Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Fun thought for anyone who wants to spice up their leagues

MrNLM

A friend of mine and I have been talking about a way to change the RB position is fantasy football. It could happen one a several ways. the two ways that I like are as follows:

1) THE EASY WAY - Agree as a league that when a starting running back is drafted, that RB's backups are now considered undraftable. Week by week the commish or an appointed league member has to tally the points gained by each RB on said team and adjust the starting RB's score accordingly. Basically it would be a Team Running Back position on your fantasy teams starting lineup.

Now here is the twist... if a starting running back gets injured or goes to the IR... a rival team can pick up the next RB in line from the waivers BUT, if a RB is picked up from waivers a RB must be added back into the waiver pool. This ensures that one or a couple of teams don't control the majority of the RB market.

2) THE HARD-EASY WAY - create a league or alter your existing league to allow your starting lineup to have ZERO RB slots and the max amount of FLEX slots or RB/WR slots. Make sure your entire league understands this simple rule during the drafting process:

Whichever round you decide to draft a starting RB, you MUST draft that starting RB's backup in the next round following.

This does a couple of cool things during the draft... it adds a new dimension to the draft strategy process of each owner... it can allow for owners who are lacking in certain positions to "catch up" while other owners are drafting their starting RB and backup RB in sequential rounds... and it allows for the scoring to be left alone unlike THE EASY WAY mentioned above.

The league should also understand that if you add a starting RB to your lineup that the backup RB MUST be in the starting lineup as well. Any remaining FLEX slots or RB/WR slots(however you choose to set it up) can be filled with other positions.

I myself would prefer THE EASY WAY. Doing it this way seems to have less holes in the logic. Doing it THE HARD-EASY WAY may pose some problems but all league members should understand the risks of adding such rules to the scheme of a fantasy league.

Question..If you do it the hard way...can it be any backup RB..or one that is considered 3rd or 4th..

Take Carolina for instance..Williams and Stewart are 1-2, but could you take the rookie Kenyon Barner, or like the Colts..Bradshaw and Ballard are 1-2, could we pick DB,  Williams, or Carter?

This is silly... 

Some owners value the RB position.   Others do NOT.    And when one plays in a league that allows too many roster spots the "RB have nots" cry like babies.    When their bell cow goes down and they DO NOT HAVE HIS BACKUP.

Easy solution.      allow only 6 bench spots.     And of course in all money leagues I am involved in $5 a transaction.  

Makes for a lovely pot at the end.   But this is a free league...  just keep the roster spots low and all will be well.     6 is

s perfect.  

Fantasy FF is NOT all luck, it does take a little bit of "time" ..    

Yahoo default is perfect IMO.   Roster size that is.      The Yahoo default scoring can be adjusted, and needs to be.

Or...   how about this.... 

When you draft a "stud" RB in the early first ...  how about backing him up in the mid rounds with his BACKUP?

Heheee,,   I know it sucks having to burn a roster spot on a "backup" but ..    it does PAY OFF some times.

:thmup:

This is silly... 

Some owners value the RB position.   Others do NOT.    And when one plays in a league that allows too many roster spots the "RB have nots" cry like babies.    When their bell cow goes down and they DO NOT HAVE HIS BACKUP.

Easy solution.      allow only 6 bench spots.     And of course in all money leagues I am involved in $5 a transaction.  

Makes for a lovely pot at the end.   But this is a free league...  just keep the roster spots low and all will be well.     6 is

s perfect.  

Fantasy FF is NOT all luck, it does take a little bit of "time" ..    

Yahoo default is perfect IMO.   Roster size that is.      The Yahoo default scoring can be adjusted, and needs to be.

That sounds fun. The $5 per transaction part. Any open slots?

Question..If you do it the hard way...can it be any backup RB..or one that is considered 3rd or 4th..

Take Carolina for instance..Williams and Stewart are 1-2, but could you take the rookie Kenyon Barner, or like the Colts..Bradshaw and Ballard are 1-2, could we pick DB,  Williams, or Carter?

However you want to do it would be fine in my book. I guess the idea would be to take the backup RB that you think will net you the most points since you are required to start the backup if you start the main RB.

I wish there was a reputable site that would allow you to TRULY customize every aspect of the fantasy setup.

fees are for organized leagues with folk who all know each other.....   so we can chase the big loser down.

hehe..     and we always do...

But yes, transaction fees in a private league are the best way to jack up the pot.

That sounds fun. The $5 per transaction part. Any open slots?

One of the leagues I was involved in did this. They allowed you to retain the rights of the primary backup QB should your starting QB that you drafted go down. If Tom Brady went down in 2008, you had the right to pick up Matt Cassel and no one else did. QB being a solo position, I understood the importance of it. But it also meant playing 2 QBs in your roster with only QBs from same team allowed. It worked great for situations like Michael Vick and Kevin Kolb.

In the case of 6 bench spots, if someone fills it with 4 RBs on the bench while 3 on the roster, they could be doing it for 2 reasons, hoarding RBs or using it as trade bait. In a 12 team league, that does create a shortage of RBs though. If it is a 8 or 10 team league, the impact is lesser, IMO.

That is why closing trade windows a few weeks before the playoffs start at least deals with a lot of these situations. If there is no trade possibility, then the person with 4 RBs on the bench towards the end of the FF season is undeniably playing "keep away", especially if that person is high in the standings and has a good shot at getting a top seed. That is how my competitive juices makes me think about it, that person accruing RBs cant reason it out or explain it any other way if trades are not a possibility, no way.

Most commissioners wont close waivers once the playoffs start, but they will close trade opportunities a few weeks prior, and I agree that is the closest to best solution for fair transactions.

Waivers stay open all through the season.

Trades end at week 11 or so..  and need to be approved.     MAJORITY VOTE.

And the backup issue is comical to me...        Back up a Stud...     do not WAIT for him to get hurt.

School is in session ...   come Andy's draft date ...

hehe..

Waivers stay open all through the season.

Trades end at week 11 or so..  and need to be approved.     MAJORITY VOTE.

And the backup issue is comical to me...        Back up a Stud...     do not WAIT for him to get hurt.

School is in session ...   come Andy's draft date ...

hehe..

Were you one of the champions, John Dee?