Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Charles Woodson agrees to terms w/ Raiders

MTC

I guess he'd rather go against Manning than play with him. Well at least watching Broncos-Raiders games just got a little more exciting!

I wonder if Woodson is thinking "Hey, I wonder if Oakland is just as dysfunctional of a team as the 1 I left Green Bay for several years ago? Can Jon Gruden come back & be the HC again? Can I tease Tom Brady about the NFL dropping the Tuck Rule now? Funny, how Tom Brady coughed up the ball, still keep the ball, & this rule change is several years to late like finding a winning lottery ticket 92 days after a person's chance to claim their winnings has since expired." [Lottery officials usually give a person 3 months or 90 days to show the winning ticket & claim their winnings.] 

incentive-laden, $4.3 million deal comes with a $1.8 million base salary that includes a $700,000 signing bonus,

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/337035743719473153

& he supposedly wanted to sign with a team that had a chance to get him a SB ring, Money must of proved more important .

If money, not winning the Super Bowl, was clearly Charles Woodson’s top priority, why would the Broncos want him anyway?

Denver had offered a deal with   incentives   worth $3.7 million.

“There’s no freaking way he’d want to go to Oakland,” Broncos corner Champ Bailey told 102.3 FM ESPN on Tuesday.

It is hard to believe, Champ, but once again the almighty dollar prevailed

http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2013/05/21/more-money-lures-charles-woodson-to-raiders/19895/

Denver heard it from ESPN, Woodsons agent never called to tell them

But Woodson's agent, Carl Poston, decided to shop around for a better deal and he got one from the Raiders, if not that much better. ESPN reported the maximum value of Woodson's deal is $4.3 million.

Poston did not inform the Broncos of his client's decision to play for the Raiders.

Read more:Charles Woodson picks Oakland Raiders over Denver Broncos - The Denver Posthttp://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_23295314/charles-woodson-picks-oakland-raiders-over-denver-broncos#ixzz2U0mZ1k4P

tuck rule part two

Yes but this time the Raiders will play the Pats in the playoffs and the Raiders Qb will lose the ball and it will be clear as day that the "old" tuck rule should be called but alas, it will be called a fumble. Raiders fans show up at Gillette the following season with pitch forks and torches...

I would surmise that they offered him the most money. He certainly isn't going there to win a ring there. Perhaps playing against Manning twice a year also played a part...

as I noted in comment # 8 with links,  both contract terms are given, the money difference is not much at all is as he said he wanted to play with a contender

incentive-laden, $4.3 million deal comes with a $1.8 million base salary that includes a $700,000 signing bonus,  Raiders

Vs   

I doubt playing against Peyton Vs Playing with Peyton on a contender is a factor , but u never know ones mind & decision process beyonmd the offer he took, only he knows

but think it rude Denver found out by hearing it on ESPN, his agent didnt bother to tell them as again I noted with links,. if story is to be belived, - lets face it the press arent the greatest source accurracy wise if comes to making controversy for controversy 's sake

as I noted in comment # 8 with links,  both contract terms are given, the money difference is not much at all is as he said he wanted to play with a contender

incentive-laden, $4.3 million deal comes with a $1.8 million base salary that includes a $700,000 signing bonus,  Raiders

Vs   

I doubt playing against Peyton Vs Playing with Peyton on a contender is a factor , but u never know ones mind & decision process beyonmd the offer he took, only he knows

but think it rude Denver found out by hearing it on ESPN, his agent didnt bother to tell them as again I noted with links,. if story is to be belived, - lets face it the press arent the greatest source accurracy wise if comes to making controversy for controversy 's sake

Thanks Bayone. This harkens back to what I was saying after the Doom debacle, not to mention the whole Tebow saga which was basically a 101 course on how not to handle a tough QB situation. I really think Elway's player communication skills are terrible. When he publicly said Doom's contract was "out of whack" you have to question his ability to properly handle the players to make them want to play for him. The fact that Woodson did not even bother to tell Elway speaks volumes IMO.

Thanks Bayone. This harkens back to what I was saying after the Doom debacle, not to mention the whole Tebow saga which was basically a 101 course on how not to handle a tough QB situation. I really think Elway's player communication skills are terrible. When he publicly said Doom's contract was "out of whack" you have to question his ability to properly handle the players to make them want to play for him. The fact that Woodson did not even bother to tell Elway speaks volumes IMO.

denver press always prase him but lets face it , he can gain on a pass on management due to his winninmg SB years , and that since he got in 2 straight plyoff years & hes made some good draft picks and save for doom some nice free agent moves

I dont know if its management or not, i know manning, champ , moore,. many players personally reached out to woodson to welcome him and know raiders nation where out in force too, maybe he just decided he liked living where he started with oakland

who knows, but agent should have contacted Broncos, thats plain rude

PS at the time I really don't remember the Tebow saga save tebow didnt want Jacksonville and they offered a better draft pick but Elways accommodated Tebow as he cjose Jets, He  had to feel bad for him

denver press always prase him but lets face it , he can gain on a pass on management due to his winninmg SB years , and that since he got in 2 straight plyoff years & hes made some good draft picks and save for doom some nice free agent moves

I dont know if its management or not, i know manning, champ , moore,. many players personally reached out to woodson to welcome him and know raiders nation where out in force too, maybe he just decided he liked living where he started with oakland

PS at the time I really don't remember the Tebow saga save tebow didnt want Jacksonville and they offered a better draft pick but Elways accommodated Tebow as he cjose Jets, He  had to feel bad for him

I am not so sure about him getting a pass from the Denver press. If he does not win a SB with Manning then I think they will feel he was a failure as a GM and let's face it, last year's playoff loss was horrific. Denver's defense was exposed left and right just as it was every time they played a quality team during the regular season. The loss of Doom was critical and Elway deserves some blame for it.

In terms of Tebow, I was not referencing Tebow's departure to the Jets but Elway's ongoing comments during the season basically saying Tebow would not be his guy and then when he got to Denver to the playoffs and beat Pitt, Elway said that Tebow would be his starter or at least the job was his to lose in training camp. Then of course, he signed Manning and the rest is history.

I am not so sure about him getting a pass from the Denver press. If he does not win a SB with Manning then I think they will feel he was a failure as a GM and let's face it, last year's playoff loss was horrific. Denver's defense was exposed left and right just as it was every time they played a quality team during the regular season. The loss of Doom was critical and Elway deserves some blame for it.

In terms of Tebow, I was not referencing Tebow's departure to the Jets but Elway's ongoing comments during the season basically saying Tebow would not be his guy and then when he got to Denver to the playoffs and beat Pitt, Elway said that Tebow would be his starter or at least the job was his to lose in training camp. Then of course, he signed Manning and the rest is history.

I didnt listen to Terbow comments that much during the year, didnt care at all about Denver until Peyton arrived and basically am Peyton fan not Denver fan, but 1st colt fan

not sure who to blame for that  playoff breakdown, Defense was horrendous and never should of gone to OT

18 things , and were listed by 1 site      had to go wrong for denver to lose, after the game the site reiterated all 18  & added Prater had to kick the ball for a FG , not the dirt first  before the ball or that alone would of made up for all the rest and that gave Ravens great field position for more points & prater was originally franchised till signed LT contract and had a bad year overall

Really was a badly played game, not sure if was plan or execution

just want to move on

I didnt listen to Terbow comments that much during the year, didnt care at all about Denver until Peyton arrived and basically am Peyton fan not Denver fan, but 1st colt fan

not sure who to blame for that  playoff breakdown, Defense was horrendous and never should of gone to OT

18 things , and were listed by 1 site      had to go wrong for denver to lose, after the game the site reiterated all 18  & added Prater had to kick the ball for a FG , not the dirt first  before the ball or that alone would of made up for all the rest and that gave Ravens great field position for more points & prater was originally franchised till signed LT contract and had a bad year overall

Really was a badly played game, not sure if was plan or execution

just want to move on

18 things? That is interesting. I think the ebb and flow of the game was a typical playoff game. Teams traded scores back and forth right until the end. The Prater kick probably should have been a punt but can't knock Fox for going for it.

I think two main things hurt Denver - inability to cover Ravens WRs and Mannings three TOs. Really with two special team scores, Denver should have won in a blowout.

Agents do not act independently of the players they represent. Woodson did not want to let Denver know.

18 things? That is interesting. I think the ebb and flow of the game was a typical playoff game. Teams traded scores back and forth right until the end. The Prater kick probably should have been a punt but can't knock Fox for going for it.

I think two main things hurt Denver - inability to cover Ravens WRs and Mannings three TOs. Really with two special team scores, Denver should have won in a blowout.

I posted said article at the time and it was a good list,* u copuld check them off after the game too as article did  I dont remember any if it , may have been 15, may have been 20, i somehow remember 18 but thats also Peytons #  so maybe was 15 or 20

anyway I f gone now for awhile

Defense was a total let down 

Agents do not act independently of the players they represent. Woodson did not want to let Denver know.

wonder what Doomas agernt then did, he apoperaed independent & incompetent & thus fired

but again who knows

I'm amazed at this decision...

With maybe 1 year left in his career.....Charles chose to go to a team that could finish fourth in a four-team division and has almost no chance to finish first...

There must be off-the-field considerations..his love for Oakland and old pals there...

The Broncos were seemed to be clearing cap money to acquire him....

He'd have started in the same secondary with Champ Bailey...

I admit I dont get this decision...

I'm not going to judge the man harshly for this decision. He is, after-all, going "home" again. If it were an old Colt doing this we'd all him a hero. I read that he owns a winery in the area, so he probably intends to stay there after retirement. For all we know he'll go right into coaching with them.

And he's not only getting more money on the contract, but the team is so weak the odds of him lasting for more than a year are dramatically higher than they would be in Denver - which already has players they like including one coming back from the IR. He would be an expensive roll player - maybe even have to play special teams.

The fact that Denver is a contender for the Super Bowl is nice, but if you don't make it out of training camp that's small consolation. It sounds like a smart decision to me.

I would surmise that they offered him the most money. He certainly isn't going there to win a ring there. Perhaps playing against Manning twice a year also played a part...

Hey amfootball, 

I don't blame Woodson for leaving the NFC for AFC again. For my money, the AFC has tougher competition. Aside from the Giants, Seahawks, Saints, & Packers, the NFC makes me yawn personally. 

Hey amfootball, 

I don't blame Woodson for leaving the NFC for AFC again. For my money, the AFC has tougher competition. Aside from the Giants, Seahawks, Saints, & Packers, the NFC makes me yawn personally. 

Yeah, I think the AFC is right there now with the NFC. You have the young teams like the Colts, Bengals, and Fins to go along with the top teams, Pats, Ravens, Broncos, Texans. I am interested to see what the Browns do this year. I think they can make things interesting in the North. Same with the Chiefs in the West.

Hey amfootball, 

I'm amazed at this decision...

With maybe 1 year left in his career.....Charles chose to go to a team that could finish fourth in a four-team division and has almost no chance to finish first...

There must be off-the-field considerations..his love for Oakland and old pals there...

The Broncos were seemed to be clearing cap money to acquire him....

He'd have started in the same secondary with Champ Bailey...

I admit I dont get this decision...

Yeah, I think the AFC is right there now with the NFC. You have the young teams like the Colts, Bengals, and Fins to go along with the top teams, Pats, Ravens, Broncos, Texans. I am interested to see what the Browns do this year. I think they can make things interesting in the North. Same with the Chiefs in the West.

Mikee I Mike in video say should of gone to Broncos

also is long article

Excerpt

Charles Woodson had gotten word that Oakland fans had mobilized through social media to hold a rally at his free-agent visit to the Raiders.

Even Woodson was blown away by the reception, which included more than a hundred fans decked out in Raiders gear and costumes waiting at the team facility for his arrival Tuesday.

"It was overwhelming," he said Wednesday. "I think that if at any time I'd ever forgotten what the love was like in Oakland, I was definitely reminded yesterday."

The love from the fans, the belief in general manager Reggie McKenzie's rebuilding project and a one-year contract worth up to $4.3 million all led to Woodson's decision to return to his original team seven years after leaving as a free agent for Green Bay.

"I was actually scared of leaving the facility and not having a deal done," he said. "I don't know if I would have made it out of there. But that was a big deal, and receiving that kind of welcome, it definitely put me in a mindset that it would be a good decision to make it happen

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9303207/charles-woodson-overwhelmed-oakland-raiders-fans&ex_cid=MyESPNToday_Team

Meanwhile Broncos players were in droves asking him to sign  too

late for Dr, bye

Mikee I Mike in video say should of gone to Broncos

Why? Not every player makes a decision based on the chances or perceived chance at winning the SB. Woodson has a ring AND Oakland offered him more money. It is also where he began his career and he likes what the team is doing from a rebuilding perceptive. Also, he may get more playing time on the Raiders as well. I also think like I said before that Elway is not the best communicator when it comes to players. I think this may have factored in as well...

Not sure Oakland gets it completely turned around, or that their moves truly manifest on the field this next season, but if Flynn pans out to be a decent to good QB, I can see Oakland making strides and shedding the perrenial bottom feeder they've been ...

Just my 2 cents, but it seems like they've made less poor decisions as of late...

Why? Not every player makes a decision based on the chances or perceived chance at winning the SB. Woodson has a ring AND Oakland offered him more money. It is also where he began his career and he likes what the team is doing from a rebuilding perceptive. Also, he may get more playing time on the Raiders as well. I also think like I said before that Elway is not the best communicator when it comes to players. I think this may have factored in as well...

really dont think Elway had anything to do with it, if he really wanted to go for a ring go to Broncos, money diference was not much 

If he loved living in Oakland  in past and fans showed they loved him , he said when he left the other day got goose bumps about living in the city again before was offered the contract  & the fans he loved, that may have meant alot more than moving to a brand new city, Elway told him he is wanted, peyton, champ , many bronco players and fans told him personally and twittered

in Oakland he also has a better chance of getting a second year for lack of competition if he can do a decent job, while Broncos might draft that positron and not ask him to stay another year as have many older  players already

whatever his reason , only he really knows, great player i loved as then i could still sit at a stadium relatively pain fee and saw him at U of M and u know how i think about peyton, well back than i was happy as sh.... t that he beat peyton for the Heisman, just so u know i have great memories of him and just wanted him with peyton and thought he could play a limited but quality time for the team and help the defense with leadership at DB positions along side Champ , , just a litle different perspective from another hall of famer

really dont think Elway had anything to do with it, if he really wanted to go for a ring go to Broncos, money diference was not much 

If he loved living in Oakland  in past and fans showed they loved him , he said when he left the other day got goose bumps about living in the city again before was offered the contract  & the fans he loved, that may have meant alot more than moving to a brand new city, Elway told him he is wanted, peyton, champ , many bronco players and fans told him personally and twittered

in Oakland he also has a better chance of getting a second year for lack of competition if he can do a decent job, while Broncos might draft that positron and not ask him to stay another year as have many older  players already

whatever his reason , only he really knows, great player i loved as then i could still sit at a stadium relatively pain fee and saw him at U of M and u know how i think about peyton, well back than i was happy as sh.... t that he beat peyton for the Heisman, just so u know i have great memories of him and just wanted him with peyton and thought he could play a limited but quality time for the team and help the defense with leadership at DB positions along side Champ , , just a litle different perspective from another hall of famer

I hear ya on wanting to see Manning and Woodson team up. For sure it would have made Denver that more formidable in the secondary with Woodson back there. My only point was that there are a myraid of factors as to why a player would choose a perennial bottom feeder like Oakland over the contending Broncos.

I hear ya on wanting to see Manning and Woodson team up. For sure it would have made Denver that more formidable in the secondary with Woodson back there. My only point was that there are a myraid of factors as to why a player would choose a perennial bottom feeder like Oakland over the contending Broncos.

Point Taken