Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

your opinions of a super bowl in NY

I know you directed this question toward Ruksak shecolt, but I will take a stab at it. The easiest answer is obviously safety. In Baseball, sheets of downpouring rain might make it hard for a pitcher to grip the ball, let alone control the velocity & direction of the ball leading to injury & even a fatality if a fast ball went haywire & hit a fan in the stands. A huge lawsuit & public relations clubhouse nightmare might ensue & ticket sales might drop if fans believe it is not safe, family fun anymore. Plus, player injuries skyrocket with a wet & gooey field. It depends how the language of player contracts is compiled, created, & structured too.

With rain usually lighting almost always follows, I can't speak to Soccer. I don't really follow the sport regularly. Rugby is often played in rain though. Ask BraveHeartColt from Scotland. He might be able to shed some light on this issue.

And baseball players are wimps. :D

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fits right with January and February football, IMO, in the elements!!! :)

But for those who pay a hefty price for the tickets, knowing that 80% of them are big corporate sponsors, comfort will not be included in the price and in all likelihood, this outdoor trial will happen less in the future, IMO.

The recent Super Bowl in Dallas was cold, miserable and a logistical problem. It will be worse in New York and colder. People who want this either want it for money reasons or thinking that cold weather will make it like the good old days. Well, as in most things, you can't go back and even if you could you probably wish you hadn't. life moves on and the game moves on. Bad weather nullifies a great passing game and passing is the money maker today. So, I am against it.

I will admit that cold whether tends to diminish fan turnout regardless of whether a person is voting, driving to a family reunion picnic, or sitting in the stands at a SB. Your thesis makes sense comfort wise on the part of the ticket purchasing NFL fan LD.

However, I am still diametrically opposed to that entire mindset. #1: I like old school, smash mouth football with defensive driven scores preferably in the low to single digits. Todays game among offensive coordinators has a passing fetish which I really dislike actually. And TV programs like "NFL Red Zone" are too obsessed with high scoring touchdown battles & catering to fantasy football & gambling addictions. 

If fans are telling me that this league needs domes to level the playing field for both teams I just laugh hysterically because weather is a variable to winning SBs just like the quality of a coaching staff, the medical staff, the  GM & salary cap management, draft board & free agency navigation, roster injuries & health, & of course concentration & composure for 180 minutes not just 60 minutes.

Natural elements & toughness are a crucial part of the game, especially the SB. Again, this is just my opinion, but I have been consistent in my overall thesis as well.  

Thank you, southwest.  I really didn't care who answered my question and I appreciate your taking the time to do so.

And, thank you, ruksak.  Also, feel free to "dumb it down" any time you are answering a question I may have.  I actually prefer that to anyone talking over my head and leaving me even more lost and confused.   

No problem shecolt. It was a very intelligent question BTW not a foolish one at all. Usually, if 1 person has a question about something, they are not alone in their interest or confusion either. So, by asking the question you are actually benefiting several other people on the forum. Your courage to speak up is to be commended not downplayed or dismissed shecolt. Please never forget that okay. Thank you. Who knows you might even spark a lively debate too.  ;)

Here's my opinion:

It's very silly and it favors the team that's used to the snow.

The point of a SB is to have an equal ground for the two top teams in each conference to play at. Once you start getting snow and cold weather involved, you're giving an advantage to one of the teams.

I think it will not end up well, and I hope the league refrains from going to cold weather places in the future. 

I could not agree more with this.  Inclement weather is fun and cool when it is a regular season or preseason, but when it comes to the Super Bowl the idea of inclement weather some how enhancing the game is just foreign to me.  To me all it will do is diminish the game especially if you get a team that is use to the snow and team that never sees snow at home.

I want to see the two top teams from each conference facing off to see who is the better team that day on a level playing field.  I was not thrilled that it was pouring down rain when we played the Bears.  To me it hurt the game more than anything.

A title game should be about which team is the better team that day than who can overcome the elements the best.

I really hope this Super Bowl goes over well, but I can see it falling flat on its face if it is bad weather.

They're just trying out something new. I don't see a problem with it. It would make sense to have America's biggest spectacle occur in her biggest city at least once. I wonder what the Broncos think about this though haha

i pity the new yorkers getting to the game  etc, nightmare scenario, no hotels to stay nearby, great for tourism

i pity the new yorkers getting to the game  etc, nightmare scenario, no hotels to stay nearby, great for tourism

Yeah, NYC is already a busy city and having so many people flooding in is going to be even more chaotic. But that only adds to the excitement I would think. Plus the stadium is in New Jersey if I'm not mistaken so maybe there will be more space for hotels and stuff there. It's going to be a crazy experience for sure though.

I don't like it, and I LIVE in Jersey. Maybe I'm influenced by rooting for a passing oriented team for so long, but it just seems ridiculous to me that teams should have to put so much effort in building their teams for normal conditions, and then in the championship game there's a risk of miserable conditions. It just lets random factors determine an outcome that should be all about "the best versus the best". Not to mention that it's less fun for the fans. February isn't exactly peak tourism season in NY - for good reason. I'd rather not be here as it is, I certainly wouldn't be interested in paying a fortune for the privilege. I would guess that a lot of people go to the Super Bowl as part of a holiday in which part of the attraction is escaping the cold weather of home. Cold weather sites - even with a dome - really don't make much sense.

I will admit that since I don't live on the East Coast I have no real idea what's it's like to reside there & get around. So, I will concede that point to you willingly MAC. Actually, more a problem would be if cold temperatures negatively affected the cameras & ability to broadcast the game across the globe for its fans watching the game at home. Advertisers wanna know that there products can be seen clearly & crisply with no high definition interference at all. 

Let's just roll with it & see what happens. People love to moan & groan about problems that might never transpire or unfold in the 1st place. How come nobody ever points out that this NY revenue generated from the SB might provide a fiscal surplus cushion to show the world that the city is flourishing since 911 too? 

last lived in NY in 1980 ( Brooklyn ),. was a nightmare getting around then

visited many times through 2000, 3x a year , month at a time   basically  until when MOM moved here,  as stayed a good month at a time when visited so had  plenty of time to experience the evlution of travel disaster with each visit , had friends all over the metropolitan , tri state are , the nightmare kept getting worse & I imagine its even worse now from what friends and relatives tell me

Yeah, NYC is already a busy city and having so many people flooding in is going to be even more chaotic. But that only adds to the excitement I would think. Plus the stadium is in New Jersey if I'm not mistaken so maybe there will be more space for hotels and stuff there. It's going to be a crazy experience for sure though.

No last year was an unexpected Blizzard with pit visiting Giants, all hotels solidy booked with people stranded , Pit  influence so got rooms reserved early as per schedule, however had to fly in late with airports closed / restricted so limited time to practice and relax

Many paid ticket holders couldnt go , those that did froze and had bad time many said

That stadium is just across Manhattan , we are not talking deep into Jersey , many hotels constantly booked  for NY tourists & Businessmen both for NY  on a budget and local bushiness as its cheaper than NY hotels and  one friend that lives near it hates it as relatives even in off season sometimes have trouble getting rooms and they are coming in From Columbia south america, and he hasnt a big enpough home for them to stay at

also power outages occurring more frequently with weather issues so that takes out many hotels or did at least for Pit game

Have a good day, must go now nice corresponding with u

The recent Super Bowl in Dallas was cold, miserable and a logistical problem. It will be worse in New York and colder. People who want this either want it for money reasons or thinking that cold weather will make it like the good old days. Well, as in most things, you can't go back and even if you could you probably wish you hadn't. life moves on and the game moves on. Bad weather nullifies a great passing game and passing is the money maker today. So, I am against it.

A half inch of snow in Dallas is paralyzing to the city. It takes a foot of snow to slow things down here in the Northeast!

Hyperbole, a bit, but there's truth to that. Dallas was unprepared because of the rarity of those weather conditions. I guarantee you, unless there is a perfectly (badly) timed blizzard, logistics will not be an issue.

We know what we're doing up here when it comes to living in the winter. ;)

I could not agree more with this.  Inclement weather is fun and cool when it is a regular season or preseason, but when it comes to the Super Bowl the idea of inclement weather some how enhancing the game is just foreign to me.  To me all it will do is diminish the game especially if you get a team that is use to the snow and team that never sees snow at home.

I want to see the two top teams from each conference facing off to see who is the better team that day on a level playing field.  I was not thrilled that it was pouring down rain when we played the Bears.  To me it hurt the game more than anything.

A title game should be about which team is the better team that day than who can overcome the elements the best.

I really hope this Super Bowl goes over well, but I can see it falling flat on its face if it is bad weather.

Regarding the bold-face part... heavy rain like that SB would be far worse than a snowy, windy, cold day. Rain will penetrate the actual football, make it slicker, etc. Although footballs aren't weather-proof, the moisture from snow will generally not seep into them nearly as much.

Same principle applies in climbing. I'd rather be out in 30-degree temps with snow than 45-degree temps with rain. You will get colder, despite it being warmer, because you'll be soaking wet.

Personally I'm all for it. Just my opinion. I think football was meant to be played in the elements, whatever those elements may be. I personally hate that so many stadiums are domes (though I get it, from a multi-use point-of-view, why that is) in the NFL.

Plus, the conference title games are often regarded as "better" games than the actual SB, and they're played wherever they're played.

And from a nostalgic, historic prospective... I mean, the '58 Championship... the "Ice Bowl" at Lambeau... the "Snow Bowl" in Foxboro... the weather can add magic and mystique to an already great moment. I get chills. Literally, haha...

No last year was an unexpected Blizzard with pit visiting Giants, all hotels solidy booked with people stranded , Pit  influence so got rooms reserved early as per schedule, however had to fly in late with airports closed / restricted so limited time to practice and relax

Many paid ticket holders couldnt go , those that did froze and had bad time many said

That stadium is just across Manhattan , we are not talking deep into Jersey , many hotels constantly booked  for NY tourists & Businessmen both for NY  on a budget and local bushiness as its cheaper than NY hotels and  one friend that lives near it hates it as relatives even in off season sometimes have trouble getting rooms and they are coming in From Columbia south america, and he hasnt a big enpough home for them to stay at

also power outages occurring more frequently with weather issues so that takes out many hotels or did at least for Pit game

Have a good day, must go now nice corresponding with u

Sounds bad. I didn't think the hassle would be as bad as you described it lol. But hopefully Goodell and the league know what they are doing. Maybe they'll set up tents around the stadium for those who want to brave the cold! haha Who need hotels when you have tents right? :D

Sounds bad. I didn't think the hassle would be as bad as you described it lol. But hopefully Goodell and the league know what they are doing. Maybe they'll set up tents around the stadium for those who want to brave the cold! haha Who need hotels when you have tents right? :D

The good news about last year is that the NFL knowing this is the Premier event, and what transpired in a regular season game will surely do their best to plan for all contingencies, even blackouts as last year the run on generay tors left shelves and spare fuel empty, this should be prepared for

sure other space accomodation  continginecies will also be made

as this is not far from the coast , some hotels / motels are gone since  Hurricane Sandy and still rebuliding

when i used to go to the stadium in the 80's & 90's fpr concerts and went via the Lincoln tunnel, u had 12 lanes from various direction , highways and streeets  eventually merging into the 2  for the tunnel to take u from manhatan to Jersey , just imagine that

The good news about last year is that the NFL knowing this is the Premier event, and what transpired in a regular season game will surely do their best to plan for all contingencies, even blackouts as last year the run on generay tors left shelves and spare fuel empty, this should be prepared for

as this is not far from the coast , some hotels / motels are gone since  Hurricane Sandy and still rebuliding

when i used to go to the stadium in the 80's & 90's fpr concerts and went via the Lincoln tunnel, u had 12 lanes from various direction , highways and streeets  eventually merging into the 2  for the tunnel to take u from manhatan to Jersey , just imagine that

Oh yeah, forgot about Sandy...yikes. Yeah I can understand the traffic. Sucks horribly here in Houston, I can only imagine with all the people in NYC. And horrible weather conditions as well... and you're right, no more blackouts! Who knows though, maybe we'll get a whiteout...in any case it's going to be a crazy few days leading up to the big game. This is gonna be one of the most entertaining lead-ups to watch in history.

Oh yeah, forgot about Sandy...yikes. Yeah I can understand the traffic. Sucks horribly here in Houston, I can only imagine with all the people in NYC. And horrible weather conditions as well... and you're right, no more blackouts! Who knows though, maybe we'll get a whiteout...in any case it's going to be a crazy few days leading up to the big game. This is gonna be one of the most entertaining lead-ups to watch in history.

I remember Houston in late 70's visiting a residency program as an alternate choice to fall back on , Forgot name of it nor time of year went

Everything was so spread out, the city itself is spread out if remember, Humidity was horrendous and Yes traffic was bad back then

I remember Houston in late 70's visiting a residency program as an alternate choice to fall back on , Forgot name of it nor time of year went

Everything was so spread out, the city itself is spread out if remember, Humidity was horrendous and Yes traffic was bad back then

Yes, very vast my friend. The constant 90 degrees and higher I'm used to, but the traffic is something I will never grow accustomed to! Too many people here haha But I hate cold weather and it doesn't get very cold here often, so I guess it's an even trade-off lol.

Yes, very vast my friend. The constant 90 degrees and higher I'm used to, but the traffic is something I will never grow accustomed to! Too many people here haha But I hate cold weather and it doesn't get very cold here often, so I guess it's an even trade-off lol.

Trade offs are a way of life and a needed as we cant have everything  , u try and pick what works best for u, anyway its 4 PM, Means I have priorities daily now so take care

quick PS, I cant complain even with all my medical disabilities, in the end life has worked out to be quit rewarding and not talking money here just life in general

quick PS, I cant complain even with all my medical disabilities, in the end life has worked out to be quit rewarding and not talking money here just life in general

Yes sir B, glad to know that you enjoy life to the fullest. One of the characteristics of the brighter and more successful people in this world. Hopefully I can get to a point in my life where I won't be able to complain about anything either! Nirvana, some call it.

Yes sir B, glad to know that you enjoy life to the fullest. One of the characteristics of the brighter and more successful people in this world. Hopefully I can get to a point in my life where I won't be able to complain about anything either! Nirvana, some call it.

Absolutely last comment 

I will never say i dont complain about certain issues, but taken all  together I can say I worked hard, and things somehow fell my way with some turbulence along the way as there always will be , but  I believe I always  will persevere anyway, and moire importantly I had a chance to enrich many others lives especially children with birth defects in my limited 6 year surgical  practice, 1 child smile post op is worth all the years of study, and as always on  full scholarships undergraduate & graduate , so never a student loan so the short career didn't leave me with loans to repay    

Wishing u achieve your goals in life and are = enriched

Barry

Fun, Fun, Fun QuizBoy!  What no room service & complementary breakfast?  haha

Tent+2.9.png

occupy_chapel_hill_rain_web.jpg

Barry, given that you're a native New Yorker yourself, when you 1st found out about a NY/NJ SB, where you pleased, indifferent, or upset about a SB being played there logistics/transportation wise? I'm just curious.

Since NY & NJ are often used as celebrity film locations for famous actors & actresses, I would imagine the east coast citizens that live there are used to traffic nightmares anyway right? It is still a pain in the caboose though probably.

Barry, given that you're a native New Yorker yourself, when you 1st found out about a NY/NJ SB, where you pleased, indifferent, or upset about a SB being played there logistics/transportation wise? I'm just curious.

Cant be online here anymore, dont expect any comment if comment back OK'

I was shocked and will be if Denver gets one

WHY  I was good but hated playing in the snow or frigid weather and thats all it reminded me of, played football every Sunday AM for to many years to count on offense either outside wr or RB , Defense usually  MiL or man to man cover CB  or anywhere I damn well pleased pending opposition , offense or defense I hated that cold playing and longed for sumnmer days

so I just cant be objective, it brings up  a bad memory in my mindf

Since NY & NJ are often used as celebrity film locations for famous actors & actresses, I would imagine the east coast citizens that live there are used to traffic nightmares anyway right? It is still a pain in the caboose though probably.

WHY  I was good but hated playing in the snow or frigid weather and thats all it reminded me of, played football every Sunday AM for to many years to count on offense either outside wr or RB , Defense usually  MiL or man to man cover CB  or anywhere I darn well pleased pending opposition , offense or defense I hated that cold playing and longed for sumnmer days

haha looks fun to me! I love nature anyway, bring on the tents!

You know what buddy. That is an excellent point! It's just like tailgating in a stadium parking lot.  :thmup: The only bad thing is if the zipper to the tent malfunctions in the middle of the night when nature calls I guess. Part of the charm of roughin' it right QuizBoy? It comes with the territory & memorable SB experience IMO.

WHY  I was good but hated playing in the snow or frigid weather and thats all it reminded me of, played football every Sunday AM for to many years to count on offense either outside wr or RB , Defense usually  MiL or man to man cover CB  or anywhere I darn well pleased pending opposition , offense or defense I hated that cold playing and longed for sumnmer days

No problem Barry. People have busy lives these days. I get it. No prompt feedback necessary pal. A SB in Denver...Hmmm...Yes, that would be rare, But I like big events in unorthodox/unconventional places. I'm weird that way I guess. Variety, spice it up, & do something non traditional every once in awhile. I often wonder what people hate more intense heat or cold? I handle cold quite well. Extreme heat & humidity not so much anymore actually. 

Looks fantastic...but I would be about 10,000 feet lower, a little bit closer to the ground. Yeah I'm one of those "heights" people lol.

That's not you is it?

About as close as I got was building igloos from snow mounds in my driveway in Lexington when I was a kid;)

Yup, if I wanna see a mountain, I'll buy a postcard of 1 or watch the Natl. Geographic Channel. GoPats did your spouse accuse you of making a mountain out of a molehill & you said "no dear, I will show you what a real mountain looks like okay." Just Kidding my friend!  haha  :thmup:

People moan and groan about the Corporate take-over of the Super Bowl, then contradict themselves somewhat by wanting nice indoor warm conditions because the poor little rich boys can't play proper football. I'm with SW and GP. It's an outdoor sport, played in the sunshine, the wind, the rain, the snow, indoors and out, and just because it's the grand final, it has to be played in perfect conditions?

Nope, this is not video game play. And why should the good folk of the Tri-state nation not get to host the biggest sporting event in the Universe once and a while?

People moan and groan about the Corporate take-over of the Super Bowl, then contradict themselves somewhat by wanting nice indoor warm conditions because the poor little rich boys can't play proper football. I'm with SW and GP. It's an outdoor sport, played in the sunshine, the wind, the rain, the snow, indoors and out, and just because it's the grand final, it has to be played in perfect conditions?

Nope, this is not video game play. And why should the good folk of the Tri-state nation not get to host the biggest sporting event in the Universe once and a while?

I don't know... maybe because there could be 2 feet of snow on the field....??   Maybe the same reason they don't schedule Winter  Olympic Snow Skiing Events in say... Florida...??   :dunno:        I hope the weather cooperates to a certain degree....

No problem Barry. People have busy lives these days. I get it. No prompt feedback necessary pal. A SB in Denver...Hmmm...Yes, that would be rare, But I like big events in unorthodox/unconventional places. I'm weird that way I guess. Variety, spice it up, & do something non traditional every once in awhile. I often wonder what people hate more intense heat or cold? I handle cold quite well. Extreme heat & humidity not so much anymore actually. 

I handle cold quite well. Extreme heat & humidity not so much anymore actually. ME TO  just hated playing football in it, i do live near Detroit

OK this is too good an answer not to give u one as is great memory,. then back to moms stuff

In reality me too, I would die living in Miami all year round but boy when i went thiis young Dr loved South Beach , especially after I got disabled, My residency yearly puts on a seminar on Sanibewl island for a wek, That's great place too

Wish I could still travel, but that's life

anyway once disabled every year after the seminar I drove to South Beach for 2-3 weeks or more pending , even got a proposal from a French beauty , still have her photo & letter she sent from france just after getting back there when she prpopesed, had a friend write it as didn't speak english , Imagine 3 weeks of fun and we each didn't speak eachothers language but was great

met first day, i was beach walking for exercise & after a few miles saw this stunning creature in a US FLAG BIKINI walking toward the water

I went in tried to talk but out came french and well thought that ends it , so i decided to lie downon my towerl and get some sun, some contruction workerts bugged g her so she goit up and just sat next to me

I was shocked

Was from leon, France the letter arrived and at same time I had just sent a few dozen roses & large bouquet which she had to get after she sent the letter, so i wondered if she thougfht I was saying yes and later had a friend write back in French to explain no

If she played her cards rigjht I would of nextr sent her tickets to come stay with me and bet ya in end would of asked her after an appropriate time , it wasw that great

but when u get that proposal that fast from foreiner u dont know if its real , its too soon and green card yells out at u and u would always wonder

taking her to restaurants was absolutley delightful, she ordered in French a great meal at various French ones, she'd like to feed me at times as i had nbo idea what certain dishes were and didn't really care, would put something interesting on a fork, stick it in my mouth and utter a few word in English she knew " u like "

boy did i , Dont want to upload the photo to the gallery as i belive u need that to ad to a comment first but just check my files and there it is with said letter , I may even have it scaned somewhere on my computer but no URL

anyway as saidf, thanks for there good memories

now back to MOMS STUFF,

PS Denver applied for superbowl after Manning able to take a hit

I don't know... maybe because there could be 2 feet of snow on the field....??   Maybe the same reason they don't schedule Winter  Olympic Snow Skiing Events in say... Florida...??   :dunno:        I hope the weather cooperates to a certain degree....

Or they don't have SB's in Florida, in case it rains for the entire game?

Safety of the fans is a reasonable concern Gramz. I would never dispute that ever, but no location for a SB should ever be ruled out simply because the weather in a certain region might not cooperate on the day in question. Like I said previously, the SB is a TV centered game now. Yes, people who travel to a host city deserve to watch the game LIVE safely, but comfort means different things to different fans IMO. 

met first day, i was beach walking for exercise & after a few miles saw this stunning creature in a US FLAG BIKINI walking toward the water

I went in tried to talk but out came french and well thought that ends it , so i decided to lie downon my towerl and get some sun, some contruction workerts bugged g her so she goit up and just sat next to me

I was shocked

Barry you ________ you!   I think I might have dreamed this once or twice. :lol:

Any married person will tell you that sometimes it seems preferable to not speak the same language. :P

Thank you BHC! It rains a lot in Scotland where you are from & I respect fans of an sport that can watch a game in the elements. Not to mention the athletes who rise above the conditions & get the job done. That's what ponchos & umbrellas were invented for man!  :td: It just bothers me when people seem to think that domes are leveling the playing field. Come on, like some snow, wind, & rain is gonna lead to such catastrophic results & diminish the overall NFL product on the field. Sorry, it's a lame excuse IMO. BHC is exactly right football is an outdoor sport not a quarantined one sheilded from atmospheric changes in a biodome canopy environment.