Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Brady has fastest release in NFL - per ESPN

JerodMayo51

You mean he could pip Brady for the quickest release in the NFL. Brady was #1 on the list for quickest release, not Manning. Granted, they are basically identical but Brady's number is lower.

Are you immune to reading? Those numbers you posted are not quickest release times.... they are snap to release times. Big difference.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tom Brady has almost never been in a position where he had to have a true quick release before he got sacked. He should be judged as Emmet Smith was. Extremely productive behind a great oline. The last 2 years Fr the Colts Peyton and Andrew were more comparable to Barry Sanders as having been productive behind a practice squad oline.

Tom Brady has almost never been in a position where he had to have a true quick release before he got sacked. He should be judged as Emmet Smith was. Extremely productive behind a great oline. The last 2 years Fr the Colts Peyton and Andrew were more comparable to Barry Sanders as having been productive behind a practice squad oline.

I think you misunderstood the article. It was talking about Brady's release time after the ball is snapped not this throwing motion which is also quick.

And if you think Brady's offensive line was good when he first took over the team than just look at its performance with Bledsoe in 2000 and then the first two games of 2001. As with any great QB, they make their offensive line great. The fact that Brady has the quickest release from the time the ball is snapped tells you that his Oline has to work the least to keep him from getting sacked. I mean I am pretty sure I could be on the Pats Oline if Brady is going to get rid of the ball every time in two and a half seconds after it is snapped.

I think you misunderstood the article. It was talking about Brady's release time after the ball is snapped not this throwing motion which is also quick.

And if you think Brady's offensive line was good when he first took over the team than just look at its performance with Bledsoe in 2000 and then the first two games of 2001. As with any great QB, they make their offensive line great. The fact that Brady has the quickest release from the time the ball is snapped tells you that his Oline has to work the least to keep him from getting sacked. I mean I am pretty sure I could be on the Pats Oline if Brady is going to get rid of the ball every time in two and a half seconds after it is snapped.

This. Brady usually knows where he's going with the ball before it's snapped. Something around 2/3 of the time anyway.

It's more attributable to the Patriots' offense, though, than anything else. At least I would believe so. The general strategy with their offense, unless they're in a situational down, is to go to the match-up, not the player.

This. Brady usually knows where he's going with the ball before it's snapped. Something around 2/3 of the time anyway.

It's more attributable to the Patriots' offense, though, than anything else. At least I would believe so. The general strategy with their offense, unless they're in a situational down, is to go to the match-up, not the player.

I agree but Brady is the one making the decisions and lining everyone up every down - his line, his receivers, his RBs ... he is the main impetus behind it success but yes, the style of offense also helps him to get rid of the ball quickly.

Looking at the release chart:

Brady: 2.49

Hasselbeck: 2.5

Peyton: 2.51

Tannehill: 2.57

Fitzmagic: 2.57

Palmers: 2.57

Gabbert: 2.58

So it doesn't look like release time has any relation to good QB play or not. It's more a representation of the type of offenses they run.

Gabbert releases it because he is scared faster!!! :)

Btw, can someone provide a link?

That's the thing, and it's being somewhat lost in this discussion. This is an average. It also doesn't take into consideration play action or shotgun. There's a lot of washing we could do with this raw data.

It's smart and awesome that Brady is getting the ball out of there so fast, because it makes life easier on the quarterback and the offensive line. And with this being an average, there are times when Brady's going to his receiver in well under two seconds. But there are also times that he holds on to the ball a lot longer, made possible by solid protection. And that's a luxury, really. Most teams don't have a good enough offensive line to allow the quarterback a considerable amount of time to scan the field. I'm not sure what the numbers are, as far as how often Brady holds the ball longer than two and a half seconds, or what kind of protections they use when he does. Just pointing out that he's not getting rid of the ball in two and a half seconds every time he drops back. 

I have had Brady in FF for the last 3 years, and I have watched nearly every NE game during this time.     

Brady goes down field A LOT.    What you said in the bold could not be any farther from the truth.

Brady has led the league in deep throws % >15 yards 2x since 07.    

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000213815/article/ranking-the-best-slot-receivers-in-the-nfl

What

This has nothing to do with quick releases in the sense we normally take it to mean. Brady more than any QB ever, takes a fast 3 steps and throws 5 yard passes to welker or wood head. Everybody knows that. If you want to see a real quick release, watch tape of Peyton in his last year with the Colts. He took us to the playoffs and I have never seen any QB get rid of the ball quicker while still hitting his target most of the time. It's not even close.

That's the thing, and it's being somewhat lost in this discussion. This is an average. It also doesn't take into consideration play action or shotgun. There's a lot of washing we could do with this raw data.

It's smart and awesome that Brady is getting the ball out of there so fast, because it makes life easier on the quarterback and the offensive line. And with this being an average, there are times when Brady's going to his receiver in well under two seconds. But there are also times that he holds on to the ball a lot longer, made possible by solid protection. And that's a luxury, really. Most teams don't have a good enough offensive line to allow the quarterback a considerable amount of time to scan the field. I'm not sure what the numbers are, as far as how often Brady holds the ball longer than two and a half seconds, or what kind of protections they use when he does. Just pointing out that he's not getting rid of the ball in two and a half seconds every time he drops back. 

Exactly...   he holds the ball far too long on many occasions.      

But Tom B really rips it when he lets it go...    I come to really respect him the last few years.   He is a far worse runner than Manning.    And I am not exaggerating.   He cannot move for anything.     And he stands in the pocket like a stallion.    

Oh, and he has a quicker release than Manning.  

JMO... 

When he wants to. Sometimes Brady holds the ball down by his waist, then pats it before he throws it, really slowing his release time down. Manning mostly holds the ball up at his shoulder with two hands on it, reducing the need for a pat, and making his delivery faster. But Brady does have a really quick delivery.

Yep,  you pay attention..    

Great call....  and spot on.

When he wants to. Sometimes Brady holds the ball down by his waist, then pats it before he throws it, really slowing his release time down. Manning mostly holds the ball up at his shoulder with two hands on it, reducing the need for a pat, and making his delivery faster. But Brady does have a really quick delivery.

Was watching ESPN earlier today and they had a segment on QBs who are sacked a lot and their average release time, at the end of the segment they commented that Tom Brady has the fastest average release in the NFL and was #1 on their list.

Of course if you talk to certain people, they'll tell you its just because he has all the time in the world from his impenetrable offensive line that gives him "all day" to throw the football. Looks like that is not true at all, its because Brady delivers the ball on target and faster than anyone in the league.

having a good release does not mean he has a bad OL...

he also has an underrated arm IMO

Good points. But you also have to take into account that when Brady does hold the ball it is not always because he is getting solid protection. He has superb pocket skills and often buys time with his feet. Jaws often calls him the most mobile pocket QB in the game.

Sure. And Manning sometimes taps his toes about 10 times, ala happy feet, before he throws. Every QB has their hitches.

Exactly...   he holds the ball far too long on many occasions.      

But Tom B really rips it when he lets it go...    I come to really respect him the last few years.   He is a far worse runner than Manning.    And I am not exaggerating.   He cannot move for anything.     And he stands in the pocket like a stallion.    

He moves much better in the pocket than Manning. Outside the pocket? Not so much.

Good points. But you also have to take into account that when Brady does hold the ball it is not always because he is getting solid protection. He has superb pocket skills and often buys time with his feet. Jaws often calls him the most mobile pocket QB in the game.

There has to be a pocket in order for "pocket skills" to be relevant.

I'm not saying anything bad about Brady. I'm just saying that he's not throwing the ball in 2.49 seconds every time he drops back. Some of the time he takes considerably longer than that, and that's because he has pretty good pass protection.

I have always look at stats and try to understand what they are and take a step back and see what it represents as you did so nicely . . . I would also add that we throw a lot of WR screens that are basically thrown right from the snap so that is going to bring the average down lower . . . 

and for what it is worth if someone holds on to the ball longer than normal like Big Ben and thus has a higher time I for one would not hold it against him if he ends up making a play because of it, the play will always override the stat in my book . . . also if a QB likes to checks his reads more than the next QB even though both have plenty of time, I am not going to hold it against the former for "taking" more time . . . just a personality preference . . .

Sure. And Manning sometimes taps his toes about 10 times, ala happy feet, before he throws. Every QB has their hitches.

It's not happy feet, it actually helps him get rid of the ball faster.

But that's not the point. I'm saying that holding the ball down by your waist slows your delivery. Holding it up by your shoulder makes it easier to get rid of it, and also reduces the likelihood of fumbles. But it also requires that you wind up if you're going to send the ball deep. If the ball is already down by your waist, you're winding up anyways. Pros and cons.

I think Manning's way is more fundamentally sound, but a lot of strong-armed and successful quarterbacks hold the ball down and pat it. Brett Favre did, Elway did, etc. I think Brady keeps two hands on far more than either of them did.

There has to be a pocket in order for "pocket skills" to be relevant.

I'm not saying anything bad about Brady. I'm just saying that he's not throwing the ball in 2.49 seconds every time he drops back. Some of the time he takes considerably longer than that, and that's because he has pretty good pass protection.

It is also because he knows how to move in the pocket, Brady may be have RGIII type speed, but he knows how to move and slide in the pocket as good as anyone in the NFL, more often than not, the extra time Brady gets is from him moving to the open space in the pocket as opposed to him standing in one general spot whilst 5 OL provide a cushionsy pocket . . . many times Brady will not end up throwing from a spot directly or near directly behind the center position . . .

I think his awkward running style makes people think his not very mobile . . . but he is as mobile and Rogers in the 10x10 pocket . . . and this OL gets some of the benefit from that as he can stay upright at times because of this  . . .

I have always look at stats and try to understand what they are and take a step back and see what it represents as you did so nicely . . . I would also add that we throw a lot of WR screens that are basically thrown right from the snap so that is going to bring the average down lower . . . 

and for what it is worth if someone holds on to the ball longer than normal like Big Ben and thus has a higher time I for one would not hold it against him if he ends up making a play because of it, the play will always override the stat in my book . . . also if a QB likes to checks his reads more than the next QB even though both have plenty of time, I am not going to hold it against the former for "taking" more time . . . just a personality preference . . .

Yup. I think we'll see Luck's average go down considerably this year, because Arians' offense had a lot of routes that were slow to develop, in comparison with what Hamilton is installing.

I personally think guys like Big Ben are their own worst enemy. He complained for half the season about not having Arians, but his efficiency stats were much better, his sack percentage was lower, his interception rate was lower... And that's with him injured for much of the year. If he could find a way to embrace the principles of the new offense, but still keep his gunslinger/playmaker mentality active, he'd be a Brett Favre level producer, but with fewer turnovers (think 2009 Brett Favre).

It is also because he knows how to move in the pocket, Brady may be have RGIII type speed, but he knows how to move and slide in the pocket as good as anyone in the NFL, more often than not, the extra time Brady gets is from him moving to the open space in the pocket as opposed to him standing in one general spot whilst 5 OL provide a cushionsy pocket . . . many times Brady will not end up throwing from a spot directly or near directly behind the center position . . .

I think his awkward running style makes people think his not very mobile . . . but he is as mobile and Rogers in the 10x10 pocket . . . and this OL gets some of the benefit from that as he can stay upright at times because of this  . . .

I agree that Brady is superb in the pocket. It's one of his many outstanding attributes.

But if it doesn't pain you too much, think back to SB42. When there's no pocket, "pocket skills" don't matter. The quarterback will get moved off his spot, he won't be as effective when he does get the ball out, and he's going to take sacks. If the interior line is getting blown back, there's no pocket. If rushers are coming off the edge and collapsing that 10x10 to 4x4, while the wall in front of you gets pushed bulldozed, his ability to move in the pocket becomes irrelevant, because there is no pocket.

I'm not trying to put this entirely on the offensive line, as if Brady isn't good at working the pocket. He's great at it. But the Patriots also have a pretty doggone good offensive line, particularly in pass protection. And that makes life easier for him.

I agree that Brady is superb in the pocket. It's one of his many outstanding attributes.

But if it doesn't pain you too much, think back to SB42. When there's no pocket, "pocket skills" don't matter. The quarterback will get moved off his spot, he won't be as effective when he does get the ball out, and he's going to take sacks. If the interior line is getting blown back, there's no pocket. If rushers are coming off the edge and collapsing that 10x10 to 4x4, while the wall in front of you gets pushed bulldozed, his ability to move in the pocket becomes irrelevant, because there is no pocket.

I'm not trying to put this entirely on the offensive line, as if Brady isn't good at working the pocket. He's great at it. But the Patriots also have a pretty doggone good offensive line, particularly in pass protection. And that makes life easier for him.

true, no QB can be effective in a collapsing pocket . . . but Brady has a unique ability to slide around in the pocket, well the area of the pocket, and at times prior to it collapsing, slide to a opening, quite often created where the rusher just vacated and slide out of pocket if only for 3-4 paces as the pocket is behind him he is in open area . . .that kind of my point, other QB may not have the present and sense to move in that hole perhaps because the do not see it or are fixated on what is going on down field . . . 

and yes there are time when he drops straight back  and hippi hops with not one around him bounce and getting ready to make a throw . . .

true, no QB can be effective in a collapsing pocket . . . but Brady has a unique ability to slide around in the pocket, well the area of the pocket, and at times prior to it collapsing, slide to a opening, quite often created where the rusher just vacated and slide out of pocket if only for 3-4 paces as the pocket is behind him he is in open area . . .that kind of my point, other QB may not have the present and sense to move in that hole perhaps because the do not see it or are fixated on what is going on down field . . . 

and yes there are time when he drops straight back  and hippi hops with not one around him bounce and getting ready to make a throw . . .

Yeah, Brady is good at that. I'm not willing to say that he's so much better at it than everyone else, like some are in this thread. He's one of the best, but there are other quarterbacks that navigate the pocket like that.

And like you say, there are times when he's camped out behind a fortified wall. Some of those might be max protect, I don't know. But he does get pretty good protection.

No he doesn't. 

when it comes to sliding from the side to side he does . . . other movements maybe not so much . . . but there are few if any that can slide side to slide and to openings better than Brady . . . he might be 30 out of 32 in rolling out , but in a crowded phone booth he can slide around and pick up your dime and give you change . . . just saying . . .

Yeah, Brady is good at that. I'm not willing to say that he's so much better at it than everyone else, like some are in this thread. He's one of the best, but there are other quarterbacks that navigate the pocket like that.

And like you say, there are times when he's camped out behind a fortified wall. Some of those might be max protect, I don't know. But he does get pretty good protection.

yes he does get great protection . . , my only caveat is that at times him might survey the field more, perhaps more than necessary, and so he looks like he has more time as he holds on to the ball longer, where he or some others would throw earlier thus giving an impression he had more time . . this if coarse holds true for others QBs . . . but when he gets that great pocket and he is hopping 6 paces behind the LOS, he might take longer than in a closer pocket

but for me Brady's sliding, like a boxer in the ring, is as good any that I see in the NFL, now when he has to put one foot in front of the other and runs 3 or more steps then it ain't pretty to watch although at times he get more time, but not as often as his peers . . . but for me Bradys boxer type movement is as good as any one in the NFL . . . not all do it, some just run out of the pocket, fair enough, Brady being less mobile has had to adopt his pocket movement and as such, had really horned this skill . . .

when it comes to sliding from the side to side he does 

Meh, they're about even. Brady may have more opportunities to showcase it, but they're about even on the ability.

but there are few if any that can slide side to slide and to openings better than Brady

He's pretty good. But there are a few other QBs who are just as good. It sure helps that the O-line is able to get those huge openings and not allow pressure up the middle. Otherwise he'd be toast.

They both can....  and have got to.

Of course we are all biased.. 

Nobody did it better than Marino.

when it comes to sliding from the side to side he does . . . other movements maybe not so much . . . but there are few if any that can slide side to slide and to openings better than Brady . . . he might be 30 out of 32 in rolling out , but in a crowded phone booth he can slide around and pick up your dime and give you change . . . just saying . . .

Meh, they're about even. Brady may have more opportunities to showcase it, but they're about even on the ability.

He's pretty good. But there are a few other QBs who are just as good. It sure helps that the O-line is able to get those huge openings and not allow pressure up the middle. Otherwise he'd be toast.

that is true, but many times he goes to the hole where the DL vacated . . .

Oh, and he has a quicker release than Manning.  

JMO... 

He had better arm strength than Manning, even when Peyton was in his prime. I tried telling that to Colts fans then but they are more likely to believe me now. :)

Before the 2 TE offense of the Pats evolved, he did have a slightly higher average than Peyton in release time. The 2 TE offense took the underneath route game to another level for the Pats and helped with his release time stats, and that is a logical conclusion that can be made.

He had better arm strength than Manning, even when Peyton was in his prime. I tried telling that to Colts fans then but they are more likely to believe me now. :)

Before the 2 TE offense of the Pats evolved, he did have a slightly higher average than Peyton in release time. The 2 TE offense took the underneath route game to another level for the Pats and helped with his release time stats, and that is a logical conclusion that can be made.

Now his 2 TE offense has devolved.

I have had Brady in FF for the last 3 years, and I have watched nearly every NE game during this time.     

Brady goes down field A LOT.    What you said in the bold could not be any farther from the truth.

Brady has led the league in deep throws % >15 yards 2x since 07.    

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000213815/article/ranking-the-best-slot-receivers-in-the-nfl

2007? Wasn't that when he had Randy Moss? Excuse me, but 7 years have passed since then and Brady played a long time before 2007 so that's not anything great especially since you talking like he is the greatest.

It's not happy feet, it actually helps him get rid of the ball faster.

But that's not the point. I'm saying that holding the ball down by your waist slows your delivery. Holding it up by your shoulder makes it easier to get rid of it, and also reduces the likelihood of fumbles. But it also requires that you wind up if you're going to send the ball deep. If the ball is already down by your waist, you're winding up anyways. Pros and cons.

I think Manning's way is more fundamentally sound, but a lot of strong-armed and successful quarterbacks hold the ball down and pat it. Brett Favre did, Elway did, etc. I think Brady keeps two hands on far more than either of them did.

Lol to the bolded man. I know Peyton is your all time fav. player but happy feet does not help him throw the ball faster. It is a sign of indecision much in the same way other QBs pat the ball waiting for a WR to get open. A QB throws the ball faster by having his feet planted and stepping into the throw with his hips...