Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

DC Manusky: "Chapman working with the first unit"

MTC

We're talking the past three weeks of OTAs he been participating in with the vets, he isn't in the rookie minicamp

Voluntary for vets....surprised Harish is not there....Chapman too from above post if able to attend and participate.  See link....Wayne and Mathis are there.  This is not last year's Colts.  If it was voluntary...I would be there.

http://www.wishtv.com/dpp/sports/colts_and_nfl/week-3-of-colts-otas-continues

Edited by BrentMc11

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not that I know it matters, but I agree on your list for the most part.  I just want to point out that if cut, Tevaseau and Mathews are not guarantee a dollar, and McKinney is guaranteed 300K.....HMMMM does that matter in the overall picture?  It is not a ton of money, but what would you do....I think I go with whomever plays well and look at Big Mac's injury.....cut my losses and keep Tevaseu.....if we are keeping a NT....

Guy, Heard and Mathews can battle it out....????

At the end of the day I keep the best 53 guys(61 if you count PS) regardless of what they are making simply because if the best 53 are that good to begin with then Grigson would and should have full faith in knowing that he will be putting the best product for fans to see out on the field and in return those fans that see that product will wish to pay to see that product  because at the end of the day its about wins and losses, if wins are not happening chances are its because some of the players that you are putting out there have no business being out there starting(In most cases, in some cases its coaches who have no clue how to utilize the talent he has in my opinion, (Just because a coach has the title coach dont make him a good one)....300k or not if he stinks up the joint then he is gone (and I was not impressed with what little I saw from him last year, He drew double teams but did not hold his ground consistently in my opinion)

Grigson was so high on Chapman, that he drafted him, knowing he probably would not play last year.  This year his (money in the bank) choice pays off.  Colts have a real run stopper at NT. 

I'm hoping that Josh Chapman becomes our dominant version of NE's Vince Wilfork for INDY. Whatever comes his way, it simply comes to a screeching halt every single down. That's what I want to see out of a true road grader man. 

At the end of the day I keep the best 53 guys(61 if you count PS) regardless of what they are making simply because if the best 53 are that good to begin with then Grigson would and should have full faith in knowing that he will be putting the best product for fans to see out on the field and in return those fans that see that product will wish to pay to see that product  because at the end of the day its about wins and losses, if wins are not happening chances are its because some of the players that you are putting out there have no business being out there starting(In most cases, in some cases its coaches who have no clue how to utilize the talent he has in my opinion, (Just because a coach has the title coach dont make him a good one)....300k or not if he stinks up the joint then he is gone (and I was not impressed with what little I saw from him last year, He drew double teams but did not hold his ground consistently in my opinion)

I know we have discussed McKinney....I agree with what you say whether a lineman or a LB....and especially our secondary backups.....the best players in camp drills...who can also excel in Special Teams should make the team!!

I liked Guy better than Heard myself LAST year..  They will battle it out...

Is there anyway they keep one less lineman and Keep a Josh McNary?  Killeen....Harvey...Lutrus...

Secondary...Vaughn and Gordy need to go IMO.....

BrentMc11, on 11 May 2013 - 3:12 PM, said:

Voluntary for vets....surprised Harish is not there....Chapman too from above post if able to attend and participate. See link....Wayne and Mathis are there. This is not last year's Colts. If it was voluntary...I would be there.

http://www.wishtv.com/dpp/sports/colts_and_nfl/week-3-of-colts-otas-continues

Nice link here Brent. That's why I respect Mathis & Wayne so darn much. They are professionals at their craft & they understand that team chemistry starts long before the collisions happen in full fledged training camp.

Besides, I always like to see how Reggie Wayne shows up in camp. It was a hard hat in the past with an army unit. Will it be a beret special forces hat & a navy seals unit this year to quietly eliminate the competition 1 by 1? haha

Nice link here Brent. That's why I respect Mathis & Wayne so darn much. They are professionals at their craft & they understand that team chemistry starts long before the collisions happen in full fledged training camp.

Besides, I always like to see how Reggie Wayne shows up in camp. It was a hard hat in the past with an army unit. Will it be a beret special forces hat & a navy seals unit this year to quietly eliminate the competition 1 by 1? haha

Thank you, SW.....just gave a like in the Shipley thread,,,,I have the once in awhile like dilemma 

I honestly do not know why a second year vet like Harnish is not there unless it is personal (Other than Mother's Day of course )  Chapman may not be there because of injury....who knows (Supposedly Kevin Bowen said he was not according to Dunstin.)

I was lost for a little bit because so much attn was given to rookie camps, I think some of us...me for sure forgot the OTAs are going on.

Not that I know it matters, but I agree on your list for the most part.  I just want to point out that if cut, Tevaseau and Mathews are not guarantee a dollar, and McKinney is guaranteed 300K.....HMMMM does that matter in the overall picture?  It is not a ton of money, but what would you do....I think I go with whomever plays well and look at Big Mac's injury.....cut my losses and keep Tevaseu.....if we are keeping a NT....

McKinney has already received his $300k guaranteed, that was his signing bonus last year. It's not relevant this season. If he's not among the best 7 or 8 defensive linemen, he won't make the team. Releasing him before the start of the season would still save us $1m against the cap and in cash.

We're talking the past three weeks of OTAs he been participating in with the vets, he isn't in the rookie minicamp

Thanks....   that's what I thought....  but, the timing of the post in question made me wonder which?

Appreciate you clarifying that...        :thmup:

Thank you, SW.....just gave a like in the Shipley thread,,,,I have the once in awhile like dilemma 

I honestly do not know why a second year vet like Harnish is not there unless it is personal (Other than Mother's Day of course )  Chapman may not be there because of injury....who knows (Supposedly Kevin Bowen said he was not according to Dunstin.)

I was lost for a little bit because so much attn was given to rookie camps, I think some of us...me for sure forgot the OTAs are going on.

That's when I know the season has started your special teams and defensive line analysis cap goes on Brent. I enjoy that a great deal to be honest with ya. Chapman is seriously not well enough to start camp? Sigh...I trust Dustin, but if that's true, this is horrible news...I wanna Chapman in game action man...Yes, I know injuries are never on a smooth 1 size fits all timetable. 

Speaking of other threads, thanks for encouraging other fans to go to Colts.com. There's great stuff over there! I gotta get my butt over there more often too so thanks Brent for the friendly discipline lesson.  :hat:

McKinney has already received his $300k guaranteed, that was his signing bonus last year. It's not relevant this season. If he's not among the best 7 or 8 defensive linemen, he won't make the team. Releasing him before the start of the season would still save us $1m against the cap and in cash.

Thank you Sup.....He has spent his quota on real Big Macs :)  Although he is working out without knee braces, I believe he will have trouble breaking the 53 man roster anyway.  Thanks for the info.

That's when I know the season has started your special teams and defensive line analysis cap goes on Brent. I enjoy that a great deal to be honest with ya. Chapman is seriously not well enough to start camp? Sigh...I trust Dustin, but if that's true, this is horrible news...I wanna Chapman in game action man...Yes, I know injuries are never on a smooth 1 size fits all timetable. 

Speaking of other threads, thanks for encouraging other fans to go to Colts.com. There's great stuff over there! I gotta get my butt over there more often too so thanks Brent for the friendly discipline lesson.  :hat:

Thank you for the nice comments SW1/Brother

No...not saying Chapman is not well enough...who knows...Kevin Bowen said he was not there according to Dustin...The Colts may have said NO...who knows?

You know I love disguise and I love the 3-4.  Werner will be a GREAT player to disguise the "Raven Defense."

The Special Teams need continuous improvement...Last year we improved in the return game with Deji, and Pat Mac's punting was the best yet.  His kicks were not through the uprights as much....hurt us a couple of times on kickoffs.  Lefeged, Brown, Harvey and Hughes (Not a Bill not a Jerry  :spit: ) were solid on special teams....Hughes is gone, and Harvey may npt make the squad.

We got our start on Colts.com.  I continuously have seen great articles and the mailbag go un-noticed and more importantly to me not commented on.  Those were debates that would have been  :Nuke: by mods here....and should have been there,,,,but it was fun...and still can be.....Everybody  go to forums

Colts.comNews on the top...and join the debates and articles from Craig Kelley and Kevin Bowen...some great videos too.... :thmup:

PS:  Got a like back for ya!!!  :)

Here is a perfect example of good stuff over at Colts.com. 1st day OTA impressions. God, I love Pagano's power running mentality! Plus, it was nice to see him discuss giving walkons a legitimate shot to compete too. Heck, their own DC got a 12 year NFL career as well. I love Pagano's excitement. Even I fall into the complacency trap of a new season sometimes. It's nice to see that Chuck takes nothing for granted either. 

http://www.colts.com/media-center/videos/Coach_Pagano_We_threw_a_lot_at_these_guys/ebf6aa30-4382-42e1-bf11-f8eace02128f

Wait a minute!   Wait a minute!    Wait a minute!      Please wait!

There appears to be wires crossed somewhere.....

Kevin Bowen is reportedly saying Chapman is not at practice.    And now Dustin is echoing Bowen's comment.

OK...

Then how is it that our DC,  Greg Manusky,  is saying that Chapman is running with the 1's?!?    That implies he IS at practice.

Somewhere there's a miscommunication,  certainly a misunderstanding.....

I don't think anyone should be worried about Chapman unless there clear evidence that there's reason to.

Otherwise,  all you get is confusion.

And believe me,  I know all about confusion!    Anyone remember 36 hours ago when I posted the story saying the Colts were getting a 4th round pick for Shipley?!?!    Now THAT was confusion!!    Ahhhhhhhh!!!!     :panic:      :excited: 

Wait a minute!   Wait a minute!    Wait a minute!      Please wait!

Kevin Bowen is reportedly saying Chapman is not at practice.    And now Dustin is echoing Bowen's comment.

OK...

Then how is it that our DC,  Greg Manusky,  is saying that Chapman is running with the 1's?!?    That implies he IS at practice.

Somewhere there's a miscommunication,  certainly a misunderstanding.....

I don't think anyone should be worried about Chapman unless there clear evidence that there's reason to.

Otherwise,  all you get is confusion.

And believe me,  I know all about confusion!    Anyone remember 36 hours ago when I posted the story saying the Colts were getting a 4th round pick for Shipley?!?!    Now THAT was confusion!!    Ahhhhhhhh!!!!     :panic:      :excited: 

I just planted a garden...should say my wife did....I am corn-fused.

Kevin posted an article for the rookie camp...wondering if Kevin meant the rookie camp...that would make more sense.

Wait a minute! Wait a minute! Wait a minute! Please wait!

Kevin Bowen is reportedly saying Chapman is not at practice. And now Dustin is echoing Bowen's comment.

OK...

Then how is it that our DC, Greg Manusky, is saying that Chapman is running with the 1's?!? That implies he IS at practice.

Somewhere there's a miscommunication, certainly a misunderstanding.....

Otherwise, all you get is confusion.

And believe me, I know all about confusion! Anyone remember 36 hours ago when I posted the story saying the Colts were getting a 4th round pick for Shipley?!?! Now THAT was confusion!! Ahhhhhhhh!!!! :panic: :excited:

In case anyone is wondering, this is where he said that Chapman wasn't there:

http://forums.colts.com/index.php?/topic/18144-rookie-camp/#entry493249

It's a few spots up from the bottom.

OK then.....

Chapman is not at the rookie mini-camp because he was at the veterans OTA camp for 3 weeks leading up to it.

And Manusky's comment about Chapman running with the 1's is for the Veterans camp....

In short....

There is no reason, no need,  for any Colts fan to worry about Chapman.  He is with the team and looking fine!      

That is your daily dose of Zen.....    Ohmmmm!    Ohmmmm!     :thmup:

Thank you for the nice comments SW1/Brother

No...not saying Chapman is not well enough...who knows...Kevin Bowen said he was not there according to Dustin...The Colts may have said NO...who knows?

You know I love disguise and I love the 3-4.  Werner will be a GREAT player to disguise the "Raven Defense."

The Special Teams need continuous improvement...Last year we improved in the return game with Deji, and Pat Mac's punting was the best yet.  His kicks were not through the uprights as much....hurt us a couple of times on kickoffs.  Lefeged, Brown, Harvey and Hughes (Not a Bill not a Jerry  :spit: ) were solid on special teams....Hughes is gone, and Harvey may npt make the squad.

We got our start on Colts.com.  I continuously have seen great articles and the mailbag go un-noticed and more importantly to me not commented on.  Those were debates that would have been  :Nuke: by mods here....and should have been there,,,,but it was fun...and still can be.....Everybody  go to forums

Colts.comNews on the top...and join the debates and articles from Craig Kelley and Kevin Bowen...some great videos too.... :thmup:

PS:  Got a like back for ya!!!   :)

Point taken Brent. In fact, I'm gonna hang out at Colts.com for awhile today starting now. I enjoy the banter & wisdom of all my friends at the Forum & I will never leave it permanently, but you are exactly right. I need to go there 1st when I go online. Besides, I need to see via NCF's great suggestion if Grigs ever plans on doing a version of an INDY GM Corner anyway. I want this resource for all INDY fans. Like krunk, I read Polian's Corner every week. 1st stop Colts mailbag. 

Thanks Brent. I appreciate your feedback. Yes, we had our 1st debates over there & they were some compelling discussions. Lollygager8 knows what we are talking about. Just to echo Brent's suggestion, don't be afraid to explore colts.com everyone. You'll be glad you decided to kick the tires & go for a brief spin. Heck, I even explore the Texans, Patriots, & Broncos websites occasionally just to get out of my INDY comfort zone from time to time. 

Point taken Brent. In fact, I'm gonna hang out at Colts.com for awhile today starting now. I enjoy the banter & wisdom of all my friends at the Forum & I will never leave it permanently, but you are exactly right. I need to go there 1st when I go online. Besides, I need to see via NCF's great suggestion if Grigs ever plans on doing a version of an INDY GM Corner anyway. I want this resource for all INDY fans. Like krunk, I read Polian's Corner every week. 1st stop Colts mailbag.

Thanks Brent. I appreciate your feedback. Yes, we had our 1st debates over there & they were some compelling discussions. Lollygager8 knows what we are talking about. Just to echo Brent's suggestion, don't be afraid to explore colts.com everyone. You'll be glad you decided to kick the tires & go for a brief spin. Heck, I even explore the Texans, Patriots, & Broncos websites occasionally just to get out of my INDY comfort zone from time to time.

I have to reboot the pc and go take a shower after visiting those sites!

Well especially visiting the patriots board! Just makes me feel sooooo dirty, lol

I could not LIKE again!  I should start visiting boards....when I get bored...:)  I do not think I should...mods, please advise me on this  :thmup:  haha  :spit: !!!!!!!!

Agreed Brother someone you mentioned ,others left out was Maola,think he makes it as well good call :thmup: Most included him as well but IMO don't see how you can leave him out.Life is looking much deeper and IMO will be vastly improved.Im estatic Chapmans healthy :monkeydance:  :funny:

Hopefully they all stay reasonably healthy and we can have a good starter at NT with some good depth

Well, we should have a serviceable starter and backup at NT with Chapman, Franklin, McKinney, Tevaseu.

We probably keep 3 NTs.  McKinney may be odd man out a/c his injury...it would be nice to keep Chapman, McKinney, Tevaseu.

Well, we should have a serviceable starter and backup at NT with Chapman, Franklin, McKinney, Tevaseu.

We probably keep 3 NTs.  McKinney may be odd man out a/c his injury...it would be nice to keep Chapman, McKinney, Tevaseu.

I prefer Franklin, Chapman and Tevasue

Agreed Brother someone you mentioned ,others left out was Maola,think he makes it as well good call :thmup: Most included him as well but IMO don't see how you can leave him out.Life is looking much deeper and IMO will be vastly improved. I'm ecstatic Chapman s healthy :monkeydance:  :funny:

LIKE!  

I mentioned Moala only because he has a 1 year non guaranteed contract coming off a major injury...

I'm a huge Chapman fan....   he was my 2nd favorite draft pick last year behind Luck...   it demonstrated Grigson's patience, a virtue for a GM and most don't have it.

That said....

I wouldn't bet that he starts on defense in week 1.   Don't get me wrong -- he may.   I'm just not convinced yet that he will.

I think he'll start by the game after the bye week which I think comes around week 9.    So, hopefully he's good to start in the 2nd half of the season.    I'm expecting Franklin to get the starts to begin the season, with Chapman rotating in a fair amount.   That will increase as the season progresses,  and by the 2nd half of the season,  I think Chapman will start.

That's my hope anyway....

Just my opinion here....   no facts or anecdotes to back it up....

I'm a huge Chapman fan....   he was my 2nd favorite draft pick last year behind Luck...   it demonstrated Grigson's patience, a virtue for a GM and most don't have it.

That said....

I wouldn't bet that he starts on defense in week 1.   Don't get me wrong -- he may.   I'm just not convinced yet that he will.

I think he'll start by the game after the bye week which I think comes around week 9.    So, hopefully he's good to start in the 2nd half of the season.    I'm expecting Franklin to get the starts to begin the season, with Chapman rotating in a fair amount.   That will increase as the season progresses,  and by the 2nd half of the season,  I think Chapman will start.

That's my hope anyway....

Just my opinion here....   no facts or anecdotes to back it up....

Don't know if your assessment is correct or not,but what I do know is if we are healthy we have a very deep and formidable DL :rock:

no chapman is at the ota's but not rookie mini camp because he isn't a rookie

I don't understand why some people seem confused.

Chapman has been working with the first unit at veterans' off season activities that have been going on for 3 weeks or so.

He has nothing to do with the rookie mini camp that is a 3 day event which includes drafted and undrafted free agents plus about 13 or so try-outs. 

In my mind it is clear that there is no more question mark regarding Chapman's injury. He is healthy and participates fully in practice like any other player. He will be the starter at nose tackle unless he gest injured.

I think Hughes will be a DE. He is strong and fast.

As  far as who makes the team on D line is way too early but if the young guys play according to expectations I see either Franklin or McKinney gone. Heard will be also gone regardless.