Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Anyone Else Find It Interesting...

GoColts8818

That we moved Brackett to the IR and not Simms? When the injuries were first reported I thought it came out like Simms had the more serious of the two injuries. I know some people were questioning us sending Brackett to the IR over Manning and when I saw Simms listed on the injury report today I thought hmm I find it more odd we sent Brackett to the IR over Simms. Maybe I missed something on Brackett's injury since it came out that he was on the IR and he had to go there like needing surgery or something but if not I find that odd. Maybe the Colts are ready to let Angerer be the MLB of the team and feel like they are going to need Simms help at OLB before the season is over.

I wouldn't be surprised if we "Old Yellar'd" Brackett instead of outright benching him.

Polian was extremely high on the way the LB's played earlier this week, and I don't think Brackett's injury was bad enough that it ended his season, though it's hard to say.

Either way, I doubt Brackett is back next year.

i like pat over bracket anyway

I agree. Always thought Brackett was a little overrated. I don't think Brackett will be back next yr.. His contract is too much for no more than he brings espesially since Angerer is improving all the time IMO is already better than Brackett.

Makes me a little sad! The man has busted his * for this team! While I am fine with Angerer, I think he is a great replacement, I think we're forgetting how smart Brackett is. How he makes his teammates better when he's on the field. There's a reason he's defensive captain, people (or was, how does that work?) Before we throw him to the wind, we might want to ask ourselves if Angerer is that kind of leader, and how many defensive leaders do we have left on this team?

I thought I heard somewhere that Simms is about ready to come back??

I don't know what Sims' prognosis is, but he hasn't practiced at all since the opener. I hope he's making fast progress because the corps is thin. He at least has experience in coverage that our primary three guys don't.

I liked the way Angerer played. He looked like he had a mean streak in him and he finished tackles. I thought at anytime, he would be assessed a penalty for trying to drive the person he was tackling into the ground. I liked that and haven't seen that aggression since Morris, yes Morris, at the LB spot. I thought that Session hit hard but didn't tackle to the ground, he tried to knock you out. Angerer seems to hit you solid and then tries to drive you into the ground. If he can improve his pass defense just a little, he will be the new team capt'n, might become that anyways.

I agree with those who feel something isn't right on the quick IR of Brackett and that he most likely will not be back next year.

I liked the way Angerer played. He looked like he had a mean streak in him and he finished tackles. I thought at anytime, he would be assessed a penalty for trying to drive the person he was tackling into the ground. I liked that and haven't seen that aggression since Morris, yes Morris, at the LB spot. I thought that Session hit hard but didn't tackle to the ground, he tried to knock you out. Angerer seems to hit you solid and then tries to drive you into the ground. If he can improve his pass defense just a little, he will be the new team capt'n, might become that anyways.

I agree with those who feel something isn't right on the quick IR of Brackett and that he most likely will not be back next year.

An many ways he's a better tackler than Brackett, but he just doesn't seem to have Brackett's bawl hawk instincts. Doesn't inspire the people around him the way Brackett does. not sure if that's a role he can step into. It seems like either you got it or you don't.

An many ways he's a better tackler than Brackett, but he just doesn't seem to have Brackett's bawl hawk instincts. Doesn't inspire the people around him the way Brackett does. not sure if that's a role he can step into. It seems like either you got it or you don't.

Exactly. Brackett was a very good linebacker for a cover-2 system for that very reason. That's why I cringe when I see people say Angerer is so much better. They are different types of linebackers. Clearly Angerer is a run stopper while Brackett was a pass stopper. You are already seeing teams attack the middle more and attacking Angerer's lack of pass coverage skills. Don't get me wrong I love Angerer and any dude who can get 21 tackles in a game you need to have on the field. I am more or less just cringing at how quickly fans are tossing Brackett aside and acting like he was not good at all. Brackett was a very good player for us for a lot of years. I hope Angerer lasts as long as Brackett has, I'll be pulling for it for sure.

Exactly. Brackett was a very good linebacker for a cover-2 system for that very reason. That's why I cringe when I see people say Angerer is so much better. They are different types of linebackers. Clearly Angerer is a run stopper while Brackett was a pass stopper. You are already seeing teams attack the middle more and attacking Angerer's lack of pass coverage skills. Don't get me wrong I love Angerer and any dude who can get 21 tackles in a game you need to have on the field. I am more or less just cringing at how quickly fans are tossing Brackett aside and acting like he was not good at all. Brackett was a very good player for us for a lot of years. I hope Angerer lasts as long as Brackett has, I'll be pulling for it for sure.

Yeah, I hope against hope we can keep Brackett and use him in obvious passing situations. And rotate them to use them in a way that they complement each other. I'm with you on how fans are already ditching Brackett when he's busted his butt for our team. How many games has he ended for the other team hawking the ball right exactly when we needed him to? I don't see Angerer doing that. I think he's a beast against the run. But the pass? you're right on that one.

Brackett was a very good LB for the Tampa 2. I think Angerer is a very good LB for the cover 2. If you want Angerer to play deep zone coverage against the better TE's and WR's then yeah he's going to struggle...but most LB's would. Brackett overachieved because he's one of the few LBs who can do that rather effectively. However a simple solution to that would be to stop putting Angerer, or the MLB in general, in deep zone coverage.

I agree that Brackett was a leader and the defensive captain and he showed great instincts. However he did not have the physical tools to back that up. He kind of reminds me of Sean Salisbury. Salisbury is one of my favorite analysts. He is incredibly intelligent and knows the game as well as anyone. However, he didn't have the ability to put his knowledge to good use on the field so he was never anything more than a backup. Brackett could make a very good or even great coach in teaching LBs how to be more effective in coverage, but I would prefer someone else teach them how to tackle.

I also disagree with the assessment that the defense plays better with Brackett on the field. IMO the defense looked more motivated and pumped up in the Cleveland and Pitt games than the Houston game.

If Brackett is willing to restructure his contract and take a pay cut then bring him back in a reduced role as depth and for obvious passing downs. I highly doubt that will happen though. I think putting him on IR could have been a way for him to save face and not have to face media speculation that it's time to pass the torch to Angerer. I would not be the least bit surprised if Gary announced retirement before the start of next year.

Brackett was a very good LB for the Tampa 2. I think Angerer is a very good LB for the cover 2. If you want Angerer to play deep zone coverage against the better TE's and WR's then yeah he's going to struggle...but most LB's would. Brackett overachieved because he's one of the few LBs who can do that rather effectively. However a simple solution to that would be to stop putting Angerer, or the MLB in general, in deep zone coverage.

I agree that Brackett was a leader and the defensive captain and he showed great instincts. However he did not have the physical tools to back that up. He kind of reminds me of Sean Salisbury. Salisbury is one of my favorite analysts. He is incredibly intelligent and knows the game as well as anyone. However, he didn't have the ability to put his knowledge to good use on the field so he was never anything more than a backup. Brackett could make a very good or even great coach in teaching LBs how to be more effective in coverage, but I would prefer someone else teach them how to tackle.

I also disagree with the assessment that the defense plays better with Brackett on the field. IMO the defense looked more motivated and pumped up in the Cleveland and Pitt games than the Houston game.

If Brackett is willing to restructure his contract and take a pay cut then bring him back in a reduced role as depth and for obvious passing downs. I highly doubt that will happen though. I think putting him on IR could have been a way for him to save face and not have to face media speculation that it's time to pass the torch to Angerer. I would not be the least bit surprised if Gary announced retirement before the start of next year.

Absolutely agree Jason. I think a huge part of the fans thinking is that they really like a player for whatever reason and do not see the things they may not be very good at. I like Brackett too, but IMO Angerer is better, younger, and cheaper which means there is no reason to keep Brackett around. Fans can't see it from a business standpoint and the better business decision would be to let him go.

Absolutely agree Jason. I think a huge part of the fans thinking is that they really like a player for whatever reason and do not see the things they may not be very good at. I like Brackett too, but IMO Angerer is better, younger, and cheaper which means there is no reason to keep Brackett around. Fans can't see it from a business standpoint and the better business decision would be to let him go.

From a business standpoint why wouldn't it be a good idea to keep two good players if you can afford it rather than just one? I'm not saying we should pay Brackett big bucks to stay but they both have complimentary skills Run vs Pass and if we CAN restructure his contract the ideal would be to keep them both. Not ditch Bracket because Angerer can stop the run. Or ditch Angerer b/c he can't do crap against the pass. Not tracking your logic....

From a business standpoint why wouldn't it be a good idea to keep two good players if you can afford it rather than just one? I'm not saying we should pay Brackett big bucks to stay but they both have complimentary skills Run vs Pass and if we CAN restructure his contract the ideal would be to keep them both. Not ditch Bracket because Angerer can stop the run. Or ditch Angerer b/c he can't do crap against the pass. Not tracking your logic....

Well, for one thing they both play the same posistion. Sure Angerer can play OLB but his natuaral posistion is MLB and is much better in that posistion. The Idea that Angerer can't play the pass is an absolute myth that people have conjured up. In the Texans game Angerer was covering the TE and Schaub made a long pass down the middle of the field in the endzone and completed the pass, but Angerer could not have been covering the guy any better if he was the greatest Lber of all time. Schaub made an absolute perfect pass that only his TE could catch. Point is, this forum is very popular for it, 1 person makes a statement about something(whether true or not) and others just fall right in line and start repeating it as if its fact. Angerer can cover just fine and is way better in run defense.

Yea at first i found it odd myself, but im not the least bit worried about that move im actually the opposite... if Adrian Peterson says Sims is one of the LB's he hates playing against then that tells you something... Hopefully he will be back next week, cause it sounds like he is making progress.

Honestly, I think this had more to do with Gary and his wife welcoming a second child into their home than anything else. I'm no physician but I'm guessing that he opted to have a procedure that he could have chosen to hold off on, thus ending his season and putting him at home with his family. Let's face it; this is going to be a very tough season for our Colts. I'm willing to bet that we'll see a lot more "season-ending injuries" to our top tier players before it's all said and done. Gary has nothing to prove to any of us. He has consistently played above his supposed ceiling and is, clearly, the best linebacker on the roster. Why risk further injury in what is sure to be a losing effort?

Angerer will be a good player but he's not at Gary's level just yet. It's really apples and oranges with these two. Angerer, as stated by many others, is great at stopping the run but shaky in pass support. Gary has lost a step but still makes a ton of plays in run support. Remember the game he had a season or two ago against the Ravens? He was all over Ray Rice all day! He can make plays in the run game; he's just better at defending the pass.

By the way, check out this article. Gary and his wife did an interview with a local magazine called Indy's Child. My wife saved it for me as she knows I'm a big Brackett fan. Met the guy at a Gary's Locker event a couple of years ago (I love living and working in Indy). Great guy! I've been hooked ever since.

Honestly, I think this had more to do with Gary and his wife welcoming a second child into their home than anything else. I'm no physician but I'm guessing that he opted to have a procedure that he could have chosen to hold off on, thus ending his season and putting him at home with his family. Let's face it; this is going to be a very tough season for our Colts. I'm willing to bet that we'll see a lot more "season-ending injuries" to our top tier players before it's all said and done. Gary has nothing to prove to any of us. He has consistently played above his supposed ceiling and is, clearly, the best linebacker on the roster. Why risk further injury in what is sure to be a losing effort?

Angerer will be a good player but he's not at Gary's level just yet. It's really apples and oranges with these two. Angerer, as stated by many others, is great at stopping the run but shaky in pass support. Gary has lost a step but still makes a ton of plays in run support. Remember the game he had a season or two ago against the Ravens? He was all over Ray Rice all day! He can make plays in the run game; he's just better at defending the pass.

By the way, check out this article. Gary and his wife did an interview with a local magazine called Indy's Child. My wife saved it for me as she knows I'm a big Brackett fan. Met the guy at a Gary's Locker event a couple of years ago (I love living and working in Indy). Great guy! I've been hooked ever since.

Ok personally, if that really is the case then I hope they straight out cut him. Players have kids all the time through the regular season, and just because this is going to be a difficult year does not mean that players under contract get to take a year vacation to welcome a new child into their home. I'm not at all happy the guy was injured but I am happy he will not see the field this year because I think he is way on the decline and he was never that great to begin with.

However all that said, I highly doubt you are right.

Ok personally, if that really is the case then I hope they straight out cut him. Players have kids all the time through the regular season, and just because this is going to be a difficult year does not mean that players under contract get to take a year vacation to welcome a new child into their home. I'm not at all happy the guy was injured but I am happy he will not see the field this year because I think he is way on the decline and he was never that great to begin with.

However all that said, I highly doubt you are right.

You highly doubt that he opted for a procedure that could have waited in order to be with his family and avoid further injury in what is proving to be a "rebuilding/restructuring/remodeling/whatever" season? Okay! I never said he didn't need a procedure (or that he's even had one for that matter). I'm just guessing that, if we actually had a chance to win some games this year, he would have waited. I'm also not suggestng that Gary made this decision in a vacuum. I would be willing to bet that, had the Colts staff felt that we had a real chance and that Gary would play a pivotal role, he would be playing. Let's not be naive. This is, first and foremost, a business. Gary has to look after his best interests, as do the Colts. Causing further injury to Gary does neither party any good.

Just my opinion and I could certainly be wrong...

You highly doubt that he opted for a procedure that could have waited in order to be with his family and avoid further injury in what is proving to be a "rebuilding/restructuring/remodeling/whatever" season? Okay! I never said he didn't need a procedure (or that he's even had one for that matter). I'm just guessing that, if we actually had a chance to win some games this year, he would have waited. I'm also not suggestng that Gary made this decision in a vacuum. I would be willing to bet that, had the Colts staff felt that we had a real chance and that Gary would play a pivotal role, he would be playing. Let's not be naive. This is, first and foremost, a business. Gary has to look after his best interests, as do the Colts. Causing further injury to Gary does neither party any good.

Just my opinion and I could certainly be wrong...

Yes it is a business, and the Colts will get 0 return on the money they're paying Brackett with him on IR. Also, regardless of how the season looks right now, the season is not officially a wash until the Colts are completely eliminated from the playoffs. I never said he wasn't more seriously injured than any of us fans know and I never suggested he did not need surgery. I merely suggested that if the reason he opted to have the surgery now was so that he could be at home now that they have a new child then he should be cut. Just my opinion.

I honestly don't expect Brackett to see the field again. I think he knows his time is up and that the torch has been passed. This is my hope anyway. Just because he's been our best LB doesn't mean he was ever really a good one. Again, just my opinion. I'm sure the guy is well respected and deservedly so for the type of guy he is (which also leads me to believe he wouldn't tank the season to be at home for their new child) but he leaves a lot to be desired as an NFL MLB.

With Bracket now on IR, this gives Angerer 13 more games to improve on his pass coverage. I think the front office will make their decisions based on their assessment of his improvement. If Angerer is still struggling in pasls coverage over the middle, then I think the front office will try and restructure Bracket's contract and use him on 3rd and longs etc...

This might also tie in to another thread that was just started. It was saying how we were the most injured defense in the league since 06. This could be another indicator that we are trying to get bigger and stronger on the defense and, consequently, try and eliminate a lot of our injuries. With that logic, it doesn't make too much sense for the Colts to try and over-pay for someone who has been out for almost 2 consecutive seasons. I think the Colts learned from the whole Bob Sanders situation on that one. I'm just hoping Angerer will become a complete linebacker, so we won't have to worry about replacing him on passing situations. I would love to see him get some picks here and there too!

Yes it is a business, and the Colts will get 0 return on the money they're paying Brackett with him on IR. Also, regardless of how the season looks right now, the season is not officially a wash until the Colts are completely eliminated from the playoffs. I never said he wasn't more seriously injured than any of us fans know and I never suggested he did not need surgery. I merely suggested that if the reason he opted to have the surgery now was so that he could be at home now that they have a new child then he should be cut. Just my opinion.

I honestly don't expect Brackett to see the field again. I think he knows his time is up and that the torch has been passed. This is my hope anyway. Just because he's been our best LB doesn't mean he was ever really a good one. Again, just my opinion. I'm sure the guy is well respected and deservedly so for the type of guy he is (which also leads me to believe he wouldn't tank the season to be at home for their new child) but he leaves a lot to be desired as an NFL MLB.

My bad Jason. I didn't articulate my point clearly. I don't really believe he's tanking a season just so he can sit on his can and babysit. I was merely implying that his growing family, coupled with the abissmal outlook of this season may have played a part in helping him decide whether or not to have a season-ending medical procedure (if he does, indeed, require such a procedure). Personally, I wouldn't think any less of him for getting an early start on rehabbing and prepping for next season. If the injury is serious enough to warrant a procedure, why wait? I know the season isn't over but I don't think any of us honestly believe that this team is capable of making a playoff run. If he can spend his off time improving, perhaps his last season in the Horseshoe will be his best!

All speculation and I certainly respect (and see) your opinion.

With Bracket now on IR, this gives Angerer 13 more games to improve on his pass coverage. I think the front office will make their decisions based on their assessment of his improvement. If Angerer is still struggling in pasls coverage over the middle, then I think the front office will try and restructure Bracket's contract and use him on 3rd and longs etc...

This might also tie in to another thread that was just started. It was saying how we were the most injured defense in the league since 06. This could be another indicator that we are trying to get bigger and stronger on the defense and, consequently, try and eliminate a lot of our injuries. With that logic, it doesn't make too much sense for the Colts to try and over-pay for someone who has been out for almost 2 consecutive seasons. I think the Colts learned from the whole Bob Sanders situation on that one. I'm just hoping Angerer will become a complete linebacker, so we won't have to worry about replacing him on passing situations. I would love to see him get some picks here and there too!

Are you referring to Brackett when you say "With that logic, it doesn't make too much sense for the Colts to try and over-pay for someone who has been out for almost 2 consecutive seasons."? If so, I don't get it. He started and played in 12 games last season. That's 3/4 of a season. Am I missing something?

My bad Jason. I didn't articulate my point clearly. I don't really believe he's tanking a season just so he can sit on his can and babysit. I was merely implying that his growing family, coupled with the abissmal outlook of this season may have played a part in helping him decide whether or not to have a season-ending medical procedure (if he does, indeed, require such a procedure). Personally, I wouldn't think any less of him for getting an early start on rehabbing and prepping for next season. If the injury is serious enough to warrant a procedure, why wait? I know the season isn't over but I don't think any of us honestly believe that this team is capable of making a playoff run. If he can spend his off time improving, perhaps his last season in the Horseshoe will be his best!

All speculation and I certainly respect (and see) your opinion.

I also don't think I articulated very well in my first reply to you as well. Of course I wouldn't want anyone to risk further injury and if the injury was severe enough that he was going to require the surgery regardless then yes, by all means have it now to begin the rehab process sooner. What I had meant to simply say is that having the second child should have no bearing on the decision and that's what I thought you were saying initially. My apologies for the misunderstanding. I also tend to get a little worked up over things like this...I fully believe that every professional athlete is grossly overpaid (another discussion for another time and another thread lol) so the thought of one "tanking" a season to spend time with his family pushed a button. I should have taken my own advice and asked you for clarification of what you meant before reacting first. I apologize for that as well. :)

I also don't think I articulated very well in my first reply to you as well. Of course I wouldn't want anyone to risk further injury and if the injury was severe enough that he was going to require the surgery regardless then yes, by all means have it now to begin the rehab process sooner. What I had meant to simply say is that having the second child should have no bearing on the decision and that's what I thought you were saying initially. My apologies for the misunderstanding. I also tend to get a little worked up over things like this...I fully believe that every professional athlete is grossly overpaid (another discussion for another time and another thread lol) so the thought of one "tanking" a season to spend time with his family pushed a button. I should have taken my own advice and asked you for clarification of what you meant before reacting first. I apologize for that as well. :)

fanatic

n

1. a person whose enthusiasm or zeal for something is extreme or beyond normal limits

2. informal a person devoted to a particular hobby or pastime; fan: a jazz fanatic

I understand man. I understand!