Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

How much of a jump do you expect luck to make in season two?

Stephen

If the team is anything of my expectations, 20-25 TD's. I wanna see some rushing touchdowns & defensive touchdowns & more special team touchdowns wouldn't hurt either lol

I don't want it all on Luck's shoulders like it was sometimes last year. I want us to be able to score from all 3 sides of the ball

Sorta like how Denver has scoring potential on all sides:

Offense: Peyton

Defense: Secondary

Special Teams: Holliday

Now, I'm not saying we need to be like Denver just was using them as an example of what I was talking about

The most INT Andrew Luck should throw is about 7. He should know by now that either you run or take the sack. Training wheels are off on him. I expect and hope for a huge jump in his game. Quite a bit of missed opportunities last season

Luck will always throw the ball down the field so he'll always have a decent amount of Interceptions...

I'm not buying into Indy becoming a power running team......We will mine all fields of the passing game..

short, long and mid-range...but Andrew's a passing gambler

....45 Tds, 20 INTs,,....5,000 yards...60% passing

The most INT Andrew Luck should throw is about 7. He should know by now that either you run or take the sack. Training wheels are off on him. I expect and hope for a huge jump in his game. Quite a bit of missed opportunities last season

I think we should have realistic expectations, and even I might have been too optimistic. Peyton freakin Manning had 9 INTs in his best season for that stat (had 10 in a couple other seasons). 12 is a VERY respectable number and a lofty expectation for a 2nd year QB.

80% completion %, 52 TD's, 3 INT's, 5k passing yards and 800 rushing yards. And during one of those picks, he KO's Ed Reed.

But seriously, I have no idea. I care about making the postseason more than anything else.

With the potential of a far better O-line (hopefully), I think that our run game will be vastly improved. This will result in defenses having to focus on stopping the run and the pass, unlike last year where defenses mainly focused on stopping our pass game. The run game will allow for the play-action to be more effective.

At Stanford, we saw how well Luck operated when using play-action. Even last year, when Luck used play-action, he was quite effective.

I expect a jump in completion percentage, 60-65% and a decrease in interceptions, 11 INTs. Although Luck may take shots downfield, I think that for the most part Pep will be asking him to make qhicker reads and get the ball out to his playmakers. This will result in shorter to intermediate passes, and more YAC. 

If the team is anything of my expectations, 20-25 TD's. I wanna see some rushing touchdowns & defensive touchdowns & more special team touchdowns wouldn't hurt either lol

I don't want it all on Luck's shoulders like it was sometimes last year. I want us to be able to score from all 3 sides of the ball

Sorta like how Denver has scoring potential on all sides:

Offense: Peyton

Defense: Secondary

Special Teams: Holliday

Now, I'm not saying we need to be like Denver just was using them as an example of what I was talking about

As TK says Luck shouldn't shoulder the team but yes he runs the offense but as a team we need to get better.   Yes Luck is the trigger man but if our run game gets better our passing game will improve.  If our defense gets better it'll help the "O" on better field position.  Same goes for our special teams.

On the original question I really don't know how much Luck will improve but  with the improvement of our team play it'll directly affect the improvement/play of Luck.

GO COLTS!

I like that late in the season, we saw improvement from Luck, finishing against the Texans with a 95.5 passer rating and then following that up with a 95.8 passer rating in the final matchup against the Texans. He also went the final 3 games in the regular season without throwing an INT.

All the changes made point to Luck having a much better year. More short pass/checkdowns should push his completion % up, INT`s down. Hopefully an improved defense will get the ball back to the offense with more opportunities to score. All sounds good on paper and if Luck is as cerebal as everyone thinks he`ll make less mistakes as the game slows down to him. The skies the limit if it all comes together! GO COLTS!

Someone is going to be disappointed this season.

Do you know how many quarterbacks last year threw only 7 interceptions?    

One.   And it's not who you think it is unless you were thinking RG3.    He had a fraction of the pass attempts that Andrew did and missed some games with injury as well.

Otherwise,  two other players had 8....  and everyone else had 10 or more.

So,  the chances Luck will have only around 7 are almost zero.    Completely unrealistic.

Odds are he'll have about 10-12.   And that'll be fine.

I expect mostly the same number of passing and running yards.

I expect roughly the same number of completions but on few pass attempts leading to a higher completion percentage... roughly 62-64 percent.

I expect a few more TD's...  perhaps 25-26.    I expect a few less interceptions...  perhaps 10-12.

I expect fewer fumbles when pressured.   I don't know what his number was,  but it was unacceptably high.  This must come down.    And, of course, fewer sacks/pressures/hits...

But the big one is a higher pass completion percentage.    That one won't go up above 66% for a few more years.

Luck- 4,777 yds, 38 TD's 9 int's 70% comp.

Ballard- 1,344 rushing yds 12 TD's

Wayne- 1,210 Recieving yds 10 TD's

mathis- 14 sacks

Landry- 6 FF

Davis- 4 FR

Butler-7 int's

Wow. Those are some pretty high expectations. 70% completion would be the league record IIRC.

I think our offense will be a slightly poorer version of the Texans, in terms of production next year. I expect Luck to put up Schaub like numbers and for the ground game to be significantly improved. I don't think we'll have as many rushing touchdowns as the Texans did last year, but I see those going to Luck in the air.

3800-4000 yards passing

60-63% completion rate

22-29 passing TD's

13-15 INT's

New o-line, new wide-out, full TC, new offensive coach, different schedule, new HC (almost)......I really have no idea. DHB could be worse than Avery, and the O-line might still suck. I'll abstain from the fun, as I'm not clever enough to factor all this in and make a reasoned forecast. 

Yep, I'm a chicken-licken yellow coward.....

Well, he might do a little better than last season....

Wow. Those are some pretty high expectations. 70% completion would be the league record IIRC.

Luck- 4,777 yds, 38 TD's 9 int's 70% comp.

Ballard- 1,344 rushing yds 12 TD's

Wayne- 1,210 Recieving yds 10 TD's

mathis- 14 sacks

Landry- 6 FF

Davis- 4 FR

Butler-7 int's

For reference Peyton Manning has only one season with over 38 TD's. . . the 49 he threw in 2004.  All his other seasons have been below that number

Peyton Mannning has 1 season with 9 Int's (2006) all other seasons where higher. 

Peyton Manning has never equaled a 70% completion percentage

Peyton Manning has never thrown for 4777 yards.  His highest was 4700 in 2010

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/1428/peyton-manning

Tom Brady has 2 seasons throwing for 38 TD's or more.  2011 (39) and 2007 (50)

Tom Brady has 3 seasons (in which he played a full slate of games) where he threw 9 or less Ints 2007 (8) 2010 (4) 2012 (8)

Tom Brady has never equaled a 70% completion percentage over a season

Tom Brady has only thrown over 4777 yards 3 times 2007 (4806) 2011 (5235) 2012 (4827)

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/2330/tom-brady

Drew Brees has 2 seasons throwing 38 or more TD's  2011 (46) 2012 (43)

Drew Brees has only one season (2004) in which he played the majority of his team's games and threw less then 9 Int's.  He played 15 games that year.  

Drew Brees has 3 seasons throwing more then 4777 yards 2008 (5069), 2011 (5476), 2012 (5177)

Drew Brees has exceeded 70% completion percentage twice 2009 (70.6) and 2011 (71.2)

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/2580/drew-brees

Aaron Rodgers has thrown for 38 or more TD's in only 2 seasons 2011 (45) and 2012 (39)

Aaron Rodgers has 3 seasons as a full time starter where he threw less then 9 Ints.  2009 (7), 2011 (6) and 2012 (8)

Aaron Rodgers only season with over a 70% completion percentage came in 2007 when he was a backup and attempted 28 passes in 2 games.  (71.4)   He has never thrown that high of a completion percentage as the full time starter.

Aaron Rodgers has never thrown for 4777 yards or more.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/8439/aaron-rodgers

So none of the elite QB's in the NFL has ever equaled a season that you have just predicted Luck would do in his 2nd year.  The closest you can find is Drew Brees in 2011 in which he equaled or bettered the completion percentage, the yards and the TD's, but threw 14 Int's.  He accomplished this in his 11th NFL season.

New o-line, new wide-out, full TC, new offensive coach, different schedule, new HC (almost)......I really have no idea.

That's the truth. 

Obviously, he was in a difficult situation as a rookie, but if Luck turns the ball over as much as last year, they won't win 11 games again.  He has to cut down on the INTs and fumbles. 

For reference Peyton Manning has only one season with over 38 TD's. . . the 49 he threw in 2004.  All his other seasons have been below that number

Peyton Mannning has 1 season with 9 Int's (2006) all other seasons where higher. 

Peyton Manning has never equaled a 70% completion percentage

Peyton Manning has never thrown for 4777 yards.  His highest was 4700 in 2010

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/1428/peyton-manning

Tom Brady has 2 seasons throwing for 38 TD's or more.  2011 (39) and 2007 (50)

Tom Brady has 3 seasons (in which he played a full slate of games) where he threw 9 or less Ints 2007 (8) 2010 (4) 2012 (8)

Tom Brady has never equaled a 70% completion percentage over a season

Tom Brady has only thrown over 4777 yards 3 times 2007 (4806) 2011 (5235) 2012 (4827)

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/2330/tom-brady

Drew Brees has 2 seasons throwing 38 or more TD's  2011 (46) 2012 (43)

Drew Brees has only one season (2004) in which he played the majority of his team's games and threw less then 9 Int's.  He played 15 games that year.  

Drew Brees has 3 seasons throwing more then 4777 yards 2008 (5069), 2011 (5476), 2012 (5177)

Drew Brees has exceeded 70% completion percentage twice 2009 (70.6) and 2011 (71.2)

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/2580/drew-brees

Aaron Rodgers has thrown for 38 or more TD's in only 2 seasons 2011 (45) and 2012 (39)

Aaron Rodgers has 3 seasons as a full time starter where he threw less then 9 Ints.  2009 (7), 2011 (6) and 2012 (8)

Aaron Rodgers only season with over a 70% completion percentage came in 2007 when he was a backup and attempted 28 passes in 2 games.  (71.4)   He has never thrown that high of a completion percentage as the full time starter.

Aaron Rodgers has never thrown for 4777 yards or more.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/8439/aaron-rodgers

So none of the elite QB's in the NFL has ever equaled a season that you have just predicted Luck would do in his 2nd year.  The closest you can find is Drew Brees in 2011 in which he equaled or bettered the completion percentage, the yards and the TD's, but threw 14 Int's.  He accomplished this in his 11th NFL season.

What happens in the past is irrelevant to what happens in the future. It is not legal precedence. Records get broken all the time.