Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts could end up playing one game a year in London.

IrishColt22

I say this as Khan has just purchased Fulham Fc and could be the beginning of the London Jags. Personally i would love this as London is only an hour flight from Ireland and make it much more accessible to get to games as even now that there is two game they sold out pretty sharpish. Jags could us Loftus Road in conjunction, i would say however it isn't that big a stadium in relation to current NFL sizes. still tho the prospect of colts in London every year Loving it :). Thoughts?

I say this as Khan has just purchased Fulham Fc and could be the beginning of the London Jags. Personally i would love this as London is only an hour flight from Ireland and make it much more accessible to get to games as even now that there is two game they sold out pretty sharpish. Jags could us Loftus Road in conjunction, i would say however it isn't that big a stadium in relation to current NFL sizes. still tho the prospect of colts in London every year Loving it :). Thoughts?

I think it would be good for the European fans, but it could be bad for the teams that are asked to play over there. I've never flown across the pond, but I've heard the jet lag can be horrendous, if it hurt the team though..

What is your source of information that the Colts COULD play one game in London every year? 

You made a statement and then offered nothing to support it?

Can you share some information?

Thanks.....

What is your source of information that the Colts COULD play one game in London every year? 

Thanks.....

I think he's saying that if the Jags play a game in London, and we're playing them every year, there's a probability it could be against us.

I hope it never happens and that the NFL gives up on trying to move a team there. The league is perfect, don't mess with it.

Thanks.....

The jags are in our division and if they move to London, the owner of the jags recently purchased Fulham FC, we would play them at home once a year.

I think he's saying that if the Jags play a game in London, and we're playing them every year, there's a probability it could be against us.

I hope it never happens and that the NFL gives up on trying to move a team there. The league is perfect, don't mess with it.

Thanks to you and ColtsGuy510 for the same answer....

The problem is.....  the NFL is not going to have the same team (the Colts) be the AFC south team to play the Jags one game they play over there every year.

That's not going to happen.    There is a zero percent change of that happening.    It'd be one year out of three at best, and more likely one year out 8.....

As to any NFL permanently moving to London?    Put me down for a 100% NO!! on that one.   That team would be at a complete disadvantage with the travel.    

I hope this is nothing more than how the NFL uses the threat of a team moving to Los Angeles in order to get a city to pay more of the costs for a new stadium.

When Glazer bought Man U did you assume that he would move them to Tampa Bay?

The NFL clearly is trying to figure out how to make money in Europe, and Khan is obviously willing to have his team play overseas, but I don't see what his purchase of a soccer team has to do with it one way or another. Wealthy men buy toys when and where they become available. It's ego and return on investment more than the convenience of the owner (who by the way owns a business based in Illinois, not London, and probably has little difficultly flying to the games wherever they are held).

We've had these conversations before, and I'll say again that I find the thought of the NFL expanding overseas utterly appalling. The only rational (and conceivably tolerable to existing fans) method would be to build an independent league over there, and then hold a championship game between the leagues. Much like with the AFL, it wouldn't be considered more than an exhibition game over here until the new league proved itself to be competitive, but it would be harmless - and ultimately perhaps an improvement. But moving an existing club overseas would NOT be harmless, and most certainly would not be an improvement. Incredibly annoying actually. I hate even the way they do it now and the Colts have yet to lose a home game over it. If I was a Jaguars fan I'd be irate.

When Glazer bought Man U did you assume that he would move them to Tampa Bay?

The NFL clearly is trying to figure out how to make money in Europe, and Khan is obviously willing to have his team play overseas, but I don't see what his purchase of a soccer team has to do with it one way or another. Wealthy men buy toys when and where they become available. It's ego and return on investment more than the convenience of the owner (who by the way owns a business based in Illinois, not London, and probably has little difficultly flying to the games wherever they are held).

We've had these conversations before, and I'll say again that I find the thought of the NFL expanding overseas utterly appalling. The only rational (and conceivably tolerable to existing fans) method would be to build an independent league over there, and then hold a championship game between the leagues. Much like with the AFL, it wouldn't be considered more than an exhibition game over here until the new league proved itself to be competitive, but it would be harmless - and ultimately perhaps an improvement. But moving an existing club overseas would NOT be harmless, and most certainly would not be an improvement. Incredibly annoying actually. I hate even the way they do it now and the Colts have yet to lose a home game over it. If I was a Jaguars fan I'd be irate.

Are you familiar with NFL Europe? It's essentially what you described, but it never really got a foothold.

I'm not sure if interest in American football in Europe has grown since '07, but the league seems to think there's an untapped market to be found.

I never did watch too much of NFL Europe, but I did find it cool that they awarded long field goals, over 50 yards I believe, as 4 points instead of three. Though if that was implemented here people would have a riot.

Are you familiar with NFL Europe? It's essentially what you described, but it never really got a foothold.

I'm not sure if interest in American football in Europe has grown since '07, but the league seems to think there's an untapped market to be found.

I never did watch too much of NFL Europe, but I did find it cool that they awarded long field goals, over 50 yards I believe, as 4 points instead of three. Though if that was implemented here people would have a riot.

I know, I had that in the back of my mind - along with the fact that it didn't work. All the more reason to scratch one's head a bit about the leagues apparent enthusiasm for this.

But I still say that a league built from the ground up to be an equal rather than a minor league - with a "championship" game tie in - would have a better chance of succeeding. (Or a better chance of being less damaging to the NFL anyway). The problem of course would be the risk of diluting the NFL if athletes start choosing to play over there. To build a competitive league based on European talent would seem to requires people over there to actually care about it.

Ironically basketball could do this more or less overnight yet they seem to have no interest in doing so. The far more successful NFL should consider asking them why.

I know, I had that in the back of my mind - along with the fact that it didn't work. All the more reason to scratch one's head a bit about the leagues apparent enthusiasm for this.

But I still say that a league built from the ground up to be an equal rather than a minor league - with a "championship" game tie in - would have a better chance of succeeding. (Or a better chance of being less damaging to the NFL anyway). The problem of course would be the risk of diluting the NFL if athletes start choosing to play over there. To build a competitive league based on European talent would seem to requires people over there to actually care about it.

Ironically basketball could do this more or less overnight yet they seem to have no interest in doing so. The far more successful NFL should consider asking them why.

Our "minor league" system for the NFL is the college game. That simply doesn't exist there, in the capacity it does here.

Unless Europe can have home grown stars, they won't attach themselves to franchises in the same way IMO.

Because here, we watch players in college, then see them develop as pros. There's a big investment for most fans.

screw this man if anything there should be more games played in Canada, I know bills fans are * they have to but cmon now there are a lot of bills fans in Toronto, and I can guarantee there is a fan base for a lot of nfl teams in Canada 10 times whatever London can produce, just 2 examples Vikings in southern alberta, seahawks in bc that's just two, and especially the seahawks in Vancouver I guarantee this fan base is more like 50 times nfl fans in all of england

^Science.

cant say its science but what im saying is, there is a lot of die hard nfl fans in Canada just like everyone in the states, compared to england..hold on wait scientific processing...ok maybe 1 out 15 people even watch nfl  never mind being fans

cant say its science but what im saying is, there is a lot of die hard nfl fans in Canada just like everyone in the states, compared to england..hold on wait scientific processing...ok maybe 1 out 15 people even watch nfl never mind being fans

Just messing with you lol.

The NFL could play games all over the world, if t hey were willing to completely change the schedule format. Have teams play every 10 days that would give them plenty of time too travel. I'm not really advocating this but it a way of doing it.

People on NFL network had said that if the Jags move to London it would affect their ability to lure Free agents....I am thinking Yes...that is the reason nobody would go to the Jags its surely not the fact they are horrible..Besides if a team moves to London they have to be called the The London Silly Nannies....

I live in Canada, Edmonton alberta close to the north pole, I bleed blue man, I have seen every colts game since 2003, its part of me, how many people in London can say that

and believe me there are thousands of people like me up here

People on NFL network had said that if the Jags move to London it would affect their ability to lure Free agents....I am thinking Yes...that is the reason nobody would go to the Jags its surely not the fact they are horrible..Besides if a team moves to London they have to be called the The London Silly Nannies....

I would much rather live in London than Jacksonville, but they're are probably correct.

I live in Canada, Edmonton alberta close to the north pole, I bleed blue man, I have seen every colts game since 2003, its part of me, how many people in London can say that

: haha: Well that might be a bit of an exaggeration. I suspect that you're closer to me in NJ than you are to Santa - and we're both a long way from Indy.

There are a lot of Canadian fans on here, and I think it's cool. But I don't understand the jealously tinged anger that you are showing about this issue. Do you (or many others) expect the NFL to expand to Canada? That would require the demolition of the CFL, which I thought was a national treasure. It would be pretty darn rude for the NFL to look in that direction actually. At least the way it is you're all close enough to follow both leagues easily. If the NFL expanded to Canada you would only have one league, and you'd still be rooting for a team half way across the continent.

And either way the Colts aren't moving to Edmonton, so even if the league expanded to Canada it would have virtually no impact on your NFL rooting interest. What does England have to do with it?

By the way, I'd be irritated if the league expanded at all - it's about perfect the way that it is.

Why would they play at Loftus Rd, Fulham play at Craven Cottage (how's that for a ground name :P). Both grounds wouldn't be able to host a NFL game due to size, only suitable venue is Wembley.

I think you read too much into this purchase, like many others I think he just wants a slice of Premiership pie.

There are more cities than London you know. I can't speak for my Southern brethren but I know there's at least one die hard Colt here in the North.

The reason the UK (and Europe) is so attractive is the soccer TV revenue, they look at that and wonder if they could wean away even a small percentage it would be a profitable venture. However I agree no London team at this stage. NFL Europe was a better idea, just too early.

screw this man if anything there should be more games played in Canada, I know bills fans are ticked they have to but cmon now there are a lot of bills fans in Toronto, and I can guarantee there is a fan base for a lot of nfl teams in Canada 10 times whatever London can produce, just 2 examples Vikings in southern alberta, seahawks in bc that's just two, and especially the seahawks in Vancouver I guarantee this fan base is more like 50 times nfl fans in all of england

Well see it ain't just London or English people that go to the London game. See the problem with the NFL Europe was that it was loads of team if you had just one then you have all of Europe to gather supporters from and that means gaining support from a 375 million strong population and there is a lot of interest especially from Germans, French and Dutch when i went over for the Bucs V Bears game two years ago the hotel that  was staying in was about 90% Germans staying there it pulls a huge crowd. As i said above the two games that are getting played this year sold out very quickly. As fro travelling i think if it was to happen it would be the west coast that really suffered i mean i not sure how long it takes to fly San Fran to NYC but NYC to london is about six hours would that be close to cross country flight.

Why would they play at Loftus Rd, Fulham play at Craven Cottage (how's that for a ground name :P). Both grounds wouldn't be able to host a NFL game due to size, only suitable venue is Wembley.

I think you read too much into this purchase, like many others I think he just wants a slice of Premiership pie.

your right there ya know why did i think loftus road. did they use to share that before or was that palace there are so many London teams can't keep track really haha and sure west ham are moving soon as well. suppose they could use the Olympic stadium as well as wembley now.... Also Steel City i guessing Sheffield?.

One right here buster. And I'm going to Indy in October. There is some pretty rabid jealousy about games in London. No Britain, no NFL. Find out about the roots of the game. Get over yourselves. Jet lag? What a joke. Most of these players are clubbing until 5am most nights, and you worry about a 6 hour flight.

I understand why most don't want it to happen, but don't use stupid reasons to try and justify it.

Fire away...

your right there ya know why did i think loftus road. did they use to share that before or was that palace there are so many London teams can't keep track really haha and sure west ham are moving soon as well. suppose they could use the Olympic stadium as well as wembley now.... Also Steel City i guessing Sheffield?.

Correct they did ground share for a couple of seasons, but Loftus Rd is the worst stadium to get to in my experience. Well ok I've been once but it was a nightmare!

Olympic stadium could be interesting, might as well get our money's worth put of it.

Yes too that Steel City is Sheffield home of the mighty Sabres and Warriors :)

Correct they did ground share for a couple of seasons, but Loftus Rd is the worst stadium to get to in my experience. Well ok I've been once but it was a nightmare!

Olympic stadium could be interesting, might as well get our money's worth put of it.

Yes too that Steel City is Sheffield home of the mighty Sabres and Warriors :)

Wednsday or United?