Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Bone Head Move Of The Decade Goes To The Ravens

dw49

You could well argue that Atlanta's receiving corps is superior to the Ravens. That being said, Flacco has totally outperformed Ryan in the clutch, it's not even close. Flacco's reputation would be further enhanced without the bungling personal foul by Darren Stone against the Steelers in the AFC Championship game, and the Evans/Cundiff foul-ups against the Patriots, in another one. The facts are uncontestable.

And if the PI was correctly called in the NFC championship game, Atlanta would likely have gone to the Super Bowl.

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And if the PI was correctly called in the NFC championship game, Atlanta would likely have gone to the Super Bowl.

And then the 49ers got the non call at the end of the Super Bowl. :rock:

It's like they got a break to get there then got the non break at the end of the big one.......

You could well argue that Atlanta's receiving corps is superior to the Ravens. That being said, Flacco has totally outperformed Ryan in the clutch, it's not even close. Flacco's reputation would be further enhanced without the bungling personal foul by Darren Stone against the Steelers in the AFC Championship game, and the Evans/Cundiff foul-ups against the Patriots, in another one. The facts are uncontestable.

Are you serious???

You're talking about the 2008 AFCCG, the game where Flacco was 13/30 for 133 yards and three picks? You're saying that, if not for Daren Stone's penalty, the Ravens would have won, and that game would have been a feather in Flacco's cap? That game was a perfect example of how Flacco's limitations held the Ravens back. I haven't brought that game up because Flacco was a rookie, and just wasn't ready to beat that Steelers team on the road. But that you would use that as an example of Flacco not getting enough credit is amazing to me. 

Talk about the facts not being contestable... my word...

Point well made about Evans/Cundiff in 2011, though. I've acknowledged many times in this very thread that Flacco played a very good game that went to waste that day. And ironically, it's an example of why I don't think it's reasonable to blame the quarterback for not doing enough just because his team loses. Flacco did more than enough, and his teammates didn't deliver.

If Harry Douglas doesn't trip over his own feet on that last drive Atlanta would have likely gone to the SB. Thought ATL kinda gave that game away.

I am sorry but I don't remember the NFCCG much and I never watched it over. I don't even think I paid much attention later on since I had to run out sometime during the game (4th quarter) and found out what happened later in highlights on tv.

Did Atlanta even SCORE in the second half? At all?

I am sorry but I don't remember the NFCCG much and I never watched it over. I don't even think I paid much attention later on since I had to run out sometime during the game (4th quarter) and found out what happened later in highlights on tv.

Atlanta had four meaningful possessions in the second half . . . and the possession went

INT

QB fumble

3&out

long drive that stalled in the red zone . . .

On top of the above SF fumbled on the 1 yard line, and if they had not, the last possession mentioned above would have been meaningless as they would have been down by two scores  . . .

It was strange....ATL shanked a punt, Roddy White fell down on a route that led to a interception, and Matt Ryan had a brain fart fumble when he was hiked the ball in shotgun, and then Harry Douglas trips without being touched on a wide open catch on the last drive.

Oh yeah, Kaepernick also got a bogus roughing penalty on a 3rd down because a finger grazed his face mask. While that penalty didn't lead to a score, it allowed SF to bury ATL deep in their own territory.....where ATL went 3 and out mentioned above.

It was strange....ATL shanked a punt, Roddy White fell down on a route that led to a interception, and Matt Ryan had a brain fart fumble when he was hiked the ball in shotgun, and then Harry Douglas trips without being touched on a wide open catch on the last drive.

Oh yeah, Kaepernick also got a bogus roughing penalty on a 3rd down because a finger grazed his face mask. While that penalty didn't lead to a score, it allowed SF to bury ATL deep in their own territory.....where ATL went 3 and out mentioned above.

And the SF mentioned above was totally caused by the ATL defense....so saying "if" they wouldn't have fumbled is peculiar.

On top of the above SF fumbled on the 1 yard line, and if they had not, the last possession mentioned above would have been meaningless as they would have been down by two scores . . .

Ok and IF Harry Douglas doesn't trip on a walk in TD on the final drive, the Falcon's go to the Super bowl.

When Atlanta got out to the big lead I thought they had the game (silly me) and was even on here and sometime later I went out and caught a little on the radio and was like "what the......"......

Those poor Falcons fans. My God, horrible second half to witness at home with the Super Bowl on the line.

Ok and IF Harry Douglas doesn't trip on a walk in TD on the final drive, the Falcon's go to the Super bowl.

not exactly . . . first off there was plenty of time left on the clock for SF to come back and tie with a FG or win with a TD . . . second and perhaps more importantly both teams had WRs make critical mistakes . . . so they cancel each other out . . . if Crabtree does not fumble, the Douglas trip is moot . . . bottom line if both players do not make a mistake SF still wins . . . one can't make note of a misfortune of one team without similarly taking note of a misfortunate for the other team . . . 

I don't directly recall the roughing the passer call, but I do remember a close catch/incomplete call on Douglas on a long throw on Atl last drive . . .

As for the fumble, one needs to be extra secure with the ball that close to play dirt and that late in the game  . . .

I just remember the flow of the game was that Ryan was not playing well in the 2nd half . . .

not exactly . . . first off there was plenty of time left on the clock for SF to come back and tie with a FG or win with a TD . . . second and perhaps more importantly both teams had WRs make critical mistakes . . . so they cancel each other out . . . if Crabtree does not fumble, the Douglas trip is moot . . . bottom line if both players do not make a mistake SF still wins . . . one can't make note of a misfortune of one team without similarly taking note of a misfortunate for the other team . . .

It wasn't just misfortune on Crabtree's part...it was a big time play/classic strip from the defender when Crabtree was trying to get into the endzone.

But I will agree, it's a moot point....SF won.

It wasn't just misfortune on Crabtree's part...it was a big time play/classic strip from the defender when Crabtree was trying to get into the endzone.

But I will agree, it's a moot point....SF won.

agreed there is a difference between an unforced error, by a WR tripping, and a good play by the opposition in stripping the ball, to be honest I don't recall the strip by the defender so I will take your memory of the play . . . 

These are the kinds of things that get forgotten later on. An example is the Broncos vs. Chargers in Week 6, the comeback game. The Broncos are down 10-0 in the second quarter, Manning throws downfield to a wide open Decker (wiiiiiiiiddde open), who catches the ball and should just cruise into the end zone. Decker trips over the 45 yard line and is tackled at the 30. Inexplicable. Manning throws a pick-six three plays later, and the score is 17-0.

Fault Manning for the pick; he deserves blame, absolutely. But there should also be acknowledgment of the mistake by his teammate that put him in that position to begin with. Those things happen sometimes. And when we say "this guy's a winner, and this guy isn't," solely based on the outcome of the game, it ignores the fact that sometimes things happen that are entirely out of the quarterback's control.

These are the kinds of things that get forgotten later on. An example is the Broncos vs. Chargers in Week 6, the comeback game. The Broncos are down 10-0 in the second quarter, Manning throws downfield to a wide open Decker (wiiiiiiiiddde open), who catches the ball and should just cruise into the end zone. Decker trips over the 45 yard line and is tackled at the 30. Inexplicable. Manning throws a pick-six three plays later, and the score is 17-0.

Fault Manning for the pick; he deserves blame, absolutely. But there should also be acknowledgment of the mistake by his teammate that put him in that position to begin with. Those things happen sometimes. And when we say "this guy's a winner, and this guy isn't," solely based on the outcome of the game, it ignores the fact that sometimes things happen that are entirely out of the quarterback's control.

Manning seems to have the worst luck of any Qb .. :thmup:

I would like to qualified this a tad, although I see where you are going and agree . . . the thing about Decker play was he was wide open due to a mistake a defender missing an assignment . . . had the defender not missed an assignment he very well would have been there to tackle Decker likely were he tripped, so it was kind of a wash for me . . .

regarding your point about a player having to run another play due to a teammate's mistake and that extra play resulting in something negative, I agree 100% . . . and he looks bad but would not have too had his mate made the play . . . agreed . . .

I would like to qualified this a tad, although I see where you are going and agree . . . the thing about Decker play was he was wide open due to a mistake a defender missing an assignment . . . had the defender not missed an assignment he very well would have been there to tackle Decker likely were he tripped, so it was kind of a wash for me . . .

regarding your point about a player having to run another play due to a teammate's mistake and that extra play resulting in something negative, I agree 100% . . . and he looks bad but would not have too had his mate made the play . . . agreed . . .

Sometimes defenders miss assignments, though. It's not an entirely foreign concept.

No matter, I think you get what I'm saying, I get what you're saying.

Sometimes defenders miss assignments, though. It's not an entirely foreign concept.

No matter, I think you get what I'm saying, I get what you're saying.

yes Decker had the good fortune to be open and was not able to capitalize on it and gave it back to the Chargers by tripping over the 45 . . . so instead of an TD we have an INT . . . changed the game momentarily, but the Broncos prevailed in the end . . .