Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Joe Lefeged Arrested...

icf

I could care less about the fine line between legal and not legal registered gun and ammo.  You should not be carrying a gun while drinking period. Its a bad combo. He also lost any credibility by running from the scene. A innocent man doesn't run from the police.

• Replies 429
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess it makes me wonder what makes supremely gifted athletes throw their futures collectively away? At least in terms of the salaries they could be making down the road if they keep their noses clean...Very few athletes get a true shot at redemption like Michael Vick did.

Okay, part of it is youth & an invincibility complex. Still another part might be poor men from broken homes who get some serious money & they feel as though they are living on borrowed time anyway so live fast, loose, & dangerous. A final segment of athletes might tie their worth to being highly paid to commit violent tackles on a field so therefore all respect in this world is obtained through fear, intimidation, & unleashing physical pain on others...Systematically being praised & financially rewarded for bestowing that punishment consistently. Balancing 2 polar opposites: Physical intimidator vs perfect community role model is easier said than done in some cases especially on defense say a LB or DE. I'm not condoning violence at all. Merely pointing out that athletes from troubled backgrounds have often rarely been taught that there is an off switch or a time not to be violent. 

Perhaps, I am projecting & speculating more than I should be here. I will admit that. I just wanna know what makes an NFL player jeopardize his future? Yes I know it's not a shoe sale. 1 size does not fit or apply to all athletes. 

People do dumb things in all walks of life. Being a professional athlete does not magically bestow some extra wisdom on you. You throw in things like where they grew up, people rarely saying no to them, age, and what they do for a living you get a recipe for this kind of stuff.  Like you said some of these guys are paid big money to be overly competitive, violent, and go all out and to be shocked that sometimes they cannot turn that part off in every day life is naive.  

It is easy for people to sit on their couch with their laptop on their lap and say oh I would never act like that, but most of us just do not have type A personalities or crazy competitive levels that drive these guys.

Then again there are just a lot of stupid people out there that make stupid decisions. Money does not fix stupid.

I could care less about the fine line between legal and not legal registered gun and ammo. You should not be carrying a gun while drinking period. Its a bad combo. He also lost any credibility by running from the scene. A innocent man doesn't run from the police.

he wasn't charged with public intox or fleeing

I think the Colts are smart for waiting to get all of the facts on both Brazill and Lefeged before sending them packing.

I know I am hard on these guys for not doing the right things.  I really wish we knew what Grigs and Pags have in store.  Kravitz feels the Colts are waiting until Grigson gets back from vacation...Lefeged wants to meet with the Colts to tell his story....time will still tell.  I may be for a second chance here...never in trouble before...although I hate the fleeing....

Still want to know the drugs used by Brazill myself....

People do dumb things in all walks of life. Being a professional athlete does not magically bestow some extra wisdom on you. You throw in things like where they grew up, people rarely saying no to them, age, and what they do for a living you get a recipe for this kind of stuff.  Like you said some of these guys are paid big money to be overly competitive, violent, and go all out and to be shocked that sometimes they cannot turn that part off in every day life is naive.  

It is easy for people to sit on their couch with their laptop on their lap and say oh I would never act like that, but most of us just do not have type A personalities or crazy competitive levels that drive these guys.

Then again there are just a lot of stupid people out there that make stupid decisions. Money does not fix stupid.

I never claimed that being an NFL athlete gave anyone a smarter intellect to make better decisions. If anything, my issue or my cause to pause is this: What other legal occupation other than professional football can gifted athletes make a boat load of money? If you do something criminally insane, kiss all that money & future lifestyle goodbye.  Naturally, money doesn't fix stupid, but it does make an athlete's standard of living more comfortable. An athlete doesn't need to be a Rhode Scholar to comprehend that fact even if they come from a poverty stricken background. That was my central thesis Thewholefnshow28 Thank you. 

I think the Colts are smart for waiting to get all of the facts on both Brazill and Lefeged before sending them packing.

I know I am hard on these guys for not doing the right things.  I really wish we knew what Grigs and Pags have in store.  Kravitz feels the Colts are waiting until Grigson gets back from vacation...Lefeged wants to meet with the Colts to tell his story....time will still tell.  I may be for a second chance here...never in trouble before...although I hate the fleeing....

Still want to know the drugs used by Brazill myself....

Me too Brent. I doubt we will ever discover what was in Mr. Brazill's bloodstream either. I would imagine if he remains on the Colts roster he would say to the media that he made a mistake, learned his lesson, & wants to devote his attention to having a successful football season. Man, I hope Grigs decides to keep Brazill. He's so talented on Special Teams; we need him. 

Me too Brent. I doubt we will ever discover what was in Mr. Brazill's bloodstream either. I would imagine if he remains on the Colts roster he would say to the media that he made a mistake, learned his lesson, & wants to devote his attention to having a successful football season. Man, I hope Grigs decides to keep Brazill. He's so talented on Special Teams; we need him. 

He is one player who openly said he loved playing special teams.  You know me....I love that!!!! :thmup:

Some of you amaze me. Cut a guy for traveling into the wrong state with a gun registered in another state but not that one? 

I would bet anything if this were your son and it was his first time in trouble , you would be signing a little different tune. Buying a gun and registering it and being stupid enough to travel in to DC is not really worthy of destroying a guys career. Maybe I'm missing something but I don't see anything charging him with anything else. If they could have charged him with fleeing , intoxication or anything else , we know they would have. As far as this "precedent " stuff , it's always going to be a tough call and I don't think the answer is a zero tolerance.

You rode me pretty hard there, then finish of by saying it's a tough call? You have no idea about my tune signing if it were my son. None whatsoever. Take your loose morale standards and keep them to yourself. It's your prerogative. As it is mine. If we keep him it will be a mistake. And learn to understand tongue in cheek (Bengals comment).

You rode me pretty hard there, then finish of by saying it's a tough call? You have no idea about my tune signing if it were my son. None whatsoever. Take your loose morale standards and keep them to yourself. It's your prerogative. As it is mine. If we keep him it will be a mistake. And learn to understand tongue in cheek (Bengals comment).

"Loose moral standards"???

I think we're taking this a little too seriously...

I just have a problem with the fact that some on this board want Lefeged cut without even hearing all the facts. I read a few of your post and don't see where you even hint at waiting for all the facts to come out. IMO , this offense is not serious enough to warrent this kind of severe action. In the case of Brazil , at least we know it's his 2nd offense and we can presume that it's a pot violation. 

Now that said , you are kidding with that silly post above ... right ? It's morally wrong to carry a registered gun a few mies from your state into another state ? Yes it's against DC laws , but to call me morally lacking is a huge joke and yea I would bet that you would not want your son fired if this shoe was on his foot. 

Lastly , don't try to hide from the " Cinn." comment. I have a dry and very good sense of humor and there was nothing to even hint that your comment was meant to be" tongue in cheek." 

I just have a problem with the fact that some on this board want Lefeged cut without even hearing all the facts. I read a few of your post and don't see where you even hint at waiting for all the facts to come out. IMO , this offense is not serious enough to warrent this kind of severe action. In the case of Brazil , at least we know it's his 2nd offense and we can presume that it's a pot violation. 

Now that said , you are kidding with that silly post above ... right ? It's morally wrong to carry a registered gun a few mies from your state into another state ? Yes it's against DC laws , but to call me morally lacking is a huge joke and yea I would bet that you would not want your son fired if this shoe was on his foot. 

Lastly , don't try to hide from the " Cinn." comment. I have a dry and very good sense of humor and there was nothing to even hint that your comment was meant to be" tongue in cheek."

You are so wrong on so many counts that it is bordering on pathetic. I'll leave it at that.

actually, it sounded like he nailed it to me.

If you think running around in a car, drinking, with a loaded gun, and then running away from the police is the behaviour we aspire to within the Colts organisation, then I can only presume your standards are so low, winning means everything to you.

Bill Polian gets blasted for being arrogant, and not doing a really good job in his past few years, yet we have scrubs behaving illegally and you all think it's fine? If that is your definition of 'nailed', then I'm glad I don't really know you.

If you think running around in a car, drinking, with a loaded gun, and then running away from the police is the behaviour we aspire to within the Colts organisation, then I can only presume your standards are so low, winning means everything to you.

Bill Polian gets blasted for being arrogant, and not doing a really good job in his past few years, yet we have scrubs behaving illegally and you all think it's fine? If that is your definition of 'nailed', then I'm glad I don't really know you.

Who said anything about "aspiring" to this kind of behavior? Dw49 simply said we should wait until more information comes out before deciding.

And then you decided to be the judge of everyone else's moral character.

By the way, players got in trouble when Bill Polian was here, too. Most of them got a second chance.

Who said anything about "aspiring" to this kind of behavior? Dw49 simply said we should wait until more information comes out before deciding.

By the way, players got in trouble when Bill Polian was here, too. Most of them got a second chance.

You are kidding yourself. He has done more than enough to spit on the comments of the coach. Hiding behind the 'innocent' until proven guilty' charade is tiresome.

That said, I will duck out of this now, as I'm in danger of offending the people who I respect and admire on here (you, Jvan etc).

I'm off to Hyde Park, to mingle with the crowd before the Stones concert (going to the actual gig next week).

Over.

You are so wrong on so many counts that it is bordering on pathetic. I'll leave it at that.

You are kidding yourself. He has done more than enough to spit on the comments of the coach. Hiding behind the 'innocent' until proven guilty' charade is tiresome.

That said, I will duck out of this now, as I'm in danger of offending the people who I respect and admire on here (you, Jvan etc).

I'm off to Hyde Park, to mingle with the crowd before the Stones concert (going to the actual gig next week).

Over.

I haven't read through the whole thread , so probably already mentioned Shawn King , who  was Polian's guy. Here's what I found on him going into the season that Polian signed him as a free agent. 

Shawn King was drafted in the second round of the 1995 draft by the Carolina Panthers. King was first drug violation came in 1995 during his rookie training camp after testing positive for marijuana. King played in 13 games his rookie season and in all 16 games the following season. However after testing positive again, King was suspended for the first six games of the 1997 season, only appearing in 9 games. After yet another positive test, King found himself suspended for the entire 1998 season. Prior to the 1999 season, King signed a three-year, $6 million contract with the Indianapolis Colts and started 8 of the teams first 9 games, but was suspended again (along with teammate Tito Wooten), this time for four games due to showing up late to a meeting. The Colts later cut King and he was suspended yet again by the league for 12 months for another drug violation and missed the entire 2000 season. 

I don't even care what happens to Lefeged or Brazill anymore. Just start Training Camp and let the front office worry about what to do with them. It's not like they can't be replaced. And if they stay, then so be it. Make a example by applying some form of punishment then let's move on

Very long thread, but glad that I took the time to read through it.  Reminds me after all the hateful and snide off the topic comments why I don't bother to post things much anymore or try to share my opinions.   Have  super day everyone and hello to my few forum friends on here.

Over.

Based on what we know, I think Lefeged should be released. But I don't have a problem with management making a decision based on what they think is best, as I don't really think this issue has the potential to undermine the integrity of the entire program.

Where I think you're off base and a little extreme is when you start talking about others "loose moral values" just because they aren't down with your whole scarlet letter / public stoning thing. I understand making an example of him and all that, but I don't think that's basis on which the team should make their decision. And I don't think that a different decision necessarily means that they are only about winning at all costs.

I'm not offended, and I hope you're not either. I just see this differently than you do, even though I agree that this offense is grounds for termination.

Based on what we know, I think Lefeged should be released. But I don't have a problem with management making a decision based on what they think is best, as I don't really think this issue has the potential to undermine the integrity of the entire program.

Where I think you're off base and a little extreme is when you start talking about others "loose moral values" just because they aren't down with your whole scarlet letter / public stoning thing. I understand making an example of him and all that, but I don't think that's basis on which the team should make their decision. And I don't think that a different decision necessarily means that they are only about winning at all costs.

I'm not offended, and I hope you're not either. I just see this differently than you do, even though I agree that this offense is grounds for termination.

You have misread me Superman. I'd stone him behind closed doors....we've probably done this to death now. Let's see what the people who count, think....

You have misread me Superman. I'd stone him behind closed doors....we've probably done this to death now. Let's see what the people who count, think....

Oh yeah, absolutely. I know my opinion doesn't matter. Grigson and Pagano (and Irsay) are going to do what they think is best, whether I agree with it or not. And I'm fine with that. Those are three guys who have earned a lot of respect in my book, especially when they're all working together. 

But I will mention again that I expect Lefeged to be released, and I don't really have a problem with that decision. I just don't think we should determine beforehand, from afar, that a different decision is necessarily a bad thing for the team. Grigson and Pagano know what they're doing.

Very long thread, but glad that I took the time to read through it.  Reminds me after all the hateful and snide off the topic comments why I don't bother to post things much anymore or try to share my opinions.   Have  super day everyone and hello to my few forum friends on here.

Yes, this is a very long thread. It reminds me of a commencement speaker at my first college graduation: thorough, long winded, & after 15 minutes or 3 pages public interest fades fast & no one remembers or cares what the original topic was anymore. Nice to see you posting again CM51  :thmup:  SW1 always values your insights & feedback my friend. Never forget that. Thank you.

I for one miss ya Coltman51!!!  Would love to get your insight during the season!!  I value your football knowledge...love talking football with those who love and know the game...so fun!  :)