Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Nick Foles vs. Matt Barkley (ok it was really Arizona vs. USC but not really)

Foles' numbers:

41/53 for 425 yards, 4 TD and 2 INT. Incidentally these were the first 2 INT's Foles has thrown all year. I will put one of them on him though his TE did slow up on his route. The other INT though was all on WR Juron Criner who ran right into a stationery defender and then just stopped. Foles threw it to where Criner was supposed to be.

Barkley had a great game as well:

32/39 for 468 yards, 4 TD and 1 INT...I don't put this INT on Barkley either, it was more a great read and react by the CB, who to that point had done nothing but commit 2 incredibly stupid pass interference penalties.

Both QB's played great and made some outstanding throws. I was very impressed with both QB's ability to roll out to their left and throw accurately on the run. Typically a QB only rolls out to the side of his throwing arm but these guys both rolled out opposite that and still made accurate throws on the run. Another thing both QB's did an excellent job of was putting the ball into very tight windows.

I give them both a strong A to A+ for the game...in the end it really came down to the fact that Barkley has a much better team around him. Foles was under a lot more pressure than Barkley was and Foles took the game's only sack due to a great play by the defender getting around the LT and blindsiding Foles.

I will catch a lot of flak for saying this, but Russell Wilson is the best QB in the country.

He's athletic, but he doesn't play like Vince Young or Michael Vick. He stays in the pocket, but has the added advantage of being capable of making plays with his feet. A la Aaron Rodgers or Ben Roethlisberger.

Most importantly, he has the quickest release of all the QB prospects (0.39 seconds), including Luck; Wilson is also more accurate. He's got immense arm strength, and makes virtually no mistakes (only 1 INT, and a higher than 74% completion percentage with 12.8 ypa). Furthermore, he plays in a Pro-style system, and has now had success with two different teams.

Whoever gets him will find an incredible value. He should be the leading candidate for the Heisman right now. His performance against a top 10 team on national television hasn't been equalled. Finally, he is very patient and welcomes a balanced attack when necessary.

The one thing that may hold him back is his size. He's built like Drew Brees.

I will catch a lot of flak for saying this, but Russell Wilson is the best QB in the country.

He's athletic, but he doesn't play like Vince Young or Michael Vick. He stays in the pocket, but has the added advantage of being capable of making plays with his feet. A la Aaron Rodgers or Ben Roethlisberger.

Most importantly, he has the quickest release of all the QB prospects (0.39 seconds), including Luck; Wilson is also more accurate. He's got immense arm strength, and makes virtually no mistakes (only 1 INT, and a higher than 74% completion percentage with 12.8 ypa). Furthermore, he plays in a Pro-style system, and has now had success with two different teams.

Whoever gets him will find an incredible value. He should be the leading candidate for the Heisman right now. His performance against a top 10 team on national television hasn't been equalled. Finally, he is very patient and welcomes a balanced attack when necessary.

The one thing that may hold him back is his size. He's built like Drew Brees.

Well you won't catch any flak from me. I haven't paid any attention to him so far but you've peaked my curiosity. I believe I have the most recent Wisconsin game set to record at some point on one of the replays so I'll be sure to check him out. You're right though, his height is going to be a big knock against him...but I wouldn't completely discount him for that because Brees has been more than successful. :)