25 Texans Depriest

26 Packers Clinton Dix

27 Colts Olmou  CB

28 Falcons purifoy CB

29 Pats Thomas WR oregan

30 49ers coleman  WR

31 Seahawks Verett CB

32 Broncos- Jerrigan

Im not sure he is a first round Corner just from that alone (Keeping in mind I have not seen ever game of his career) He looks to not have alot of foot speed :27

He flashes ability to come up and play the run 1:07 (Ability at the Nickel right there)

He is overagressive at times with holding 1:17 (possibly do to lack of range to cover deep consistently?)

Gets turned around in coverage at times do to not getting his head turned around in time and compensates by holding

Not necessarily real good in Press Coverage (3:24...But not bad at it either)

Bites on double moves.....3:53 giving up inside position, he also held on the play)

He got caught watching the rb the whole time at 4:27

5:28 Shows his leaping ability to make a play on the ball which I like

5:56 Loose hips a problem?

6:40 shows run contain ability and strength and flashes ability to get off a block

6:57 shows awareness and presence of mind to keep his feet in bounds on a miscommunication by the wr and QB

7:25 shows his tenacity against a bigger WR in Buckner but also got beat to the inside again(which can be seen several times in this film)

7:49 Ok this is reallyyyyyy repetitive, got beat to the inside again and held because of it

8:12 Overaggresive the whole way because he looked to be thinking his man was going to the inside

8:36 Got beat to the inside but recovered nice to make a play on the ball

9:01 Got beat on a double move but again showed his leaping ability to bat the ball down while also getting his head turned around

9:37 good play recognition there to come up in Zone and jump the route

10:57 He got all turned around on that play

11:17 Beat bad on a double move

13:28 good job of making that wr stay inside not allowing him to get outside

Overall I think his best fit would be as a Nickel Corner in a Zone scheme, I have questions about his hip flexibility and play recognition skills as well as I would like to see him prove in press and I have questions about his foot speed, But he does show good leaping ability

Just 1 game of course and its far far to early to know for sure about anything but, Just some questions I have

With this thread existing, just remember that in August of 2012 - Logan Thomas, Robert Woods, Tyler Wilson and David Amerson were supposed to be battling for the 1st overall pick in 2013 while Eric Fisher was trying to make his case as a mid 2nd round pick. 

Just pointing that out...

With this thread existing, just remember that in August of 2012 - Logan Thomas, Robert Woods, Tyler Wilson and David Amerson were supposed to be battling for the 1st overall pick in 2013 while Eric Fisher was trying to make his case as a mid 2nd round pick. 

Just pointing that out...

Don't forget Barkley!

Overall I think his best fit would be as a Nickel Corner in a Zone scheme, I have questions about his hip flexibility and play recognition skills as well as I would like to see him prove in press

You never fail to make me laugh.

For what it's worth, Gavin,  Purifoy is a 1st round talent for both Kiper and McShay and both have him at Corner.

Also, I think Florida plays more man than zone coverage.

They might play more Man then Zone but I just dont see him having the speed or hip flexibility to keep up 1 on 1 in the NFL with better wr's. I also dont think he has a good feel for pass routes , There are instances in the video of him getting beat deep even though a couple of those plays the QB did not take advantage of it, also a few plays he looks late to react to a pass in his direction where he could have made a play on the ball (8:14 play is just 1 instance of that in my opinion), Im not saying he cant play Man, im just saying he can hit and tackle well and to me has the instincts to play in Zone or the ability to play Safety

They might play more Man then Zone but I just dont see him having the speed or hip flexibility to keep up 1 on 1 in the NFL with better wr's. I also dont think he has a good feel for pass routes , There are instances in the video of him getting beat deep even though a couple of those plays the QB did not take advantage of it, also a few plays he looks late to react to a pass in his direction where he could have made a play on the ball (8:14 play is just 1 instance of that in my opinion), Im not saying he cant play Man, im just saying he can hit and tackle well and to me has the instincts to play in Zone or the ability to play Safety

Again....   you see what he IS....    Scouts see what he can become.

That's why you shied away from projection players like Ansah and Hayden and Dion Jordan and countless others.    Your typical comment would be, "I want to see it on the field first."

Fine.    That's one approach.

But a good scout can project what an athlete should be able to become with good coaching.

That's why the Colts nabbed Werner to make him an OLB.    They believe he has the ability to become a very good one,  even thought he didn't do it in college.    Even though other scouts (perhaps most scouts)  didn't see it in him.   The Colts did.

Now,  are they right?    Or, are the rest of the scouts right?

Some teams are more like you.   They do not want to engage in projections.   They want proof on the game tape that a player can do what they will ask him to do in the NFL.    They don't want to project.

Other teams are more willing to trust their judgement and project that a player can do in the NFL what he hasn't demonstrated he could do in college.

A different approach.

Again....   you see what he IS....    Scouts see what he can become.

That's why you shied away from projection players like Ansah and Hayden and Dion Jordan and countless others.    Your typical comment would be, "I want to see it on the field first."

Fine.    That's one approach.

But a good scout can project what an athlete should be able to become with good coaching.

That's why the Colts nabbed Werner to make him an OLB.    They believe he has the ability to become a very good one,  even thought he didn't do it in college.    Even though other scouts (perhaps most scouts)  didn't see it in him.   The Colts did.

Now,  are they right?    Or, are the rest of the scouts right?

Some teams are more like you.   They do not want to engage in projections.   They want proof on the game tape that a player can do what they will ask him to do in the NFL.    They don't want to project.

Other teams are more willing to trust their judgement and project that a player can do in the NFL what he hasn't demonstrated he could do in college.

A different approach.

Werner showed traits that would lead some scouts and GM's to believe he could play as an OLB, Plus I think many seem to forget Werner can have the luxury of having his hand in the dirt to and not just a true stand up linebacker, He showed enough flexability to adjust in space (not elite in that category by any means, thats not what Im saying). He showed he has the strength to hold up in run contain. As for Ansah and Jordan-Physically they are both gifted athletes and could fit that role extremely well, especially Ansah, I expect both to be good players in the nfl soon if not immediately in Ansahs case since it appears he will likely be starting, Not so sure Jordan will start with Miami having Odrick and Wake, But as to my approach, Im not claiming its the right approach because in my opinion there is no exact right approach, you go with the guy you want whether he has the production to warrant that selection or not and you do it with no regrets, Just for me personally I want the production to go along with the tape but the tape is certainly there with all of those players if one knows what to look for or seeks out the knowledge on what to look for

Werner showed traits that would lead some scouts and GM's to believe he could play as an OLB, Plus I think many seem to forget Werner can have the luxury of having his hand in the dirt to and not just a true stand up linebacker, He showed enough flexability to adjust in space (not elite in that category by any means, thats not what Im saying). He showed he has the strength to hold up in run contain. As for Ansah and Jordan-Physically they are both gifted athletes and could fit that role extremely well, especially Ansah, I expect both to be good players in the nfl soon if not immediately in Ansahs case since it appears he will likely be starting, Not so sure Jordan will start with Miami having Odrick and Wake, But as to my approach, Im not claiming its the right approach because in my opinion there is no exact right approach, you go with the guy you want whether he has the production to warrant that selection or not and you do it with no regrets, Just for me personally I want the production to go along with the tape but the tape is certainly there with all of those players if one knows what to look for or seeks out the knowledge on what to look for

That's a very nice post for May 20th.

But 4 weeks ago,  your view was quite different.     I'm not talking about something specific,  but in general these were not your views a month ago just prior to the draft....

To each their own....

That's a very nice post for May 20th.

But 4 weeks ago,  your view was quite different.     I'm not talking about something specific,  but in general these were not your views a month ago just prior to the draft....

To each their own....

Enlighten me on what my views were back then, As best I can recall, I always said neither had the production to warrant a 1st round selection yet they did show excellent athletic traits that in time could lead them to be solid players, I still maintain it wont happen right away and that I would not have touched Ansah in the 1st anyway but with such a high draft status of a top 10 pick its very likely expected of BOTH them fair or not, There is a difference in expecting a player to be great because they have all of the abilities and a past history of production to warrant such lofty expectations and expecting a player to be great because of draft status but either way expectations are apparently extremely high for both of them. I didn't say I expect them to be great players right away because I dont and actually far from it, That I think would be very unfair to both of them even with there draft status and that they are both raw players but I expect to see flashes from them both of very good things to come

Enlighten me on what my views were back then, As best I can recall, I always said neither had the production to warrant a 1st round selection yet they did show excellent athletic traits that in time could lead them to be solid players, I still maintain it wont happen right away and that I would not have touched Ansah in the 1st anyway but with such a high draft status of a top 10 pick its very likely expected of BOTH them fair or not, There is a difference in expecting a player to be great because they have all of the abilities and a past history of production to warrant such lofty expectations and expecting a player to be great because of draft status but either way expectations are apparently extremely high for both of them. I didn't say I expect them to be great players right away because I dont and actually far from it, That I think would be very unfair to both of them even with there draft status and that they are both raw players but I expect to see flashes from them both of very good things to come

I think a month ago you were with most that Werner was a 4-3 DE.    I've not seen any reports that say there were a number of scouts and GM's that thought Werner would be a good OLB.   Almost everything I read said he was a 4-3 left DE.   Even the scout report that said he might be able to play OLB, emphasized he probably didn't have the athletic ability to play in that kind of space, but he could probably do it,  but that he would be a better 4-3 DE.

Ansah and Jordan you wanted no part of in the first round.   You didn't like either of them...   no production in college, so how were they going to produce in the NFL?     Very little on tape that showed what they have done.   The hard part was projecting what they might be able to do.    And you were very open with not liking that type of player.     You wanted to see it to believe it.

I'm not knocking you, Gavin.   Your view is hardly alone.   I'm sure there were GM's and Scouts who thought just as you did.

I'm just saying that in roughly a month I think your view of these players has changed.   That's my perception at least.

I think a month ago you were with most that Werner was a 4-3 DE.    I've not seen any reports that say there were a number of scouts and GM's that thought Werner would be a good OLB.   Almost everything I read said he was a 4-3 left DE.   Even the scout report that said he might be able to play OLB, emphasized he probably didn't have the athletic ability to play in that kind of space, but he could probably do it,  but that he would be a better 4-3 DE.

Ansah and Jordan you wanted no part of in the first round.   You didn't like either of them...   no production in college, so how were they going to produce in the NFL?     Very little on tape that showed what they have done.   The hard part was projecting what they might be able to do.    And you were very open with not liking that type of player.     You wanted to see it to believe it.

I'm not knocking you, Gavin.   Your view is hardly alone.   I'm sure there were GM's and Scouts who thought just as you did.

I'm just saying that in roughly a month I think your view of these players has changed.   That's my perception at least.

I was on the fence in regards to his flexability at one point yes but I know I mentioned that Pagano and Manusky would put him in the best situation to succeed, I also did say he showed flashes of being able to make plays in space , 2 plays show that well in my opinion:

2:04 and  2:20

I was on the fence in regards to his flexability at one point yes but I know I mentioned that Pagano and Manusky would put him in the best situation to succeed, I also did say he showed flashes of being able to make plays in space , 2 plays show that well in my opinion:

2:04 and  2:20

Right.    You mentioned Pagano and Manusky once we drafted him.    But I don't think you did before.

I think he was mostly off of everyone's radar on this website.   I think almost all of us thought of him as a 4-3 DE and not a fit for our system.

That changed on the first night of the draft.

Hey,  it changed my tune.    Again,  I'm not knocking you.   I'm only observing here......