Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The Great Roger Carr

unitaswestand

I watched them play quite a lot, Bert and Roger...I always thought of Bert Jones as a great QB who had too short a career.

I do not toss the word 'great' around very easily.  I would describe Roger Carr as a VERY good receiver...Bert was the 'great'.

Great memories guys, and you all have great memories to remember all of this as well. The offense was well balanced with Mitchell running behind RT George Kunz (All-Pro) and G Robert Pratt, with Ken Mendenhall at C (very underrated but whom actually ate up Jack Lambert in the '76 play-off game). Bert Jones to Roger Carr was the most feared passing combo of the day (along with the Raiders combo of Ken Stabler to Cliff Branch). Chester at TE was as good as any. The defense was as everyone remembered, front loaded. The Sack Pack with Dutton, Barnes, Ehrman and Cook were tremendous. Not much at LB except for Stan White. DBs were always the issue, despite having a front four that could rush the passer, we gave up a lot of big plays (i.e. Ghost to the Post in OT in '77 vs. the Raiders). Great teams and great memories.

Great memories guys, and you all have great memories to remember all of this as well. The offense was well balanced with Mitchell running behind RT George Kunz (All-Pro) and G Robert Pratt, with Ken Mendenhall at C (very underrated but whom actually ate up Jack Lambert in the '76 play-off game). Bert Jones to Roger Carr was the most feared passing combo of the day (along with the Raiders combo of Ken Stabler to Cliff Branch). Chester at TE was as good as any. The defense was as everyone remembered, front loaded. The Sack Pack with Dutton, Barnes, Ehrman and Cook were tremendous. Not much at LB except for Stan White. DBs were always the issue, despite having a front four that could rush the passer, we gave up a lot of big plays (i.e. Ghost to the Post in OT in '77 vs. the Raiders). Great teams and great memories.

Speaking of memory, I'm trying to remember (without resorting to cheating) who was the great tight end that I'm assuming led the Raiders to let Chester go in the first place. Dave something maybe? A key vet piece to that offense that the Colts were lucky to be able to get.

Loved those teams, Lydell Mitchell was sick could do it all, Would love to have that OL none. Carr was great, Bert what can you say just wanted to win SOOOOOOOO competitive!! Fred Cook was a mean dude I remember he would not sack QBS he would annihilate them. I remember one sack after the tackle he got up an kicked the QB on the ground!! Love Bruce Laird & White, Muncie Norm Thompson. so good and fun to watch was this team, the only negative was Pittsburgh, Oakland, & Houston where soooo good, what epic battles!!