Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Who will start at left guard next year Donald Thomas or Mike McGlynn?

ColtsBTM12

This is a question I have been asking myself recently, who will start at left guard Donald Thomas or Mike McGlynn? Through what I have read it seems like Hugh Thornton is the guy Chuck Pagano and Ryan Grigson see at right guard and left guard seems uncertain right now. I am also wondering about center. Samson Satele hasn't shown the ability to stay healthy and I am curious if the starter may be Khaled Holmes. Anyway I would like to see what everyone else thinks.

This is a question I have been asking myself recently, who will start at left guard Donald Thomas or Mike McGlynn? Through what I have read it seems like Hugh Thornton is the guy Chuck Pagano and Ryan Grigson see at right guard and left guard seems uncertain right now. I am also wondering about center. Samson Satele hasn't shown the ability to stay healthy and I am curious if the starter may be Khaled Holmes. Anyway I would like to see what everyone else thinks.

I think Thomas starting at LG is pretty much a certainty but I have no idea about center. I hope it's Holmes but I think it will probably be Satele.

If all goes well the Colts could have a pretty decent O-line next year however injuries almost always play a factor. Last year was ugly. I can tell they are trying to build a big powerful run blocking type line for 2013.

i think you meant THIS year.. it's year 2013 and the nfl season upon us is season 2013..

btw, thomas is a lock to start at LG, with thornton and mcglynn battling for starting RG..

I think D.Thomas gets the start, but i think McGlynn's days are number here in Indy. I've been watching the off-season's photos, and i see Justin Anderson, and Robert Griffin(G), getting alot of reps at that guard spot, more than i've seen McGlynn. I think MM goes to a reserve role for backup C/G, behind these two...Justin "Bean" Anderson is a mauler. 6'5, 340....massive. R.Griffin is 6'6 330, and a monster....

Thomas is the LG. I believe he is the best athlete of the OL. McGlynn does not play LG. McGlynn last year played RG and C. If Satele is injured McGlynn will probably move to C if he is still on the roster. Holmes is smart but may not be ready to take the C spot for a year. Preseason will determine a lot.

I think D.Thomas gets the start, but i think McGlynn's days are number here in Indy. I've been watching the off-season's photos, and i see Justin Anderson, and Robert Griffin(G), getting alot of reps at that guard spot, more than i've seen McGlynn. I think MM goes to a reserve role for backup C/G, behind these two...Justin "Bean" Anderson is a mauler. 6'5, 340....massive. R.Griffin is 6'6 330, and a monster....

Agreed, I'm excited to see Griffin and Anderson in the Pre-season. Anderson is working at RT it seems but can also play guard in a pinch. I want to root for Ijalana, but he's going to have an uphill battle to impress.

I can only hope McGlynn's behind is firmly planted on the bench for the duration. 

My hopes are that McAwful is playing regularly...........for Houston, Tennessee, or Jacksonville :)

To question:  Thomas was signed specifically to play left guard for the Colts.  Barring any 'meltdowns' or injuries during pre-season that is where he will be.  Hugh Thornton is already better than McGlass....I am hoping we have someone on the roster other than 'he' that can play center if/when Satele and Holmes get injured...again.

That said, a 'healthy' Joe Reitz is a much better than a Seth Olsen as a backup.....by far.  The line appears a little bit better...Ya Think?  :)

McGlynn was one of the worst guards in the league, and during too many plays he was 5 yards in the backfield beside andrew luck. Thomas will start at left guard and Thornton at right.

My hopes are that McAwful is playing regularly...........for Houston, Tennessee, or Jacksonville :)

To question:  Thomas was signed specifically to play left guard for the Colts.  Barring any 'meltdowns' or injuries during pre-season that is where he will be.  Hugh Thornton is already better than McGlass....I am hoping we have someone on the roster other than 'he' that can play center if/when Satele and Holmes get injured...again.

That said, a 'healthy' Joe Reitz is a much better than a Seth Olsen as a backup.....by far.  The line appears a little bit better...Ya Think?   :)

Couldn't have said it better.

And really, this is one of the instances of being called ''nasty''. I want nasty. After watching the Colts line the past several years, I crave nasty. But McGlynn came in with people saying he's ''nasty''. If he was nasty, it was 3 yds deep in the backfield more times than not. Here's hoping Thomas is the real thing.

And really, this is one of the instances of being called ''nasty''. I want nasty. After watching the Colts line the past several years, I crave nasty. But McGlynn came in with people saying he's ''nasty''. If he was nasty, it was 3 yds deep in the backfield more times than not. Here's hoping Thomas is the real thing.

Yep...I kept hearin the mean streak 'stuff.'  I would me sad and mean both if I was planted on my fat 'bootie'  in the backfield!!!gangsta.gif

Don't forget Reitz.  He was our 2nd best OL (not saying too much) last year, but only played 8 games.  Heard some rumors he was working at RG in the off-season; however, it seems like they might just be trying to enhance his value as a back-up by working him at both OG spots.  The way it seems like it'll wash our to me is Thomas and Thornton at LG and RG, respectively.  Reitz will be the backup LG/1st OG off the bench, and the RG backup will come to a competition between Justin Anderson and Mike McGlynn.  Anderson would probably hold the edge on versatility since he can play RT (OT depth is otherwise abyssmal), but McGlynn holds the edge on health (16 game starter). 

I expect left guard to be between Thomas and Reitz.  I think McGlynn will be a swingman backup center/guard once Satele is cut.

I would rather have Satele on the roster than McGlynn....keep him one more year....need a veteran center.  (This from the Shipley camp :))

I dont think THomas is competing with Mcglyn. Thomas is competing with Joe Reitz and i think the team signed him to be the starting LG.

I think Mcglynn is competing with Thornton and i dont think the team is giving Thornton the spot just yet. i think there will be competition but like many, hope the rookie wins it.

Are you serious LOL

I expect it to be Thomas but thats assuming he learns the playbook fast,

Since it's a new playbook for everyone,  why does Thomas have to learn it faster than anyone else??

And since he's a better player than last year's starters,  shouldn't he have little trouble unseating whoever was the starter last year?

Note:   Just noticed someone else pointed out the same thing I did.   And I see you've read that....

Sorry for the duplication.....