Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Things to do now

Stillen

With the lockout ending today the free agent wire is going to be crazy. These are just some things I think the Colts should to do so we can make it to the Super Bowl this year and win it on our home turf.

1. Sign Peyton Manning - We all know this is going to happen so not a big worry, but definitely out biggest priority.

2. Resign Clint Session - He does a lot for out defense and I would probably say is out best back, even ahead of Brackett.

3. Re-Structure Kelvin Hayden's Contract - He's in to make something around 8 million this year. That is WAY to much for how many games hes missed since getting the extension and his none ability to press/man coverage.

4. Cut/Re-Structure Ryan Diem's Contract - He has been a solid tackle for a while, but he is getting older and we saw him on a down slope last year. I would cut him and use the money on a strong guard like Justin Blalock.

5. Sign Dawan Landry - With Bob Sanders being cut and signing with the Chargers it leaves a big gap in out secondary. Sign Landry would strengthen our run defense and give us solid coverage on that side of the field. I believe he would be a better option than Bullitt.

6. Sign Barry Cofield/Tommie Harris - Either/or. Either one of them would help us plug up the middle and get backs to bounce to the outside for out speedy linebackers to close in. I think Cofield would be the best option for that, but he would ask for money than Harris would. But either would improve out situation.

7. Resign Charlie Johnson - We could get him cheaper than most other tackles on the market and could fit into RT.

8. Sign a Guard - Like a said, we should use the money that we get from Diem to sign a better guard. Then we have Costanzo at LT, Igalana at LG, Saturday at C, Signed Guard, Johnson at RT.

Minus staying healthy, I think this would greatly improve the team and help them get to the Super Bowl and win it all at Lucas Oil. although most likely not all of this will happen, but I'm hoping at least some of it will to help clean up some of our weaknesses on defense and offense.

Good list. I think quickly before #1 is making sure that the organization fully understands the new cba.

I think that is Dennis Polian's new job. no pressure or anything........but he's got about 5 minutes to figure that thing out

With the lockout ending today the free agent wire is going to be crazy. These are just some things I think the Colts should to do so we can make it to the Super Bowl this year and win it on our home turf.

1. Sign Peyton Manning - We all know this is going to happen so not a big worry, but definitely out biggest priority.

2. Resign Clint Session - He does a lot for out defense and I would probably say is out best back, even ahead of Brackett.

3. Re-Structure Kelvin Hayden's Contract - He's in to make something around 8 million this year. That is WAY to much for how many games hes missed since getting the extension and his none ability to press/man coverage.

4. Cut/Re-Structure Ryan Diem's Contract - He has been a solid tackle for a while, but he is getting older and we saw him on a down slope last year. I would cut him and use the money on a strong guard like Justin Blalock.

5. Sign Dawan Landry - With Bob Sanders being cut and signing with the Chargers it leaves a big gap in out secondary. Sign Landry would strengthen our run defense and give us solid coverage on that side of the field. I believe he would be a better option than Bullitt.

6. Sign Barry Cofield/Tommie Harris - Either/or. Either one of them would help us plug up the middle and get backs to bounce to the outside for out speedy linebackers to close in. I think Cofield would be the best option for that, but he would ask for money than Harris would. But either would improve out situation.

7. Resign Charlie Johnson - We could get him cheaper than most other tackles on the market and could fit into RT.

8. Sign a Guard - Like a said, we should use the money that we get from Diem to sign a better guard. Then we have Costanzo at LT, Igalana at LG, Saturday at C, Signed Guard, Johnson at RT.

Minus staying healthy, I think this would greatly improve the team and help them get to the Super Bowl and win it all at Lucas Oil. although most likely not all of this will happen, but I'm hoping at least some of it will to help clean up some of our weaknesses on defense and offense.

Agree with most of them. I'm not sure if Hayden will re-structure, same with Diem. Diem should just be cut in my opinion, but Hayden should definitely restructure. I'm also a little iffy on Harris, only take him if he comes cheap. He has had injury problems and his production has dropped recently. I would want our top 2 options at DT to be Mebane and Coefield. I'm also not sure about the guard, we have Pollak, McClendon, DeVan and CJ's natural position is guard. With more options at tackle, he can possibly slide back to guard; I don't think we need to sign one.

We should cut Kelvin Hayden (he sucks), Anthony Gonzales, Jerry Hughes, Donald Brown, Aaron Fansico, and Jacob Lacey in my opinion, and really dig into the free agency like never before to shock people and just changing up our system of getting other quality vets to help this team win another super bowl. We should sign a CB, S, DT, T, and a WR and I think with the upgrades we can be a force to be recon with.

We should cut Kelvin Hayden (he sucks), Anthony Gonzales, Jerry Hughes, Donald Brown, Aaron Fansico, and Jacob Lacey in my opinion, and really dig into the free agency like never before to shock people and just changing up our system of getting other quality vets to help this team win another super bowl. We should sign a CB, S, DT, T, and a WR and I think with the upgrades we can be a force to be recon with.

Why would we cut Jerry Hughes and Lacey, there both young and we're gonna need them in the future. And you know what, the same with Gonzalez. Kelvin Hayden's contract is too big, but there are many things we can do instead of releasing him. Donald Brown is in his make or break year; we'll know if we'll release him at the end of the upcoming season. Aaron Francisco could go either way. BTW, the Colts aren't going to let go guys who are under contract, because they're not big in the off-season and if you release these guys, we have to sign a lot of guys in the free agency, something the Colts do not do.

Hayden doesn't suck, he is just overpaid. He is a good CB, but not worth the money he is getting. Gonzo is still on his rookie contract, so he is due to make $500 000 this year I think. No harm in keeping a guy with 0 cost and tons of potential. Hughes is going into his 2nd year, it is way too early to determine if he is a bust or not. Give him some more time. This is a make or break year for Brown, let's see how he does this year. Lacey is young and a decent corner, he isn't a starter, but could find some time in nickel or dime packages. Francisco knows the system, but I wouldn't be too upset to let him go. FAs don't always pan out, so I don't think it's a good idea to really hit into FA's hard. I would like to see us pick up Cofield/Mebane and Dawan Landry/Donte Whitner, but other than that, I don't think we need much. We have the starters, we just need the depth at some positions. That's why I think undrafted rookies would be the way to go, they would come at a much cheaper price.

Restructuring Kelvin Hayden's deal would help a lot and we could sign Cofield or Mebane.

Releasing Jacob Lacey is a bad move in my opinion, with Jerraud Powers coming back into the rotation we have out 1 and 2 corners with Powers and Hayden while Lacey will do fine as out nickel mostly lining up with their slot receiver.

This is Donald Brown's make it or break it year, but I think it would be much more beneficial to sign DeAngelo Williams and let Addai go and have Delone Carter as our short yardage back. If we did keep Brown through his contract, he would be a pretty good backup in case anything were to happen to Williams, but Carter would probably get the nod, but most likely won't happen. (Signing Williams that is)

1) Resign Peyton

2)Resign Adam V.

3) Release Diem

4) Resign Addai (only if cheap)

4)Resign AJ

5)Resign CJ

6) See if Hayden will restructure (probably won't)

7) Sign Mebane

8) Sign Whitner

9) resign Hagler for special teams

The rest of the Colt's free agents i feel should walk and we plug and chug our depth through UDFA's. Peyton's contract will break us so we can't afford to explore much of a market. Polian needs to work his magic again!

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/6801653/jim-irsay-indianapolis-colts-says-peyton-manning-deal-limited-new-rules

"Whatever the [annual] number [of the contract] is, $20 million, you're topping off there where it becomes very, very difficult to be competitive and to field a team," Irsay said. "It's really important that we get the deal done so we can plan going forward not only cap-wise but competitively-wise. It's something I hope gets done very quickly and quite frankly it should get done very quickly because he is going to be the highest-paid player, he is going to make more than Brady.

"But under this system you cannot pay a player $25 million. It's just not going to work, you're not going to be able to compete."

We Def need and have been lacking a huge Defensive prescense in the middle, i think Tommie Harris/Barry Coefield would be a huge step in the right direction, I also wouldnt mind Donte Whitner as well, Hes shown big play ability as well in the defensive backfield