, a lot of money, a lot of unfamiliar faces, and a lot of happy fans that don't live in Philly, myself included.

They still have the talent and coaching to come back and win the division and thats what I expect them to do. Its still early.

They have talent in some areas, but the problem is where talent is lacking. LBs and safety, as Andy246 alluded to, is horrific, and is easily exploited. The offensive line is not terrible, but not great either, and still has trouble converting short yardage and scoring in the redzone. On top of it all, our best lineman Jason Peters, is out for about a month, so I expect this area to get worse, not better. Trent Cole is also out about a month. Jason Babin has been great as a pass rusher for us, and is currenty leading the league in sacks, but it'll be interesting to see what he does now without Cole opposite him.

The coaching is also problematic. Reid has gotten stale, and the league has caught up to him and passed him by. His hiring an offensive line coach to be defensive coordinator was the last straw. It was a bad idea at the time, and it's proving to be so now. Sadly, I fear we're stuck with Reid for a long time. Lurie is too much a fan of his.

They have talent in some areas, but the problem is where talent is lacking. LBs and safety, as Andy246 alluded to, is horrific, and is easily exploited. The offensive line is not terrible, but not great either, and still has trouble converting short yardage and scoring in the redzone. On top of it all, our best lineman Jason Peters, is out for about a month, so I expect this area to get worse, not better. Trent Cole is also out about a month. Jason Babin has been great as a pass rusher for us, and is currenty leading the league in sacks, but it'll be interesting to see what he does now without Cole opposite him.

The coaching is also problematic. Reid has gotten stale, and the league has caught up to him and passed him by. His hiring an offensive line coach to be defensive coordinator was the last straw. It was a bad idea at the time, and it's proving to be so now. Sadly, I fear we're stuck with Reid for a long time. Lurie is too much a fan of his.

lets trade Caldwell for Reid ^_^ LOL. No one in your division jumps out at me and screams its mine. I still give you guys a valid chance with all your injuries. Your team is being written off way to fast.

Remember when the lockout just ended and everyone thought the Eagles were the greatest thing since sliced bread? Remember the next day when eveyone started making the "Colts need to sign __________" threads. People were saying we had to make a huge splash in free agency. This is why you don't build a team through free agency. Just ask the Redskins, Cowboys, and now the Eagles.

lets trade Caldwell for Reid ^_^ LOL. No one in your division jumps out at me and screams its mine. I still give you guys a valid chance with all your injuries. Your team is being written off way to fast.

I'd gladly send Reid your way, but I don't want Caldwell. I want a new guy who's never been a HC before, although I might make an exception for Steve Spagnolo if the Rams gave up on him. The first 2 guys I'd like to see interviewed are Winston Moss, and Mike Trgovac. Both were hopefuls for our DC job, but Trgovac wanted to stay in Green Bay so his daughter didn't have to move before graduating. And Moss actually told some Philly reporters during Media day that he'd be interested in our DC job, but we then promoted Juan Castillo before the Super Bowl was even played. Now I'd like to see him or Trgovac get a shot at HC.