Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Brady has fastest release in NFL - per ESPN

JerodMayo51

Was watching ESPN earlier today and they had a segment on QBs who are sacked a lot and their average release time, at the end of the segment they commented that Tom Brady has the fastest average release in the NFL and was #1 on their list.

Of course if you talk to certain people, they'll tell you its just because he has all the time in the world from his impenetrable offensive line that gives him "all day" to throw the football. Looks like that is not true at all, its because Brady delivers the ball on target and faster than anyone in the league.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What's it like, .01 seconds faster than Peyton and Rodgers?

Literally .02 seconds faster than Peyton. lol

.27 seconds faster than Rodgers. Rodgers has a below average release time. Probably the only flaw in his game.

Looking at the release chart:

Brady: 2.49

Hasselbeck: 2.5

Peyton: 2.51
Tannehill: 2.57

Fitzmagic: 2.57

Palmers: 2.57

Gabbert: 2.58

So it doesn't look like release time has any relation to good QB play or not. It's more a representation of the type of offenses they run.

So it doesn't look like release time has any relation to good QB play or not. It's more a representation of the type of offenses they run.

HEEH.EEE...

Who in the hell looks at a ....    chart?   To judge a QB?  

I mean seriously?.. .    Look at the names on the "CHART" and you will feel stupid.

HEEH.EEE...

Who in the heck looks at a ....    chart?   To judge a QB?  

I mean seriously?.. .    Look at the names on the "CHART" and you will feel stupid.

I.....what? I was just talking about the release times.

I would look at playoff wins.....

just saying...    Brady was a 6th round draft pick.

Kinda "Skews" ...  things... 

I don't think you get what I'm saying.

The "chart' I listed was the quickest release times in the NFL. 5 of the 7 players are "below average" QBs. 

So what I was saying is quick release doesn't automatically relate to good QB play.

Interesting......

I think this thread has all sorts of interesting, and in some cases contradictory, and other cases, confusing information...

First,  to the poster who claims Marino is the fastest release of all time,  I think you're right and I don't think there's any question.

But in Marino's case,  we're talking about the split second from the time his brain said "Throw!"  to the time the ball left his hand.

These release times are from the time the ball was snapped by the center, to the time of the release.   So, it includes the QB drop-back and scanning the field.    So, two entirely different things.

Next point....   I'm not doubting Dustin's chart,  but that's not what ESPN showed today on NFL live.   So, I'm wondering if he got it from one of his premium websites?

The chart ESPN showed today was the 5 or 6 slowest release times....   from center snap to release point.   I can't remember who was the longest (more appropriate word than slowest)  but 2nd overall was Andrew Luck at I think 3.76 seconds.   Again, snap to release.

And the broadcasters were saying Brady was the fast at 3-point-something.   Very close to 3-flat.  

So,  I'm not understanding these times in the 2's?    That doesn't add up to me and makes me wonder if we're really comparing apples to apples here?

I'm sure Dustin's chart is correct,  but about what I'm not so sure.   It just doesn't match-up with what was on ESPN's NFL Live today.

Hope this post is clear and understood by all....     Thanks....

Interesting......

I think this thread has all sorts of interesting, and in some cases contradictory, and other cases, confusing information...

First,  to the poster who claims Marino is the fastest release of all time,  I think you're right and I don't think there's any question.

But in Marino's case,  we're talking about the split second from the time his brain said "Throw!"  to the time the ball left his hand.

These release times are from the time the ball was snapped by the center, to the time of the release.   So, it includes the QB drop-back and scanning the field.    So, two entirely different things.

Next point....   I'm not doubting Dustin's chart,  but that's not what ESPN showed today on NFL live.   So, I'm wondering if he got it from one of his premium websites?

The chart ESPN showed today was the 5 or 6 slowest release times....   from center snap to release point.   I can't remember who was the longest (more appropriate word than slowest)  but 2nd overall was Andrew Luck at I think 3.76 seconds.   Again, snap to release.

And the broadcasters were saying Brady was the fast at 3-point-something.   Very close to 3-flat.  

So,  I'm not understanding these times in the 2's?    That doesn't add up to me and makes me wonder if we're really comparing apples to apples here?

I'm sure Dustin's chart is correct,  but about what I'm not so sure.   It just doesn't match-up with what was on ESPN's NFL Live today.

Hope this post is clear and understood by all....     Thanks....

I was using the PFF stats, but now that I look at the list, it seems that it was compiled at the beginning of November. 

So basically all of the numbers I've been spitting out only accounted for only the 1st half of the season.

Sorry about the mix-up. I'd just go with whatever ESPN said though. My numbers are incomplete.

This thread is very decieving from a semantical perspective.

A quick release is how long it takes you to throw a ball, from the time you start winding back to when it comes out of your hand. It has nothing to do with how long it takes to throw the ball after the snap... that is very much down to offensive schemes, ability to scramble, receivers getting open, pass rush etc.

I have always considered Peyton to have the quickest release, Brady and Rodgers are also extremely quick. Out of the young QBs, Russel Wilson has the quickest release.

It is one of the most natural skills a QB can have and is not something that can be developed much. I think when Johnny Manziel comes out he could pip Manning for the quickest release in the NFL.

Undoubtedly the slowest release I have ever seen is Tim Tebow's.... it looks like he needs wound up before throwing.

This thread is very decieving from a semantical perspective.

A quick release is how long it takes you to throw a ball, from the time you start winding back to when it comes out of your hand. It has nothing to do with how long it takes to throw the ball after the snap... that is very much down to offensive schemes, ability to scramble, receivers getting open, pass rush etc.

I have always considered Peyton to have the quickest release, Brady and Rodgers are also extremely quick. Out of the young QBs, Russel Wilson has the quickest release.

It is one of the most natural skills a QB can have and is not something that can be developed much. I think when Johnny Manziel comes out he could pip Manning for the quickest release in the NFL.

Undoubtedly the slowest release I have ever seen is Tim Tebow's.... it looks like he needs wound up before throwing.

Forgot Romo... he has a seriously quick release and is an all-round incredibly talented pure passer. Shame about his lack of clutch.

What this is saying is that Brady is the best at reading a defense pre-snap and knowing where to go to with the ball as soon as the ball is snapped. Not surprising as the tape pretty much shows this. This is also why is sacked so few times. Rarely does the rush have the time to get there.

interesting as at r times manning was clocked at 0.70 seconds at times, usually 1.50  with an average of less than 2, forgot what season it was but was when he was a colt , think his llast year and his OL was well  bad and still he did just fine finding targets and getting into playoffs, also could have been the  season we didnt try for undefeated

Gabbert being up there makes u wonder if he just throws it away

What this is saying is that Brady is the best at reading a defense pre-snap and knowing where to go to with the ball as soon as the ball is snapped. Not surprising as the tape pretty much shows this. This is also why is sacked so few times. Rarely does the rush have the time to get there.

can also show quick slants to welker , but that is forced on him with injuries

most on this list the statistical difference with Tom, Hasselback & Peyton  are nil & can result of type of play developement and time needed for that, Gabbert being on it makes u think how just throwing away a pass gets u on this list

Brady & Peyton can each go under a second if have to and make a completion

I think some are confusing these release times with the release time of a QBs throwing motion. These times are from snap to release. No one takes that much time to just throw the ball. So these release times do not directly correlate to a QB's actual quickness of his throwing motion. Last year Luck had most deep targets in league so there is no way our wide outs can get 25 yards deep at the same rate as Wes welker running a 3 yard slant.  

can also show quick slants to welker , but that is forced on him with injuries

most on this list the statistical difference with Tom, Hasselback & Peyton  are nil & can result of type of play developement and time needed for that, Gabbert being on it makes u think how just throwing away a pass gets u on this list

Brady & Peyton can each go under a second if have to and make a completion

I think some are confusing these release times with the release time of a QBs throwing motion. These times are from snap to release. No one takes that much time to just throw the ball. So these release times do not directly correlate to a QB's actual quickness of his throwing motion. Last year Luck had most deep targets in league so there is no way our wide outs can get 25 yards deep at the same rate as Wes welker running a 3 yard slant.  

Thats exactly what i was saying, letting time run down as play progressives or if need to read various receiver progressions as     add to &  affects #'s

It's not really release time. It's time from snap to pass.

When I hear "release time," I'm thinking the time it takes for the quarterback to complete his throwing motion.

yeah... tell that to the giants

This has nothing to do with quick releases in the sense we normally take it to mean. Brady more than any QB ever, takes a fast 3 steps and throws 5 yard passes to welker or wood head. Everybody knows that. If you want to see a real quick release, watch tape of Peyton in his last year with the Colts. He took us to the playoffs and I have never seen any QB get rid of the ball quicker while still hitting his target most of the time. It's not even close.

You mean he could pip Brady for the quickest release in the NFL. Brady was #1 on the list for quickest release, not Manning. Granted, they are basically identical but Brady's number is lower.

they got the story crossed with a comment recently made by gisele

You mean the phrase "Going, going, gone!" isn't a term of praise & endearment SDS?  haha Just Kidding Patriots Nation! I do respect Tom Brady for his incredible intelligence & physical field durability year after year.