Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

We should do a Colts Forum fantasy league this upcoming season

If I where to start a league, how much time would be required to run it?  Is it something I could start up, put in a password, give the password to everyone who wants to start a team on here via PM and maybe set up a date and time for the draft and that's it?

Would I necessarily need to be there for the draft even?  

It shouldn't take too much of your time..it basically runs itself...Once you form the league, and give everyone in your league the league name and password. Then talk with everyone and try to set a time where everyone would be there. If you yourself are running the league, I would advise you to be there for the draft, not only because then you don't have the computer auto pick your team, but also, if something glitches or was forgotten, or whatever, you, as Commish, will only have access to. That includes any possible league changes such as points for TD's by QB's etc...They have default rules, so if the people in your league are OK with them, then its already set up. You could also make someone a Co-Commish..not sure if it would be mentioned, you'd have to and, if you cannot possibly be there for the draft...you can go in to the site, and rank your players at any time up til very close to draft time. The computer will make your selection based upon the highest ranking of the player and by need..You will have a full roster, but it might not be who you want on your team..You can also make your own draft order ahead of time, or the computer will do that for you.

Personally, if you are running it, I would just stick with yahoo instead of NFL.com. Its more user friendly, at least in my opinion..

Then sit back, root for your players..(and the Colts of course), and the computer will add up all the points, determine the winner..post standings, playoff teams etc.

The draft more than likely be set up like the following..Lets say you have 4 teams..First round goes 1-2-3-4..then the 2nd round starts 4-3-2-1 3rd round 1-2-3-4 until all positions are filled..That way, since y'all are starting a new league, it doesn't favor the guy who gets lucky enough to win the draw and pick first each time...The draft is really fun...and important esp if you want to win..I would HIGHLY recommend that everyone be there. Circumstances happen, but you would be better off setting a draft order in case you can't be there..If not, you get best available at a position. Each pick is given like 1 minute time limit, so if you don't pick in that time, the next guy could jump ahead if prepared to. If there are a lot of people that didn't show, when their auto pick comes up, the computer picks very quickly...which will also make the time of the draft shorter..

Basically, if you're running the league, you may have to decide if a proposed trade is fair...For example...Team one wants to trade Donnie Avery to team 2 for Adrien Peterson and Andrew Luck...I know it sounds stupid, but if you have a team that never plays and never shows up, or gets mad and quits...they may do that for a friend knowing that they aren't going to be playing any more.

They set these up so that its so easy to do...I know you have a child coming (congrats by the way) and your time may be limited..but like set it up a weekend like 2-3 weeks before the season opener..at a time that is best suited for, as well as one that is convenient for as many other Owners as possible...

The draft is really fun...they have a window that opens like an hour before the time, and you can chat, etc, comment on people's picks, trash-talk...whatever..and you can watch the picks as they happen, and see them up on the board..Like say you're hoping your favorite player or one you really want isn't picked yet, and there are like 3 picks in front of you til then...You start to get excited..kinda like the real draft where you are hoping the Colts get this guy..or this one..

Its really easy, but feel free to ask me anything if you need help. I'm sure also that there are a lot of others too, that are experienced at playing and running a league that can assist you.

Hope this helped somewhat..

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It shouldn't take too much of your time..it basically runs itself...Once you form the league, and give everyone in your league the league name and password. Then talk with everyone and try to set a time where everyone would be there. If you yourself are running the league, I would advise you to be there for the draft, not only because then you don't have the computer auto pick your team, but also, if something glitches or was forgotten, or whatever, you, as Commish, will only have access to. That includes any possible league changes such as points for TD's by QB's etc...They have default rules, so if the people in your league are OK with them, then its already set up. You could also make someone a Co-Commish..not sure if it would be mentioned, you'd have to and, if you cannot possibly be there for the draft...you can go in to the site, and rank your players at any time up til very close to draft time. The computer will make your selection based upon the highest ranking of the player and by need..You will have a full roster, but it might not be who you want on your team..You can also make your own draft order ahead of time, or the computer will do that for you.

Personally, if you are running it, I would just stick with yahoo instead of NFL.com. Its more user friendly, at least in my opinion..

Then sit back, root for your players..(and the Colts of course), and the computer will add up all the points, determine the winner..post standings, playoff teams etc.

The draft more than likely be set up like the following..Lets say you have 4 teams..First round goes 1-2-3-4..then the 2nd round starts 4-3-2-1 3rd round 1-2-3-4 until all positions are filled..That way, since y'all are starting a new league, it doesn't favor the guy who gets lucky enough to win the draw and pick first each time...The draft is really fun...and important esp if you want to win..I would HIGHLY recommend that everyone be there. Circumstances happen, but you would be better off setting a draft order in case you can't be there..If not, you get best available at a position. Each pick is given like 1 minute time limit, so if you don't pick in that time, the next guy could jump ahead if prepared to. If there are a lot of people that didn't show, when their auto pick comes up, the computer picks very quickly...which will also make the time of the draft shorter..

Basically, if you're running the league, you may have to decide if a proposed trade is fair...For example...Team one wants to trade Donnie Avery to team 2 for Adrien Peterson and Andrew Luck...I know it sounds stupid, but if you have a team that never plays and never shows up, or gets mad and quits...they may do that for a friend knowing that they aren't going to be playing any more.

They set these up so that its so easy to do...I know you have a child coming (congrats by the way) and your time may be limited..but like set it up a weekend like 2-3 weeks before the season opener..at a time that is best suited for, as well as one that is convenient for as many other Owners as possible...

The draft is really fun...they have a window that opens like an hour before the time, and you can chat, etc, comment on people's picks, trash-talk...whatever..and you can watch the picks as they happen, and see them up on the board..Like say you're hoping your favorite player or one you really want isn't picked yet, and there are like 3 picks in front of you til then...You start to get excited..kinda like the real draft where you are hoping the Colts get this guy..or this one..

Its really easy, but feel free to ask me anything if you need help. I'm sure also that there are a lot of others too, that are experienced at playing and running a league that can assist you.

Hope this helped somewhat..

Thanks I may make an attempt to do it.  What is the limit on the league size on Yahoo?

Probably will set up a co-commish thing with someone who's interested.  

How does it determine draft order?  Random chance or do I set up to the draft order?

I did a few drafts on another site that someone gave me so I have some familiarity with how that works.  

Thanks I may make an attempt to do it.  What is the limit on the league size on Yahoo?

Probably will set up a co-commish thing with someone who's interested.  

How does it determine draft order?  Random chance or do I set up to the draft order?

I did a few drafts on another site that someone gave me so I have some familiarity with how that works.  

Each site is different..you'll have to read the rules and such when it becomes available...then its up to you and your players in the league..

I love your rotating Super Man , where did you get that?

I taught myself how to use Blender (3d modeling software) and made it.  I've also taught myself how to forget how to use Blender (so I can't re-make it if I lose the file), lol.

Chad72 never got back to me about running the league.  

I think you meant CroatianColtsFan, since I never recollect a PM or message from you. :)

But of course, I am in the forefront because I wanted nothing to do with extreme noobies :).

Here is my advice though. Dont let a league be lower than 8 players or higher than 12 players, that keeps the balance of players available on waivers and a somewhat competitive league. 8, 10, or 12 player leagues are normally the ones I have enjoyed.

Ask for the ones who will be committed the most and give them one last chance for an out if they can't commit to maintaining their roster week in and week out. When given the chance, one or two will drop out. Then, assess it if you have an even number of committed players. Set the playoffs for half the league as a general rule of thumb. 8 players - 4 playoff teams with playoffs starting week 15 and ending week 16, 10 players - 5 playoff teams with a bye for the top team in week 14, 12 players - 6 playoff teams with a bye for the top 2 in week 14, and complete the FF playoffs before week 17 of the league to reduce the resting starters in the last week affecting teams for the most part.

• 3 weeks later...

Think i may set this up if someone hasn't already? 

Anyone care to help with a list of names and i'll set it up within a day.

There already are 2 leagues...    contact Andy if you are interested...     But I think they are filled.

There already are 2 leagues...    contact Andy if you are interested...     But I think they are filled.

Yeah I already have and they have filled up, filled up like the day i joined the forums so didn't get chance. But there are still more people who aren't in Andy's but are interested still i believe.

I have just started up the league, set it up to be 20 max ( the limit) and valpo is my co commisioner. Either me or Valpo will pm you within the next few days if you have posted that you are interested to see if you are still interested. 

20 teams! HOLY CRAP!!! You all are gonna have to have players in your starting lineup that may not even play with that many teams in a draft.

Well fill up the first one then when that is full make another one.

Good idea. Remember, this is about having fun with board members and drafting familiar players. Save the 20 team league junk to the hardcore fantasy players. 10-12 team leagues are good. 8 team leagues are just ridiculous with the amount of depth a team can have. Regardless, I am in too many leagues as it is right now but, if you all need fantasy advice or help setting up leagues I suppose I could lend a hand. Just PM me and we can work something out.