Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Imagine if we had used a 1st round pick to get Painter

hockey878

Yeah, cuz Manning was gone and they needed a QB in the draft.

What a steal to get Painter in the 7th!

Oh wait...thats not what happened at all.

Compare a team that had no QB to one with the best QB of all time....makes perfect sense....and its not like Sanchez has stunk it up. There are worse QBs out there....

Thats basically what the jets did!! haha. Mark Sanchez gets worse and worse with each pass.

Just imagine if the Colts had used a 1st round draft pick to get Michael Vick, hahahah!!!!!! Love seeing the nightmare team @ 1-3. 400 yards passing and they still lose.

If Curtis Can throw for 300 yards the Colts would be golden.

In terms of Sanchise that game last night was an offensive mess. Flacco was horrible himself, Ray Rice was the only good offensive player pretty much.

I think that some of you are being a bit rough on the OP. I don't know if the following is exactly his point, but I still have something to say in the matter:

I live in the NY market - which obviously has far and away the largest media presence in the country, many of which delight in brutalizing their teams. Mark Sanchez was obviously a very high draft pick, and for virtually his entire career he has had the luxury of playing with one of the best running games and best defenses in the league. They've even gotten him some decent receivers. He has started 35 times, been to two AFC Championship games, and is treated like a matinee idol by the fans.

Despite all of that, it is hard to escape the fact that he is a below average QB. They put him on the podium each week and everyone talks about growing pains with stern looks on their faces - but he has so little positive input on the outcome of any given game that it comes across as forced and uncomfortable. I can't hear it without thinking "THIRTY-FIVE GAMES - do you honestly think that this guy is suddenly going to turn into a franchise QB? Put any one of 15 other QBs on that roster and they become an elite team waltzing through the regular season." The respect comes entirely from the draft pick and the contract (and his fan appeal frankly). The Colts are FAR from the only team who gives high draft picks more leeway than low draft picks.

The point is that Painter has people making fun of his appearance instead of treating him like Paul Newman, I see far more people actively disparaging him - and far more mean spiritedly - than I ever see Sanchez receive here, and he has been allowed to start exactly ZERO games in three years, as opposed to Sanchez's THIRTY-FIVE.

Considering all that, and the way people talk about Brown, Hughes and Gonzalez - can you IMAGINE how people here would treat Painter if they actually had inherent expectations that he would be a star? They are jerks to him now - what would they do if he were a first rounder? Tar and Feather him? Burn his house down?

There was no reason to have high expectations about Painter - a sixth rounder is largely a throw away pick. Yet personally I see far more potential in him than I ever have in Sanchez. IF Painter does manage to win a few games during this horrid season, fans shouldn't act as if he was "just doing his job". It would actually be an exceptional feat.

I think that some of you are being a bit rough on the OP. I don't know if the following is exactly his point, but I still have something to say in the matter:

I live in the NY market - which obviously has far and away the largest media presence in the country, many of which delight in brutalizing their teams. Mark Sanchez was obviously a very high draft pick, and for virtually his entire career he has had the luxury of playing with one of the best running games and best defenses in the league. They've even gotten him some decent receivers. He has started 35 times, been to two AFC Championship games, and is treated like a matinee idol by the fans.

Despite all of that, it is hard to escape the fact that he is a below average QB. They put him on the podium each week and everyone talks about growing pains with stern looks on there faces - but he has so little positive input on the outcome of any given game that it comes across as forced and uncomfortable. I can't hear it without thinking THIRTY-FIVE GAMES - "do you honest think that this guy is suddenly going to turn into a franchise QB? Put anyone of 15 other QBs on that team and they are an elite team waltzing through the regular season." The respect comes entirely from the draft pick and the contract (and his fan appeal frankly). The Colts are FAR from the only team who gives high draft picks more leeway than low draft picks.

The point is that Painter has people making fun of his appearance instead of treating him like Paul Newman, I see far more people actively disparaging him - and far more mean spiritedly - than I ever see Sanchez receive here, and he has been allowed to start exactly ZERO games in three years, as opposed to Sanchez's THIRTY-FIVE.

Considering all that, and the way people talk about Brown, Hughes and Gonzalez - can you IMAGINE how people here would treat Painter if they actually had inherent expectations that he would be a star? They are jerks to him now - what would they do if he were a first rounder? Tar and Feather him? Burn his house down?

There was no reasons to have high expectations about Painter - a sixth rounder is largely a throw away pick. Yet personally I see far more potential in him than I ever have in Sanchez. IF Painter does manage to win a few games during this horrid season, fans shouldn't act as if he was "just doing his job". It would actually be an exceptional feat.

I agree with your post 100%... I do not know why everyone hates him. Hes never started a regular season game in the NFL. He was thrown to the wolves when we played the jets... Sure, hes thrown INTs. But So did PEYTON when he started it. He was throwing picks everywhere. Yet look where we are. Painter has talent. Let him play a few games before you say he sucks. Wheres the proof? How do you know he sucks? Why does he suck? As far as i can see he has a good arm and his pocket awareness is only getting better. Jeez. Have some patience. You act as if we are SB runners this year and we are throwing our season away. This is a good year Colts fans. To see what this team has when it comes to players. Where our talent lies. Treat this year like its preseason until later in the year when it might matter if we win or lose. No. I'm not giving up... Give the team some support. Last time i checked, Painter was apart of this colts team... Painter, you have my support. Keep your head, and keep your confidence regardless of the harshness if our fan base.

haha wow people need to lighten up... it was a joke. And i definitely dont hate painter. Just saying painter is probably as good as sanchez and people get angry when painter struggles, imagine if we had to use a 1st round pick on mark sanchez people would be crazy!