Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts and RB Ahmad Bradshaw agreed to one-year deal.

corgi

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We are going to cut a camp body that few people have ever heard of to stay at 90 but by the time we cut down to 53 one of the better known RBs on our roster is going to go. We are not going to go into the season with Ballard, Bradshaw, Brown, Carter, and Williams. Thats the thing people are really asking here.

Not sure about that....a whole lotta folks think a running back needs to go when a running back is signed....Brown has a target on his back in every thread...Carter just as bad anymore.....I know what you are saying though :)

I cannot get over some thinking Moore is a better talent than Carter.....or Brown....URRRGH...ridiculous.

Love this signing I was really hoping this would get done.  Our Management has in my opinion done a fabulous job since they took over I like the direction our team seems to be headed.  I am very optimistic that we could win the south this year.

Go Colts

Well, I don't think it's a signing we needed, but...

...He's an upgrade over Donald Brown. He signed a deal with a 1.9M cap hit, which is absolutely fantastic. What a deal! That means they can cut Donald Brown, and take in his 1M dead cap hit (compared to his 2.7M cap hit). Essentially, Bradshaw's deal is a 2.9M cap hit (if they cut Brown), and Brown is 2.7M if he stays on the roster. I'd easily pay .2M more for Bradshaw. So, again, the deal was oustanding.

It's going to be a great battle with Ballard for the top spot. They're going to have a great 1-2 punch. 

Well, I don't think it's a signing we needed, but...

...He's an upgrade over Donald Brown. He signed a deal with a 1.9M cap hit, which is absolutely fantastic. What a deal! That means they can cut Donald Brown, and take in his 1M dead cap hit (compared to his 2.7M cap hit). Essentially, Bradshaw's deal is a 2.9M cap hit (if they cut Brown), and Brown is 2.7M if he stays on the roster. I'd easily pay .2M more for Bradshaw. So, again, the deal was oustanding.

It's going to be a great battle with Ballard for the top spot. They're going to have a great 1-2 punch. 

If they cut Brown they can spread his dead cap hit over two years for 500k each instead of 1 mil all this year.

Quick little thing I wrote on him on my site:

The Indianapolis Colts have signed former Giants running back Ahmad Bradshaw to a one year deal worth 2M.

Well, the talks are over, Bradshaw is officially with the Colts. After several days of discussion, the deal is done. Ahmad Bradshaw automatically becomes the top favorite with Vick Ballard to become the starting running back for the team. Both however should have major roles in the offense going forward.

The deal is only one year, in what I assume is a make or break deal. He does extremely well and stays healthy, they could resign him. A bad one (perhaps filled with injuries) and he's all but gone. It's a good deal for the Colts and here's why.

The deal is worth 2M, and his cap hit is 1.91M, which is fantastic considering the running back he is. This means that they could cut Donald Brown, take in his 1M deap cap hit (saving 1.7M) and then if you take Bradshaw's cap hit, it equals 2.91M. I would pay .2M more for Ahmad Bradshaw. The main worry was overpaying the guy considering his injury history, but it's clear the Colts did anything but overpay him. On a side note too, Bradshaw only has a dead cap hit of $250,000 which makes it easy for the Colts to cut him, if he underperforms during training camp.

It will be interesting to see how his health is and how motivated he is. If motivated and healthy, he's a 1000 yard rusher.

To recap, it's a one year 2M dollar deal with a 1.91M cap hit. 

Giants fan here.  You guys are going to love AB.  For those who are saying he's done are completely false.  The guy runs hard EVERY down and is one of the most complete RB's in the NFL.  His last game as a Giant last year he had 16 carries for 107 yards, a TD and averaged 6.7 yards per.  Also had 1 reception for 41 yards.....and that was his last game.  He has a lot more to prove.

Gonna miss the guy...was a true Giant.  Goodluck with #44

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ibm91MZL4og

Lifelong Giants fan, season ticket holder for 30 years...You guys will love Ahmad, he runs angry and is

tough as nails.  Runs hard, always gets the extra yard and is great in identifying the blitz and who he

should block.  Giants rarely used him in passing game but his hands are good not great.

Bradshaw will make the Colts a better team.  His experience will help the younger Colts on and off the 

field.

Just looked it up....   last year's 24th pick got nearly $8 mill for 4 years...

So, Werner's deal will be similar...   and the cap hit will be just under $2 Mill.

Colts are still good....

The overall value is set by the league, but structure is determined between the two parties. David DeCastro's first year cap hit was $1.4m. I figure Werner's will be right around there. But technically, we could do whatever we want with the signing bonus and base salaries, so it's hard to project. But it won't be $4m.

Like you say, Colts are still good.

Quick little thing I wrote on him on my site:

The Indianapolis Colts have signed former Giants running back Ahmad Bradshaw to a one year deal worth 2M.

Well, the talks are over, Bradshaw is officially with the Colts. After several days of discussion, the deal is done. Ahmad Bradshaw automatically becomes the top favorite with Vick Ballard to become the starting running back for the team. Both however should have major roles in the offense going forward.

The deal is only one year, in what I assume is a make or break deal. He does extremely well and stays healthy, they could resign him. A bad one (perhaps filled with injuries) and he's all but gone. It's a good deal for the Colts and here's why.

The deal is worth 2M, and his cap hit is 1.91M, which is fantastic considering the running back he is. This means that they could cut Donald Brown, take in his 1M deap cap hit (saving 1.7M) and then if you take Bradshaw's cap hit, it equals 2.91M. I would pay .2M more for Ahmad Bradshaw. The main worry was overpaying the guy considering his injury history, but it's clear the Colts did anything but overpay him. On a side note too, Bradshaw only has a dead cap hit of $250,000 which makes it easy for the Colts to cut him, if he underperforms during training camp.

It will be interesting to see how his health is and how motivated he is. If motivated and healthy, he's a 1000 yard rusher.

To recap, it's a one year 2M dollar deal with a 1.91M cap hit. 

Nice write up, Andy.  I in no way think motivation will be the issue....the 'kid' has a heart of gold.  Imagine the feeling he will have with the likes of Coach Pagano at the helm.  

I hope he stays healthy....I know he will give 100% of what he has....in fact he will try to run through a brick wall....near you :)  Good luck 44!  :)

The overall value is set by the league, but structure is determined between the two parties. David DeCastro's first year cap hit was $1.4m. I figure Werner's will be right around there. But technically, we could do whatever we want with the signing bonus and base salaries, so it's hard to project. But it won't be $4m.

Like you say, Colts are still good.

Good points.....

I was only speaking broadly...   roughly $8 Mill for 4 years.

And it definitely won't be $4m which you wisely caught from another post.     That was my main reason for chiming in.

And while we're getting a little snug against the cap,  we should still be all in all....

A reminder to some here....    GM's like having roughly 5-10% reserve for moves during the year.   We're inside the 10% mark.

We still have some room...  just not as much.

Good points.....

I was only speaking broadly...   roughly $8 Mill for 4 years.

And it definitely won't be $4m which you wisely caught from another post.     That was my main reason for chiming in.

And while we're getting a little snug against the cap,  we should still be all in all....

A reminder to some here....    GM's like having roughly 5-10% reserve for moves during the year.   We're inside the 10% mark.

We still have some room...  just not as much.

Yup. 

No reason to worry about the cap until really after training camp breaks and we have a 53 man roster. Whatever roster moves are made to get there -- IR, practice squad, releases, etc. -- will change our cap picture. Assuming we don't make any more significant signings, I figure we'll have about $5-7m at the start of the season. We're doing just fine, cap wise.

Finally decided to post, been trolling for a while.

I personally like how Grigs is constantly working, I think it will pay dividends in the long run. And I really like this signing. Granted Bradshaw has an injury history, I think this is a great move. Gives us very solid depth at RB, something we've not had since James/Rhodes in my opinion. I've not been sold on Donald Brown ever since we drafted him, sure he has his moments but not consistently. Now with Ballard and Bradshaw in the backfield, we now will have the weapons we've been needing for years.

We are going to cut a camp body that few people have ever heard of to stay at 90 but by the time we cut down to 53 one of the better known RBs on our roster is going to go. We are not going to go into the season with Ballard, Bradshaw, Brown, Carter, and Williams. Thats the thing people are really asking here.

Maybe if Williams is just a KR!

Really hard not to like this move if you are a Colts fan.

We got him for cheap on a one year deal.  Best case scenario he is the player he was with the Giants and would be our featured back.  Worst case he gets hurt and we have to put him on the IR and are out the money we had to pay him for this year and that's it his deal is up at the end of the year and we part ways. 

I think our stable of backs might end up being like that of the Giants when Bradshaw first got there, Bradshaw being Bradshaw, Ballard being Jacobs, and probably Brown but maybe Carter (although Carter is nothing like Ward) or Williams playing the part of Ward.  I think Williams is going to be a special teamer so I don't think he's going to see a lot of time at running back so that probably means Carter or Brown are playing for their job in the pre-season or maybe both if the other backs do really well (namely Williams at running back) and they struggle.  Having that kind of incentive will probably be good for two guys who have had their fair share of injuries in Brown and Carter.  I'd say Brown is probably the leader going in just because I think Carter has fallen out of favor with the current staff. 

Nice signing by the Colts.  If he can stay reasonably healthy...this will be a big shot in the arm to our run game.  Colts ground attack is now formidable (on paper) and as we know a good running game is a QB's best friend.  This monster just got a little scarier. 

Finally decided to post, been trolling for a while.

I personally like how Grigs is constantly working, I think it will pay dividends in the long run. And I really like this signing. Granted Bradshaw has an injury history, I think this is a great move. Gives us very solid depth at RB, something we've not had since James/Rhodes in my opinion. I've not been sold on Donald Brown ever since we drafted him, sure he has his moments but not consistently. Now with Ballard and Bradshaw in the backfield, we now will have the weapons we've been needing for years.

Great first post.

I am not overwhelmed by Bradshaw but he is definitely a top shelf RB in this league (when healthy).

It is hard to know exactly what to expect out of him and Ballard considering the new offense but I think it is safe to say that running behind an improved Oline will help them both. I like Ballard as is so I just see Bradshaw as a very good addition. And I think his arrival will have more impact on Brown than Ballard....at least in terms of numbers.

Why are you guys so obsessed with cutting Brown? You do realize that would make us one injury away from the debacle in the backfield at the end of last year where it was just Ballard carrying the ENTIRE load.

And please saving 1 million or 500k over this year and the next as these "cap gurus" are saying is neglitable at best. You won't make a giant dent in your team for the year cutting a 1 million dollar player for a bottom feeder RB or undrafted player.

And given Bradshaws injury history, there is a likelihood that could happen. Keep Brown and Ballard with Bradshaw being the starter due to his excellent pass protection and vet exp.

Giants fan here.  You guys are going to love AB.  For those who are saying he's done are completely false.  The guy runs hard EVERY down and is one of the most complete RB's in the NFL.  His last game as a Giant last year he had 16 carries for 107 yards, a TD and averaged 6.7 yards per.  Also had 1 reception for 41 yards.....and that was his last game.  He has a lot more to prove.

Gonna miss the guy...was a true Giant.  Goodluck with #44

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ibm91MZL4og

What is evident upon watching those highlights is the toughness that he runs with.  Hopefully he will bring some of that edge that we have been missing on offense since the days of #32. If we get the ground game going...the sky's the limit for Andrew.   Looking forward to seeing Bradshaw jump spiking in Horseshoes. :D

I feel better about facing Manning with this crew.

No doubt which is one of the reasons why I preferred to face him after we had another offseason to monster build.  Didn't really want any parts of him last year.  It will always be a tough game but we are better equipped now for that showdown...so bring him on!

Unless another FA comes up that we need the money for, I'd be surprised if we cut Brown. We're looking pretty good cap-wise and I'm not sure how many other moves we'll make.

So you thinking it's Carter or Williams that goes ? I'm thinking Brown as Bradshaw does everything Brown does and does it a little better.