Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

So If Painter Starts Mnf

Peyton>brady

Colts  

66 members have voted

1. 1. Are they a Top 10 Team in the NFL

I would want the team to do what is best for the team. Who do the coaches think gives us the best chance to win each Sunday? Is it Painter who has a quicker release and knows the playbook better or is it Collins who has the experience? Whether or not he has more time at the end of the year is based on if we get the first overall pick and can take Luck.

If painter is horrible then the best thing the colts can do is do some extensive evaluation on the team... cause by the time the team concedes that notion the season would be gone.

So Painter is the savior? I'm telling you this guy is a flop, he's proved it time and time again. I expected a whole lot more from Collins and possibly he needs more time. Painter is not in the same boat, we ran it down pitts throats all game, why let Painter make a fool out of himself again?

He didn't just shank the td he also bounced a couple ten feet in front of open receivers.

I will be the first to eat crow, if i'm right it's time for Painter to fade off into the sunset.

So Painter is the savior? I'm telling you this guy is a flop, he's proved it time and time again. I expected a whole lot more from Collins and possibly he needs more time. Painter is not in the same boat, we ran it down pitts throats all game, why let Painter make a fool out of himself again?

He didn't just shank the td he also bounced a couple ten feet in front of open receivers.

I will be the first to eat crow, if i'm right it's time for Painter to fade off into the sunset.

Well fortunately your wrong so you can eat crow now, painter is only getting better and as soon as the dude came in the team drove down the field.. mind you thats with no practice.... Why are ppl blaming painter for that sack fumble? idk i guess he's suppose to pass and block at the same time.

Painter is gonna come into mondays game and have a pretty good game i wouldnt be surprised if he goes in there and throws 3tds with the help of that running game, i think alot of ppl are gonna be surprised to see how well the guy can actually play in a full game.

Painter should at least get 3 weeks to see what he can do.. Collins got 3 weeks and he sucked every week. I guarantee Painter has the ability to match the awesome record Collins has done so far. One thing that is in Painters side is that he actually had a TD drive when it mattered. Collin has 0 TDs when we have a chance to win it. Sack fumble was not Painters fault... He got crushed a second after the snap on his blind side.

I dont expect him to be great. Id love for him to lead us on a 10 game winning streak, but thats not realistic. But I do know that he cant do worse than Collins.

If after 3 weeks he sucks it up every game, then Orlovsky would have had a month to learn the Offense and we can see what hes got.

Well fortunately your wrong so you can eat crow now, painter is only getting better and as soon as the dude came in the team drove down the field.. mind you thats with no practice.... Why are ppl blaming painter for that sack fumble? idk i guess he's suppose to pass and block at the same time.

Painter is gonna come into mondays game and have a pretty good game i wouldnt be surprised if he goes in there and throws 3tds with the help of that running game, i think alot of ppl are gonna be surprised to see how well the guy can actually play in a full game.

Listen Curtis,, i mean Smitto, i hope you are right. There is absolutely 0 evidence that Painter is getting better. ZERO!

I'll give him one game and if he does ok i'll continue it on a one game basis. It's his to take, he has just failed miserably in getting it done. The td drive thing still makes me laugh. I'm sure Addai isn't

You should have given the poll option that he might not suck instead of automatically assuming he will.

As a fan I felt excitement when he came into the game AND settled down. It's the 1st real hope I've had since the season started. If he can accomplish something when thrown in cold and few reps, what can he do with a full weeks practice with the 1st team and Manning in the booth? It's got to be better than what we've seen so far, IMO.

I really can't make a vote. The reason is simple. Let's say Painter plays great and we win the game. Then the following week we start Painter and he throws picks all day long and we lose horribly. People will bash him all day long and will forget the good game he had.

Same with Collins. If he plays great and we beat Tampa. He could easily have a bad game the following week and all the bashing from the fans will return.

We as fans have the shortest memories. Some of us want Caldwell out, even tho he took us to a Super Bowl.

I don't think he is the savior, but I am not going to automatically assume he will be horrible. He had a good preseason game against Green Bay's starting defense(I know it's not the real thing) and look good once he settled in on Sunday night. I atleast think he deserves a chance with this team, Collins isn't getting better and doesn't fit in with this team's style. There really is no lose either way and it needs to happen. If he fails, the team gets a better draft pick which needs to be QB, because they need a real backup for Manning and need to plan for the future. If he succeeds, maybe the season will be salvagable and the team will have a quality back up QB.

I really can't make a vote. The reason is simple. Let's say Painter plays great and we win the game. Then the following week we start Painter and he throws picks all day long and we lose horribly. People will bash him all day long and will forget the good game he had.

Same with Collins. If he plays great and we beat Tampa. He could easily have a bad game the following week and all the bashing from the fans will return.

We as fans have the shortest memories. Some of us want Caldwell out, even tho he took us to a Super Bowl.

I agree, a lot of fans have too short of memories. But one game, bad or good, isnt enough to make judgment. But Collins has had 3 games and is yet to be good.

But as for Caldwell taking us to the super bowl... We are going to have to win games this season for that to be remotely accurate because right now it looks more like Peyton took us to the Super Bowl and Caldwell rode along on the trip.

I am not a hater of Caldwell. I am not one that wants him out this year, but I also wouldnt be overly dissapointed. But you have to give credit where its due, and IMO the credit for going to the Super Bowl doesnt go to Caldwell.

If Curtis starts Monday it will only be because of Collin's injury. If he lights it up than we can start the QB controversy talk, but at the moment he is functioning as the backup, and Collins should return when healthy. So on that basis alone your poll is pointless, and I'm not voting.

When/if the team is mathematically eliminated than you bench Collins and give Painter an opportunity again - if for no other reason than to see what you have before next years draft.

When/if the team finally does hand the keys to Painter, it won't be just to yank him if he makes mistakes. When Peyton was leading the world in interceptions in 1998 did you scream for him to be benched? Not that there is any comparison in ability, but once you commit to a young QB, you let him play through the inevitable ups and downs to see how he progresses. What gives you the impression that he has a one game trial in which he needs to prove himself to people like you? The fact that you can't stand the man and enjoy making childish statements about his abilities means diddly. The hope is that he continues to improve on the things he does well, and reduce the mistakes. You may hate him, but I would bet that management is thrilled with him right now. If he does nothing but play exactly like he did against Pittsburgh the offense will be far more effective than it has been under Collins. I'm not clear on what you are complaining about, nor why you appear to relish his mistakes while utterly ignoring his positives. You DO want whats best for the Colts, don't you?

^ does it go to Dungy then?

The team was still coached by Caldwell, but to say he took them there is an overstatment. He did his job as a coach, but if he was the one that took them there then they wouldnt be so bad right now without Peyton. So that shows that Peyton is a lot bigger part of what took them there than what Caldwell was.

The year we won the super bowl against the Bears no one fealt that Rex Grossman took them to the super bowl. He just barely didnt make too many mistakes to prevent it. The defense took them there.

But as for Caldwell taking us to the super bowl... We are going to have to win games this season for that to be remotely accurate because right now it looks more like Peyton took us to the Super Bowl and Caldwell rode along on the trip.

I am not a hater of Caldwell. I am not one that wants him out this year, but I also wouldnt be overly dissapointed. But you have to give credit where its due, and IMO the credit for going to the Super Bowl doesnt go to Caldwell.

You could say exactly the same thing about the Super Bowl win, with Dungy going along for the ride. Or you could give credit to Polian because he drafted Peyton and hired both Dungy and Caldwell, or you could give credit to Irsay because he hired Polian. You're going to hurt your brain trying to assign all the credit to one person in what is the ultimate team sport. You need a complete package - and we have one.

It's just missing the scotch tape that holds it all together at the moment.

I am sorry but I just can't get behind Curtis as a starting QB. I gave him the benifit of the doubt as long as I could.

Last season . . . he didn't stand a chance in the conditions he was thrown into.

So I watched this season before making a decision on where I stood.

I am not impressed and I don't think he will lead this team to the playoffs. One good quarter (ok decent) does not change my mind. He is going to have to show more than that.

You could say exactly the same thing about the Super Bowl win, with Dungy going along for the ride. Or you could give credit to Polian because he drafted Peyton and hired both Dungy and Caldwell, or you could give credit to Irsay because he hired Polian. You're going to hurt your brain trying to assign all the credit to one person in what is the ultimate team sport. You need a complete package - and we have one.

It's just missing the scotch tape that holds it all together at the moment.

That is exactly what I mean. With almost any other head coach this team still has SB potectial, but without Peyton it doesnt. I am not saying that Peyton was the only one that made the trip to the SB happen, it is a team effort. But to say that Caldwell's coaching is what made the difference is not accurat IMO.

If Peyton is the scotch tape that holds it together then Caldwell is a stamp to make the package able to be sent, but if you forgot the stamp you can just buy a different one at the Post office when you're there to send it. You need a stamp, but any stamp that covers postage still gets it sent.

The metaphor may have outa hand lol

Dungy is a huge part of all of this. Bigger than Manning in my opinion. Give a lot of credit to Tom Moore also.

We were nothing before Dungy. He is also responsible for the SB berth that was head coached by Caldwell.

He is also responsible for Tampa Bay Super Bowl win. Credit went to Gruden.

Dungy = hero

Dungy is a huge part of all of this. Bigger than Manning in my opinion. Give a lot of credit to Tom Moore also.

We were nothing before Dungy. He is also responsible for the SB berth that was head coached by Caldwell.

He is also responsible for Tampa Bay Super Bowl win. Credit went to Gruden.

Dungy = hero

Trust me. I definatly want to give as much credit as possible to Dungy as well. I would love for him to still be our coach. It was the team he had made and coached and his schemes that made up the team that went to the super bowl. IMO Caldwell gets the credit for not messing it up and still getting to the super bowl. I give Dungy more credit than I do Caldwell. Definatly

That is exactly what I mean. With almost any other head coach this team still has SB potectial, but without Peyton it doesnt. I am not saying that Peyton was the only one that made the trip to the SB happen, it is a team effort. But to say that Caldwell's coaching is what made the difference is not accurat IMO.

If Peyton is the scotch tape that holds it together then Caldwell is a stamp to make the package able to be sent, but if you forgot the stamp you can just buy a different one at the Post office when you're there to send it. You need a stamp, but any stamp that covers postage still gets it sent.

The metaphor may have outa hand lol

I warned you about hurting your brain. :D

^ do you give Dungy more credit than Manning?

because I do

Thats where it gets iffy to me. Maybe before Manning went to the SB after Dungy was gone, but Peyton proved he could make it without him, and if it wasnt for one of several things that happened he would have won it without him. (Garcon's drop, unprepared for onside kick, Reggie stumbling on timing slant route)

I dont think Tony could have taken that team to the SB without Peyton, but we'll never know.

All I know is, I would love for Dungy to quit being an analyst and be the coach of the Colts again! Then I would be more than happy for Caldwell to go lol

I am sorry but I just can't get behind Curtis as a starting QB. I gave him the benifit of the doubt as long as I could.

Last season . . . he didn't stand a chance in the conditions he was thrown into.

I am not impressed and I don't think he will lead this team to the playoffs. One good quarter (ok decent) does not change my mind. He is going to have to show more than that.

I hope i'm wrong, but sadly i don't think we make the playoffs unless #18 suits up monday night. It's all great and dandy that a team showed up against pittsburgh but i'm less than optimistic about what we will see against Tampa. It's always been that way except PEYTON MANNING could outscore anyone if he had the ball and time on the clock. Ask Bill.

Curtis Painter needs a haircut, a good pencil, and a notepad. Maybe he could become an artist.

I swear Addai has to be ticked off at how little respect he has received and the Oline must be the same on that scoring drive. Painter led that huh? After the entire game of the Colts owning the run game, Painter comes in and leads them down the field :loco: .

Collins has sucked plenty because he has not had three years with the system, Painter has and my 7yr. old son can make all three of the passes he shanked. Painter should not be in the NFL period and i gaurantee Hartline is a better option. Painter wasn't even a good college qb.

I promise he will make his homers :facepalm: next time he plays. He doesn't have it period.

I hope i'm wrong, but sadly i don't think we make the playoffs unless #18 suits up monday night.

I swear Addai has to be ticked off at how little respect he has received and the Oline must be the same on that scoring drive. Painter led that huh? After the entire game of the Colts owning the run game, Painter comes in and leads them down the field :loco: .

Collins has sucked plenty because he has not had three years with the system, Painter has and my 7yr. old son can make all three of the passes he shanked. Painter should not be in the NFL period and i gaurantee Hartline is a better option. Painter wasn't even a good college qb.

1) Nobody is assuming that Painter will lead us to the playoffs any more than they thought that Collins could lead us to the playoffs - and Collins is still the starter. Whomever plays QB we are just trying to tread water until Peyton comes back. However with an 0-3 record, Collins injured, and strong signals that Peyton's return this season is unlikely, it's quickly reaching the point where it becomes more important to develop Painter as a backup than it is to play a 38 year old that was RETIRED until a few weeks ago? Particularly a retired QB who has played like he retired for good reason.

2) Where is Addai and the oline not getting respect? Everyone is thrilled at their performance. That doesn't change the fact that Painter got up off the turf after a horrendous play (as long as you are talking about the Oline, do you think perhaps that Castonzo was trying to get him killed or something?), and drove the team down the field to re-tie the game. So in your mind it is the running back who typically gets credit for an 80 yard drive in which the QB is 5-7 for 60 yards? When Peyton does this do you think "boy oh boy Linkenbach really led us down the field on that one, why are they talking about that QB again?" You clearly have blinders on.

3) Painter came in cold with no first team practice for a month, and made a couple of inaccurate throws. He does tend to throw it into the ground occasionally. That's something that you hope someone his age can improve upon as he gets more experience. Collins completion percentage is horrendous and his throws are frequently embarrassingly off target despite a solid month practicing with the first team. Did you hear the announcers quoting Reggie: "With Peyton I cut and the ball is there, with Collins I cut and he is still holding the ball and staring at me". And he's a SEVENTEEN year veteran. Did you notice that Painter nailed Garcon in the numbers just as he made a cut? The announcers called it the best Colts pass they'd seen all day. If they had seen the first two games they would have modified the statement somewhat I'm sure. Collins has played worse with the first string than Painter previously did in pre-season lined up with the scrubs. I'm not sure what your expectations were of Collins, but it seems to me that they spent $4 million precisely to avoid the rookie mistakes and learning curve inherent with Painter. How is it acceptable for Collins to under-perform him?

It's Hartline who is "not in the NFL, period". He is an UFA who was just released from the practice squad for good reason. Your "wasn't even a good college qb" comment sounds revealing somehow. Are you a graduate of Purdue's arch rival or something? Did Painter refuse to give your son an autograph at training camp? I'm looking for some grain of logic in your opinions.

1) Nobody is assuming that Painter will lead us to the playoffs any more than they thought that Collins could lead us to the playoffs - and Collins is still the starter. Whomever plays QB we are just trying to tread water until Peyton comes back. However with an 0-3 record, Collins injured, and strong signals that Peyton's return this season is unlikely, it's quickly reaching the point where it becomes more important to develop Painter as a backup than it is to play a 38 year old that was RETIRED until a few weeks ago? Particularly a retired QB who has played like he retired for good reason.

2) Where is Addai and the oline not getting respect? Everyone is thrilled at their performance. That doesn't change the fact that Painter got up off the turf after a horrendous play (as long as you are talking about the Oline, do you think perhaps that Castonzo was trying to get him killed or something?), and drove the team down the field to re-tie the game. So in your mind it is the running back who typically gets credit for an 80 yard drive in which the QB is 5-7 for 60 yards? When Peyton does this do you think "boy oh boy Linkenbach really led us down the field on that one, why are they talking about that QB again?" You clearly have blinders on.

3) Painter came in cold with no first team practice for a month, and made a couple of inaccurate throws. He does tend to throw it into the ground occasionally. That's something that you hope someone his age can improve upon as he gets more experience. Collins completion percentage is horrendous and his throws are frequently embarrassingly off target despite a solid month practicing with the first team. Did you hear the announcers quoting Reggie: "With Peyton I cut and the ball is there, with Collins I cut and he is still holding the ball and staring at me". And he's a SEVENTEEN year veteran. Did you notice that Painter nailed Garcon in the numbers just as he made a cut? The announcers called it the best Colts pass they'd seen all day. If they had seen the first two games they would have modified the statement somewhat I'm sure. Collins has played worse with the first string than Painter previously did in pre-season lined up with the scrubs. I'm not sure what your expectations were of Collins, but it seems to me that they spent $4 million precisely to avoid the rookie mistakes and learning curve inherent with Painter. How is it acceptable for Collins to under-perform him?

It's Hartline who is "not in the NFL, period". He is an UFA who was just released from the practice squad for good reason. Your "wasn't even a good college qb" comment sounds revealing somehow. Are you a graduate of Purdue's arch rival or something? Did Painter refuse to give your son an autograph at training camp? I'm looking for some grain of logic in your opinions.

This. All of this. Everylast bit o' this.

Painter is not Manning but at this point in his career Collins isn't even a backup. He is an armchair quarterback.

Curtis is not going to come in lead this team to the playoffs, noone is saying that. People are simply saying that the best drive we have had all season was with Painter in there and with the way Collins has been playing he (Curtis), deserves a chance to see what he can do with an entire week of working with this first team.

Also don't forget Kerry gave the ball up 2 times in his first game as well.

I think Kerry is a better QB than Painter however I think at this point we need to give Painter a shot and let him get some real experience. Who knows maybe he ends up having a few good games. He did have some good moments against the Steelers. Remember he didnt practice with the first team and I think you saw that he was out of sync with the recievers, but with some first team reps he may have better game. If he plays I will be cheering him on from my living room

GO COLTS

I am no fan of Curtis, but what has he had to work with? Since he was drafted he never got any time to work with the first team offense. Manning would dominate the snaps because he is Peyton Manning. How much time do we really think Manning used to work with Painter trying to help him out? We all know Peyton's work ethic and how much time he devotes to watching game film and studying the team coming up. Do we really think he used some of that precious time work with Painter? Nope!

So now he is thrown into the starting line up with a team built specifically for Manning and he struggles. When he was given some time to work with the team and have extended playing time with the first unit against the Packers he was not to bad. When he got into the Steelers game he struggled a bit, but move the ball better then Collins did the entire game.

I say just stick with him and say this is your team this year and let him develop. I feel so bad if Peyton is forced to retire and we draft Luck. Colts fans will not have the patience for the young QB to develop.

For the ppl that are saying collins didnt have that much time.... Matt Hassleback anyone? look at what he's doing for the titans and they dont even have as many weapons the colts have.... collins could at least get a TD in a meaningful quarter but no he didnt... Collins is still probably considered the starter but when and if painter starts on monday he will change the colts mind.

If Reggie Wayne supports him....lets go with him...

Here's one guy who DOES know our offense and he has an extra day to get ready....

..Not everybody accepts that the Colts offense is far more complicated than Jacksonville's or Tennessee........we can bring in a old arm and exoect him to just 'Brett Farve it'

...so Painter may be the right choice because , if we can judge from Wayne, the vets are behind him.

Who says Painter is going to be the savior of the team? I have not seen many people claiming that he will lead us to the playoffs. He's not the second coming of Earl Morrall. I just think we've seen enough of Collins. We'd like to see Painter get a shot. If we lose, we lose. Nobody is going to be able to replace Manning right now.

For the ppl that are saying collins didnt have that much time.... Matt Hassleback anyone? look at what he's doing for the titans and they dont even have as many weapons the colts have.... collins could at least get a TD in a meaningful quarter but no he didnt... Collins is still probably considered the starter but when and if painter starts on monday he will change the colts mind.

Hassleback signed with the Titans about 6 weeks before the season started and had the benefit of a full training camp.

Not saying Collins is / was / will ever be the answer at the QB position, but the Colts screwed up by not bringing in a real QB at the start of camp....