Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Hope luck has a sophmore season like marino

Stephen

Like I said, Reggie is borderline. The numbers receivers are putting up nowadays is going to make it hard. Look how long guys like Chris carter and art monk had to wait....and Tim brown is still waiting despite play in exile for the raiders his whole career.

Don't think Freeney will make it and Saturday won't get a sniff. Centers pretty much have to be the dominant players at their position for their era to get in the hall.

Dungy might get in, but I don't think he deserves to.

Reggie will get in for sure, he is a better version of Chris Carter, and Edge will as well , just look at the all-time stats...Saturday won't , but he as well as Glenn were big-time, but not hall of fame big-time...

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Luck also had Reggie to lean on along with Freeney, Mathis, Bethea, Adam, Redding, and McAfee to help shoulder the leadership burden.  Also, the guy that got them to believe in something last year was Arians and what happened with Pagano.  That's what WILLED them to 11-5 not just Luck's presence.  Make no mistake I think Luck is one heck of a leader and I think one would have to be a fool to think that Luck didn't play a role in helping to lead our team to the 11-5 record and it's without question that he was a huge upgrade over what the Colts had at the QB position last year but he was far from the only peace that changed from the team that was 2-14 the year before.  Luck had lots of help turning that team around but he deserves praise for his role in it as well. 

I think its pretty simple really, They all had a part in going in 11-5 BUT some seem to give Arians more credit then what I think he deserved, He made alot of questionable decisions and play calls along the way, many did not pay off (some challenges), Arians made some good calls and deserves some credit for getting that team to believe they could do what they did but make no mistake about it, If Luck was not behind Center and we had to suffer another Curtis Painter season again along with Arians as head coach we dont sniff 11 wins ,you can put as many Reggie Waynes at wr as you want or TY Hiltons, Was Luck perfect? Not even close but without him we all would have been talking about next years draft and by that I mean an early early pick

Like I said, Reggie is borderline. The numbers receivers are putting up nowadays is going to make it hard. Look how long guys like Chris carter and art monk had to wait....and Tim brown is still waiting despite play in exile for the raiders his whole career.

Don't think Freeney will make it and Saturday won't get a sniff. Centers pretty much have to be the dominant players at their position for their era to get in the hall.

Dungy might get in, but I don't think he deserves to.

Reggie is going to end up having numbers that are better than most of the WRs he's going to go up against.  Add to that he showed up in the playoffs unlike most of our other skill position players and he has more than a shot he's almost a lock.  Unless Reggie just a complete crash this year it's going to be hard to let Marvin in and keep Reggie out because their numbers are going be about the same. 

Carter was held out because he didn't have a ring and because he as a jerk.  Wayne has a ring and is liked.  Monk and Brown were always underrated as players, people around the league have always respected him and frankly the fact he lost Peyton Manning and still had good season is going to score major points in his favor. 

Also keep in mind Wayne is going to come up for after the current log jam of WRs has cleared and should be a head of the next log jam at WR.  He's probably going to go in at a good time. 

Dungy is going to the Hall of Fame, He has one of the highest winning % in NFL history with the Bucs and Colts and being the first African American Coach to win a Super Bowl will get him rather you think he should go in or not.  He is widely respected by the people who vote on the Hall of Fame as supported when he recently ranked as the 20th best NFL coach of all-time. 

Reggie is going to end up having numbers that are better than most of the WRs he's going to go up against.  Add to that he showed up in the playoffs unlike most of our other skill position players and he has more than a shot he's almost a lock.  Unless Reggie just a complete crash this year it's going to be hard to let Marvin in and keep Reggie out because their numbers are going be about the same. 

Carter was held out because he didn't have a ring and because he as a jerk.  Wayne has a ring and is liked.  Monk and Brown were always underrated as players, people around the league have always respected him and frankly the fact he lost Peyton Manning and still had good season is going to score major points in his favor. 

Also keep in mind Wayne is going to come up for after the current log jam of WRs has cleared and should be a head of the next log jam at WR.  He's probably going to go in at a good time. 

Dungy is going to the Hall of Fame, He has one of the highest winning % in NFL history with the Bucs and Colts and being the first African American Coach to win a Super Bowl will get him rather you think he should go in or not.  He is widely respected by the people who vote on the Hall of Fame as supported when he recently ranked as the 20th best NFL coach of all-time.

Sorry, but i have heard hall voters like peter king and john clayton talk about Reggie and I don't think any of them think Reggie is a lock to get in. You can keep thinking he's a lock, but he isn't at all.

Did you really think I didn't know Dungy was a successful coach and the first African American coach to win the SB? I am aware of his résumé....I just don't think he is hall worthy.

I think its pretty simple really, They all had a part in going in 11-5 BUT some seem to give Arians more credit then what I think he deserved, He made alot of questionable decisions and play calls along the way, many did not pay off (some challenges), Arians made some good calls and deserves some credit for getting that team to believe they could do what they did but make no mistake about it, If Luck was not behind Center and we had to suffer another Curtis Painter season again along with Arians as head coach we dont sniff 11 wins ,you can put as many Reggie Waynes at wr as you want or TY Hiltons, Was Luck perfect? Not even close but without him we all would have been talking about next years draft and by that I mean an early early pick

Hence why I said Luck should get credit too but they didn't go 11-5 because Luck WILLED them.  If anything willed them it was the deserve to play a 17th game for Pagano.  Again, like I said Luck is one heck of a leader as well as player and yes he should get credit too but he didn't do it by himself and frankly I think that's a good thing.

Reggie will get in for sure, he is a better version of Chris Carter, and Edge will as well , just look at the all-time stats...Saturday won't , but he as well as Glenn were big-time, but not hall of fame big-time...

I don't think Edge has any chance of getting into the hall. As the man said, Reggie is borderline...

Edge is more a sure thing than Reggie, as I said, look at the all-time stats...

Check out Wayne on the all-tie list

10th already on the Receptions number

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/leaders/rec_career.htm

14th on Yards

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/leaders/rec_yds_career.htm

24th on TDs

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/leaders/rec_td_career.htm

17th on Receiving yards per Game

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/leaders/rec_yds_per_g_career.htm

If Reggie just averages his career averages for the next two years he will be:

All time in pass caught, fourth at worst if Moss were to have a couple of monster years but that's unlikely.

Fourth or fifth in Receiving yards depending on what Tony Gonzalez does

and 10th on TDs.

If he were to retire after his current contract is up he's going to be one of the top 10 WRs to ever play the game number wise and I doubt he's going to be done when his contract is up.  If he's healthy it's not unrealistic to think he could probably play beyond his current contract if he elects too which means those numbers are going to go up.  Add to that fact he is pretty high on several playoff marks and the fact he has a Super Bowl ring it's going to very hard to keep Wayne out of the Hall of Fame. 

Edge has very solid numbers as well but what MIGHT hurt Edge is the devaluing of the running back position and lack of post season success.  With that said people might look at Edge's numbers and go wow he did this at a time when running backs were becoming devalued that's impressive.  It just going to depend on how they look at his case and frankly that's nothing any of us can predict. 

With that said, I think Wayne has a stronger case because of the fact he has produced in the post season and is going to end up slightly higher on the all-time list at his position than Edge was at on his list. 

The Colts never had the talent to win more than one. Did the Colts have more talent than the steelers? patriots? chargers? ravens? No

What I meant is that the Colts had good talent at skilled positions.  But since they never put much into the lines, they couldn't stop the run or run the ball.  I think that cost them a least another SB win.

Check out Wayne on the all-tie list

10th already on the Receptions number

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/leaders/rec_career.htm

14th on Yards

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/leaders/rec_yds_career.htm

24th on TDs

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/leaders/rec_td_career.htm

17th on Receiving yards per Game

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/leaders/rec_yds_per_g_career.htm

If Reggie just averages his career averages for the next two years he will be:

All time in pass caught, fourth at worst if Moss were to have a couple of monster years but that's unlikely.

Fourth or fifth in Receiving yards depending on what Tony Gonzalez does

and 10th on TDs.

If he were to retire after his current contract is up he's going to be one of the top 10 WRs to ever play the game number wise and I doubt he's going to be done when his contract is up.  If he's healthy it's not unrealistic to think he could probably play beyond his current contract if he elects too which means those numbers are going to go up.  Add to that fact he is pretty high on several playoff marks and the fact he has a Super Bowl ring it's going to very hard to keep Wayne out of the Hall of Fame. 

Edge has very solid numbers as well but what MIGHT hurt Edge is the devaluing of the running back position and lack of post season success.  With that said people might look at Edge's numbers and go wow he did this at a time when running backs were becoming devalued that's impressive.  It just going to depend on how they look at his case and frankly that's nothing any of us can predict. 

With that said, I think Wayne has a stronger case because of the fact he has produced in the post season and is going to end up slightly higher on the all-time list at his position than Edge was at on his list. 

Wayne was great last year but how long do you think that will last?

Wayne was great last year but how long do you think that will last?

That's my point he doesn't have to be great to reach those milestones he just have to be average for him and he just has to do it for the next two years.

Last year he had 106 catches for 1355 yards and five TDs.  His career averages are just 81 catches, 1088 yards and 6.5 TDs per season.  The only one of those he slowed down in last year was TDs and frankly that's the only number that is sorta "low" for Reggie.  However, if he just his career averages over the next two years he'll move up into the five all-time in both catches and yards.  Those should be very doable even if his production drops some.  If he preforms above his career averages it's possible he could catch Marvin in some of those numbers.  The mostly likely of these is catches and yards.  Marvin retired with 14,580 receiving yards and 1,102 catches.  If Reggie is just average for the next two years he'll surpass Marvin in both of these categories but the Colts all-time leader in both departments, surpassing two Hall of Famers in the process (assuming Marvin goes in).   

Reggie could retire today and be a boarder line Hall of Famer, if he puts up just average numbers the next two years he'll be a lock for the Hall.  Unless he has a major injury in the next two years it's not unrealistic to think that Wayne could play beyond his current contract.  Knock on wood, that's been the key to Reggie's success he's the NFL's ironman for WRs.  He's never really had a major injury and if he can avoid one he could probably produce at some level for a while to come even if his numbers start to drop in there. 

It also seems that the HOF comes down to personal like/dislike and I can't remember Wayne doing anything to detract from his public image (barring the construction worker training camp and that was just funny). I think he's well respected around the league and I'd imagine that will count for something.