Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Brady has fastest release in NFL - per ESPN

JerodMayo51

I agree that Brady is superb in the pocket. It's one of his many outstanding attributes.

But if it doesn't pain you too much, think back to SB42. When there's no pocket, "pocket skills" don't matter. The quarterback will get moved off his spot, he won't be as effective when he does get the ball out, and he's going to take sacks. If the interior line is getting blown back, there's no pocket. If rushers are coming off the edge and collapsing that 10x10 to 4x4, while the wall in front of you gets pushed bulldozed, his ability to move in the pocket becomes irrelevant, because there is no pocket.

I'm not trying to put this entirely on the offensive line, as if Brady isn't good at working the pocket. He's great at it. But the Patriots also have a pretty doggone good offensive line, particularly in pass protection. And that makes life easier for him.

lol. You always find a game here or there where the defense simply played better than Brady and the O (BTW, don't let the fact that Brady had a broken ankle factor into your thought process which severely limited his movement and the OCs ability to move the pocket for him). The point is for the majority of games Brady plays he is one of the best at getting rid of the ball quicker than any QB and movement in the pocket. That keeps his uniform clean far more than his Oline's protection. Even they would tell you that. Same is true for Manning.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now his 2 TE offense has devolved.

Not at all. They have 7 TEs on the squad and Gronk will be back most likely the first half of the season. Hernandez? Who knows but if he goes to jail than the Pats will be absolved from his contract and can go get another TE or WR. I think they were going to move Hernandez to WR this year anyways...

He had better arm strength than Manning, even when Peyton was in his prime. I tried telling that to Colts fans then but they are more likely to believe me now. :)

Before the 2 TE offense of the Pats evolved, he did have a slightly higher average than Peyton in release time. The 2 TE offense took the underneath route game to another level for the Pats and helped with his release time stats, and that is a logical conclusion that can be made.

We wanted to have this same TE offense earlier, the first half of last decade, and we spent two 1st round picks in this endeavor, Graham (2002) and Watson (2004), but it did not pan out for us . . . until AH's recent troubles and Gronk's unfortunate injuries, we thought that we finally had this two TE in place for a while . . . we have to see how that now pans out going forward . . .

Was watching ESPN earlier today and they had a segment on QBs who are sacked a lot and their average release time, at the end of the segment they commented that Tom Brady has the fastest average release in the NFL and was #1 on their list.Of course if you talk to certain people, they'll tell you its just because he has all the time in the world from his impenetrable offensive line that gives him "all day" to throw the football. Looks like that is not true at all, its because Brady delivers the ball on target and faster than anyone in the league.

Looks like he's gonna need it this year!

Lol to the bolded man. I know Peyton is your all time fav. player but happy feet does not help him throw the ball faster. It is a sign of indecision much in the same way other QBs pat the ball waiting for a WR to get open. A QB throws the ball faster by having his feet planted and stepping into the throw with his hips...

I don't know how you're going to tell a Colts fan why Peyton does something. I wouldn't try arguing with you the reason Brady wears Uggz. Only Patriot fans know that.

But in all seriousness. The feet shuffling is a mechanic he has been doing from a young age. Archie taught him to keep his feet moving. It can prevent ankle injuries, you'll never get caught flat footed (the biggest upside), and helps you "jump" into your throw quicker.

I don't know how you're going to tell a Colts fan why Peyton does something. I wouldn't try arguing with you the reason Brady wears Uggz. Only Patriot fans know that.

But in all seriousness. The feet shuffling is a mechanic he has been doing from a young age. Archie taught him to keep his feet moving. It can prevent ankle injuries, you'll never get caught flat footed (the biggest upside), and helps you "jump" into your throw quicker.

isn't it obvious? Brady has pretty feet too. :yay:

Not at all. They have 7 TEs on the squad and Gronk will be back most likely the first half of the season. Hernandez? Who knows but if he goes to jail than the Pats will be absolved from his contract and can go get another TE or WR. I think they were going to move Hernandez to WR this year anyways...

No offense am , but you always seem to dismiss adverse things that could be happening to your team. Before getting into that, I did see that Hernandez fell a good amount due to character concerns in college. So I guess when you play with fire , sometimes you get your butt burned. I also read that some Pat players were saying this guy changed after signing the big contract. But what ever... we'll go with maybe the dog chewed his phone and the cleaning lady destroyed the security system.

Now for the above. It's not like the Pats will just say "adios" and have the cap room spent on Hernandez returned to them and just go out and "buy" a similar replacement. They have already been burned by the 9 mill. plus he received as a signing bonus and it seems like this contract might have some language that could cost the Pats a couple million more if he goes to jail or is suspended. Pretty sure that the signing bonus of 9+ mill already in his pocket is not voidable , but I can't say I'm positive. If so , this has a very large effect going forward on NE's cap situation. The link on the new contract is below and I'll include one or two on what his team mates had to say .

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000213873/article/examining-aaron-hernandezs-new-england-patriots-contract

http://fansided.com/2013/06/21/teammates-say-aaron-hernandez-changed-after-signing-new-contract/

When you lost Welker, you said no big deal, DA is better. You may be out both TEs and you say it is no big deAl, we have 7 more. None of your WRs worked out and you lost Woodhead. I guess that's no big deal either. You either aren't being honest, don't realize the quality of the players you lost or you place too much faith in BB and Brady. True, you guys will be good enough to make it to playoffs, but it takes a lot more to win a Super Bowl and you guys haven't done it in a very long time. I think if Gronk isnt healthy, you guys are in trouble. Relying on your new RB isn't a mismatch. DA isn't ready for all that will be required of him. You will miss Welker a lot. Brady knew it and is still angry.

Did you bother to click the link?    He is pretty much in the top ten in the stat every year.. 

And I said "2X" not just 2007 when Moss was around for BRADY LEADING THE NFL in the stat.

Dang...     It seem one must lead a horse to water at every turn on this site.

Is that your best retort?

2007? Wasn't that when he had Randy Moss? Excuse me, but 7 years have passed since then and Brady played a long time before 2007 so that's not anything great especially since you talking like he is the greatest.

Did you bother to click the link?    He is pretty much in the top ten in the stat every year.. 

And I said "2X" not just 2007 when Moss was around for BRADY LEADING THE NFL in the stat.

Dang...     It seem one must lead a horse to water at every turn on this site.

Is that your best retort?

Your link was for best slot receivers. Maybe you should lead people to the correct waterhole, cowboy.

Ah,.,,,     So I am to assume you are incapable of navigating said site to the info you clearly do now want to see?

OK, whatever...  like i said..    here it is for you on a plate.

http://wp.advancednflstats.com/playerstats.php?*=QB

Now this link is current...      you will have to look up top a little and find teh YEAR tab and go to any form 2007 on .    And click the % deep stat ...  

Need and help Lockdown just PM me...     ;)

Your link was for best slot receivers. Maybe you should lead people to the correct waterhole, cowboy.

Actually I was wrong and apologize..    Brady led the league in overall passer rating those 2 years.  I was kinda smashed last night.

The % deep throws is a VERY interesting stat to go through from year to year.   

The leaders in it are generally playing for bad teams.     

Sorry Lockdown..      but you are still wrong.  :thmup:

When you lost Welker, you said no big deal, DA is better. You may be out both TEs and you say it is no big deAl, we have 7 more. None of your WRs worked out and you lost Woodhead. I guess that's no big deal either. You either aren't being honest, don't realize the quality of the players you lost or you place too much faith in BB and Brady. True, you guys will be good enough to make it to playoffs, but it takes a lot more to win a Super Bowl and you guys haven't done it in a very long time. I think if Gronk isnt healthy, you guys are in trouble. Relying on your new RB isn't a mismatch. DA isn't ready for all that will be required of him. You will miss Welker a lot. Brady knew it and is still angry.

You have misquoted me all over the place. I never said DA is better but that he has the potential to be better as he is younger and more explosive than Welker. I think anytime you trade in a slot receiver who is 32 with a ton of mileage for one that is 5 years younger that is a good deal especially when the former player led the league in drops last season.

I never said anything about losing players being no big deal. And they are not out Gronk. He is recovering from back surgery and expected back for the season, maybe even by week 1. The Pats have Ballard and the other TEs for this reason. Both TEs have been injury prone. The Hernandez saga is unforeseen but the Pats will treat it like he is IR and expect the next guy to step up.

Of course I have faith in Brady and Bill. Who wouldn't? Like you said they are still going to make the playoffs and the difference between them getting the 4th ring won't be AH or Gronk or Welker, it will be their D. If the players they signed in FA - Talib, Wilson, etc do what is expected and the younger players continue to improve then they will contend. It really isn't about the O. They will still be a top 5 O but if their D is not sig. better than last year especially against the pass than they will not go far come post-season...

No offense am , but you always seem to dismiss adverse things that could be happening to your team. Before getting into that, I did see that Hernandez fell a good amount due to character concerns in college. So I guess when you play with fire , sometimes you get your butt burned. I also read that some Pat players were saying this guy changed after signing the big contract. But what ever... we'll go with maybe the dog chewed his phone and the cleaning lady destroyed the security system.

Now for the above. It's not like the Pats will just say "adios" and have the cap room spent on Hernandez returned to them and just go out and "buy" a similar replacement. They have already been burned by the 9 mill. plus he received as a signing bonus and it seems like this contract might have some language that could cost the Pats a couple million more if he goes to jail or is suspended. Pretty sure that the signing bonus of 9+ mill already in his pocket is not voidable , but I can't say I'm positive. If so , this has a very large effect going forward on NE's cap situation. The link on the new contract is below and I'll include one or two on what his team mates had to say .

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000213873/article/examining-aaron-hernandezs-new-england-patriots-contract

http://fansided.com/2013/06/21/teammates-say-aaron-hernandez-changed-after-signing-new-contract/

The new CBA would take the Pats off the hook for Hernandez' deal under the player conduct policy. I believe he will also owe the signing bonus. I will try to find the link.

Here is the link. Yes, under new CBA AH will own Pats $37 mil for his signing bonus if he went to jail for the rest of his contract, http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/patriots/2013/06/21/aaron-hernandez-salary-recoup-cba-homicide-investigation/2447171/

The new CBA would take the Pats off the hook for Hernandez' deal under the player conduct policy. I believe he will also owe the signing bonus. I will try to find the link.

Here is the link. Yes, under new CBA AH will own Pats $37 mil for his signing bonus if he went to jail for the rest of his contract, http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/patriots/2013/06/21/aaron-hernandez-salary-recoup-cba-homicide-investigation/2447171/

Now that is awesome:-)

Lol to the bolded man. I know Peyton is your all time fav. player but happy feet does not help him throw the ball faster. It is a sign of indecision much in the same way other QBs pat the ball waiting for a WR to get open. A QB throws the ball faster by having his feet planted and stepping into the throw with his hips...

Yeah, because Peyton Manning is a known for "indecision" when he's in the pocket. :rollseyes: He's two hundredths of a second slower than Brady in getting the ball out, according to the OP source.

It's not happy feet. He pumps his feet because it makes it easier for him to plant and get rid of the ball. It's a mechanical thing.

And I'm not calling the ball pat that Brady does (along with other quarterbacks) a sign of indecision. It's not. It's actually something he does when he's decided who to throw to. It's a grip thing. I don't like it because it tips the defense that the ball is getting ready to come out. Brady doesn't get a lot of balls batted or intercepted, so it works for him. But Quarterbacking 101 tells the passer to keep two hands on the ball until he throws, and doing so reduces the need for a pat.

These are the two best quarterbacks of the last decade. They don't need pointers about their mechanics from me. I'm just talking about my observations. Manning's throwing mechanics don't make him a better quarterback than anyone else, nor do Brady's. The results are all that matters.

lol. You always find a game here or there where the defense simply played better than Brady and the O (BTW, don't let the fact that Brady had a broken ankle factor into your thought process which severely limited his movement and the OCs ability to move the pocket for him). The point is for the majority of games Brady plays he is one of the best at getting rid of the ball quicker than any QB and movement in the pocket. That keeps his uniform clean far more than his Oline's protection. Even they would tell you that. Same is true for Manning.

Uhhh, what?

I don't know how much credit I need to give Brady for being great in the pocket. I've said it a hundred times already. But you can't be great in the pocket if there's no pocket. SB42 is a perfect example of why that's true. The one time that season that the Pats offensive line got dominated, and Brady's pocket skills couldn't make up for the poor line play.

By the way, I've never said that Tom Brady had a bad game in SB42. I've never blamed that loss on him.

Uhhh, what?

I don't know how much credit I need to give Brady for being great in the pocket. I've said it a hundred times already. But you can't be great in the pocket if there's no pocket. SB42 is a perfect example of why that's true. The one time that season that the Pats offensive line got dominated, and Brady's pocket skills couldn't make up for the poor line play.

By the way, I've never said that Tom Brady had a bad game in SB42. I've never blamed that loss on him.

Fair enough. But the Giants didn't get to Brady the whole game. He just couldn't move on his ankle which severly hampered his ability to buy more time and the OC from moving the pocket.

But in terms of the Pats Oline in general. I don't think it is a great Oline. It is a solid Oline that plays well at times but it got pushed around petty good last season by the better defensive fronts, i.e. Arizona, Seattle, niners, ravens. The only good defensive front it played well against was the Texans (twice). Over the past few seasons the line has also had a ton of injuries and the back ups have been ok not great. In fact, last season is the first season I can remember in a long time where the line run blocked well which allowed Ridley to have the type of season he had. Brady's ability to get rid of the ball as fast as he does makes them look a lot better than they really are. 

Fair enough. But the Giants didn't get to Brady the whole game. He just couldn't move on his ankle which severly hampered his ability to buy more time and the OC from moving the pocket.

I was using that game as a specific example of what happens when the offensive line plays poorly. Sure, the Pats were limited in what they could do because of Brady's ankle, and Brady wasn't quite as mobile as usual. But sliding in the pocket isn't a highly athletic endeavor. He got hit a lot in that game, for a total of five sacks. He got sacked 21 times all season. It was very poor protection, in comparison with the rest of the season, and it greatly influenced the game.

But in terms of the Pats Oline in general. I don't think it is a great Oline. It is a solid Oline that plays well at times but it got pushed around petty good last season by the better defensive fronts, i.e. Arizona, Seattle, niners, ravens. The only good defensive front it played well against was the Texans (twice). Over the past few seasons the line has also had a ton of injuries and the back ups have been ok not great. In fact, last season is the first season I can remember in a long time where the line run blocked well which allowed Ridley to have the type of season he had. Brady's ability to get rid of the ball as fast as he does makes them look a lot better than they really are.

Okay. I think they're above average, for sure. And they were fantastic in 2007, except for two or three games, specifically in pass protection. And whether it's scheme, players, or what, Tom Brady often has good time to scan the field. Doesn't really matter what the reason is, whether it's good blocking, extra guys in to block, or his ability to navigate the pocket. I was only saying that just because his average time to throw is 2.49 seconds doesn't mean that he never has more time than that, or that he doesn't get good protection.

None of that means he isn't still a great quarterback.

Actually I was wrong and apologize..    Brady led the league in overall passer rating those 2 years.  I was kinda smashed last night.

The % deep throws is a VERY interesting stat to go through from year to year.   

The leaders in it are generally playing for bad teams.     

Sorry Lockdown..      but you are still wrong.  :thmup:

I am glad you said that because I was about to unload on you :)

if I have ever been wrong about Brady, I will admit it on my deathbed and not a minute before.

I might add...     Brady's yearly rank in AYPA (average yards per attempt)

2007  1

2008  DNP

2009   10

2010   2

2011   3

2012   4

His lowest average was 5.9 ypa during that span

I am glad you said that because I was about to unload on you :)

if I have ever been wrong about Brady, I will admit it on my deathbed and not a minute before.

Danny Amendola has more potential as a deep ball threat than Welker, but nobody is better at playing the slot than Welker so losing him will be tough, but Amendola is no slouch and hes certainly a lot better than Rache Caldwell who was the Pats #1 WR in 2006. It stinks to have to put more pressure on Brady, but Aaron Dobson is a kind of freakish athlete, hes one of those WRs that can actually jump up and just make a play if you put the ball near him.

As someone said in an earlier post, the main thing is going to be on the defense's progression. They have had a lot of young talent injected into the defensive side of the ball over the last 3 years through the draft. I really feel this is the year they're going to have that continuity to start using more advanced schemes and really take the next jump into a top tier defense. As long as Wilfork and Mayo don't miss any significant time with injury, the defense should be solid. They will still be contending for a SB this year and I think if anything it will be their defense that helps take them there.

You mean he could pip Brady for the quickest release in the NFL. Brady was #1 on the list for quickest release, not Manning. Granted, they are basically identical but Brady's number is lower.

It's already been established you misrepresented the facts. This is snap to throw. Every offense is different, and judging by the other QBs on the list, it's based on playcalling. Romo probably has the fastest true release in the NFL today. 

It's already been established you misrepresented the facts. This is snap to throw. Every offense is different, and judging by the other QBs on the list, it's based on playcalling. Romo probably has the fastest true release in the NFL today. 

I think the fact that Brady and Manning are 1 and 2 on this list is indicative of the fact that they are the most cerebral QBs in the game. While some of it is a factor of the offense both run, I would also bet many offenses "try" to have the type of tempo that the Pats and Broncs do but their QBs simply are not smart enough to get it done as consistently as these two.

Regardless of if its from snap to release or actual mechanical throwing time, the point is that there is this completely radical idea on this board that Brady has enough time to make a sandwhich and then throw the ball. This article basically smashes that whole little theory to tiny itty bitty pieces, as it shows the offensive line has to protect for less time than any other oline in the league.

Now, I love my oline over in New England, but I couldn't resist shooting down an argument that Brady bashers use all the time as to why hes not a great QB. Hes one of the best to ever strap on a football helmet and its going to suck when he retires.

Regardless of if its from snap to release or actual mechanical throwing time, the point is that there is this completely radical idea on this board that Brady has enough time to make a sandwhich and then throw the ball. This article basically smashes that whole little theory to tiny itty bitty pieces, as it shows the offensive line has to protect for less time than any other oline in the league.

Now, I love my oline over in New England, but I couldn't resist shooting down an argument that Brady bashers use all the time as to why hes not a great QB. Hes one of the best to ever strap on a football helmet and its going to suck when he retires.

So your saying no play develops longer than 2.49 seconds?

Because if not, your spot on about the myth that Brady has tons of time.

However, we both know, I hope, many plays are slow developing deep plays, so this really doesn't speak to the average amount of time the Pats OLine gives Brady. It just speaks to how many quick plays your offense runs I.E. tons of slants and Welker crossing patters.

Valiant effort "dispelling that myth" though.

So your saying no play develops longer than 2.49 seconds?

Because if not, your spot on about the myth that Brady has tons of time.

However, we both know, I hope, many plays are slow developing deep plays, so this really doesn't speak to the average amount of time the Pats OLine gives Brady. It just speaks to how many quick plays your offense runs I.E. tons of slants and Welker crossing patters.

Valiant effort "dispelling that myth" though.

Im saying you don't get to #1 on the fastest release from snap to release by having "all day" to throw the football. That notion is totally insane, especially when we have lost a Superbowl because of horrible oline play before. Haters gonna hate though, and they can keep hating when the Pats are holding up the Lombardi at the end of the year.

Im saying you don't get to #1 on the fastest release from snap to release by having "all day" to throw the football. That notion is totally insane, especially when we have lost a Superbowl because of horrible oline play before. Haters gonna hate though, and they can keep hating when the Pats are holding up the Lombardi at the end of the year.

Actually you can, which is the hole in your premise by the way, if your offense is designed around quick plays.

All day to throw has nothing to do with how quick the routes for your receivers develop, and how quick Brady wants to throw the ball. Because they aren't indicative of each other.

By the way, I'm not saying he has "time to make a sandwich in the pocket," just that your argument is faulty.

There's some legitimacy to this notion. The Patriots run a lot of bubble screens, maybe not as many as they used to, but still probably more than average. But still, the timing of those plays can have an impact on the defense. It gets frustrating, not to mention exhausting, for pass rushers to go full-bore play after play only to have the QB throw the ball before you can even get a whiff of him. So on the longer developing plays, that often works to the o-line's advantage (because they know whether they'll be blocking for a half-second or a full five). Plus the Patriots run so much out of the no-huddle that Brady has more responsibility to call plays in sequence.

My take on the entire thread is that it speaks to Brady's pre-snap recognition and decision making more than his protection or his mechanics. More often than not, he knows where he's going with the ball because he will spot the mismatch (linebacker on a TE or slot guy, etc). One of the things I think he does better than any QB in the league is he takes what the defense gives him and doesn't try to do anything reckless. If I remember right, when Ray Lewis presented him as the #1 for the NFL's "Top 100" a couple of years back, he said more or less the same thing. Brady makes it look easy, simple... often that's one of the surest signs of greatness.

I've often questioned people, when they bashed him or refused to give him credit or used the infamous "dink-and-dunk" slam, "OK, if what Brady does is so easy, then why don't all 32 teams do it?" Never got a good answer for that one. ;)

There's some legitimacy to this notion. The Patriots run a lot of bubble screens, maybe not as many as they used to, but still probably more than average. But still, the timing of those plays can have an impact on the defense. It gets frustrating, not to mention exhausting, for pass rushers to go full-bore play after play only to have the QB throw the ball before you can even get a whiff of him. So on the longer developing plays, that often works to the o-line's advantage (because they know whether they'll be blocking for a half-second or a full five). Plus the Patriots run so much out of the no-huddle that Brady has more responsibility to call plays in sequence.

My take on the entire thread is that it speaks to Brady's pre-snap recognition and decision making more than his protection or his mechanics. More often than not, he knows where he's going with the ball because he will spot the mismatch (linebacker on a TE or slot guy, etc). One of the things I think he does better than any QB in the league is he takes what the defense gives him and doesn't try to do anything reckless. If I remember right, when Ray Lewis presented him as the #1 for the NFL's "Top 100" a couple of years back, he said more or less the same thing. Brady makes it look easy, simple... often that's one of the surest signs of greatness.

I've often questioned people, when they bashed him or refused to give him credit or used the infamous "dink-and-dunk" slam, "OK, if what Brady does is so easy, then why don't all 32 teams do it?" Never got a good answer for that one. ;)

It's definitely not a knock, but your offense is run on a lot of shorter passes, and mixed in with deep balls to keep D's honest. It's effective, there's no denying it.

However, I maintain the average speed Tom gets the ball off has little to no correlation on how much time the line gives him. Because in your offense the line isn't always asked to hold back for slower developing plays, but when they are they're proficient at it.

yes he does get great protection . . , my only caveat is that at times him might survey the field more, perhaps more than necessary, and so he looks like he has more time as he holds on to the ball longer, where he or some others would throw earlier thus giving an impression he had more time . . this if coarse holds true for others QBs . . . but when he gets that great pocket and he is hopping 6 paces behind the LOS, he might take longer than in a closer pocket

but for me Brady's sliding, like a boxer in the ring, is as good any that I see in the NFL, now when he has to put one foot in front of the other and runs 3 or more steps then it ain't pretty to watch although at times he get more time, but not as often as his peers . . . but for me Bradys boxer type movement is as good as any one in the NFL . . . not all do it, some just run out of the pocket, fair enough, Brady being less mobile has had to adopt his pocket movement and as such, had really horned this skill . . .

Nice observation there Yehoodi. Sliding feet like a boxer is a good analogy either that or Gregory Hines taught Brady how to tap dance & soft shoe away from LBs or DEs...Ha! Ha! Seriously Brady excels at avoiding the pass rush except the NY Giants. Just Kidding!