Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2014 Free Agents

It's easy to want and think ...  But very hard to actually practice.  

Polian payed his best players.    And filled in the dots via the draft and FA.      Addai, Brackett,  Sanders and maybe Clark a little. 

But I mean what is a team supposed to do?   Let their best players walk and HOPE they can replace them?   Ya gotta spend wisely and hope like hell they stay healthy.   

All the good team face this.    Outside of NE, Indy handled the situation as well as anyone.over the last 12 or 13 years.

That's another thing that i was gettin' at. Even when Luck's rookie contract is up, "Hopefully they don't break the bank for 1 individual which would limit the team."  When 1 person makes the biggest NFL salary it limits the T-E-A-M. QB's don't win Championships, TEAMs do!!!  I hope we Never go back to what Polian did with contracts!

That's not to say that Luck won't be worth the $$$, just like Peyton was worth the $$$. It Severely limits both sides of the TEAM when 1 individual makes 30% of the salary cap.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He has never had a 1000 yard season or caught over 70 passes. He isn't gonna get that kinda dough.

He may not end up getting it but I'll bet that's the type of money he's gonna push for. And I don't think well really be in a situation where well need to get into a bidding war for him. We can get someone in the draft if we need another receiver. I'd rather just go about it in the draft. Next year is supposed to be a good class for WR anyways. Just my opinions though. We got a whole season to see how everything plays out and see where our true needs are going to be.

It's easy to want and think ...  But very hard to actually practice.  

Polian payed his best players.    And filled in the dots via the draft and FA.      Addai, Brackett,  Sanders and maybe Clark a little. 

But I mean what is a team supposed to do?   Let their best players walk and HOPE they can replace them?   Ya gotta spend wisely and hope like heck they stay healthy.   

All the good team face this.    Outside of NE, Indy handled the situation as well as anyone.over the last 12 or 13 years.

polian did pay his best players, but he payed too much. i agree that any team has to fill in the dots via the draft and FA. Sanders was paid a huge sum for the Hope he might return healthy. brackett was good for the way the tampa-2 used him, but he wasn't worth the contract $ paid to him. Clark was a great TE. that was $ well spent. i Definitely think that they could have replaced mediocre players had they had the $ to do so. that doesn't happen when a handful of players take up the vast majority of the salary cap. i think Luck would be wise to take a contract(after the rookie contract is over)that doesn't take away from the TEAM's success, but at the same time he gets paid well. that would go for any other player as well, not just Luck. Get paid b/c you're great at what you do, but at the same time, don't try to get or accept a TEAM-busting contract that will prevent you from holding the Lombardi Trophy. I think Grigson is taking this same approach.

• 2 weeks later...

polian did pay his best players, but he payed too much. i agree that any team has to fill in the dots via the draft and FA. Sanders was paid a huge sum for the Hope he might return healthy. brackett was good for the way the tampa-2 used him, but he wasn't worth the contract $ paid to him. Clark was a great TE. that was $ well spent. i Definitely think that they could have replaced mediocre players had they had the $ to do so. that doesn't happen when a handful of players take up the vast majority of the salary cap. i think Luck would be wise to take a contract(after the rookie contract is over)that doesn't take away from the TEAM's success, but at the same time he gets paid well. that would go for any other player as well, not just Luck. Get paid b/c you're great at what you do, but at the same time, don't try to get or accept a TEAM-busting contract that will prevent you from holding the Lombardi Trophy. I think Grigson is taking this same approach.

I don't think managing the salary cap is all that difficult, even with a highly paid quarterback. You're going to make some tough decisions sometimes, including releasing players and letting players walk, but that's a function of having a hard cap.

What's more important is drafting well. If you draft well, it makes letting go of decent and even good players easier, which helps you avoid overpaying on marginal talent like Gary Brackett or Kelvin Hayden. It helps you weather bad luck, like the Bob Sanders situation (really good player, worthy of the contract, but couldn't stay on the field). And even when you do miss in the draft, you'll have a balanced enough roster to withstand a mistake here and there. And you'll have enough cap flexibility to add a free agent when you need to plug a hole.

What happened to the Colts was a perfect storm: the drafting slipped, especially in early rounds (start with Tony Ugoh, all the way to Jerry Hughes), we gave out some bad contracts (Kelvin Hayden, etc.), we had some bad luck (Anthony Gonzalez, Bob Sanders, etc.) Now the cap was tight because we had highly paid players at several positions (not just Manning, but Freeney, Wayne, Harrison, Mathis, Clark, and so on), and we had a management team that wasn't willing to make significant changes to the core of the roster at that time.

If you draft well, and you're smart with your free agent signings, you can afford to pay your quarterback elite compensation. No one takes up 30% of the cap (at it's highest, I believe Manning's contract was 16% of the cap). But if you want to contend every year, you have to have a good quarterback. And the market demands compensation. Just draft well, and you'll be okay.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I could see us resigning patty mac and vontae   i know its hard saying this but let bethea walk  look for Safety SS or FS because we know landry can play both positions   1st round Safety or  we could look into free agency but if you look at it byrd n bethea both askin big money i would suppose

id like to see how constanzo fairs but  clady monroe  would be solid additions

the big player we could get Arthur Jones DE from baltimore

Some low level moves that wont be big names I'd like to see

Kasey Studdard-Veteran player who has had 14 games worth of starting experience with the Texans and was pretty decent for them, could start and do well if needed, Familiar with the Outside/Inside Zone Blocking concepts

Willie Colone-Veteran leadership is a must on the O Line and by that I mean veteran leadership that can actually play, Power Blocking oriented O lineman who can start if needed

Parys Haralson-Not sure exactly what his contract looks like with him being traded to New Orleans, has had some injuries over the years but is a very solid player who can add depth at OLB

Arthur Jones

Ryan Clady depending on how Castonzo improves. If he allows 11 sacks again then we are seriously going to have to think about another LT....and many of those were NOT to the inside  with no Guard help, the majority were outside, He had an awful game vs the Packers pass blocking wise giving up 3 sacks

Victor Cruz

Sam Shields

If we have the money  but we will also have to resign Vontae Davis along with a few others so I dont know if we will have the money

Clady now gone but maybe Monroe was more realistic anyway..

C - Alex Mack, Ryan Wendell, Brian De La Puente, Fernando Velasco

WR - Hakeem Nicks, Victor Cruz, Eric Decker

FB - Marcel Reese

DL - Geno Atkins, Henry Melton, Jason Hatcher, Greg Hardy, Lamarr Houston

LB - Brian Cushing, Sean Lee, Donald Butler

CB - Sam Shields

S - Jairus Byrd

Is Bethea is FA? If so Byrd would be a nice replacement.

I think our priority next year needs to be upgrading AGAIN the OL and improving the pass rush. Mathis is not getting younger, and Werner is still developing.

That said, I could see us letting Bethea go if we want to get a true coverage safety in the backfield. Bethea is more of a run stopping safety. Jairus Byrd is an option here. I think we need to cut Cherilus loose if there isn't too much of a cap hit. I would much prefer drafting a young talented OT like Antonio Richardson, and move him to LT while moving Costanzo to RT. I think we should be ok in the interior of the OL once Thornton and Holmes are starting.

I think our priority next year needs to be upgrading AGAIN the OL and improving the pass rush. Mathis is not getting younger, and Werner is still developing.

That said, I could see us letting Bethea go if we want to get a true coverage safety in the backfield. Bethea is more of a run stopping safety. Jairus Byrd is an option here. I think we need to cut Cherilus loose if there isn't too much of a cap hit. I would much prefer drafting a young talented OT like Antonio Richardson, and move him to LT while moving Costanzo to RT. I think we should be ok in the interior of the OL once Thornton and Holmes are starting.

There is no way Grigson releases Cherilus within 2 years of signing him, Mcglynn still being here is an example of that!

Resign: Davis

Bethea

McAfee

Bradshaw

Heyward Bey

Vinateri

if we fill our holes in Free agency only:

Sam Shields ( slot or opposite Davis and move toler to the slot)

Alex Mack

Jared Veldheer ( Move Castanzo to Guard)

Arthur Jones

Joe Mays

Assuming we sign no new players in FA then in the draft some people to consider:

OG: David Yankey

C: Tyler Larsen

ILB: Borland, Mosley, Hubbard

CB: Roby, Verrett

S( depth): Sean Parker, Avery Patterson 

jared

By midseason, Veldheer had supplanted Henderson to become the Raiders' full-time starting left tackle.[4] On opening day of the 2011 NFL season, he started at left tackle next to rookie Stefen Wisniewski and the offensive line cleared the way for 190 rushing yards and a victory over the Denver Broncos. In Week 11 of the 2011 NFL season, playing against the Minnesota Vikings he prevented Jared Allen, who had a league-leading total of 13.5 sacks coming into the game, from having a sack

best rt,s in fa for next season is ,

Michael Oher’s transition to right tackle reaped benefits for the Baltimore last season, as the Ravens were 5-1 when Oher started at right tackle.

jared veldheer

New York Jets: Austin Howar

Cleveland Browns: Alex Mack
Jacksonville Jaguars: Eugene Monroe

Bethea

McAfee

Bradshaw

Heyward Bey

Vinateri

if we fill our holes in Free agency only: on oline

Michael Oher

Arthur Jones

Rodger Saffold

Branden Albert

Assuming we sign no new players in FA then in the draft some people to consider:

try this

best rt,s in fa for next season is ,

Michael Oher’s transition to right tackle reaped benefits for the Baltimore last season, as the Ravens were 5-1 when Oher started at right tackle.

jared veldheer

New York Jets: Austin Howar

Cleveland Browns: Alex Mack

Jacksonville Jaguars: Eugene Monroe

Both of our tackles are better than Oher.

Bethea

McAfee

Bradshaw

Heyward Bey

Vinateri

if we fill our holes in Free agency only:

Sam Shields ( slot or opposite Davis and move toler to the slot)

Alex Mack

Arthur Jones

Joe Mays

I don't know what makes you think Castonzo can play guard effectively.

first thing fix is oline first  have a qb , te,s wr,s ,fb and rb,s  . oline first has address first. with fa.

The first priority is to resign Davis then Mcafee. I think will also resign DHB,Bradshaw and either Angerer or Conner. Bethea is making top 10 safety money he won't be resigned. The first round pick will most likely be a FS, Clinton-Dix or Ed Reynolds or a CB.

I don't know what makes you think Castonzo can play guard effectively.

Few reasons:

1.We played Charlie johnson at lt and he wasn't too great but when playing G for the vikings,he is doing reasonably well

2. I remember when we first drafted castanzo,mike mayock saying that they put him in a lot of positions on the oline and he was good.

3. When beaten for a sack, rushers often run on the outside of him rather than the inside. So if he is now at guard and have someone like Veldheer at T,then overall it is possible he will give up less sacks.

• 1 month later...

Obviously my first choice at FA signing would be to get Alex Mack but now with our risen need for experience at WR, has anyone considered Eric Decker? I wouldnt even mind if Grigs swung a trade for him now, I think he could be had relatively cheaper than someone like josh Gordon and he's been quite amazing. Fits the bill in my opinion.

Obviously my first choice at FA signing would be to get Alex Mack but now with our risen need for experience at WR, has anyone considered Eric Decker? I wouldnt even mind if Grigs swung a trade for him now, I think he could be had relatively cheaper than someone like josh Gordon and he's been quite amazing. Fits the bill in my opinion.

No thanks on Decker, he gives up to often on a play and looks for flags more than the football.

Colts need to Re-Sign Davis Bethea and Boomstick

Colts should go after Alex Mack and Doug Baldwin 

People forget but Luck played with Baldwin before at Standford

I dont think people "forgot" because it doesn't really mean anything. Baldwin is a career #3 receiver. 

Looking at the FA list there are a lot of names out there that we could go after.  It's hard to say how many make it to FA though.

Anquan Boldin would make for an ok stopgap player but he's kind of old, not a long term solution.

Mario Manningham seems to jump off the page as a Grigson type of player.  Probably not a #1 but could be a #2

Golden Tate

Jeremy Maclin - I don't actually know a ton about him.

Hakeem Nicks

Julian Endelman - Not a guy who I would want as a #1, but he might be a #2

Eric Decker 

Jacoby Jones 

Looking at the FA list there are a lot of names out there that we could go after.  It's hard to say how many make it to FA though.

Anquan Boldin would make for an ok stopgap player but he's kind of old, not a long term solution.

Mario Manningham seems to jump off the page as a Grigson type of player.  Probably not a #1 but could be a #2

Golden Tate

Jeremy Maclin - I don't actually know a ton about him.

Hakeem Nicks

Julian Endelman - Not a guy who I would want as a #1, but he might be a #2

Eric Decker 

Jacoby Jones

Taking a look at maclin/decker wouldn't be a bad idea. I like the idea that decker has been trained by manning for a couple years.