Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Coach Power Rankings

illdubb

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There isn't a big enough sample size to regard Pagano as a good/bad Head Coach. Yes, he is a great emotional leader, however his flakiness when talking to the media concerns me sometimes... although this could well be intentional.

Let's let him get a season under his belt before we start our praise giving.

I am personally optimistic and believe he will do well, but only time will tell.

1. Pagano is probably low because of his illness.  He wasn't around the team as much so we weren't able to see exactly how much of an effect he had.  He is more of an unknown, which is why he is near the bottom of the list with other unknown head coaching candidates like Gus Bradley and Chudzi.  They might be great, they might flop.  We simply don't know

2. Jason Garrett and Jim Schwartz are WAY too high

3. Rex gets the benefit of the doubt because he is an incredible schemer and can draw up Xs and Os like none other.  But if he has another bad season in New York (which seems very likely), he will be much lower on the list and likely out of a head coaching job

4. I don't like Pete Carroll, but he has built up a solid team in Seattle.  However, all of those PEDs infractions by his players do raise a few questions

Just my thoughts

How in the world is Andy Reid ranked #10? His Eagles fell apart last season getting him fired & he hasn't done anything in KC yet. Sean Payton #5? Are you bleeping kidding me?! He wasn't even employed in the NFL last year? LOL!  :facepalm: Ridiculous...

The Ravens win the SB & John Harbaugh is ranked #3? Crazy...

Jason Garrett shouldn't even be coaching in the NFL. If Bill Callahan is calling offensive plays, what the bleep is Jason Garrett being paid for? Given how much I dislike Dallas, I should just enjoy the train wreck right? 

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000209080/article/bill-callahan-not-jason-garrett-to-call-cowboys-plays

Texans HC Gary Kubiak should be much higher. Back to back AFC South Division titles demands that. I'd put him at Andy Reid's spot #10 actually. 

how about denvers Fox at 12, thats laughable to me he so conservative

Denver should take Jim Harbaugh's spot at #3. Clearly, this reporter doesn't believe in the old adage: "You are what your record says you are" Barry.  :lol: What is he basing his rankings on popularity with bookies? 

I have a ton of respect for Mike Tomlin, but there's no way he's #7 after missing the Playoffs to the Bengals. I amend my previous statement. Gary Kubiack & the Texans should be in the #7 spot. The AFC North is now between the Ravens & the Bengals in recent seasons.  

21isSuperman is exactly right. The PED scandal ticks me off, but Seattle's defense & CBs puts Pete Carroll much higher maybe #10. Pete totally rebuilt that team's defense & he must be credited with that fact. 

Okay, I will shut up now...

Jason Garrett shouldn't even be coaching in the NFL. If Bill Callahan is calling offensive plays, what the bleep is Jason Garrett being paid for? Given how much I dislike Dallas, I should just enjoy the train wreck right? 

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000209080/article/bill-callahan-not-jason-garrett-to-call-cowboys-plays

Texans HC Gary Kubiak should be much higher. Back to back AFC South Division titles demands that. I'd put him at Andy Reid's spot #10 actually. 

Crazy!!!! Kubiak is awful. he under achieves with a super talented team, and Ried has been to the super bowl and multiple NFC championships, all Kubiak did was beat the Bengals in the 1st round...

What exactly are the rankings based on anyway and why in the name all things logical would you put Jim Harbaugh ahead of:

John Harbaugh

Mike Shanahan

Mike Tomlin

Tom Coughlin

Why not? In two years he has gone 27-9, gone to the NFC championship with a QB who was considered a bust, and came within a few yards of winning the SB with a QB who had only started a handful of games. The only one on your list I would even consider taking over Jim Harbaugh is his brother.

Why not? In two years he has gone 27-9, gone to the NFC championship with a QB who was considered a bust, and came within a few yards of winning the SB with a QB who had only started a handful of games. The only one on your list I would even consider taking over Jim Harbaugh is his brother.

you'd take a coach 1st over 3 other coaches that have a combined 5 SB wins?

Tomlin 2

Coughlin 1

Shanahan 2

I like Harbaugh alot but I want to see him win 1 at least before I take him over any of those coaches

Tomlin 2

Coughlin 1

Shanahan 2

I like Harbaugh alot but I want to see him win 1 at least before I take him over any of those coaches

Tomlin-1

Coughlin-2

Tomlin 2

Coughlin 1

Shanahan 2

Yes, I would.

Tomlin 2

Coughlin 1

Shanahan 2

Shanahan hasn't won a Super Bowl in a decade and a half. I'm done giving him rating credit for those rings. Since Elway retired, Shanahan is a mediocre 112-96, 1-5 in the playoffs. Not saying he's not a good coach, but I'm not giving him credit for Super Bowls from a previous generation.

Coughlin has two, Tomlin has one; that might have been addressed already.

Either way, I'd take Jim Harbaugh over both of them at this point if I had to choose a coach for my team. Tomlin got a nice deal with the Steelers, and while he's done a good job, he's also overseen some substandard seasons. Has a great quarterback and a veteran staff. 

Coughlin seems to lose his team every three years, but he's also been able to right the ship. Another really good coach, but again, a really good quarterback, veteran staff, and some lackluster seasons.

Harbaugh has only been at it for two years, so maybe this is premature, but he took over a team that had been floundering, that didn't have a quarterback or an identity, and they've won 24 games, 3 playoff games, and made a Super Bowl appearance. Speaking of the Super Bowl, his team got down early, and then made adjustments to get back in the game (the blackout had an impact, but I don't believe that it only benefited the Niners and only hurt the Ravens). That's good coaching. His team would run through a wall for him. He's very hands-on, very involved in the details of the team and the gameplan, not just an overseer. Harbaugh is one of the most impressive coaches in the NFL, in my opinion.

You could probably say some of the same about both Tomlin and Coughlin, but Harbaugh would be my choice out of the three, for sure. 

Crazy!!!! Kubiak is awful. he under achieves with a super talented team, and Ried has been to the super bowl and multiple NFC championships, all Kubiak did was beat the Bengals in the 1st round...

And Reid couldn't get the Eagle "dream team" to the playoffs if I'm not mistaken while Kubiak has come a ST mishap away from the AFC Championship. I'm not saying I would necessarily put him ahead of Reid but Kubiak is a darn good coach.

And Reid couldn't get the Eagle "dream team" to the playoffs if I'm not mistaken while Kubiak has come a ST mishap away from the AFC Championship. I'm not saying I would necessarily put him ahead of Reid but Kubiak is a darn good coach.

Kubiak is awful and your team will never win a championship if he keeps deciding to run draw plays on 3rd and 8.

Tomlin 2

Coughlin 1

Shanahan 2

I think I'd take Harbaugh over those guys. He knows how to inspire a team and is a great coach.

Kubiak is awful and your team will never win a championship if he keeps deciding to run draw plays on 3rd and 8.

Lol you name one bad playcall and say he is horrible. Always downplaying the Texans. Bet he'll coach a championship team before a lot of these other coaches. The pieces are here and the time is now.

Lol you name one bad playcall and say he is horrible. Always downplaying the Texans. Bet he'll coach a championship team before a lot of these other coaches. The pieces are here and the time is now.

Not just one play. He calls plays like he's reading off of a card. 

First down- Run, Second Down- Run

Did you get a first down? 

If yes: Run

If no: Pass

3rd and long? Better run a draw.

Wash. Rinse. Repeat.

I could basically call out the plays before they happened when we played you guys. I mean, you have a good O-line, a solid QB, arguably the best WR in the league and a top 5 receiving TE. Maybe it would be a better idea if you threw the ball a little more instead of waiting until you're in a 10 point hole?

jshipp23, on 04 Jun 2013 - 8:43 PM, said:

Until Chuck Pagano wins an AFC Division title, Kubiack is anything, but awful. Tell me Jshipp23, what division banner or hardware have the Colts won exactly? You have to give Kubiak credit sir. It's not crazy. It's reality.

If I'm not mistaken, we also got knocked out of the Playoffs too in the 1st round, did we not? Give Coach Kubiak some props...

Not just one play. He calls plays like he's reading off of a card.

First down- Run, Second Down- Run

Did you get a first down?

If yes: Run

If no: Pass

3rd and long? Better run a draw.

Wash. Rinse. Repeat.

I could basically call out the plays before they happened when we played you guys. I mean, you have a good O-line, a solid QB, arguably the best WR in the league and a top 5 receiving TE. Maybe it would be a better idea if you threw the ball a little more instead of waiting until you're in a 10 point hole?

Ay ay ay. We run to set up the pass. How predictable would it be if we ran on first and second down, then ran on third every single time? Or if we ran on first, threw on second, and ran again on third? All we had was AJ this year, he was our only real threat as OD did not seem to play at the level we know he can. Back to back division titles after 8 years of mediocrity...I'll take it.

Until Chuck Pagano wins an AFC Division title, Kubiack is anything, but awful. Tell me Jshipp23, what division banner or hardware have the Colts won exactly? You have to give Kubiak credit sir. It's not crazy. It's reality.

If I'm not mistaken, we also got knocked out of the Playoffs too in the 1st round, did we not? Give Coach Kubiak some props...

If you're measuring his success against a team that had the #1 overall pick a season ago then yeah he's pretty good.

But he's also 2 games above .500 and barely managed to win the division over a team coming off of a 2-14 season.

Ay ay ay. We run to set up the pass. How predictable would it be if we ran on first and second down, then ran on third every single time? Or if we ran on first, threw on second, and ran again on third? All we had was AJ this year, he was our only real threat as OD did not seem to play at the level we know he can. Back to back division titles after 8 years of mediocrity...I'll take it.

I understand using the run to set up the pass, but at some point it just get's ridiculous.

I mean you guys had basically a 1:1 Pass/Rush ratio. IMO A team with offensive weapons like AJ and Owen Daniels (and that O-line) should be throwing a lot more than it's running. Especially when they're not running efficiently. 

If you're measuring his success against a team that had the #1 overall pick a season ago then yeah he's pretty good.

But he's also 2 games above .500 and barely managed to win the division over a team coming off of a 2-14 season.

Wait so was this Colt team good or not? When discussions like this come up everyone wants to act like the Colts were some little decrepit team that beat an iron giant but in other discussions it is about how good you guys were and how much better you'll be next season. Which is it?

Wait so was this Colt team good or not? When discussions like this come up everyone wants to act like the Colts were some little decrepit team that beat an iron giant but in other discussions it is about how good you guys were and how much better you'll be next season. Which is it?

Oh no we terribly overachieved last season. We should have been 7-9, 8-8 at the most.