Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Scoring Auto Review, 4 weeks into season, feeback . . .

Yehoodi

Hi all,

Gotta say that I really like the autoreview for scoring as it saves on coaches challanges, and am heartened by the fact that it has not slowed the game down to any great extent . . . but I have a few thoughts on some changes/modifications . . . before i get to my thoughts i want to say a few things. First, will all rules which are put in place some do not always cover ever possibility or exception and need to be modified or adjusted as time goes on . . . Second, I do like the NFL's policies on its rule as be a broad brush marco level rule as opposed to putting too much interpretations into the hands of the refs, thus the NFL give less options to the refs and at times can be overbroad covering more area than what some think the rule should cover, in exchange for having more consistency [different refs might have different interpretations] . . .

with the above said I would like the see the following modifications

1) A review of an otherwise reviewable play that is separate from the scoring play but occurs on the same play as the scoring play . . .

for instance we have seen a lot of challengable fumbles/incomplete passes or just fumbles that happen on a defensive score, but the it can't be challenged by the coach as it is a scoring play . . . now one hopes that the review booth looks at the fumble, but it might just look at the score portion of the play, and if so, can not over turn the muff fumble call . . . be nice to either have the auto review review everything or give the coach a chance to request a review of the fumble

2) No score called on play

if I am not mistaken if the refs calls no score but the guys "really" scores, the auto review does not come into play [as there was no score] and not sure if coach can still challenge . . . would be nice if the rule would allow the challenge by the coach and/or include the "near' scores into the rule . . . it might be easiet to administered the rule to not include "near" scores and let the coaches challenge the play . . .

3) Dont want to challenge . . .

this is a rare exception but was found in the NE/Bills game when the refs call the RB in for TD with about 1:45 on the clock, thereby giving the Bills a 7 point [w/ PAT] but the pats 1:45 to try to match the 7 points . . .in the old rules perhaps BB doesn't challenge it (and my why maybe he was ape on the sidelines wanted to decline the auto review, plus the fact that he wanted to be allowed to call a TO to stop the clock) give the 7 points in exchange for 2 mins on the clock, instead of 1st & goal for the Blls only needing a FG to break the tie, and we all know how it turned out, smart play by the Bills . . .

not sure what the NFL could do about this, but one simply solution would be to give the option to the team that is "hurt" by the wrong call, the option to decline the result of the review, it would not effect the rule that much and would give the option to the team like the pats above the option to yeild 7 points in exchange for a chance to tie and subsequently win the game . . .

any thoughts on the autoreview 4 weeks in?

Not only do I like it, but it should be broadened to include all turnovers.

The instant replay was the best thing to ever happen to professional sports, but it has been a problem child. I don't like the mini-game aspect of the rules involved. The mini-game goes so far as to include collusion between the home team and the stadiums administrators when they delay showing a controversial replay that may hinder their chances for success.

Little by little, they need to eliminate these odd aspects of the replay.

Not only do I like it, but it should be broadened to include all turnovers.

The instant replay was the best thing to ever happen to professional sports, but it has been a problem child. I don't like the mini-game aspect of the rules involved. The mini-game goes so far as to include collusion between the home team and the stadiums administrators when they delay showing a controversial replay that may hinder their chances for success.

Little by little, they need to eliminate these odd aspects of the replay.

you bring up a good point, the head sets are run by the NFL and not the home teams . . . but the replays are run by the home team and you are correct there is a little home cooking on the replays . . . one way to get around this is to have the NFL take over the in stadium stream, but that might not be the best idea . . .we could either have a policy that all "close" calls are automatically replyed "instantly" or on a simply view, [as you mentioned] have more things auto covered like turnovers and out of bounds catches . . .

Considering the amount of touchdowns that have been reversed thus far, I think it was a pretty good addition...IMO I like the rule more and more each week. It also helps the coaches by saving their challenge flags and not have to waste them on a play that may obviously not be a touchdown...