Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Congrats to Peyton for ranking #2

unitaswestand

Good point there.....Flacco was BOSS in the playoffs and I don't care what anyone says about him and the excuses made. He made it happen.

As for Rodgers, he is the best of the top QBs still in his prime IMO. Until Andrew takes over obviously which might be sooner then later.... ;)

Flacco had Cam Cameron calling plays for the longest time. I wonder if he can carry over his playoff mojo into the regular season with Jim Caldwell calling plays. They did no favors for him by trading Boldin, at least that is what I feel.

Say what you want, the Ravens' D has always travelled well on the road in the playoffs. It had always been a constant in Flacco's playoff wins, even when he was mediocre. This was truly the only playoff run where his numbers were off the charts offensively consistently and no wonder that put the Ravens over the hump.

As far as Andrew, the weak AFC is for him to seize by the horns in the next couple of years, I feel good about Andrew's chances a few years down the road than about RG3, Kaepernick, and RW's chances in a stronger NFC. Andrew is in the right spot at the right time, IMO.

This belongs in NFL General.    18 is wearing the wrong jersey right now to be discussed here.  Forum rules on what threads go where are a dime a dozen and enforcement here is as arbitrary as it comes it seems.  ha,ha. Whatever.

:bored::thinking: :bag:  :slaphead: :omg::sigh::violin: :mod: :pcsmash::Nuke:  No soup for you ....

The top 5 is wrong.

1. Peyton Manning

2. Adrian Peterson

3. Tom Brady

4. JJ Watt

5. Aaron Rodgers

Where was Johnson for half of the season? He should be in the number 6 or 7 position.

I know right, he only broke the single season record for receiving yards. No big deal.

NFL network  AM said AP & JJ should be 1 & 2 why , they said they both set them apart beyond comparison to any player at same position ( sure Von Miller would say something about how far ahead JJ is than he in comparison )

and top 3 QBs, Peyton, Bradyy, & Rodgers are all just so good that no one stands heads and shoulders above the other , only above  the rest of the QB pact therefore u cant put a QB at # 1 or 2 

Now that's weird, just because u have 3 great QB,s it takes away from the other  making each just another top QB but nothing special compared  within  that group of 3  in what they can do compared to each other & thus cant be voted less than # 3 and Peyton at 2 was a mistake 

NFL network  AM said AP & JJ should be 1 & 2 why , they said they both set them apart beyond comparison to any player at same position ( sure Von Miller would say something about how far ahead JJ is than he in comparison ) ( WHEN SAID SAME POSITION MEANT RB  & DL  / LB  as Miller was noted in conversation)

and top 3 QBs, Peyton, Bradyy, & Rodgers are all just so good that no one stands heads and shoulders above the other , only above  the rest of the QB pact therefore u cant put a QB at # 1 or 2 

Now that's weird, just because u have 3 great QB,s it takes away from the other  making each just another top QB but nothing special compared  within  that group of 3  in what they can do compared to each other & thus cant be voted less than # 3 and Peyton at 2 was a mistake 

Rodgers should be the first QB on the list.

YEAH I SAID IT so what. :bored:

I admire your loyalty to Rogers Jules. I truly do, but what are you gonna do when he walks a bride down the aisle & it's not you? Crash the wedding? I do enjoy a dramatic entrance... haha

As far as Andrew, the weak AFC is for him to seize by the horns in the next couple of years, I feel good about Andrew's chances a few years down the road than about RG3, Kaepernick, and RW's chances in a stronger NFC. Andrew is in the right spot at the right time, IMO.

I think Luck, Dalton, Tannehill and Flacco will be the cream of the crop in the AFC once Brady retires

I think Luck, Dalton, Tannehill and Flacco will be the cream of the crop in the AFC once Brady retires

While I don't think that he will measure up to Luck, or even Flacco....I'm curious to see what Norv Turner can do in Cleveland with Weedon and Richardson.

Rodgers should be the first QB on the list.

YEAH I SAID IT so what. :bored:

I agree. He should be #1, actually. He just put together the best two year stretch of quarterbacking in league history. I think two things happened to knock him down: 1) He wasn't quite as spectacular in 2012 as he was in 2011, and the Packers struggled a little bit, so the novelty kind of wore off, and 2) Peyton Manning was the sensational story, coming back from injury, and he played himself into MVP form. At the end of the day, this is entirely unscientific, which means that emotions and preference can rule the day, and I think that's why Manning was #2, as much as anything else.

As a Manning fan, I'm glad that he still gets that respect and recognition from his peers. But objectively, he wasn't the second best player in the NFL last year. And AP wasn't the first best player. I think those two deserved 1 and 2 in MVP voting. But not this list.

My top ten would be:

1) Rodgers

2) Watt

3) Peterson

4) Manning

5) Brady

6) Brees

7) V. Miller

8) Calvin Johnson

9) Aldon Smith

10) A. Foster

And I could nitpick with that all day long.

I agree. He should be #1, actually. He just put together the best two year stretch of quarterbacking in league history. I think two things happened to knock him down: 1) He wasn't quite as spectacular in 2012 as he was in 2011, and the Packers struggled a little bit, so the novelty kind of wore off, and 2) Peyton Manning was the sensational story, coming back from injury, and he played himself into MVP form. At the end of the day, this is entirely unscientific, which means that emotions and preference can rule the day, and I think that's why Manning was #2, as much as anything else.

As a Manning fan, I'm glad that he still gets that respect and recognition from his peers. But objectively, he wasn't the second best player in the NFL last year. And AP wasn't the first best player. I think those two deserved 1 and 2 in MVP voting. But not this list.

My top ten would be:

1) Rodgers

2) Watt

3) Peterson

4) Manning

5) Brady

6) Brees

7) V. Miller

8) Calvin Johnson

9) Aldon Smith

10) A. Foster

No way Foster and Smith are top 10 players imo. Smith is barely a top 12 pass rusher and is mediocre at everything else and Foster was just plain awful this year.

No way Foster and Smith are top 10 players imo. Smith is barely a top 12 pass rusher and is mediocre at everything else and Foster was just plain awful this year.

squinty-leo.jpg

In what way was Arian Foster "just plain awful"??? He had a couple of bad games, but for the most part, he was his usual great self. And he was outstanding in the playoffs.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/F/FostAr00.htm

Aldon Smith is the guy that I think there's the biggest gripe for. I could see taking him out of the top ten. But barely a top 12 pass rusher? I know he's in a great defense and benefits tremendously from Justin Smith, but he's an outstanding pass rusher in his own right. I'm not really concerned about whether he's good at anything else, not if he can get to the quarterback 20+ times a season.

Who would you put in the top ten over those two?

In what way was Arian Foster "just plain awful"??? He had a couple of bad games, but for the most part, he was his usual great self. And he was outstanding in the playoffs.

He had a 4.1 YPC (23rd in the league) and a 5.4 YPC (absolutely awful) while being one of the least elusive runningbacks in the league and picking up extremely marginal yards after contact. He would essentially  run through a hole his O-line opened up for him and fall down when he was touched. On top of that, he was utterly useless as a 3rrd down back. He dropped 5 passes and was awful as a pass blocker. His production looks better than it actually is because he got a ridiculous amount of touches.

Aldon Smith is the guy that I think there's the biggest gripe for. I could see taking him out of the top ten. But barely a top 12 pass rusher? I know he's in a great defense and benefits tremendously from Justin Smith, but he's an outstanding pass rusher in his own right. I'm not really concerned about whether he's good at anything else, not if he can get to the quarterback 20+ times a season.

Who would you put in the top ten over those two?

Smith rushed the passer 271 times. Top 5 in the league. But he only came away with 35 pressures. He get's a lot of sacks, but he's inconsistent in getting to the passer. I'd trade a few sacks for a guy who constantly get's pressure on the QB.

As to who would I put above them? Geno Atkins and one of these guys: Duane Brown, Eric Weddle, Cameron Wake, Chris Long, Kyle Williams and CJ Spiller.

He had a 4.1 YPC (23rd in the league) and a 5.4 YPC (absolutely awful) while being one of the least elusive runningbacks in the league and picking up extremely marginal yards after contact. He would literally run through a hole his O-line opened up for him and fall down when he was touched. On top of that, he was utterly useless as a 3rrd down back. He dropped 5 passes and was awful as a pass blocker. His production looks better than it actually is because he got a ridiculous amount of touches.

Chris Johnson, 6.4 Y/R

Adrian Peterson, 5.4 Y/R

It's nothing to write home about, but it's not absolutely awful. I think you're being hyperbolic.

And the thing is, he's their primary ball carrier. That's his major contribution. As Peterson's Y/R shows, you can be a dominant ball carrier and not be a standout receiving option. But I think his receiving numbers were more a function of his role in the offense than his ability. He was also nursing injuries most of the year.

Him not being top ten is one thing. I just think your criticisms are over the top. "Absolutely awful," "useless," "awful," "just plain awful"... Not even close. He was incredibly productive, easily a top five back. I have him at #2, just ahead of Alfred Morris. Again, this can all be nitpicked, but to hear you describe him, he's not even starter material. He was nothing but one of the best backs in the league.

Smith rushed the passer 271 times. Top 5 in the league. But he only came away with 35 pressures. He get's a lot of sacks, but he's inconsistent in getting to the passer. I'd trade a few sacks for a guy who constantly get's pressure on the QB.

As to who would I put above them? Geno Atkins and one of these guys: Duane Brown, Eric Weddle, Cameron Wake, Chris Long, Kyle Williams.

Pressure percentage doesn't take into consideration the blocking schemes. All things equal, I'll take a guy who makes the blocking adjust to account for him, like Aldon Smith. Assuming I can't have JJ Watt, Clay Matthews, or Von Miller...

And again, he's not THE BEST pass rusher in the league, but he's one of the best. I disagree with your characterization of him as barely top 12.

Atkins, Wake, Long, good choices. I don't think Brown, Weddle or Williams belong in the top ten, or near it, really. I'd take Clady, Thomas and even Kalil ahead of Brown. 

My top ten would be:

1) Rodgers

2) Watt

3) Peterson

4) Manning

5) Brady

6) Brees

7) V. Miller

8) Calvin Johnson

9) Aldon Smith

10) A. Foster

I didn't think taking 2011 into account was the right thing to do, I'd have Brees as #1, Brady 2, Manning 3, Peterson 4 but I made a top 25 list which was different so obviously it can go back and forth all day long, Calvin Johnson while extremely impressive had his best game of the season of 13 receptions against us, Most of them came against Vaughn so I mean I find that performance hard to take serious, Great statistical performance no doubt but it was a given that was going to happen, Not something that would come as a surprise, The numbers below are the yards he gave up per completed pass against him, The second list of numbers is how many times he was targeted (I did this by watching NFL Rewind, Its plain as day that they wanted to target him early and often)

1 11 yards

2 14 yards

3 7 yards

4 5 yards

5 32 yards

6 13 yards

7 11 yards

8  8  yards

101 total yards

(12.6 yards per completion against him)

The longest catch of the day 46 yards for Johnson was on Davis

Targeted

Chris Johnson, 6.4 Y/R

Adrian Peterson, 5.4 Y/R

6.4 is mediocre and 5.4 is awful. Peterson is just as bad a receiver as Foster.

Chris Johnson, 6.4 Y/R

Adrian Peterson, 5.4 Y/R

It's nothing to write home about, but it's not absolutely awful. I think you're being hyperbolic.

And the thing is, he's their primary ball carrier. That's his major contribution. As Peterson's Y/R shows, you can be a dominant ball carrier and not be a standout receiving option. But I think his receiving numbers were more a function of his role in the offense than his ability. He was also nursing injuries most of the year.

I agree that you can be a dominant ball carrier and be a less than stellar receiving option and still be one of the best RBs in the league. 

Problem is, Foster isn't a dominating ball carrier. He had a below average YPC (4.1) bottom ten in forced miss tackles (1 every 11 touches) and bottom 10 in yards after contact (2.18). He hasn't been a dominant runner since 2010. He's declined every year he's been in the league. People for some reason like to judge him by his volume stats instead of his efficiency for some reason and I'm not sure why. He gets a ton of rushing yards, but he has only had a slightly above average YPC the past 2 years (4.3). 

I'm not sure how a 10% drop rate (bottom 12 in the league for runningbacks) or a 5.4 Y/R (one of the worst in the league for RBs) is a system problem when he's had better numbers as a receiver in 2010 and 2011 when they were running the same system.

Him not being top ten is one thing. I just think your criticisms are over the top. "Absolutely awful," "useless," "awful," "just plain awful"... Not even close. He was incredibly productive, easily a top five back. I have him at #2, just ahead of Alfred Morris. Again, this can all be nitpicked, but to hear you describe him, he's not even starter material. He was nothing but one of the best backs in the league.

Morris is infinitely better than him as a runner. But Morris is awful as a receiver (probably the only RB in the league who's worse then Peterson and Foster in this regard).

Not really related, but I prefer CJ Spiller.

Spiller had 1,703 yards from scrimmage and averaged 6.8 yards per touch. He only dropped one pass on the season and was top 3 in yards per route run.

He had 3.6 yards after contact (2nd behind Peterson) and forced a redonkulous 66 missed tackles. Peterson forced 71 miss tackles, but AP also touched the ball 130 more times than Spiller.

So he was about just as good a runner as AP and the best receiving back in the league.

Pressure percentage doesn't take into consideration the blocking schemes. All things equal, I'll take a guy who makes the blocking adjust to account for him, like Aldon Smith. Assuming I can't have JJ Watt, Clay Matthews, or Von Miller...

Almost all of the top pass rushers in the league make the defense account for them. You don't think that O-lines accounted for Cameron Wake or Chris Long? Neither of these guys were surrounded by a ton of all-pros to take the pressure off and all managed to get pressure at a higher rate. And both were way better in the run game as well. 

Atkins, Wake, Long, good choices. I don't think Brown, Weddle or Williams belong in the top ten, or near it, really. I'd take Clady, Thomas and even Kalil ahead of Brown. 

Brown is the best LT in football. He's top 5 in pass blocking and the best run blocker in the league. Clady is a good pass blocker (they're arguably neck and neck in this regard) but Brown's run blocking put him over the top. Kalil is good in both aspects, but not as good as Brown in either. 

Weddle is the best safety in the league. He only allowed a 54.3 passer rating when thrown into his coverage and was the best run stopper in the league when he was moved into the box.

Williams is a very, very good pass rusher. 2nd in DTs behind only Atkins. Now that I think about it, I'd put Gerald McCoy over Williams actually.

I agree that you can be a dominant ball carrier and be a less than stellar receiving option and still be one of the best RBs in the league. 

Problem is, Foster isn't a dominating ball carrier. He had a below average YPC (4.1) bottom ten in forced miss tackles (1 every 11 touches) and bottom 10 in yards after contact (2.18). He hasn't been a dominant runner since 2010. He's declined every year he's been in the league. People for some reason like to judge him by his volume stats instead of his efficiency for some reason and I'm not sure why. He gets a ton of rushing yards, but he has only had a slightly above average YPC the past 2 years (4.3). 

I'm not sure how a 10% drop rate (bottom 12 in the league for runningbacks) or a 5.4 Y/R (one of the worst in the league for RBs) is a system problem when he's had better numbers as a receiver in 2010 and 2011 when they were running the same system.

Morris is infinitely better than him as a runner. But Morris is awful as a receiver (probably the only RB in the league who's worse then Peterson and Foster in this regard).

Spiller had 1,703 yards from scrimmage and averaged 6.8 yards per touch. He only dropped one pass on the season and was top 3 in yards per route run.

He had 3.6 yards after contact (2nd behind Peterson) and forced a redonkulous 66 missed tackles. Peterson forced 71 miss tackles, but AP also touched the ball 130 more times than Spiller.

So he was about just as good a runner as AP and the best receiving back in the league.

Almost all of the top pass rushers in the league make the defense account for them. You don't think that O-lines accounted for Cameron Wake or Chris Long? Neither of these guys were surrounded by a ton of all-pros to take the pressure off and all managed to get pressure at a higher rate. And both were way better in the run game as well. 

Brown is the best LT in football. He's top 5 in pass blocking and the best run blocker in the league. Clady is a good pass blocker (they're arguably neck and neck in this regard) but Brown's run blocking put him over the top. Kalil is good in both aspects, but not as good as Brown in either. 

Weddle is the best safety in the league. He only allowed a 54.3 passer rating when thrown into his coverage and was the best run stopper in the league when he was moved into the box.

Williams is a very, very good pass rusher. 2nd in DTs behind only Atkins. Now that I think about it, I'd put Gerald McCoy over Williams actually.

How many sacks does that site say Brown gave up last year

Not sure, but he only gave up 15 pressures on 399 pass blocks.

Brown played in and started every game this past year and the Texans threw the ball 554 times, I have my doubts that Brown was out for 155 of those. thats 9.6 pass plays per game, Thats alot of passes for a Left Tackle no matter how goor or how bad to be out of, Something sounds a little fishy

My top ten would be:

1) Rodgers

2) Watt

3) Peterson

4) Manning

5) Brady

6) Brees

7) V. Miller

8) Calvin Johnson

9) Aldon Smith

10) A. Foster

Good post. I agree.

It was nice to see Manning land at #2. But all I want is a 2nd SB ring #18. You have Welker now. Get it done. No excuses anymore. It's time...Your NFL legacy depends on it...RB Montee Ball represent WI with pride. Don't embarrass me now protect Peyton & pass block exceptionally well thank you.

JJ Watt should have been much closer to the top of the list too...A travesty man...No other way to say it...When will list compilers ever learn that pass rushers are so much more important than WRs or TEs? Football is real simple. Intimidate the QB & take away the ball. Sigh...

NFL network  AM said AP & JJ should be 1 & 2 why , they said they both set them apart beyond comparison to any player at same position ( sure Von Miller would say something about how far ahead JJ is than he in comparison )

I just wish I would see NFL QBs compared to the opposing LBs, DEs, safeties, & secondaries they actually face in a game as opposed to fellow field generals personally. It's like linking the greatness of NASCAR drivers not to other rivals on the track, but rather to their pit crews. Yes, pit crews are important to any victory, but they aren't passing another car in the final lap for the checkered winning flag either. My point is judge positions against the real people trying to slow you down & cripple your Championship hopes.

I just wish I would see NFL QBs compared to the opposing LBs, DEs, safeties, & secondaries they actually face in a game as opposed to fellow field generals personally. It's like linking the greatness of NASCAR drivers not to other rivals on the track, but rather to their pit crews. Yes, pit crews are important to any victory, but they aren't passing another car in the final lap for the checkered winning flag either. My point is judge positions against the real people trying to slow you down & cripple your Championship hopes.

just to clarify, i wasn't saying AP didn't deserve # 1, just the reasoning these particular analysts would put JJ watt  at 2 above the 3 top QBs wasn't sound to me, not that JJ isnt great , just thought their reasoning made no sense

just to clarify, i wasn't saying AP didn't deserve # 1, just the reasoning these particular analysts would put JJ watt  at 2 above the 3 top QBs wasn't sound to me, not that JJ isnt great , just thought their reasoning made no sense

I know that Barry my friend. I wasn't upset with you at all. I understand your point perfectly & I agree with you 100%. :thmup:

I know that Barry my friend. I wasn't upset with you at all. I understand your point perfectly & I agree with you 100%. :thmup:

sometimes my head is spinning so much, bad news ( personnaly not AH )  this week but pressing on, I dont know m,y meaning after i read what i wrote, never thought u were or meant to imply u were  upset though

sometimes my head is spinning so much, bad news ( personnaly not AH )  this week but pressing on, I dont know m,y meaning after i read what i wrote, never thought u were or meant to imply u were  upset though

Hang in there buddy! Just send me a personal message if you need to chat or get something off your chest brother. I do respect your privacy either way whether you want to discuss matters further or not. I'm here for Ya if you need me alright. ;)

Hang in there buddy! Just send me a personal message if you need to chat or get something off your chest brother. I do respect your privacy either way whether you want to discuss matters further or not. I'm here for Ya if you need me alright. ;)

I put this in top 100 just now and then saw this topic again , to late to delete other but more appropriate here 

I'm Off now, catch u later

VIDEO  INTRO OF PEYTON AS # 2 , with Video of plays of him getting creamed as other team NFL players talk about that  & Peyton not caring about it or limiting himself to avoid it and then goes on to other subjects on him narrated by opposing players , computer in his head etc

4:15 mark Seahawks DE Michael Bennet says Hes a football god among mortals

Watch the 1:50 mark Manning throws running right across body to stokely for TD, thats why he tried it in Ravens playoff loss and if not for cold / numbness and by then esp in OT, just lack of strength and I am not saying he should of thrown it under those circumstances at that point , it just shows normally he can do that

http://www.nfl.com/v...ett-C-J-Spiller

I put this in top 100 just now and then saw this topic again , to late to delete other but more appropriate here 

I'm Off now, catch u later

VIDEO  INTRO OF PEYTON AS # 2 , with Video of plays of him getting creamed as other team NFL players talk about that  & Peyton not caring about it or limiting himself to avoid it and then goes on to other subjects on him narrated by opposing players , computer in his head etc

4:15 mark Seahawks DE Michael Bennet says Hes a football god among mortals

Watch the 1:50 mark Manning throws running right across body to stokely for TD, thats why he tried it in Ravens playoff loss and if not for cold / numbness and by then esp in OT, just lack of strength and I am not saying he should of thrown it under those circumstances at that point , it just shows normally he can do that

http://www.nfl.com/v...ett-C-J-Spiller

When Ronde Barber sings #18 praises after all these years that means something special man. Nice! :thmup:

Brown played in and started every game this past year and the Texans threw the ball 554 times, I have my doubts that Brown was out for 155 of those. thats 9.6 pass plays per game, Thats alot of passes for a Left Tackle no matter how goor or how bad to be out of, Something sounds a little fishy

I may be wrong, but I think the table I'm using only goes through the first 12 games of the season. Premium stats say he gave up 19 pressures on 553 pass attempts. I guess he missed 1 play or something.

It was nice to see Manning land at #2. But all I want is a 2nd SB ring #18. You have Welker now. Get it done. No excuses anymore. It's time...Your NFL legacy depends on it...RB Montee Ball represent WI with pride. Don't embarrass me now protect Peyton & pass block exceptionally well thank you.

JJ Watt should have been much closer to the top of the list too...A travesty man...No other way to say it...When will list compilers ever learn that pass rushers are so much more important than WRs or TEs? Football is real simple. Intimidate the QB & take away the ball. Sigh...

Just because they're more important doesn't mean that they're better. 

That said, JJ Watt should have been ahead of Calvin Johnson.

We obviously have much different opinions on Foster. And Peterson. I don't think either of them are poor receivers. I think they don't get called on to catch a lot of passes, particularly in 2012. (And by the way, that's what I meant when talking about his role in the offense, not that the offense changed, but that they didn't use him as a receiver as much, and when they did, it was in different situations.) And five drops isn't the end of the world. You're making it seem like he has stone hands. Foster was more of a volume producer in 2012 than he had been before that, that's for sure. It wasn't his best year. But my primary contention is that you said he was "just plain awful." He's their bellcow, he paces their ground game, and does a good job of it.

I also like Spiller and Morris. Spiller was excellent last season, but I think that's his maximum output, because I don't think he can handle significantly more touches. And Morris is a really good runner, but I'd like to see him continue to produce when Griffin isn't on the field.

I never said anything bad about either of those guys. They were better in the run game, but that doesn't mean Aldon Smith wasn't a great pass rusher in 2012.

Good thoughts all around.

Good point there.....Flacco was BOSS in the playoffs and I don't care what anyone says about him and the excuses made. He made it happen.

As for Rodgers, he is the best of the top QBs still in his prime IMO. Until Andrew takes over obviously which might be sooner then later.... ;)

You have to include the ENTIRE season.  Cant judge a player totally on what he does in the playoffs..

What did Adrian Peterson do in the post-season without Christian Ponder at QB?

Not so good.

The top 5 is wrong.

1. Peyton Manning

2. Adrian Peterson

3. Tom Brady

4. JJ Watt

5. Aaron Rodgers

Where was Johnson for half of the season? He should be in the number 6 or 7 position.

This ranking is correct....Brady led the NFL's No.1 offense.

.AP was great last year but he was great after an injury many return from in the town where he's been for years.

Manning had a 'career-ending' injury and he was released..from his team

..and he still led the No. 2 offense for the team with the No.1 record in the AFC..and resurrected a .500 team that lost 4 of their last 5 games the year before.....

What Peyton Manning did last year will eventually be seen as the greatest comeback in the modern history of the NFL...