Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Ravens Super Bowl ring.

Dustin

Nobody in Indy wants to acknowledge the Baltimore on it. Also, on the 2006 Indy ring, there is one diamond, and the Baltimore Raven's ring there is two diamonds. The 1970 ring is in limbo, like the Super Bowl 5 trophy. There is no third diamond on the  Baltimore one, or a second diamond on the 2006 Indy ring. It is like the Ovaltine Secret Decoder High School style ring, it just sits there  unacknowledged as a non-diamond on a ring.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You've seen the 2000 and 2012 Super Bowl rings. Here is Baltimore's "secret" Super Bowl Ring, the Super Bowl 5 one. I like it because it is a classic style ring, plus it says Baltimore on it. Anything with Baltimore on it , I like. Honestly, I don't really care what the ring looks like, as a fan, I'm only interested in winning.

I see what you mean The Old Crow [picture in post #39]. It does look more tasteful & less gaudy to BOOT's original Liberace point of view. No one would think this ring was too flashy or flamboyant. Excellent example of a respectable ring The Old Crow. JMO.

Rings  sometimes appears more yellow than white gold in pictures pending flash angle & that can change looks , though some are yellow and somewhat white I believe

An interesting point Barry. But if the jeweler knows what he or she is doing in terms of placing & mounting the diamonds & overall terrain layout, camera lighting shouldn't be that much of a factor IMO unless you are taking the shot in a dark room of a photography studio. However, I will acknowledge your valid point that a silver shimmer or tint catches the light better than a gold tint typically does. That is very true.  :thmup:

You've seen the 2000 and 2012 Super Bowl rings. Here is Baltimore's "secret" Super Bowl Ring, the Super Bowl 5 one. I like it because it is a classic style ring, plus it says Baltimore on it. Anything with Baltimore on it , I like. Honestly, I don't really care what the ring looks like, as a fan, I'm only interested in winning.

the rings were better, the players were gladiators, oh how i long for those days of real battle on the field,

I see what you mean The Old Crow [picture in post #39]. It does look more tasteful & less gaudy to BOOT's original Liberace point of view. No one would think this ring was too flashy or flamboyant. Excellent example of a respectable ring The Old Crow. JMO.

I like the 1970 Ring better also. From what I heard, some of the Raven's players helped design the 2012 ring.  To me, it kind of  looks like a pimp's ring on a Dirty Harry movie. LOL  I'm not a big fan of flashy jewelry, probably because I'm from a different generation than the current Raven's are from. I like the plain, old high school looking rings, but I understand how the young guys like the flash. Anyway, it's all fun, and if I was one of those guys, I would be happy with any king of super bowl ring, even if it was a cigar band.

On the old my Colts site  I uploaded photos of  every Superbowl logo & ring , Just not doing all that again

But will say all the old ones look great, !st colt 1 had first logo, then u notice that as teams won  more than 1 SB had to have 2 main stones, or 3 etc, then also decided to add a lomardi trophy too , They never heard of less is more

Just design a damn nice ring , wist till 25 more years, teams with multiple trophies just may not have enough room to have Lombardi trophies and stones on them

U can google ang ring just type in ravens superbowl ring 2013 and will bring up articles with pictures, can do for any year

I like the 1970 Ring better also. From what I heard, some of the Raven's players helped design the 2012 ring.  To me, it kind of  looks like a pimp's ring on a Dirty Harry movie. LOL  I'm not a big fan of flashy jewelry, probably because I'm from a different generation than the current Raven's are from. I like the plain, old high school looking rings, but I understand how the young guys like the flash. Anyway, it's all fun, and if I was one of those guys, I would be happy with any king of super bowl ring, even if it was a cigar band.

Good point! I remember when I was selecting my class ring in high school & my dad gave me a brief lecture on tasteful designs that blend into the background elegantly versus hitting the person over the head like a sledge hammer. There is a difference between simple sophistication & spotlight, look at me, self indulgent arrogance. I agree 100% The Old Crow.  ;)

On the old my Colts site  I uploaded photos of  every Superbowl logo & ring , Just not doing all that again

But will say all the old ones look great, !st colt 1 had first logo, then u notice that as teams won  more than 1 SB had to have 2 main stones, or 3 etc, then also decided to add a lomardi trophy too , They never heard of less is more

Just design a darn nice ring , wist till 25 more years, teams with multiple trophies just may not have enough room to have Lombardi trophies and stones on them

U can google ang ring just type in ravens superbowl ring 2013 and will bring up articles with pictures, can do for any year

I remember your old site on Colts Direct Barry. You did have some amazing NFL stuff on there cards, rings, ticket stubs to games. It was awesome! But given website modifications over the years, I can easily see why you really don't wanna go through the hassle of mounting all those pictures again. It was great stuff Barry!

Clearly, you put considerable work into your NFL treasure trove. I really enjoyed looking at all your collectibles.  :thmup: I'd even tell you that if we weren't Colts friends too Barry & I just stumbled on your online collection by accident too. 

Nobody in Indy wants to acknowledge the Baltimore on it. Also, on the 2006 Indy ring, there is one diamond, and the Baltimore Raven's ring there is two diamonds. The 1970 ring is in limbo, like the Super Bowl 5 trophy. There is no third diamond on the Baltimore one, or a second diamond on the 2006 Indy ring. It is like the Ovaltine Secret Decoder High School style ring, it just sits there unacknowledged as a non-diamond on a ring.

Oh god, here we go again. I pretty sure everyone realizes the Baltimore Colts won SB 5. You need to get a new shtick.

Now if you would realize the city of Baltimore and its fans never owned the NFL franchise known as the Colts.

But I do like the SB 5 ring

Good point! I remember when I was selecting my class ring in high school & my dad gave me a brief lecture on tasteful designs that blend into the background elegantly versus hitting the person over the head like a sledge hammer. There is a difference between simple sophistication & spotlight, look at me, self indulgent arrogance. I agree 100% The Old Crow.  ;)

i have one ring thats truly intense     but designed so well it just doesnt hit u all at once, its an heirloom piece trhat will be handed down   & type of &  quality of stones are stunning  from 2 large over 1.25 carat matching burmese  rubys & multiple diamonds , 4 quarter carat ones, an 0.88 carat and 6 small ones, in fact u would have to look at all sides to see all the stones so is just a beaut from any angle & thus not 1 angle hits u with all

But the only reason i have such a ring   is i was feed up having all the stones sitting in a safe and loose stones u cant insure & was originally  going to make a necklace for a fiancee but I  broke  it off  ( southwest this is the lady who i said made a fake  copy of an engagement ring trying to fool me & rip me off, they are really money hungry near me as most  grew up with way to much  )

also I got the stones for a deal that was to good to be true and really was as I did surgery to remove a rusted hacksaw blade in the joint of an index finger of a jewler that was just about to get infected when i noticed it, otherwise he would of just dismissed it, i insisted on him coming in as new his sister , did in office and dont think i charged him, no insurance

Consequently  I got all the stones at his cost years after he bought it and he bought it in late 1970's or early 80's

No way would i spend retail   and make such a thing, My medical school or bar mitzaah ring with my initials and 1 small tiny diamond would be enough

I havent worn it in 5 years and just got it re-sized up as am going to best friends daughters wedding and will wear it and i assure u it will be unnoticed compared to what others here have

Have a good day, I'm off

I have a pictuire jpg of it on computer but no URL and am not uploading it into a gallery to say hey look what i own & i dont know any other way to show a picture

i have one ring thats truly intense     but designed so well it just doesnt hit u all at once, its an heirloom piece trhat will be handed down   & type of &  quality of stones are stunning  from 2 large over 1.25 carat matching burmese  rubys & multiple diamonds , 4 quarter carat ones, an 0.88 carat and 6 small ones, in fact u would have to look at all sides to see all the stones so is just a beaut from any angle & thus not 1 angle hits u with all

But the only reason i have such a ring   is i was feed up having all the stones sitting in a safe and loose stones u cant insure & was originally  going to make a necklace for a fiancee but I  broke  it off  ( southwest this is the lady who i said made a fake  copy of an engagement ring trying to fool me & rip me off, they are really money hungry near me as most  grew up with way to much  )

also I got the stones for a deal that was to good to be true and really was as I did surgery to remove a rusted hacksaw blade in the joint of an index finger of a jewler that was just about to get infected when i noticed it, otherwise he would of just dismissed it, i insisted on him coming in as new his sister , did in office and dont think i charged him, no insurance

Consequently  I got all the stones at his cost years after he bought it and he bought it in late 1970's or early 80's

No way would i spend retail   and make such a thing, My medical school or bar mitzaah ring with my initials and 1 small tiny diamond would be enough

I havent worn it in 5 years and just got it re-sized up as am going to best friends daughters wedding and will wear it and i assure u it will be unnoticed compared to what others here have

Have a good day, I'm off

I have a pictuire jpg of it on computer but no URL and am not uploading it into a gallery to say hey look what i own & i dont know any other way to show a picture

I don't blame you for celebrating your medical school & bar mitzvah ceremonies with a fancy ring. Both of those benchmarks in your life are remarkable achievements, especially becoming a Dr. & finally finishing your 5 years of residency. That's when you know you're a real Dr. when your residency is over...Woo Hoo! 

At my 1st graduate school, which will remain unnamed, they had a top notch Pre Med & Masters Program for nurses so I have some familiarity with the course work involved even on an elemental level since I was close friends with several nursing students & Dr. wanna bees there.

Organic Chemistry is a tough nut to crack for some people on their way to becoming a Dr. & operating on human cadavers for the 1st time makes some students squeamish sometimes too. My point is this: Surviving medical school & obtaining a diploma is 1 Hades of a rare feat to complete & if you want get some serious bling to commemorate the occasion go for it Barry. You definitely deserve it man!  :hat:

Nobody in Indy wants to acknowledge the Baltimore on it. Also, on the 2006 Indy ring, there is one diamond, and the Baltimore Raven's ring there is two diamonds. The 1970 ring is in limbo, like the Super Bowl 5 trophy. There is no third diamond on the  Baltimore one, or a second diamond on the 2006 Indy ring. It is like the Ovaltine Secret Decoder High School style ring, it just sits there  unacknowledged as a non-diamond on a ring.

OMG, Mr one trick troll pony.

1) It is inconceivable that the Colts first SB victory was more important to you than it was to me, yet I could not care LESS about this "problem" that you've unearthed, and in fact never even noticed the lack of an ultra double secret coded acknowledgement on the Colts second ring.

2) Not every team "counts" their championships on the face of the rings. In my opinion the designs usually suffer when they try. Personally I think that the Colts second ring is one of the nicest ever, while the Colts first ring is average. 

3) The Ravens are one of my favorite teams partially because they play in Baltimore, and I love their logo. They could have had a GREAT ring if they had used a competent designer and avoided input from the people that they apparently obtained input from. However under no circumstances in this universe would it have been even remotely a consideration for them to even consider doing their own ultra double secret coded acknowledgement of the Colts first SB win on one of their rings, because - say it with me, I suspect that you've heard this before - THEY'RE A DIFFERENT FRANCHISE.

Have you nothing else to obsess over? Perhaps you're waiting anxiously for Twinkies to come back? Please expound - that might hold you for a little while.

I don't blame you for celebrating your medical school & bar mitzvah ceremonies with a fancy ring. Both of those benchmarks in your life are remarkable achievements, especially becoming a Dr. & finally finishing your 5 years of residency. That's when you know you're a real Dr. when your residency is over...Woo Hoo! 

At my 2nd graduate school, which will remain unnamed, they had a top notch Pre Med & Masters Program for nurses so I have some familiarity with the course work involved even on an elemental level since I was close friends with several nursing students & Dr. wanna bees there. My point is this: Surviving medical school & obtaining a diploma is 1 Hades of a rare feat to complete & if you want get some serious bling to commemorate the occasion go for it Barry. You definitely deserve it man!  :hat:

The intense ring was done simply do to the break up and me having the stones for what would have been a necklace gift , and in making a ring one can get them insured , 

The Med School & Bar Mitzva  are nothing special fancy wise at all

, Traditional school ring, In NY everyone got in college or High school, but not me, but  Medical school though was different & I got one , nothing fancy just the graduation ring, no diamonds or such, a black onyx center with a medical insignia in its center and school's name , grad  year etc around it

Bar Mitvah, its tradition where I grew up Grandparents bought an initialed ring or a watch & gave u a choice of either, it was  to honor your so called becoming a man  , the diamond was tiny

BTW , a few years back after my great nephew Benjamin S. was born I gave his father, my nephew Brian S. who got a watch like his brother  ( we  3 were all named after my grandfather who died the year before I was born, named Benjamin S  Too )  that initialed ring saying Brian all 3 of us , << me Barry S. << have the same initial's, I am sure Grandma, your great grandma who u knew would be happy to know I gave it to u and for you to pass it eventually to your son from her, not me and who knows there may be another B.S. ( Love Them Initials ) for him to pass it down to yet another generation

as if I give to one nephew i always give to another, no favorites played, i told his brother heres all I got, pick whatever u like, as Brians relatively just married wife was there I told her also to pick something

Hey those kids are my heirs , they will get it anyway

The intense ring was done simply do to the break up and me having the stones for what would have been a necklace gift , and in making a ring one can get them insured , 

The Med School & Bar Mitzva  are nothing special fancy wise at all

, Traditional school ring, In NY everyone got in college or High school, but not me, but  Medical school though was different & I got one , nothing fancy just the graduation ring, no diamonds or such, a black onyx center with a medical insignia in its center and school's name , grad  year etc around it

Bar Mitvah, its tradition where I grew up Grandparents bought an initialed ring or a watch & gave u a choice of either, it was  to honor your so called becoming a man  , the diamond was tiny

BTW , a few years back after my great nephew Benjamin S. was born I gave his father, my nephew Brian S. who got a watch like his brother  ( we  3 were all named after my grandfather who died the year before I was born, named Benjamin S  Too )  that initialed ring saying Brian all 3 of us , << me Barry S. << have the same initial's, I am sure Grandma, your great grandma who u knew would be happy to know I gave it to u and for you to pass it eventually to your son from her, not me and who knows there may be another B.S. ( Love Them Initials ) for him to pass it down to yet another generation

I always liked black onyx as a center too. Good choice on your med school ring. Thanks Barry for sharing the news about the B.S. ring initials too.  :funny:  :lol:  Love that my friend! Cool Bar Mitvah story too BTW...

Perhaps you're waiting anxiously for Twinkies to come back? Please expound - that might hold you for a little while.

I can't speak for The Old Crow MAC, but SW1 is eagerly anticipating their return to my grocery store. haha  

Twinkies are 1 of my primary vices in this world, but then again, if you take all the bad things away what's the point in living right? Sugar, salt, & bad things that taste of so good makes the world go around IMO. No one wants to live forever. Yes, just for the record, SW1 does eat fruits & vegetables too. 

Yup, cops are supposed to really like doughnuts & SW1 has an affinity for Twinkies....Spread the news man! Where's a town crier when you need one? Hear Ye! Hear Ye! Read all about it...

http://www.nbcnews.com/business/twinkies-real-ones-back-store-shelves-july-6C9590050

Although, I will admit that I'm not quite obsessed about Twinkies as actor Woody Harrelson's film character in "Zombieland" was though MAC.  :lol:

Twinkies+Zombieland.jpeg

I always liked black onyx as a center too. Good choice on your med school ring. Thanks Barry for sharing the news about the B.S. ring initials too.  :funny:  :lol:  Love that my friend! Cool Bar Mitvah story too BTW...

was a bad experience in sense that the day of my ceremony , in which u have to study for months a Torah passage and speak  / sing or whatever with weird emphasis at varying points of words etc  at the podium  in front of the entire congregation and i had laryngitis, ( truly sounded  crusty & hoarse, but got threw it ) 

I probably needed a few more Twinkies , or at least a snickers bar , 

NOW SHUTTING COMPUTER , Goodnight

Posted · Hidden by Nadine, June 9, 2013 - discussing moderation
Hidden by Nadine, June 9, 2013 - discussing moderation

Okay, I better get this topic back on track before the moderators start removing my stuff again. Post #56 is still hilarious in my humble opinion even if it gets "modified." Besides, I wanna be fair to Dustin's cool original topic. 

Winning a SB ring is so sweet even if some design flaws didn't turn out the best I guess. If you insure a SB ring, does it's value inflate over time or not? Hmmm...

Yea the Super Bowl loser gets the AFC/NFC ring. You can see Jaworski wearing his on ESPN from the '80 season.

http://www.hoffco-inc.com/sb/rings-conf.html

And THAT one is just terrific. Most of those are nicer than many of the SB rings. In trying to be less impressive they seem to accidentally make them classier and attractive. Funny.

------

So those started of course with the merger, and they apparently had actual "NFL Championship" rings before that. So where's the Colt's 68 ring I wonder?

---

And I see that that website lists those as well, but the Colt's spot is blank!

--

59 as well

And THAT one is just terrific. Most of those are nicer than many of the SB rings. In trying to be less impressive they seem to accidentally make them classier and attractive. Funny.

------

So those started of course with the merger, and they apparently had actual "NFL Championship" rings before that. So where's the Colt's 68 ring I wonder?

---

And I see that that website lists those as well, but the Colt's spot is blank!

--

59 as well

The '68 ring is "missing" I don't know if they were never made. Maybe they just were never released to the public because of the failure many Colts felt that had. Some don't even wear their '70 ring because it's too much of a reminder that they lost 2 years before.

And in '59 a ring wasn't made, it was a pin, as shown above. I've seen many variations, so I do not know which is the actual pin given to the player.

I also do agree, many of the loser rings are nicer than the SB rings.

There is also a pin from '64. Idk if this is just memorabilia, or like a team issued loser pin.

3793780_1_l.jpg

Okay I figured it out. The pins were just season memorabilia.

This is the "ring" the 1959 team got. It's a tie tac...

1959_colts_tie_tac.JPG

I read that as "tic tac" the first time. :haha:

I was going to say, the first pin you posted has "press" on it. I didn't think that was awarded to the players.

Have to assume that it was all less regimented back then. The over-the-top NFL publicity machine obviously wasn't cranked up in the 60's. Rings were probably created when some owner felt like creating them. When they didn't they didn't. Considering that the rings now are worth more than the annual salaries were back then, it's safe to say that it's a whole different world. An owner couldn't stop the rings from being produced if he wanted to.

The '68 ring is "missing" I don't know if they were never made. Maybe they just were never released to the public because of the failure many Colts felt that had. Some don't even wear their '70 ring because it's too much of a reminder that they lost 2 years before.

And in '59 a ring wasn't made, it was a pin, as shown above. I've seen many variations, so I do not know which is the actual pin given to the player.

I also do agree, many of the loser rings are nicer than the SB rings.

There is also a pin from '64. Idk if this is just memorabilia, or like a team issued loser pin.

3793780_1_l.jpg

Wow, I never saw those early rings and pins before. It's a shame about the 1968 ring/pin. The Jets loss ruined a beautiful 13-1 season including a 34 -0 thumping of the Cleveland Browns in the NFL Championship game.

OMG, Mr one trick troll pony.

1) It is inconceivable that the Colts first SB victory was more important to you than it was to me, yet I could not care LESS about this "problem" that you've unearthed, and in fact never even noticed the lack of an ultra double secret coded acknowledgement on the Colts second ring.

2) Not every team "counts" their championships on the face of the rings. In my opinion the designs usually suffer when they try. Personally I think that the Colts second ring is one of the nicest ever, while the Colts first ring is average. 

3) The Ravens are one of my favorite teams partially because they play in Baltimore, and I love their logo. They could have had a GREAT ring if they had used a competent designer and avoided input from the people that they apparently obtained input from. However under no circumstances in this universe would it have been even remotely a consideration for them to even consider doing their own ultra double secret coded acknowledgement of the Colts first SB win on one of their rings, because - say it with me, I suspect that you've heard this before - THEY'RE A DIFFERENT FRANCHISE.

Have you nothing else to obsess over? Perhaps you're waiting anxiously for Twinkies to come back? Please expound - that might hold you for a little while.

All I'm saying is there is a missing diamond somewhere, however I will take a twinkie !

All I'm saying is there is a missing diamond somewhere, however I will take a twinkie !

I actually prefer the way the Colts have their rings done. And if it so happens the new era wins a Super Bowl start with one trophy. Then if they win two put two trophies on their rings, and so one with each number they win. Then start over with each era.

Also I love the old sports stuff. Looking at banners, pins, rings, etc...  Very, very cool to look at.

I just wish we were arguing about the design of our ring right now.......

Consider it practice.

Just don't slap a Colt head on our upcoming SB ring & give it some bizarre, satanic, ruby pink eye condition BHC & MAC that looks like a veterinarian needs to treat it for severe illness or something. Thanks.

I just wish we were arguing about the design of our ring right now.......

I won't lie BHC. Your statement made me roar outloud with laughter, but at least we can ponder what an INDY SB ring should/might look like the Jags, Browns, & Raiders can't do that for several years now. Does Jostens/Tiffany's make a ring for chronic under achievers in professional football? If so, what would it look like? Can you put a paper bag over an entire ring as the main design?  haha  Sorry, that was kinda mean wasn't it? My bad. "If the shoe fits, wear it?" Okay, I'll stop now... 

Yes, I know the Colts are very fortunate. Usually 1 franchise HOF QB doesn't get replaced with another potential QB replica. I know that. We could have easily been in the football basement for years after releasing Manning. 

I bet the 2012 AFC South runner up rings are sweet

The also ran ring series...AKA Can't Seal The Deal Collection...Choke For short...When MAD TV was still funny within their 1st 4-5 years on the air, they would kill with a comedy skit like this in the same vein of "lowered expectations dating videos" for undesirables etc. 

The also ran ring series...AKA Can't Seal The Deal Collection...Choke For short...When MAD TV was still funny within their 1st 4-5 years on the air, they would kill with a comedy skit like this in the same vein of "lowered expectations dating videos" for undesirables etc. 

I would so have a field day writing the NFL Can't Seal The Deal ring collection...I would start out with Dallas post 1995/1996...The most overhyped franchise of primadonna players in the NFL...Next, I would discuss the irony of Cleveland having the Hall of Fame in their very city & not crossing the SB finish line themselves, but they did play in 10 consecutive league championship games from 1946 through 1955. During that stretch, they won four titles as a member of the All-America Football Conference from 1946 through 1949, and three as a member of the NFL (1950, 1954, 1955). They would go on to win one more NFL title in 1964, two years before the Super Bowl began...

Okay, since I don't wanna be too negative to Cowboys or Browns fans, I will end this line of discussion now. Plus, as much as I respect Jim Kelly & the Buffalo Bills historic franchise, I couldn't easily criticize this 1990 powerhouse team either.

I read that as "tic tac" the first time. : haha:

I was going to say, the first pin you posted has "press" on it. I didn't think that was awarded to the players.

Have to assume that it was all less regimented back then. The over-the-top NFL publicity machine obviously wasn't cranked up in the 60's. Rings were probably created when some owner felt like creating them. When they didn't they didn't. Considering that the rings now are worth more than the annual salaries were back then, it's safe to say that it's a whole different world. An owner couldn't stop the rings from being produced if he wanted to.

I actually read "tic tac" first, and thought, "what the heck is a tic tac." And I agree it could just be a case of not being a set in stone ceremony to give rings.

That page so looks like a Jostens pamphlet from my high school days FX!  :D

http://www.jostens.com/rings/class_rings_lp_hs.html

haha Jostens is responsible for most of the rings, and I believe they made ours from Super Bowl V. I can't remember who made out XLI ring.