Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Top 5 offense?

BlueCollarColts

I was just thinking about how stacked our offense could be, Andrew Luck is obviously a rising superstar in the NFL, and we all have a great amount of confidence in him, we also have given him a lot of weapons IMO, Reggie Wayne still has something left in the tank (evidence is last years season), I believe Darrius Heyward-Bey will thrive in this system, as he is a big target, and Luck can get him the ball, and he will see a lot of 1 on 1 coverage, T.Y. Hilton had a great rookie year and I expect him to improve even more, he can realistically be one of the top slot receivers in the NFL next year. I think Coby Fleener will have a good year, working under Pep, his college O-coordinator, he will be used in the slot more, and i expect a good year from Fleener. Also Dwayne Allen had a very good rookie year, and he should improve even more also. Not to mention we added Ahmad Bradshaw to help in the running game, and he is a great receiver out of the backfield. And Gosder Cherilus, Donald Thomas, and Hugh Thornton are here to improve the O-line. What do you guys think? How good can our O-line be?

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe the O-line will be better it was pretty poor last year, so to an extent improvement is expected.  I think the offense will be as good as Luck makes it. If Luck cuts down on his INT's and improve reading defenses from 2012 he certainly has the players at skill positions to be a top 5 offense.

I was just thinking about how stacked our offense could be, Andrew Luck is obviously a rising superstar in the NFL, and we all have a great amount of confidence in him, we also have given him a lot of weapons IMO, Reggie Wayne still has something left in the tank (evidence is last years season), I believe Darrius Heyward-Bey will thrive in this system, as he is a big target, and Luck can get him the ball, and he will see a lot of 1 on 1 coverage, T.Y. Hilton had a great rookie year and I expect him to improve even more, he can realistically be one of the top slot receivers in the NFL next year. I think Coby Fleener will have a good year, working under Pep, his college O-coordinator, he will be used in the slot more, and i expect a good year from Fleener. Also Dwayne Allen had a very good rookie year, and he should improve even more also. Not to mention we added Ahmad Bradshaw to help in the running game, and he is a great receiver out of the backfield. And Gosder Cherilus, Donald Thomas, and Hugh Thornton are here to improve the O-line. What do you guys think? How good can our O-line be?

Sorry to be a stickler, but how would you define "Top 5 Offense?" For example, we were top 10 last year (#7 I think) in yards gained but 22nd in scoring offense. 

Oline needs to obviously improve and Luck has to stop throwing INT's. As good as Andrew played last season, the turnovers were getting ridiculous.

85% of those picks came from bad oline play

15% from Luck looking for Reggie all the time. Can't blame the rookie though. Every rookie would look for the veteran when they're in trouble

He'll cut down this year

I think it boils down to execution.       No scheme is a success without players doing their jobs.

As a poster above eluded to, our offensive success will, in large measure, be down to our offensive scheme/play-calling... of which we know little of right now.

I think it boils down to execution.       No scheme is a success without players doing their jobs.

I am not disputing that in any way. However you can only execute with what you are given. Joe Montana would not have been Joe Montana without Bill Walsh.

I disagree ..      Coaches don't throw the football.   

If anything Montana's supporting cast made Montana what he was.    Rice, Taylor, Jones, Craig, Rathman, Tyler, and a great D.  Those teams were LOADED.     In fact George Seifert had a much higher winning percentage than Walsh.   And it includes his 3 years in Carolina. 

Montana at 37 led KC to the AFCCG, after how many back surgeries?    Walsh gave Montana a chance, but to say Walsh made Montana's career is a stretch.       In fact I would argue Montana made Walsh... 

It is all about the QB.    

JMO..   ;)

I am not disputing that in any way. However you can only execute with what you are given. Joe Montana would not have been Joe Montana without Bill Walsh.

Top 5 is possible but three key things need to happen:

1. The offensive line must gel and mature quickly.

2. All the parts of the O must assimilate Pep's scheme and execute.

3. The D must come together and learn to get the other team's O off the field quickly

and give our O more opportunities to gain yardage and score points.

All three as of now are very much up in the air, If If If.

But, that's what has been so exciting about this offseason, so many moves to improve the team.

I just find it difficult to wait to see the results.

I think we now have the best QB and the deepest (and possibly the best) group of WRs in the division. If the RBs are good enough to keep defenses honest, then I think that we have best offense in the AFCSouth.

That's not really saying much

It depends on how aggressive we want to be offensively..

If we attack the defense through the air with all five potential receivers, we have 3 defenses in our division we can beat..

Even with our improved line, we are not a ball control team, nor do we have a defense that can win games for us..

I want our 'running plays' to be swing passes to the running backs

I want us to go no-huddle, hurry-up as NE and Denver try to do...that's our strength or it can be

In the AFC, only Denver and Houston have more weapons who arent rehabbing or under police suspiscion...

I think we now have the best QB and the deepest (and possibly the best) group of WRs in the division. If the RBs are good enough to keep defenses honest, then I think that we have best offense in the AFCSouth.

No. You may have a good QB but not the best offense.

That's not really saying much

Agreed. 

Schaub gets worse each year, and is now a total hasbeen.  Though it's not like he was this big winner in his heyday, anyways.  He's about as mobile as an iceberg.  I cannot fathom why they gave him an extension, but i'm glad they did.....lol  The other 2 starting qb's won't even be in the league in 5 years. 

After Luck, it's indeed a pretty sad trio of qb's in the AFC South division.

I just wonder how many early season hiccups we will see with Pep Hamilton's offense...

I think Luck will progress beautifully, if we can keep him upright. I love our offense I really do and I like it to get better as the season goes on.

Look at the schedule.....

The Colts face 5 teams that were in the top 7 in NFL pass D.        The rest are 12th or lower.

The Seahawks, Niners, and Cardinals all play in the same D...   2x    Does that tell anyone anything.   

Denver played Oak, SD, and KC 2x each last season.

I'm not scared at all....       Indy will produce on O.

Luck has to stop throwing INT's.  As good as Andrew played last season, the turnovers were getting ridiculous.

I think you're making too much of the INT's. He threw 3 in the first game. That leaves 15 for the rest of the season which is 1 per game. Not too bad considering he had no time to throw, was asked to throw a ton, and was a rookie. Geez.

I think you're making too much of the INT's. He threw 3 in the first game. That leaves 15 for the rest of the season which is 1 per game. Not too bad considering he had no time to throw, was asked to throw a ton, and was a rookie. Geez.

He threw 3 against Detroit. And also threw 50+ times

Boy am I glad Bruce Arians is gone :D

When looking at it that way, he actually wasn't that bad, BUT he had quite a few breaks in which clear INT's were dropped or called back.

When looking at it that way, he actually wasn't that bad, BUT he had quite a few breaks in which clear INT's were dropped or called back.

WOW....your acting like he had 28 ints his rookie year......you know........Peyton Mannings rookie int total

Nope. It was all the offensive line's fault, and the wide receivers weren't getting open enough, and the runningbacks were not pass blocking enough. None of those INTs were on Andy himself.