Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts are a Gap Running Team

HtownColt

"I mean we've got everything. We're a gap team. We've got gap schemes, we've got zone schemes, we've got man schemes. I think the one thing we've got enough of in our arsenal is we can pick and choose game week going in and seeing how somebody going to defend us. How can we take advantage of them personnel-wise? How can we create mismatches by formations and by schemes. I think that gives us a little bit of flexibility with what we have."-Joe Gilbert the OL coach on Colts.com

"I mean we've got everything. We're a gap team. We've got gap schemes, we've got zone schemes, we've got man schemes. I think the one thing we've got enough of in our arsenal is we can pick and choose game week going in and seeing how somebody going to defend us. How can we take advantage of them personnel-wise? How can we create mismatches by formations and by schemes. I think that gives us a little bit of flexibility with what we have."-Joe Gilbert the OL coach on Colts.com

Nice find HtownColt.  I have read almost all of the Colts.com articles and I missed that one along the way.  I feel that this quote by Coach Gilbert is telling in that the Offensive Linemen NEED to be able to block in both the Man and ZB schemes. (One of my OL wishes) That may be why we grabbed Hugh Thornton when we did, and makes the Khaled Holmes signing even better.  :thmup:

A little off topic, but also important is the amount of offense the players need to learn.  Also from Colts.com:

Christensen says the new offense represents about a 20 percent change for Luck, where his current non-Stanford teammates have a 100 percent learning curve.

While this is discussing Luck, it would appear as we have discussed Whalen and Fleener have the same advantage.  Very interesting to me on the offense as a whole.  Nice post!! :)

Glad you guys enjoyed the blog.

Any time you can talk to the assistant coaches it's a treat because they offer another voice to more specific information that maybe Pagano doesn't always touchon.

We will have much more coverage from them in the coming weeks and look tomorrow for some highlights from the defensive group of coaches.

Any time you can talk to the assistant coaches it's a treat because they offer another voice to more specific information that maybe Pagano doesn't always touchon.

We will have much more coverage from them in the coming weeks and look tomorrow for some highlights from the defensive group of coaches.

That sounds great to me!  I have felt since Coach Pagano's hiring we have hired a fantastic group of teachers.

I was amazed after all of my raving last year, coach came out an said it!!  I look forward to the defensive coaches as well as Offensive!!  Should be fun :)

Well, looks like the term "Multiple" offense is fitting us more & more as time goes on

Madden creators are gonna have a HARD time putting our playbook in the game lmao

Yeah it will be like west coast+ pass balanced+ run&gun= no coast

Boy!  What an enthusiastic crowd we have here today!  The season needs to start soon.  I don't think that some folks will be able to handle this downtime much longer.

You were just describing me!!!  I was just outside doing my new Seth Olsen workout video....live footage!!

tumblr_mjb0joodVH1rvsirlo1_400.gif

I've now been a member of this community for a full year....   I've always known about the Blogs,  but have always concentrated here on the forums....

But what I didn't know is that YOU have a blog.     That's very different.     And now that I've taken a quick look,  I'll be visiting every day!

Much appreciated....    :thmup:

How is it that the coach's comment is that we do everything.   Gap scheme's, zone schemes, man schemes....  and yet the header to this thread announces......

"Colts are a Gap Running Team".....

Because once you look at the actual quote,  you realize,  that we're not.

How is it that the coach's comment is that we do everything.   Gap scheme's, zone schemes, man schemes....  and yet the header to this thread announces......

Because once you look at the actual quote,  you realize,  that we're not.

Having read the quote beforehand that was also my first reaction when I saw the title of this thread. 

This is pretty much like most other teams in the league. There are no pure man-blocking teams and there haven't been for a long time.

How is it that the coach's comment is that we do everything. Gap scheme's, zone schemes, man schemes.... and yet the header to this thread announces......

Because once you look at the actual quote, you realize, that we're not.

Because the first words to come out his mouth were "We're a gap team" which means that's what the base is but we run the other blocking schemes as well, but the bread and butter is gap schemes if that's the first thing to come out his mouth.

I've now been a member of this community for a full year....   I've always known about the Blogs,  but have always concentrated here on the forums....

But what I didn't know is that YOU have a blog.     That's very different.     And now that I've taken a quick look,  I'll be visiting every day!

Much appreciated....    :thmup:

Glad you were able to find it.

I try and tweet out a morning blog around 7:30-8:00 AM (eastern time, not sure how that translates to you in the UK) to get some morning reading for all Colts fans.

The blogs covers a variety of topics and while things might be slow the next few weeks, remember training camp is less than two months away so things will take off in the blog area starting in late July.

Glad you were able to find it.

I try and tweet out a morning blog around 7:30-8:00 AM (eastern time, not sure how that translates to you in the UK) to get some morning reading for all Colts fans.

The blogs covers a variety of topics and while things might be slow the next few weeks, remember training camp is less than two months away so things will take off in the blog area starting in late July.

Thanks again....

One minor geographical nit to pick....

I'm not in the UK....   I'm in the opposite direction,  sunny Southern California!

There appears to be about 10-12 So. Cal Colts fans here...   some of us hope to meet this fall to watch games on TV!

Because the first words to come out his mouth were "We're a gap team" which means that's what the base is but we run the other blocking schemes as well, but the bread and butter is gap schemes if that's the first thing to come out his mouth.

HTC....

I don't know why you believe this....   but there is no hard and fast rule -- none -- that the first thing that comes out of a person's mouth is the dominate, or most important viewpoint.    People talk as they talk.   It's a casual conversation.     Especially in sports where the people communicating are just communicating to the media....   it's very casual.

So,  the the first thing out of someone's mouth,  is only the first thing out of their mouth --- nothing more.    I give you my word.  The order out of his mouth is not automatically the most important. 

Now,  without knowing full well,  you may in fact be right.   Maybe we are a gap running team.   But it won't be because of how it was explained in the interview.

I dealt with quotes for 30 years,  and that was never a key factor.  

HTC....

I don't know why you believe this.... but there is no hard and fast rule -- none -- that the first thing that comes out of a person's mouth is the dominate, or most important viewpoint. People talk as they talk. It's a casual conversation. Especially in sports where the people communicating are just communicating to the media.... it's very casual.

So, the the first thing out of someone's mouth, is only the first thing out of their mouth --- nothing more. I give you my word. The order out of his mouth is not automatically the most important.

Now, without knowing full well, you may in fact be right. Maybe we are a gap running team. But it won't be because of how it was explained in the interview.

I dealt with quotes for 30 years, and that was never a key factor.

Ok you see it a different way than me, it's pretty straight foward to me, he said "we are a gap team" and Ballard said we are running "gap principles"

Ok you see it a different way than me, it's pretty straight foward to me, he said "we are a gap team" and Ballard said we are running "gap principles"

I see it the same way as NCF. It sounded pretty straight forward to me that he literally said that we have the ability to use gap, zone, or man, and will use what would work best against the D we're facing. That may be wishful thinking, but that's what he said.

However, I agree with you that we'll probably run gap most of the time.

Again....    I want to stress this....

I'm not saying we not a gap running team.  You may be right.    All I'm saying don't read too much into the order that things tumble out of a coaches mouth.    There are not automatics there.....    each coach is different...

I've heard Pagano speak and sometimes he seems a little scatter-brained....   things come out a little all over the map....   some people's brains just work that way.     Not a knock,  just an observation....

You were just describing me!!! I was just outside doing my new Seth Olsen workout video....live footage!!

tumblr_mjb0joodVH1rvsirlo1_400.gif

True story, did that one time! Lol. Neighbor and wife got to witness also. Jumped up to grab a dead branch and it snapped. Went straight on my back, lol.

Like Smonroe and NCF said. Like our defense we will run out offense. No reason to pigeon hole ourselves into a scheme. Lets go Belecheck style and run whatever best exploits the opponent. Whether that be gap, man or zone.

True story, did that one time! Lol. Neighbor and wife got to witness also. Jumped up to grab a dead branch and it snapped. Went straight on my back, lol.

I could not resist that one...with a little jab at ex-Colt Seth Olsen....:)

I could have a 'lowlight' reel of all of my 'mishaps...' priceless!