Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Luck 2nd Year Profile from Shutdown Corner....

NewColtsFan

A really nice look at Luck as he comes into his 2nd year....

Stats Warning:   A fair amount of new-fangle stats to sift through, but not enough to deter you from reading....

This will make you appreciate even more Luck's first year, and give you an idea of what Luck has on his plate for Year 2.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/second-slumpbusters-andrew-luck-150137437.html

Doug Farrar...    was the writer of this article.    I am impressed he actually did A LOT of home work researching his.  

Good for him.      It always takes the media a lot longer to figure things out.      When it is NOT RIGHT IN FRONT OF THEIR CHIPS AND PEPSI.

Unless one follows Indy and watches Luck and the team week in week out they cannot mentally grasp how Luck could have the success he did with the INT's and poor COMP %.      They see the W's and figure well it was just ....   "LUCK".   heehe...

Honestly Andrew Luck had one of the best rookie years for a QB in the history of the NFL IMO.

Whatever.. this team is better.   The rookie QB is a year older...      It will be fine.

You are not looking very hard.

I don't think I've ever read a "con-Luck" article, but I know what TK meant.  The press loves them some RG3!

I think it's great that there are two other 2nd year wonders to take the attention off of ours.  

He attempted 101 passes in which the target was 20 or more yards downfield, per Pro Football Focus' metrics, which was 10 more than NFL runner-up Joe Flacco. And according to Football Outsiders' game charting, no quarterback last season faced pressure on more plays -- 187 "pressure plays" in 710 total plays. In the last three seasons, only Tampa Bay's Josh freeman was under fire on more plays (191 "pressure plays" in 2010).

Not only did we throw the ball downfield more than anyone else, we also gave up more pressure than any team in the last three seasons.

No wonder Luck's efficiency stats weren't as impressive as Griffin's or Wilson's. We complained about this all season, but it's remarkable whenever I see it in writing.

Doug Farrar...    was the writer of this article.    I am impressed he actually did A LOT of home work researching his.  

Good for him.      It always takes the media a lot longer to figure things out.      When it is NOT RIGHT IN FRONT OF THEIR CHIPS AND PEPSI.

Unless one follows Indy and watches Luck and the team week in week out they cannot mentally grasp how Luck could have the success he did with the INT's and poor COMP %.      They see the W's and figure well it was just ....   "LUCK".   heehe...

Honestly Andrew Luck had one of the best rookie years for a QB in the history of the NFL IMO.

Whatever.. this team is better.   The rookie QB is a year older...      It will be fine.

You are a wise man.

Not only did we throw the ball downfield more than anyone else, we also gave up more pressure than any team in the last three seasons.

No wonder Luck's efficiency stats weren't as impressive as Griffin's or Wilson's. We complained about this all season, but it's remarkable whenever I see it in writing.

But people tend to overlook that, and just see 18 INT's. But when you consider 3 of those int's were in the first game, the rest of the season averages out to be 1 int per game. Considering how often he threw, not much time to throw, and the fact he was a ROOKIE, he did pretty darn good. But a lot of couch jocks don't see it that way.

But people tend to overlook that, and just see 18 INT's. But when you consider 3 of those int's were in the first game, the rest of the season averages out to be 1 int per game. Considering how often he threw, not much time to throw, and the fact he was a ROOKIE, he did pretty darn good. But a lot of couch jocks don't see it that way.

To be fair, Luck's completion percentage, sack percentage, and adjusted yards/attempt weren't impressive, either. And yes, a lot of that is because of bad blocking, but quite a few of his 41 sacks were due to him holding on to the ball too long (rather than dumping off or running with it, both of which were partly due to Arians' offense). His a/ypa were 6.4, far less than the other young quarterbacks (Kaepernick, 8.6; Griffin, 8.6; Wilson, 8.1 -- those are all excellent, for any quarterback, not just a first year starter; Eli Manning's career high is 8.1).

Again, a lot of this is a function of the way the offense was run, along with the poor protection. I'm not knocking Luck for this. Just saying that a raw statistical analysis definitely favors the other guys, at least with regard to efficiency.

I ran some numbers a couple months ago, basically overlaying Ben Roethlisberger's efficiency stats over Luck's raw numbers. Just simple tweaks to our passing game, and Luck would have had stats to rival any passer last season, leaving the other young guys in the dust. I'm very hopeful that our new offense improves Luck's efficiency, even if it means fewer attempts and yards.

18  really isn't bad either, Not to bring up a Peyton vs Luck debate again cause I am tired of those but Manning himself has had 3 seasons of 18 or more int's.

To be fair, Luck's completion percentage, sack percentage, and adjusted yards/attempt weren't impressive, either. And yes, a lot of that is because of bad blocking, but quite a few of his 41 sacks were due to him holding on to the ball too long (rather than dumping off or running with it, both of which were partly due to Arians' offense). His a/ypa were 6.4, far less than the other young quarterbacks (Kaepernick, 8.6; Griffin, 8.6; Wilson, 8.1 -- those are all excellent, for any quarterback, not just a first year starter; Eli Manning's career high is 8.1).

Again, a lot of this is a function of the way the offense was run, along with the poor protection. I'm not knocking Luck for this. Just saying that a raw statistical analysis definitely favors the other guys, at least with regard to efficiency.

I ran some numbers a couple months ago, basically overlaying Ben Roethlisberger's efficiency stats over Luck's raw numbers. Just simple tweaks to our passing game, and Luck would have had stats to rival any passer last season, leaving the other young guys in the dust. I'm very hopeful that our new offense improves Luck's efficiency, even if it means fewer attempts and yards.

Nice breakdown, but you're better at explaining things than I am.  :number1:

But you understand what I meant. Sure, Luck wasn't perfect, but he was a rookie who showed incredible promise. I'm more than OK with that.

Andrew did hold onto the ball WAY too long on occasion.    He was also totally BUM RUSHED off the snap others.   

This is the EASIEST thing to fix.    The OL.    And they are doing it.     3 new starters on the OL and A Bradshaw should fix a lot of "boo boo's"

Andrew did hold onto the ball WAY too long on occasion.    He was also totally BUM RUSHED off the snap others.   

This is the EASIEST thing to fix.    The OL.    And they are doing it.     3 new starters on the OL and A Bradshaw should fix a lot of "boo boo's"

With all due respect, I'm wondering why you choose to respond to a post, then put the quote after your response. Most people can understand seeing a quote, then your response. Most of the time I have no idea who you're responding to. (since my brain is geared towards a normal response) I'm not asking you to change, just wondering why. Just to be different? If so, cool.

With all due respect, I'm wondering why you choose to respond to a post, then put the quote after your response. Most people can understand seeing a quote, then your response. Most of the time I have no idea who you're responding to. (since my brain is geared towards a normal response) I'm not asking you to change, just wondering why. Just to be different? If so, cool.

I've seen mobile devices where when you click to quote it puts the cursor above the quote or simply its easier to just hit enter and adjust the cursor above the quote than to flick down to below it.

Not to mention he averaged more yards per play when pressured, than Tom Brady. Threw more deep passes than anyone, 10 more than Joe Flacco. That's good company.