Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts and RB Ahmad Bradshaw agreed to one-year deal.

corgi

So you thinking it's Carter or Williams that goes ? I'm thinking Brown as Bradshaw does everything Brown does and does it a little better.

I see much more overlap between Bradshaw and Ballard's game than I do between Bradshaw and Brown (wow, that really is a lot of B's). As long as he's healthy, Bradshaw will beat out both IMO. The only X-factor is how much Bradshaw's got left in the tank; but Ahmad is clearly the best RB on our roster today.

Brown's skillset complements the between the tackle, downhill power style Ballard and Bradshaw use. 

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One thing that Brown has that Bradshaw doesn't is "home run" speed.  Brown is a threat to take it to the house on any given play. That is a dimension that no other RB on the Colts roster outside of possibly unproven rookie Kerwynn Williams offers.  This is why I would hedge my bets on Brown being retained over Carter if it comes down to a choice between the two. 

Bradshaw runs with toughness and could be used in goal line or short yardage situations as effectively if not more effectively than Delone Carter.  IMO, Carter is the back whose skill set would be less likely to be missed. 

Also, I think Carter's the one who will be the odd man out. We'll have two more power-style backs with Bradshaw and Ballard, Brown is the faster complement and 3rd down back, and Williams projects as our returner. That's just all projection of course- we'll get it straightened out once the pads go on.

What I do know is this is the best I've felt about our running game in years between the depth of our backfield and talent upgrade up front. That's the most important thing. I don't have any particular horse in this race, it's just refreshing to know whichever back wins the most reps will have fought through some tough competition to get them. Steel sharpens steel. 

We will cut some camp body but by the final cut to 53 I bet we cut Brown. We can save $2.2 mil in cap by cutting brown. I just don't think that a 3rd string RB will be worth that much.

So what do you do if Bradshaw goes down in Game 1? 

We need Donald for 'insurance'.  We can let go Carter.

I see much more overlap between Bradshaw and Ballard's game than I do between Bradshaw and Brown (wow, that really is a lot of B's). As long as he's healthy, Bradshaw will beat out both IMO. The only X-factor is how much Bradshaw's got left in the tank; but Ahmad is clearly the best RB on our roster today.

Brown's skillset complements the between the tackle, downhill power style Ballard and Bradshaw use. 

Agreed.  Bradshaw and Ballard do have more overlap but that is perfectly fine because they will likely be 1A and 1B garnering the majority of the carries between them.  Having both helps to keep Bradshaw fresher and hopefully healthier.  Both run with determination and purpose.   Potentially, either or both of Bradshaw/Ballard could rush for 1,000 yards if healthy and with enough rushing attempts. Brown's speed is a nice compliment and change of pace from both and adds another element to the run game. 

Love the move.

I also don't think this means we'll cut Brown. We probably won't re-sign him, but we'll keep him this season. He's a cheap home run threat, and as excited as I am about Kerwynn Williams, I wouldn't feel comfortable with him as our only speed back. I think Carter's the odd man out. Keeping him and losing Brown makes our RB corps a little too one-dimensional.

Bradshaw

Ballard/Brown

Williams

Looks legit to me. That's a stable we can win with, especially with better blocking.

I HOPE this is how it ends up. 

It is way to dangerous to cut Brown and keep Carter when Bradshaw gets dinged again.

Carter is the expendable one...short yardage can be handled by the FB (and Dwayne now and then).

So what do you do if Bradshaw goes down in Game 1?

We need Donald for 'insurance'. We can let go Carter.

We don't need two hand tap brown for insurance. While he did improve his blocking I still like carter over him especially if he can hold onto the ball. Really want to see what Williams can do. He may make Brown expendable.

Don't know if this has been mentioned, but I found this in a comment after Paul K's article...

Since Ahmad Bradshaw entered the league in 2007, only three players have averaged more yards per carry (900 attempts) than the sixth all-time leading rusher in Giants history.

Good points.....

I was only speaking broadly...   roughly $8 Mill for 4 years.

And it definitely won't be $4m which you wisely caught from another post.     That was my main reason for chiming in.

And while we're getting a little snug against the cap,  we should still be all in all....

A reminder to some here....    GM's like having roughly 5-10% reserve for moves during the year.   We're inside the 10% mark.

We still have some room...  just not as much.

Another thing I keep forgetting about, we still have McAfee on the tag. We have until next month to negotiate a long term deal there, if that's part of the plan. That could salvage a million or so on the cap.

Evan Silva@evansilva

#Colts GM Grigson would do well to find a GM who was high on Donald Brown coming out of UConn & salvage a late round pick for him.

Chris Wesseling@ChrisWesseling

Jets and Chargers were reportedly high on him coming out. A.J now with Redskins. Tannenbaum in limbo.

Never expected this move, but the more and more I think about it, the more and more I absolutely love it. I don't think it's something we set out to do in the offseason, but when the market fell out from under him we were able to make him an offer friendly to us. 

If it doesn't work and he can't stay healthy, it's whatever. We're not on the hook for much.

Low risk, high reward. 

IMO this is the end for Carter. Sure, we could try to trade Brown, but IMO they will still want him to be that speedier change of pace back. Carter is just kind of like Ballard and Bradshaw, just not as good. 

Good job, Grigs. 

Evan Silva@evansilva

#Colts GM Grigson would do well to find a GM who was high on Donald Brown coming out of UConn & salvage a late round pick for him.

Chris Wesseling@ChrisWesseling

Jets and Chargers were reportedly high on hm coming out. A.J now with Redskins. Tannenbaum in limbo.

Telesco is in San Diego, and Matthews is constantly hurt. Might be a trade scenario there.

How about that and it didn't even take the other thread getting out of the 20 pages number for it to happen unlike what happened with DHB.

only reason this one didnt do that.  Was we knew from the beginning who it was.  DHB it was ok who was irsays drunken butt tweeting about...lol

Why are you guys so obsessed with cutting Brown? You do realize that would make us one injury away from the debacle in the backfield at the end of last year where it was just Ballard carrying the ENTIRE load.

And please saving 1 million or 500k over this year and the next as these "cap gurus" are saying is neglitable at best. You won't make a giant dent in your team for the year cutting a 1 million dollar player for a bottom feeder RB or undrafted player.

And given Bradshaws injury history, there is a likelihood that could happen. Keep Brown and Ballard with Bradshaw being the starter due to his excellent pass protection and vet exp.

The Colts have enough depth now to be completely fine if there's an injury. If Ballard goes down, there's still Bradshaw, Carter and Williams capable of doing the job (that is if they stay). If AB goes down, there's Ballard, Carter and Williams. It's different from last year where it was all Ballard when Brown was down. 

That is why, on top of the financial details, they can afford to cut or even trade Donald Brown. 

The Colts have enough depth now to be completely fine if there's an injury. If Ballard goes down, there's still Bradshaw, Carter and Williams capable of doing the job (that is if they stay). If AB goes down, there's Ballard, Carter and Williams. It's different from last year where it was all Ballard when Brown was down.

That is why, on top of the financial details, they can afford to cut or even trade Donald Brown.

The question is whether that would be what's best for our team. There's nothing wrong with Donald Brown. He's still better than Carter and Williams. His performance and production last season was very similar to Ballard's, yet everyone has decided that Ballard is significantly better. Whatever, let's call Brown our #3 back. What's wrong with that?

Why not let him compete through camp, and then settle on your best stable of three backs?

The actual factual of it is that Donald Brown is in the fans' doghouse. People have been talking about cutting Donald Brown for years now, despite the fact that there's a place for him on the roster and he's not making a whole ton of money. Just leave it be and see who rises to the top of the heap in training camp. But right now, there's no way Brown doesn't fit in the rotation.

The question is whether that would be what's best for our team. There's nothing wrong with Donald Brown. He's still better than Carter and Williams. His performance and production last season was very similar to Ballard's, yet everyone has decided that Ballard is significantly better. Whatever, let's call Brown our #3 back. What's wrong with that?

Why not let him compete through camp, and then settle on your best stable of three backs?

The actual factual of it is that Donald Brown is in the fans' doghouse. People have been talking about cutting Donald Brown for years now, despite the fact that there's a place for him on the roster and he's not making a whole ton of money. Just leave it be and see who rises to the top of the heap in training camp. But right now, there's no way Brown doesn't fit in the rotation.

Yeah, I don't get all of the Brown hate. Our o-line was horrible and Adrian Peterson would have struggled running behind it.

Let's wait to see how this O line comes together and see if we can stay healthy before we get too excited about having a really good run game all the sudden. Not trying to bearer of bad news but being a tough physical run team isn't something that just happens. Its a commitment by all the guys up front and its a mentality that has to be developed and had consistently. Yes we have gotten better up front personnel wise but that gurentees nothing. It all about the mindset and being able to execute. Plus as as much as I hate to bring it up, we know our luck with injuries. We seem to get hit every year with more than just a couple. I've come to almost just expect it. Now I certainly hope the run game comes around and think were capable but we gotta show it first.

i like it for 2M. if we dont run him into the ground like NYG was doing to punnish Wilson, he will be the AWSOME other half to Ballard in the power run game.

can teach ballard better blocking technique. both can pound up the gut. both can catch. the line is vastly improved. we have a lead blocker this season. Add in a speedster when needed/desired and the ball is moving on the ground.

we already know the ball was moving through the air. and with an aditional weapon added that gets a bump...

AFC is on notice!

Not only that we still have another FB on the roster who looks pretty good. I think Grigson will have a tough time letting some of these players go at the finale cut. Plus looking at other players who are cut by other teams all along the way. Is it my imagination or has Grigson worked much harder than the Polian's ever did with the fact that the Polian's never worked the free agent market. Having cap room makes shopping for players a lot easier. It seemed the Polian's always had us up against the wall year after year. 

Do you really believe that Carter, who has been a fumbling machine since entering the league, is a better option than Brown? In this equation ill take Brown who has atleast given me something since hes been in the league. DB has breakaway speed and adds a terrific change of pace that our offense will need once in a while. let Ballard and Bradshaw be the bruisers and have DB slash and dash. Carter looked good in pre-season and in that horrific nightmare loss to the Saints in 2011. Other than that, his contributions have been minimal.

Williams hasn't even proved he can make the team yet, let alone contribute. Counting him as a sure go to guy in case of an injury to Bradshaw seems like a bit of a stretch, IMO.

I like the 1 year deal!!!  Nobody really wanted Bradshaw...presumably the chronic foot problems....lets see what he has to give the blue horseshoe!!  I agree with ya Smurphy!! :colts:  :colts:  :colts:

I mentioned the same thing on Carter....thought Brown would be around (I personally like Carter)

My question to all of our GMs here is why in the heck are you cutting decent/good backs just because you signed Bradshaw?  Why are you not cutting Teddy Williams, Josh Gordy (I would say Vaughn...but I say that all of the time) Davin Meggett, or Rick Schmieg...one of the worst Purdue centers of the last 20 years?  I can add 10-12 more.....

I will answer this...this board hates DB and/Carter.  Why don't we 'dislike' some of the worthless players mentioned....that we KNOW will not survive camp???  Help me understand this haters!!!   :)

I think the number of RBs on the roster dictates that. 9 RBs will never work on the roster. 

Bradshaw

Brown

Ballard

Carter

....proven performers...

...but we didnt sign Bradshaw to play behind anybody. He is the starter...

I don't see either Bradshaw or Ballard the true starter. I think we will see the other teams defense dictate what the Colts do. 

Donald Brown has no business being part of the monster............buttercup

I agree with you that Bradshaw is no doubt the best guy in the rotation if he's healthy. I also think we keep Williams as he brings a totally different element to the game , plus he appears to be an option in the return game. We know Ballard makes the team , so IMO only one of the other 3 guys makes the team. Right....4 Rb's and a FB.