Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Hope luck has a sophmore season like marino

Stephen

If he's only thrown for 3k yards over 16 games something is seriously wrong, unless the D is going to be getting a stupid number of turnovers in short yardage situations. As pointed out by more illustrious forum members its quite possible to throw less and still match or exceed last seasons numbers with better completion % and a overall more efficient offense.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

so you are saying you would be disappointed with 4000yards, more td-s and less int-s? 

i said if he gets 4k, 25, less than 16 i'd be happy with that, if he does better, i'd be thrilled..

if i remember correctly, he (and the team) struggled in the red zone, so i'm not expecting him to get a lot more td-s..

edit: you don't know me and what i want to appear to be, so your statement is outlandish..

I was not talking about you specifically. I was talking about the majority of comments in general here. All seem to be overly conservative and that, along with wanting to continue to reap praise on Luck for exceeding (low) expectations seem the only possible explanation.

I was not talking about you specifically. I was talking about the majority of comments in general here. All seem to be overly conservative and that, along with wanting to continue to reap praise on Luck for exceeding (low) expectations seem the only possible explanation.

How is wanting to be able to run the ball and set up play action conservative? One can still take deep shots  off of shorter passes and runs, Im also not sure what you mean by having low expectations of Luck.......Its as if you think throwing shorter (sometimes) passes will decrease Lucks value.....And I assure you a more efficient Luck wont decrease his value, It will actually increase it

How is wanting to be able to run the ball and set up play action conservative? One can still take deep shots  off of shorter passes and runs, Im also not sure what you mean by having low expectations of Luck.......Its as if you think throwing shorter (sometimes) passes will decrease Lucks value.....And I assure you a more efficient Luck wont decrease his value, It will actually increase it

I think you believe you are arguing with my point Gavin, when in fact you are completely backing it up.

Running the ball IS to set up play-action, it is not the focal point of the offense like others seem to imply, it is a compliment to the passing game, and if efficient, will improve Luck's numbers, including his yardage.

Yes we had a vertical offense, but if Luck improves his percentage total by 12% which he is certainly capable of, he will still have more yards in a shorter passing attack. And please do not kid yourselves, we are not turning into the masters of the dump off, Luck's YPA will greatly improve and he will have more yards, with help from a decent running game.

We were not a very efficient offense last year, expecting Luck to stay the same of regress in terms of yardage/TDs in an extremely low expectation.

I don't. Marino like seasons don't win championships. I believe we are supposed to be shooting to build a Super Bowl team, right?

Everyone goes gaga over regular season numbers. Yes they are nice but wins are better. Luck will still throw the ball and throw it well but we need more BALANCE. Not enough of a run game last year......

As much as I like Arians as a man and leader...looking back to last year I don't think he was the best fit at OC for Luck's skills. Our offense was too hit or miss.

I don't. Marino like seasons don't win championships. I believe we are supposed to be shooting to build a Super Bowl team, right?

Everyone goes gaga over regular season numbers. Yes they are nice but wins are better. Luck will still throw the ball and throw it well but we need more BALANCE. Not enough of a run game last year......

As much as I like Arians as a man and leader...looking back to last year I don't think he was the best fit at OC for Luck's skills. Our offense was too hit or miss.

Agreed, but you need to get to the playoffs to win a Superbowl. Regular season dominance is not a bad thing. Football doesn't suddenly become a new sport in the playoffs. Its usually just mentality that defeats teams.... and every team that wins a SB usually has luck in their favor, think of the amount of playoff games that were decided by one play of one moment of controversy.

We need to start with regular season dominance and consistency before we start talking about SBs.

Flacco threw it all over the yard in the playoffs and they had to to win, and they are champs now..

Flacco threw it all over the yard in the playoffs and they had to to win, and they are champs now..

Flacco was also aided by a defense. We haven't seen the Colts unit together yet so we can't honestly make that comparison.

Flacco had a postseason for the ages though. I don't think it's the norm. If it ever happens to Luck though I will be ridiculously giddy.

The Ravens are still known as a team who can run the ball though, teams still respected their ability to run and the threat.......which helped Flacco.

Baltimore was still ranked 11th overall in rushing offense in the regular season.

Agreed, but you need to get to the playoffs to win a Superbowl. Regular season dominance is not a bad thing. Football doesn't suddenly become a new sport in the playoffs. Its usually just mentality that defeats teams.... and every team that wins a SB usually has luck in their favor, think of the amount of playoff games that were decided by one play of one moment of controversy.

We need to start with regular season dominance and consistency before we start talking about SBs.

Yep, agree with that. Always happens and it's the stuff we cannot predict......

If he's only thrown for 3k yards over 16 games something is seriously wrong, unless the D is going to be getting a stupid number of turnovers in short yardage situations. As pointed out by more illustrious forum members its quite possible to throw less and still match or exceed last seasons numbers with better completion % and a overall more efficient offense.

I agree 3k would be bad unless he throws for 3k and has about 60 tds from the defense giving him the ball in the red zone. Also another 23/18 td to interception ratio would be just as bad. I'm hoping he can have a big jump year 2 like he did in college where his tds doubled and completions rose much higher. If he does his stat line would be 46 tds  12ints. would be an mvp type performance unless brady or manning set the td record.

Well at least Manning made it to the Superbowl with, uhh... Jim Caldwell, so as long as Luck plays like Manning and Pagano coaches just slightly better than Caldwell, we'll get over the hump!

What makes you think he will ever play like Manning?

I hope we are throw heavy. We aren't really geared for the power run yet. Continue to develop ballard and as the line builds cohesiveness let us become a team that leans on the run and maybe acquires a big time RB in the draft (though that's a thing of the past)

If you can throw in this league and play a little D you can win. Let's keep in that direction and let Luck let it rip

I want 30 TD's and cut down on the INT's tats all I want to see.

I'll bite...  I  think AL will DESTROY EVERY  Manning record in Indy.

Then he would be the greatest QB in NFL history. I am sorry but I just don't see that. I think he will be a serviceable QB but not among the best in history. If you want to anoint him as that, you are doing him a disservice. Manning's legacy will be hard to live up to. I doubt any young QB will do it....

Then he would be the greatest QB in NFL history. I am sorry but I just don't see that. I think he will be a serviceable QB but not among the best in history. If you want to anoint him as that, you are doing him a disservice. Manning's legacy will be hard to live up to. I doubt any young QB will do it....

Mannings legacy took 15 years to build here in Indy it wasn't built in year 1 , Luck was much more then serviceable last year for a rookie

No other ROOKIE QB would have willed last years team to an 11-5 record...No rookie QB in history had to have as much on his shoulders as Luck..Manning had Marshall Faulk and was 3-13 his rookie year...So at this point in their career's Luck is better and I see it continuing to go that way , especially with a GREATLY improved roster this year...

I hope not.  I know this is a passing league now.   But teams that run and stop the run win the Super Bowl.  What was always the best way to beat the Manning Colts?  Run the football.  Hold onto the ball.   So I actually hope Luck has a solid season, but we have 1800+ combined rushing yards by our backs. That would make me happy.  If Luck throws 50 TDs, we will be an unbalanced team that is probably one and done in playoffs.

I admit, I am not sure why people want him to throw so much or break Mannings records.  How many Super Bowls did Manning win?  One.  Yet, we often had the talent to win more.  We should learn from that experience that it is better to throw less, run more, and stop the other team.   I like what Grigson and Pagano are doing.  Look how the Ravens shut down the Patriots in the playoffs last year.  We are building that same kind of defense.  If Hamilton runs the offense like Stanford, we should have a well balanced offense where Luck should be efficient but win a lot of games.

I hope not.  I know this is a passing league now.   But teams that run and stop the run win the Super Bowl.  What was always the best way to beat the Manning Colts?  Run the football.  Hold onto the ball.   So I actually hope Luck has a solid season, but we have 1800+ combined rushing yards by our backs. That would make me happy.  If Luck throws 50 TDs, we will be an unbalanced team that is probably one and done in playoffs.

I admit, I am not sure why people want him to throw so much or break Mannings records.  How many Super Bowls did Manning win?  One.  Yet, we often had the talent to win more.  We should learn from that experience that it is better to throw less, run more, and stop the other team.   I like what Grigson and Pagano are doing.  Look how the Ravens shut down the Patriots in the playoffs last year.  We are building that same kind of defense.  If Hamilton runs the offense like Stanford, we should have a well balanced offense where Luck should be efficient but win a lot of games.

The Colts never had the talent to win more than one. Did the Colts have more talent than the steelers? patriots? chargers? ravens? No

If we can throw all over people and utilize our weapons best by throwing then that doesn't mean our offense failed....Even if we can run which I think we will be adequate with the new guys on the line, if we can score at will by throwing then that's what you do...The same people preaching we need to run are the same people saying we didn't need to draft a running-back...Makes no sense...Were the Patriots or Rams or Saints failures when they threw the ball all over the yard???? I believe they went to Super Bowls if I'm not mistaken...We have the future G.O.A.T. behind center and trying to run a ball control offense makes no sense unless we have no line which is not gonna be the case this year...We need to be able to run to close out games or in bad weather situations, but to run just to run when we can light people up throwing the ball is just counterproductive...

Teams don't just run to close out games or in bad weather. Establishing the ability to run early in games sets up play action, and the play book is opened wide.

I strongly disagree that we need(ed) more RBs to make that happen. Bradshaw might be a bonus, but nothing and nobody would make a difference until the line was addressed. Let's just hope the steps Grigs took do the job.

Teams don't just run to close out games or in bad weather. Establishing the ability to run early in games sets up play action, and the play book is opened wide.

I strongly disagree that we need(ed) more RBs to make that happen. Bradshaw might be a bonus, but nothing and nobody would make a difference until the line was addressed. Let's just hope the steps Grigs took do the job.

We will be able to run, i said we have to run in those situations...We will run to open the play-action and Bradshaw would make us better...We will be 60-40, I'm not saying don't run, but Luck is not Trent Dilfer and we don't need to call plays as if he is...

The Colts never had the talent to win more than one. Did the Colts have more talent than the steelers? patriots? chargers? ravens? No

Their haven't been many offenses with 4 Hall of Famers...Just saying...1 Super Bowl is a miserable underachievement and that is a direct result of coaching...

Their haven't been many offenses with 4 Hall of Famers...Just saying...1 Super Bowl is a miserable underachievement and that is a direct result of coaching...

More like 2 HOFers. Manning and Marvin are the only one likely to get in, with Reggie having an outside shot depending on the rest of his career.

People for years have overrated the Colts roster of that era. It was good, but it was far from elite.

More like 2 HOFers. Manning and Marvin are the only one likely to get in, with Reggie having an outside shot depending on the rest of his career.

People for years have overrated the Colts roster of that era. It was good, but it was far from elite.

Reggie and Edgerrin will both be in...Don't forget Tarik Glenn either, he wasn't too shabby, and Saturday...Come on man..We should have had 3 Lombardis minimum, but Belichik killed us with lesser talent...

Reggie and Edgerrin will both be in...Don't forget Tarik Glenn either, he wasn't too shabby, and Saturday...Come on man..We should have had 3 Lombardis minimum, but Belichik killed us with lesser talent...

Reggie is borderline. Edge has no shot, nor does anyone else.

Edge has no shot???????????? R u serious?? If Chris Carter is a Hall of Famer, Edge is by far...

Serious. I think running backs in this day and age are going have to one of a kind to get into the hall. They let Curtis Martin in, so I guess there is a shot, but he played in NYC which doesn't hurt. And honestly, after Edge hurt his knee, he wasn't special.

Serious. I think running backs in this day and age are going have to one of a kind to get into the hall. They let Curtis Martin in, so I guess there is a shot, but he played in NYC which doesn't hurt. And honestly, after Edge hurt his knee, he wasn't special.

He was still special all-around, but I agree, before the injury he top 5 all-time, I remember his first game in pre-season against the Saints, I was like forget Ricky Williams , we have the truth right here...

No other ROOKIE QB would have willed last years team to an 11-5 record...No rookie QB in history had to have as much on his shoulders as Luck..Manning had Marshall Faulk and was 3-13 his rookie year...So at this point in their career's Luck is better and I see it continuing to go that way , especially with a GREATLY improved roster this year...

I don't think there is any basis in fact for this statement. It is your opinion. Then you have a four or five time MVP with multiple Super Bowl appearances and the greatest QB of all time. Sorry, I just don't see it and that is just my opinion based in part on his 54% completion percentage turnover rate.....

The fact that Edge is going to come up for a vote at a time when there aren't going to be many other great running backs going up against him will probably help him.  Also the fact he was one of the last of a dying bread will also help him.  With that said I could see it going either way on Edge so I wouldn't say he's a lock but I also wouldn't say he has no shot either. 

Manning, Marvin, and Reggie are going to be hard to keep out if not impossible.  Wayne is starting to close in on some of Marvin's club records.  If he doesn't get them he's going to be right on the door step of them and he has the benefit of having the "well you were just great because you played with Peyton" argument destroyed. 

Freeney might have a shot depending on how the rest of his career goes.  I think Saturday will also get consideration too.  As will Adam.  I know people will always remember Adam as a Pat but what he did with the Colts will help if he gets in.  Assuming he makes the team this year he will have spent eight years in Indy only two years short of what he spent in New England.  Add to that he was also a key part to us winning a Super Bowl ring here and that will help Adam's argument.  With that said I don't think Freeney, Saturday, or Adam are anything close to locks. 

I do think the Colts have one lock for sure in an off-the field department and that's Dungy.  Being the first African-American coach to win a Super Bowl Title was the icing on the cake for a Hall of Fame career for a Head Coach.  Bill Polian should go in as well however, sometimes the Hall of Fame voting comes down to do they like you or not.  That was a large part of what kept Cris Carter out of the Hall for so many years.  The people voting on the award just flat out didn't like him.  It's not a secret that Polian was a jerk so he might have some detractors in the Hall of Fame voting based on that.  However, if you honestly look at Polian's track record as a GM he deserves to go the Hall of Fame even if people don't like him as a person. 

He was still special all-around, but I agree, before the injury he top 5 all-time, I remember his first game in pre-season against the Saints, I was like forget Ricky Williams , we have the truth right here...

Yeah, if it wasn't for that injury he is first ballot no questions asked.

Luck also had Reggie to lean on along with Freeney, Mathis, Bethea, Adam, Redding, and McAfee to help shoulder the leadership burden.  Also, the guy that got them to believe in something last year was Arians and what happened with Pagano.  That's what WILLED them to 11-5 not just Luck's presence.  Make no mistake I think Luck is one heck of a leader and I think one would have to be a fool to think that Luck didn't play a role in helping to lead our team to the 11-5 record and it's without question that he was a huge upgrade over what the Colts had at the QB position last year but he was far from the only peace that changed from the team that was 2-14 the year before.  Luck had lots of help turning that team around but he deserves praise for his role in it as well. 

The fact that Edge is going to come up for a vote at a time when there aren't going to be many other great running backs going up against him will probably help him.  Also the fact he was one of the last of a dying bread will also help him.  With that said I could see it going either way on Edge so I wouldn't say he's a lock but I also wouldn't say he has no shot either. 

Manning, Marvin, and Reggie are going to be hard to keep out if not impossible.  Wayne is starting to close in on some of Marvin's club records.  If he doesn't get them he's going to be right on the door step of them and he has the benefit of having the "well you were just great because you played with Peyton" argument destroyed. 

Freeney might have a shot depending on how the rest of his career goes.  I think Saturday will also get consideration too.  As will Adam.  I know people will always remember Adam as a Pat but what he did with the Colts will help if he gets in.  Assuming he makes the team this year he will have spent eight years in Indy only two years short of what he spent in New England.  Add to that he was also a key part to us winning a Super Bowl ring here and that will help Adam's argument.  With that said I don't think Freeney, Saturday, or Adam are anything close to locks. 

I do think the Colts have one lock for sure in an off-the field department and that's Dungy.  Being the first African-American coach to win a Super Bowl Title was the icing on the cake for a Hall of Fame career for a Head Coach.  Bill Polian should go in as well however, sometimes the Hall of Fame voting comes down to do they like you or not.  That was a large part of what kept Cris Carter out of the Hall for so many years.  The people voting on the award just flat out didn't like him.  It's not a secret that Polian was a jerk so he might have some detractors in the Hall of Fame voting based on that.  However, if you honestly look at Polian's track record as a GM he deserves to go the Hall of Fame even if people don't like him as a person.

Like I said, Reggie is borderline. The numbers receivers are putting up nowadays is going to make it hard. Look how long guys like Chris carter and art monk had to wait....and Tim brown is still waiting despite play in exile for the raiders his whole career.

Don't think Freeney will make it and Saturday won't get a sniff. Centers pretty much have to be the dominant players at their position for their era to get in the hall.

Dungy might get in, but I don't think he deserves to.