Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Does anybody on here like the Cowboys too?

Iron Colt

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To the ones who hate them, may I ask why you hate them and not a team like the Steelers? They have won 6 superbowls and always seem to get help from the zebras to do it. Their fanbase is also way more obnoxious and arrogant than Dallas' or anyone else' for that matter.

Also, do you also hate America, mom or apple pie? ;)

So good that they havent sniffed the playoffs since when`???

& so good at drafting that you draft a WR that has to have full time baby sitters so he doesnt get into trouble...

awesome...

Not his fault, they're talented enough to win a Super Bowl. And so what? He played at an elite level last season.

I know you hate them, but your bias clouds the reason.

I work with a big Cowboy fan and he says Dez Bryant is the top fantasy WR this year and this is Romos year to end the jinx and bring home a SB ring. And he's serious.

Well he's not far off about Bryant. He put up like 900 yards or something in the last 8 games of the season. I wouldn't take him over Calvin, but it's not unreasonable to think that he could be tops next season barring injury.

To the ones who hate them, may I ask why you hate them and not a team like the Steelers? They have won 6 superbowls and always seem to get help from the zebras to do it. Their fanbase is also way more obnoxious and arrogant than Dallas' or anyone else' for that matter.

No fan base is worse than the Cowboys. I live in the south and am surrounded by them. Here is my take. Most fan bases have many different personality types but Dallas only has one. Attention seekers. Just like the stunt you pulled with this thread on a Colts forum, that is typical for a cowboy fan. It is a "look at me, look at me, please look at me" attitude. I have football conversations with redskins, giants, packers and Steeler fans at my work, but I don't talk to the cowboy fans because they aren't interested in other teams or other players...the topic has to be on them. Also, they are the least knowledgable fans I come across and they have tons of female fans who can't name 3 players on the team but wear the cowboy gear and cups and mugs on their desk. It is a social thing. Btw, I find Steeler fans to be the most knowledgable of all fans where I live.

I root against Pittsburgh too because they've knocked the Colts out of the playoffs so often, the same way that I root against the Patriots because of the recent rivalry (both with the Colts and Mannings with Brady). However I have no problems with either organization. I actually like and respect their owners and am intrigued by both cities. More to the point, I can only think of one Steeler fan and zero Patriots fans that I've known personally in my entire life despite always living within 350 miles of both cities. Dallas is more than four times as far, in a part of the country (that I don't particularly like) that might as well be in a different country, yet Cowboys fans are ubiquitous here. And obnoxious. And lots of other big words. So in general, I have absolutely no idea what you are talking about regarding Steeler fans.

I'd love to slap whomever started that America's team nonsense. It's particularly ironic considering that you get the impression sometimes that many citizens of the state consider themselves Texans first, Americans second. If Texas secedes do the Cowboys have to move?

(And please tell me you're kidding about the "refs" comment.)

Actually now that I think about it, their annoyance factor seriously amped up when the "Dallas Cowboy cheerleaders" stepped of the football field an into pop culture. The start of an ugly trend. I even remember detesting the soap opera "Dallas" for crying out loud. The team's management has tried to keep one over-sized foot in the door ever since, and I've just as soon give it a good stomp and slam it shut.

I root against Pittsburgh too because they've knocked the Colts out of the playoffs so often, the same way that I root against the Patriots because of the recent rivalry (both with the Colts and Mannings with Brady). However I have no problems with either organization. I actually like and respect their owners and am intrigued by both cities. More to the point, I can only think of one Steeler fan and zero Patriots fans that I've known personally in my entire life despite always living within 350 miles of both cities. Dallas is more than four times as far, in a part of the country (that I don't particularly like) that might as well be in a different country, yet Cowboys fans are ubiquitous here. And obnoxious. And lots of other big words. So in general, I have absolutely no idea what you are talking about regarding Steeler fans.

I'd love to slap whomever started that America's team nonsense. It's particularly ironic considering that you get the impression sometimes that many citizens of the state consider themselves Texans first, Americans second. If Texas secedes do the Cowboys have to move?

Actually now that I think about it, their annoyance factor seriously amped up when the "Dallas Cowboy cheerleaders" stepped of the football field an into pop culture. The start of an ugly trend. I even remember detesting the soap opera "Dallas" for crying out loud. The team's management has tried to keep one over-sized foot in the door ever since, and I've just as soon give it a good stomp and slam it shut.

Well, the Cowboys are like the Yankees, the Lakers and Notre Dame. In fact, it was Steve Sabol who first said that the Cowboys are the Notre Dame of the NFL. The whole Americas team came about in the seventies because they captured peoples imagination. Was it the Star on the helmet? Captain America as their QB? Landry and Staubach being staunch christians? People getting sick to death of the Packers in the 1960's and this new Cowboy team finally challenging them? Winning so much and being on tv so much?

Probably all of the above. I dont really care who the owner or coach is, I root for the team. Colts and Cowboys!

Well, the Cowboys are like the Yankees, the Lakers and Notre Dame. In fact, it was Steve Sabol who first said that the Cowboys are the Notre Dame of the NFL. The whole Americas team came about in the seventies because they captured peoples imagination. Was it the Star on the helmet? Captain America as their QB? Landry and Staubach being staunch christians? People getting sick to death of the Packers in the 1960's and this new Cowboy team finally challenging them? Winning so much and being on tv so much?

Probably all of the above. I dont really care who the owner or coach is, I root for the team. Colts and Cowboys!

Posted · Hidden by Coltssouth, May 19, 2013 - duplicate post
Hidden by Coltssouth, May 19, 2013 - duplicate post

People like to say that but Jones is a darn good drafter.

They have never been accused of being devoid of talent that's for sure, he just has trouble getting the talent to meld as in coaching choices..When Parcell's was there they were on their way...Don't like them or hate them, and actually respect Jerry Jones because he isn't afraid to spend the money to win and tries realll hard...The thing in the NFL is if you don't have the right QB it really reduces your chances and getting 1 is all a matter of Luck..

Not his fault, they're talented enough to win a Super Bowl. And so what? He played at an elite level last season.

I know you hate them, but your bias clouds the reason.

Fair enough, I do dislike the Cowboys, but I basically dislike any team that doesn't rock a blue horseshoe on their helmet... However, I can respect teams & players for different reasons, but I just don't respect Jerry Jones, so if he did in fact have a decent draft or two, I would have a difficult time acknowledging it before it truly manifested itself on the field...

They have never been accused of being devoid of talent that's for sure, he just has trouble getting the talent to meld as in coaching choices..When Parcell's was there they were on their way...Don't like them or hate them, and actually respect Jerry Jones because he isn't afraid to spend the money to win and tries realll hard...The thing in the NFL is if you don't have the right QB it really reduces your chances and getting 1 is all a matter of Luck..

They're never devoid of talent but their talent is often heavily overrated and/or incredibly inconsistent.  Cowboys star players rarely seem to be good for more than two or three years before falling off.

People become fans for lots of different reasons - there is no right or wrong, and I'm certainly not trying to insult you personally because you root for the Cowboys. Don't even know you. However some choices CAN in SOME cases be reflective of a person's personality. Lets just say that lots of fans of local teams are poor sports as well, but they get lost in the crowd. If you REALLY want attention, you pick the most successful out of market team you can find and just start strutting. I don't see much similarity to Notre Dame fans -  an entirely different level of loyalty seemingly mandated from Rome.

I have no idea who you're calling "Captain America" , but that's clearly an inside Cowboy thing - not a reason people rooted for the team. Just reading that makes the hair stand up on my neck. I had no idea what any Cowboy's religion is, but I ASSURE you that being a "staunch Christian" wasn't relevant to ANY conversation in 1970's New Jersey. That assertion isn't doing much for my senses either. I'll stick with my earlier assertion. Try this from Wikipedia:

"During a game between the Cowboys and the Atlanta Falcons at the Cotton Bowl during the 1967 season,[2] the scantily clad, well-endowed Bubbles Cash, a stripper by profession, caused a tremendous stir in the crowd that turned to cheers when she walked down the staircase stands on the 50 yard line carrying cotton candy in each hand.[3] She became an instant public sensation in Dallas, and Cowboys General Manager Tex Schramm noted all of this. Understanding the importance of the entertainment industry to the Cowboys' profitability, Schramm was inspired to form a cheerleading squad dressed in similar fashion to Cash."

And so a silly public phenomena was born - ready made for 70's television. Then there is the silly helmet stars, and I vaguely remember hearing (repeatedly) that their was something about their uniforms that was particularly endearing to casual female fans (pausing to rub my eyes and wash my hands). In fact my wife is sitting right next to me and she just confirmed this unpleasantly, adding "When (she) was in college in the 70's women used to crowd around the TV in the dorm when the Cowboys were on." Add in winning the division and making it to the NFC championship game approximately 75% of the time from the late 60's to the early 80's (with a rebirth a few years later) and they could have had a Sikh QB and an Arabic coach waving an AK47 on the sidelines and they still would have been irresistible to every insecure casual fan who likes bright shiny objects. 

But once again, I didn't care about any of that back then. I respected Staubach, Morton, Dorsett, etc and that defense, and actively rooted for local product Drew Pearson. There were MANY match-ups where I preferred them - such as (ironically) against the Steelers. It's only their "new' obnoxious owner, the obnoxious Jimmy Jones, the incredibly obnoxious group from the 90's (by the way, I've come to like and enjoy Michael Irvin tremendously since then. He's hilarious.) and a further lifetime of dealing with their obnoxious fans that influences me. I really couldn't care one way or another about the current team (and as long as the Eagles have Vick I don't want the Cowboys to finish last). But at least as long as they are "down" their fans are considerably less annoying - and that is my SOLE interest in hoping that they don't do well.

One of Roger Staubachs nicknames was Captain America. Because of his service in vietnam, being the QB of 'Americas Team' and the fact that the comic book hero of the same name had the big star on his shield, just like the Cowboys had on their helmets.

Marvel Comics even came out with a 'Tom Landry and the Dallas Cowboys' comic book series. NFL films made a movie called Americas Team'

For those who demand to know who appointed them Americas Team, I guess you can say the NFL and other corporations sure didnt discourage it or object to it and they certainly helped to perpetuate it.

No.

But, I have found myself rooting for Romo at times. Poor guy.......really I don't care what anyone says. But, try being QB in that circus with that owner and that hype......ouch.

I actually think he seems like a decent guy and can be an underrated QB. It just always seems like a lost cause though for that organization. Maybe they will shock us one season but until then it's a lost cause lol.

I used to root for the Cowboys to beat the Steelers way back when every year it was Pittsburgh and Dallas...I lost all respect for that team when they did what they did to a great coach and person in Tom Landry...ever since then..I hope Dallas loses every game...

I try to "adopt" other teams, claiming I would be happy if they won it all if the Colts were not able to. I find that once it comes down to it, I can't be happy unless it's the Colts. I simply lose or gain hatred for other teams. That was a bit off topic...Long story short, no, I hate the Cowboys. One of my top hated teams.

I used to root for the Cowboys to beat the Steelers way back when every year it was Pittsburgh and Dallas...I lost all respect for that team when they did what they did to a great coach and person in Tom Landry...ever since then..I hope Dallas loses every game...

What is the correct way to fire a guy?

I like the cowboys. I actually think their dynasty era could have been the best of all time had Jimmy Johnson not left. A shame really. That team may have won 5 or 6 bowls. They were so good, so young.

Right now, I find Tony Romo to be a sympathetic figure. I root for him because I think he is a very good QB that plays on a dysfuntional team with below average coaching. I think they will have a tough time overtaking the Skins for years to come as long as RG is healthy.

Yes the reasons you listed is exactly why they became America's team. They sorta brought football to the masses too.

I watched a lot of Cowboy games in the 70's...Staubach was just fun to watch. They were great underdogs for TV too.

Personally I don't hate any team.

Well..maybe the colts over the years ;)

You call the guy in and have a meeting to inform him of his services not being needed..Not firing him by doing it through the media..Totally classless and ignorant.

Never heard that one. From what I found, jerry jones and tex schramm flew to Landry's house to tell him in person.

Never heard that one. From what I found, jerry jones and tex schramm flew to Landry's house to tell him in person.

From what I remember, Jones was quoted as saying when he became owner of the Cowboys, "I would have never bought the Cowboys without having Jimmy Johnson as coach". He even stated the he gave himself an F for the way he handled the situation.

There are conflicting reports on different sites and opinions, This is just the way I remember it...Some say it never happened, some say it did...But to treat a football legend like that, if true, it was wrong...

Like I said, I remember there was a great deal of turmoil caused by this, and most agreed that the way it was handled was wrong, especially to a coaching Legend like Tom Landry..

However, this is my opinion and thoughts having been around at the time it happened...I guess since there are conflicting reports, that we will never really know the entire truth..

But after this, I lost all respect for Mr Jones, and the Cowboys...and again...right or wrong, it is still how I felt back then, and how I still feel to this day.

anti-dallas-cowboys-logo_zpsd9b298e7.jpg

Maybe Jerry Jones was overwhelmed by the coachs animal magnatism or the way he rocked his suit with his cute lil hat & like a dentist just needed to free his self from temptation .. :rock: Just a thought ..

A dentist acted legally when he fired an assistant that he found attractive simply because he and his wife viewed the woman as a threat to their marriage, the all-male Iowa Supreme Court ruled Friday.

The court ruled 7-0 that bosses can fire employees they see as an "irresistible attraction," even if the employees have not engaged in flirtatious behavior or otherwise done anything wrong. Such firings may be unfair, but they are not unlawful discrimination under the Iowa Civil Rights Act because they are motivated by feelings and emotions, not gender, Justice Edward Mansfield wrote.

An attorney for Fort Dodge dentist James Knight said the decision, the first of its kind in Iowa, is a victory for family values because Knight fired Melissa Nelson in the interest of saving his marriage, not because she was a woman.