Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Fantastic Article, 2012 Draft Class.

cjwhiskers

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000216667/article/indianapolis-colts-2012-draft-could-be-one-of-nfls-best

Favorite Quote: " Despite awful pass protection, Luck still was entrusted with making the most difficult throws in the league. Unlike Robert Griffin III and Russell Wilson, Luck was outfitted with neither training wheels nor a gimmicky offense."

I just linked this article in another thread, in an ill-fated response to someone claiming that the 2012 draft class has bust written all over it. 

This is a great article. No one knows what's going to happen with our draft class this early, and comparing it to the Steelers '74 class (or any other class, really, after only one year) is way premature. But all indications are that Grigson knocked it out of the park. And we still haven't seen Josh Chapman yet, so it could get even better. Could have gotten contributors instead of Fugger and Anderson, but those are very late picks and hard to criticize. 

I liked the article until they said Luck is a future HoF'er. Yes, he was great last year. He has outstanding potential and played for a sub-par team, but one season doesn't guarantee a HoF career. When statements like that are made, it feels like a jinx. On the Top 100 of 2012, they said the same thing about Cam Newton. I'm weird I guess.

I think it's awesome that people are appreciating our other players. Dwayne Allen was an unsung hero last year to me, along with VB.

I liked the article until they said Luck is a future HoF'er. Yes, he was great last year. He has outstanding potential and played for a sub-par team, but one season doesn't guarantee a HoF career. When statements like that are made, it feels like a jinx. On the Top 100 of 2012, they said the same thing about Cam Newton. I'm weird I guess.

I think it's awesome that people are appreciating our other players. Dwayne Allen was an unsung hero last year to me, along with VB.

A neckbeard on a bust would be freaky unique though.

Personally,  I'm glad this story is out and on the record by people outside this organization...

We've got a small hand full of Colts fans whose opinion of the 2012 class amounts roughly to this....

"I don't give Grigson any credit for Luck...   that was the obvious choice...."

"Fleener didn't impress me at all, and we only took him because he was Luck's college teammate,  not because he was worth the 34th pick..."

"Allen...   well,  OK....   but we should've drafted HIM in the 2nd round and taken someone else in the 3rd!  Or taken Jenkins in the 2nd and Allen where we did...."

"Hilton....   he's small and will never be a #1 WR...   we got lucky..."

"Chapman....   he didn't help us one bit last year....   I'm unimpressed...."

"Brazill didn't show me all that much....   I"m unimpressed...."

"Grigson totally whiffed on Anderson and Flugger....   should've taken someone else...."

"Harnisch....   he'll probably never play a down for the Colts..."

"All in all,  I'm not that impressed with what Grigson did....   He got lucky with Luck....   and the rest,  well...  we'll wait and see..."

Notice a trend?    They see the negative in every pick....

That's the kind of stuff some (not many, but a few)  posters have shared with us....

I confess,  I flat-out don't get those people.....    :dunno:         :scratch:          :facepalm:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000216667/article/indianapolis-colts-2012-draft-could-be-one-of-nfls-best

Favorite Quote: " Despite awful pass protection, Luck still was entrusted with making the most difficult throws in the league. Unlike Robert Griffin III and Russell Wilson, Luck was outfitted with neither training wheels nor a gimmicky offense."

He's crazy. That 7th round has bust written all over it.

(Sarcasm off)

I don't mind our 7th rounders not contributing. I mean, it is the 7th round after all. But with that being said, Mr. Irrelevant of this year's draft (Justice Cunningham) may actually play in a regular season game before Mr. Harnish does

I never expected Fugger to make the team. And Justin Anderson was stopped cause of injury. I look for him to make the 53 this year. Our oline depth isn't exactly the best so I see him pushing for a spot

If Fleener can progress and perform in this new Pep Hamilton offense like he did at Stanford, then we really have something special at TE that rivals what NE had. Ballard and Hilton should continue to improve in their 2nd season if they are used properly. And Chapman I believe will surprise other teams this year.

So yes, this draft class could go down as one of the greats.

I don't mind our 7th rounders not contributing. I mean, it is the 7th round after all. But with that being said, Mr. Irrelevant of this year's draft (Justice Cunningham) may actually play in a regular season game before Mr. Harnish does

I never expected Fugger to make the team. And Justin Anderson was stopped cause of injury. I look for him to make the 53 this year. Our oline depth isn't exactly the best so I see him pushing for a spot

I mind that neither of those 7th rounders even appeared in a preseason game for us. A 7th rounder is always a long shot to make the roster, but if they can at least compete on the field, it helps your team's depth and scouting. If they just aren't good enough, that's one thing; like you say, their 7th rounders. But neither of them even saw the field, making them both wasted picks. I guess Anderson is still around, but I don't have very high hopes for him. We have a lot of options at guard, and his feet are too slow to play tackle.

Harnish might not ever play for us, but at least he got on the field in preseason (and did pretty well, by the way), and was able to contribute on the practice squad. 

Of course, none of this matters. I'm not being critical of Grigson because of a couple of failed 7th rounders. Just wish we had drafted guys who actually played last season.

it is just good for the colts to finally get a little bit of recognition from these so called analysts, between Wilson, rg3 and luck, luck took by far the worst team, with a make shift offensive line, one veteran receiver, a dismal running game (to start the season), and a defense on a complete overhaul...took that and turned 3 wins into 11 and a playoff birth, and this is of one the first analyst to point it out.

Imagine what luck would have done if he was put on the seahawks or the redskins lol

it is just good for the colts to finally get a little bit of recognition from these so called analysts, between Wilson, rg3 and luck, luck took by far the worst team, with a make shift offensive line, one veteran receiver, a dismal running game (to start the season), and a defense on a complete overhaul...took that and turned 3 wins into 11 and a playoff birth, and this is of one the first analyst to point it out.

Imagine what luck would have done if he was put on the seahawks or the redskins lol

Luck gets plenty of recognition from guys who really know the game....Jaworski, Dilfer, Cosell, Bruschi, etc