Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Titus Young has brain disorder, his Dad says

chad72

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9273307/titus-young-disorder-needs-help-dad-says

In a way, I feel bad for the young man and I definitely think he needs help.

anyone arrested 3 times in a week while hoping to make aN NFL rooster we already new he had some type of mental, issues, only explanation

From article

In the interview with The News, he said he could not remember the name of the disorder his son suffers from but said it is caused when the brain is compressed into the front of a person's skull. He claims his son changed after suffering a concussion in 2011, his rookie season. The Lions did not list the receiver as suffering a concussion, however.

That is a concussion for sure if it did happen

I find it VERY AMUSING :funny: , that his Dad, and other American's, are so quick to come to his rescue, by putting a medical label on youthful rebellion. Are we really gonna' fill this "Balloon" of a thread, with hot helium gas, and justify why he simply can't obey authority?...If so, i refuse to participate, other than what i've submitted. The chart, or ratings, that make up his System Of Value's, needs to be corrected, and updated. I don't care if he's having an identity crisis, this issue, is as shallow as the kiddy pool at an apartment complex....

He can do what ever he wants if he quits the NFL...

His problems are his...fortunately he has a little money and the NFL will help him with a disability..

But I would suggest his problems cannot be helped by continuing to play (or try to play) in the NFL...

I find it VERY AMUSING :funny: , that his Dad, and other American's, are so quick to come to his rescue, by putting a medical label on youthful rebellion. Are we really gonna' fill this "Balloon" of a thread, with hot helium gas, and justify why he simply can't obey authority?...If so, i refuse to participate, other than what i've submitted. The chart, or ratings, that make up his System Of Value's, needs to be corrected, and updated. I don't care if he's having an identity crisis, this issue, is as shallow as the kiddy pool at an apartment complex....

I don't know if there's a medical cause in this case (though there's certainly an existential argument that there's a medical cause for everything), but your unwillingness to accept the possibility that there are legitimate physiological explanations for behavior is borderline disturbing.  It actually seems tantamount to thinking you can simply "beat the gay" out of your child and other archaic lines of behavior modification.

I don't know if there's a medical cause in this case (though there's certainly an existential argument that there's a medical cause for everything), but your unwillingness to accept the possibility that there are legitimate physiological explanations for behavior is borderline disturbing.  It actually seems tantamount to thinking you can simply "beat the gay" out of your child and other archaic lines of behavior modification.

The unwillingness to accept the possibility that there may be a legitimate psychological explanation is part of the problem our society has when it comes to mental health in this nation. This unwillingness to even ponder the thought leads people are suffering some form of mental illness from coming forward and getting the treatment simply because people will not even think they are actually sick.

Accepting that there may be a mental issue here is not condoning Titus's actions.  It is about understanding things and punishing accordingly.  My wife works with a lot of kids who have various issues and with a lot of them they are like night and day when they are on their medicine or off of it.  

If he really does have a mental disorder I hope he finds some treatment and gets it under control.

Unfortunately, erratic/disturbing behavior is an all too common side effect of concussions/repeated head trauma. I've seen it happen in ex-players and boxers too frequently to list them all. I don't know Titus Young from the time he was a child until now to know if that's the case, but I sincerely hope he doesn't meet the same tragic end that we've seen other ex-athletes meet as a result. 

I know it's the easy thing to do to rag on a guy for being a knucklehead and laugh it up, but by all outward appearances, the dude really does need some sort of help.

They do need to look into any medical possibilities, and ASAP: for his and the public's safety.  Unfortunately, not everything is detectable and not everything detectable is reliably treatable..  Just the vast majority of issues. Hopefully he does have underlying issues that can be diagnosed and treated with success. Any other alternative does not appear to bode well for the future of this young man.

The unwillingness to accept the possibility that there may be a legitimate psychological explanation is part of the problem our society has when it comes to mental health in this nation. This unwillingness to even ponder the thought leads people are suffering some form of mental illness from coming forward and getting the treatment simply because people will not even think they are actually sick.

Accepting that there may be a mental issue here is not condoning Titus's actions. It is about understanding things and punishing accordingly. My wife works with a lot of kids who have various issues and with a lot of them they are like night and day when they are on their medicine or off of it.

If he really does have a mental disorder I hope he finds some treatment and gets it under control.

Some people are just that stupid though. And carry on like Young has without having any kind of disorder.

Until he is diagnosed either way its all just speculation.

"But your unwillingness to accept the possibility that there are legitimate physiological explanations for behavior is borderline disturbing."

Only to clarify my position.... :hmm:... :???: am i doing this anyway? It shouldn't be this intense. The fact that someone actually liked what you said reveals the other mental/psychological issues on this forum. Cliff note readers always arrive at the end destination, with good timing, yet with minimal understanding. Please read my post, again, and as many times as you need to. When did i dismiss the other millions of people on the planet who are suffering from some level of authentic mental/psychological challenges? My heart goes out to all those who suffer from these difficult challenges, however i refuse to digest or accept this disrespectful usage of an condition, or the label of it, to justify conscious decisions being made to participate in actions that are unlawful.....Im not a saint, nor did i use an medical label to justify what i've willing done in the past....that kind of thinking is weakening our society... :peek: ... :hide:

When did i dismiss the other millions of people on the planet who are suffering from some level of authentic mental/psychological challenges? 

When did I say you did?  I said you have an unwillingness to accept the possibility that there are legitimate physiological explanations for behavior.  In this case we're talking about Titus Young's behavior.

You know that cliff note readers always arrive at the end destination, with good timing, yet with minimal understanding.

If these are true, I'm surprised it didn't come up during the Combine or during physicals. I would imagine teams do full checks on all players at various points. You would think something like this would have been caught

I'm not sure. Do they check for bipolar disorder, or manic personality disorder, things of that nature, at the combine?

I'm not sure. Do they check for bipolar disorder, or manic personality disorder, things of that nature, at the combine?

I would assume they do some sort of mental health check.  But that's just me guessing.  And with concussions becoming such a big issue, I would assume teams are very careful about them and do tests to make sure players are in good mental condition.  However, that's all just guessing and speculation on my part

If these are true, I'm surprised it didn't come up during the Combine or during physicals.  I would imagine teams do full checks on all players at various points.  You would think something like this would have been caught

anyone arrested 3 times in a week while hoping to make aN NFL rooster we already new he had some type of mental, issues, only explanation

From article

In the interview with The News, he said he could not remember the name of the disorder his son suffers from but said it is caused when the brain is compressed into the front of a person's skull. He claims his son changed after suffering a concussion in 2011, his rookie season. The Lions did not list the receiver as suffering a concussion, however.

If that is the case, that it happened in his rookie season, it would not have come up at the combine or physicals.

If that is the case, that it happened in his rookie season, it would not have come up at the combine or physicals.

But then wouldn't the team also do it at various points during the year?  So they might do them before training camp, after the pre-season, during the bye week, etc.?

But then wouldn't the team also do it at various points during the year?  So they might do them before training camp, after the pre-season, during the bye week, etc.?

I couldn't say for sure if that goes on, but wouldn't doubt if it wasn't.

However, I'd guess it's a part of current discussions on the topic.

bayone, on 15 May 2013 - 10:30 AM, said:snapback.png

From article  chad72, on 15 May 2013 - 10:15 AM, said:

snapback.png

http://espn.go.com/n...s-help-dad-says

In a way, I feel bad for the young man and I definitely think he needs help.

In the interview with The News, he said he could not remember the name of the disorder his son suffers from but said it is caused when the brain is compressed into the front of a person's skull.

He claims his son changed after suffering a concussion in 2011, his rookie season. The Lions did not list the receiver as suffering a concussion, however.

what i was saying in part I highlighted above when that compression happens it causes a concussion , actually the brain taking a hit would rock inside the brain case and pending thge degree of impact against the skull , it gets compressed as put in this article i was quoting from posted by Chad

If indeed it did happen, behavioral changes can take hold as 1 result

=========================

wiki picture

230px-Concussion_mechanics.svg.png

The brain is surrounded by cerebrospinal fluid, which protects it from light trauma. More severe impacts, or the forces associated with rapid acceleration, may not be absorbed by this cushion.[14] Concussion may be caused by impact forces, in which the head strikes or is struck by something, or impulsive forces, in which the head moves without itself being subject to blunt trauma (for example, when the chest hits something and the head snaps forward).[5]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Concussion

oh i didnt answer your  comment

They would take a baseline MRI and other tests at start of NFL season at least or preseason , maybe even at combine or proday if any questions

anyway the baseline tests are repeated if any questions arise 

i Imagine such tests may if done today MAY & Say May show changes as sometimes behavioral changes occur without physical brian

damage see excerpt below  (( though all are considered types of trauma ) and I AM not sure, that is i honestly dont remember  how long specific behavior changes remain on baseline tests but probaly should show changes still, but again am unsure

Excerpt

It is not known whether the brain in concussion is structurally damaged or whether there is mainly a loss of function with only physiologicalchanges.[14] Cellular damage has reportedly been found in concussed brains, but it may have been due to artifacts from the studies.[15] It is now thought that structural and neuropsychiatric factors may both be responsible for the effects of concussion.[16]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Concussion

this is nice concusiion primer on football site

http://www.cdc.gov/concussion/HeadsUp/pdf/Football_Fact_Sheet_Coaches-a.pdf    very basic

CDC on concussions 

http://www.cdc.gov/Concussion/

sorry no time for more , have meetings this am

He needs help, bit it isn't for a made up brain disorder. This is all too often the out for people who do stupid stuff. Anyone can have a 'brain disorder.' It's like when a kid misbehaves, the doctors are quick to say ADD when half don't even actually know how to diagnose it. If being an * is a brain disorder, then maybe I'll accept he has one. I like how he says brain disorder but doesn't give what the diagnosis is, only days it was exacerbated by jumping on the concussion band wagon. The guy knows its wrong, knows not to assault police officers, he just chose not to care. Kid needs to take responsibility for his actions, not excuse them. I don't feel sorry for him at all. Show me an actual doctors diagnosis, maybe then I'll believe, albeit still skeptical.

He doesn't have a brain disorder, he's just really dumb. 

He needs help, bit it isn't for a made up brain disorder. This is all too often the out for people who do stupid stuff. Anyone can have a 'brain disorder.' It's like when a kid misbehaves, the doctors are quick to say ADD when half don't even actually know how to diagnose it. If being an * is a brain disorder, then maybe I'll accept he has one. I like how he says brain disorder but doesn't give what the diagnosis is, only days it was exacerbated by jumping on the concussion band wagon. The guy knows its wrong, knows not to assault police officers, he just chose not to care. Kid needs to take responsibility for his actions, not excuse them. I don't feel sorry for him at all. Show me an actual doctors diagnosis, maybe then I'll believe, albeit still skeptical.

If he can back up that statement about brain compression with objective testing then yes he had one but that's the if until he does,

once he goes to court its put up or shut up time

When did I say you did?  I said you have an unwillingness to accept the possibility that there are legitimate physiological explanations for behavior.  In this case we're talking about Titus Young's behavior.

You know that cliff note readers always arrive at the end destination, with good timing, yet with minimal understanding.

Cliff, you are amazing!....WOW.. :woah: ... O.o.... :nutz: .....When did you say? You don't even remember your post details from one to the next. The person in question here is Titus Young, NOT the other people in the world who are suffering with a condition beyond their control. "Unwillingness to accept the possibility that there are legitimate physiological explanations for behavior" is a statement of global proportions, and not just specific to Titus Young. Maybe your goal was to get me to respond after i said i didn't want to make this into something worth talking about...if it was, i'm glad i could accommodate, and entertain you for a few minutes, since the pre-season doesn't start for several months. In the case of Titus Young, for the last time, I vehemently reject the possibility of him having a brain disorder that caused him to want to go do unlawful things. How can you make a general statement like that, and think that people, on a global scale, have rejected the idea of psychological disorders? Im only talking about T.Young...but have fun with that... :slaphead: :HFire:

If he can back up that statement about brain compression with objective testing then yes he had one but that's the if until he does,

once he goes to court its put up or shut up time

Exactly. The titans never had him listed and he never say out, for a concussion.

It's all very magnanimous. but tell that to the father of his murdered wife and three children, when the judge says to the defendent, 'no prison for you sir, some counselling and a few tablets 3 times a day and we can all walk away feeling good about ourselves'...etc.

Clearly some poetic licence used, but you get my stance.