Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

your opinions of a super bowl in NY

I think it is stupid cuz of the weather conditions,snow/cold/wind..... Baseball dont play world series in pouring rain or storms,neither does nascar for the 500 or championship weekend,or golfs masters. Just sayin it should be in the best possible conditions for a fair playing field not something thats gonna give a cold weather team a big advantage because it is an advantage. Just my opinions.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They're just trying out something new. I don't see a problem with it. It would make sense to have America's biggest spectacle occur in her biggest city at least once. I wonder what the Broncos think about this though haha

Stupid

Care to elaborate? I don't find a NY SB outside "stupid" at all personally. The colder, snowier, the messier, & windy the better. This world has gotten far too timid & soft if you ask me. Yes BOTT, you are certainly entitled to your opinion naturally. But, I really enjoy the prospect of a nasty weather SB myself. 

eagles1948.jpg

Nobody wants another Philly Blizzard game?

Actually FX, that sounds like music to my ears actually. Dome stadiums get way to much preferred treatment anyway. Besides, we won a Miami SB in the rain in 2006. I'm A Okay with it.  :thmup:

And honestly how much worse is the snow than rain? Both water. The rain worked out for the "softer team" because Peyton and Jeff were smart enough to prepare for conditions. Any team can do the same. It's only their ignorance that would ruin a good snow filled game.

I highly doubt we are going to see a blizzard.

i don't have a problem with the location. but getting around in new york will be a logistical nightmare.

Bravo SD! :worthy:   This is the most sound argument I have ever heard against a NY SB. Navigating successfully around the Big Apple. Well done!  :hat:

I don't like it, and I LIVE in Jersey. Maybe I'm influenced by rooting for a passing oriented team for so long, but it just seems ridiculous to me that teams should have to put so much effort in building their teams for normal conditions, and then in the championship game there's a risk of miserable conditions. It just lets random factors determine an outcome that should be all about "the best versus the best". Not to mention that it's less fun for the fans. February isn't exactly peak tourism season in NY - for good reason. I'd rather not be here as it is, I certainly wouldn't be interested in paying a fortune for the privilege. I would guess that a lot of people go to the Super Bowl as part of a holiday in which part of the attraction is escaping the cold weather of home. Cold weather sites - even with a dome - really don't make much sense.

I don't like it, and I LIVE in Jersey. Maybe I'm influenced by rooting for a passing oriented team for so long, but it just seems ridiculous to me that teams should have to put so much effort in building their teams for normal conditions, and then in the championship game there's a risk of miserable conditions. It just lets random factors determine an outcome that should be all about "the best versus the best". Not to mention that it's less fun for the fans. February isn't exactly peak tourism season in NY - for good reason. I'd rather not be here as it is, I certainly wouldn't be interested in paying a fortune for the privilege. I would guess that a lot of people go to the Super Bowl as part of a holiday in which part of the attraction is escaping the cold weather of home. Cold weather sites - even with a dome - really don't make much sense.

I will admit that since I don't live on the East Coast I have no real idea what's it's like to reside there & get around. So, I will concede that point to you willingly MAC. Actually, more a problem would be if cold temperatures negatively affected the cameras & ability to broadcast the game across the globe for its fans watching the game at home. Advertisers wanna know that there products can be seen clearly & crisply with no high definition interference at all. 

Let's just roll with it & see what happens. People love to moan & groan about problems that might never transpire or unfold in the 1st place. How come nobody ever points out that this NY revenue generated from the SB might provide a fiscal surplus cushion to show the world that the city is flourishing since 911 too? 

I am against the whole idea of it being in NY... The weather is liable to be ridiculous, but it could be the nicest February night in NY history.. I like seeing the great QBs of the league playing in domes or Miami and have a chance to actually throw the ball

I am against the whole idea of it being in NY... The weather is liable to be ridiculous, but it could be the nicest February night in NY history.. I like seeing the great QBs of the league playing in domes or Miami and have a chance to actually throw the ball

What a minute, are you saying that QBs can throw the ball in the snow or frigid temperatures? Bring back a gritty, old fashioned, smash mouth running game. The league is too pass happy now anyway IMHO. And by only favoring dome teams you are alienating great SB locations like Lambeau Field, Soldier Field, or Arrowhead Stadium in Kansas City.

It would be fun if it was an east coast team vs. a dome team or a warm weather team. The belly aching would be non-stop for the entire SB week... :-)

Pats vs N.O. Saints in Buffalo, NY. The complain fest would be so hilarious to watch, especially with cold winds coming in from Canada...LOL! 

What a minute, are you saying that QBs can throw the ball in the snow or frigid temperatures? Bring back a gritty, old fashioned, smash mouth running game. The league is too pass happy now anyway IMHO. And by only favoring dome teams you are alienating great SB locations like Lambeau Field, Soldier Field, or Arrowhead Stadium in Kansas City.

Yeah SW.. Just my opinion on things. I too like to see some smash mouth hard hitting football.. But at the same time I don't like to see wounded ducks thrown by the QB.

Heck, the SuperBowl in NY could turn out to be the best yet. & I would say we will all be watching regardless of the location

I will admit that since I don't live on the East Coast I have no real idea what's it's like to reside there & get around. So, I will concede that point to you willingly MAC. Actually, more a problem would be if cold temperatures negatively affected the cameras & ability to broadcast the game across the globe for its fans watching the game at home. Advertisers wanna know that there products can be seen clearly & crisply with no high definition interference at all. 

Let's just roll with it & see what happens. People love to moan & groan about problems that might never transpire or unfold in the 1st place. How come nobody ever points out that this NY revenue generated from the SB might provide a fiscal surplus cushion to show the world that the city is flourishing since 911 too? 

NY is doing as good/bad as anyplace else in this economy, and one event isn't changing a thing. I'm not sure what 9/11 has to do with it. There were and are a good 20 million people centered here, and life goes on. I don't think anyone is thinking about "showing the world" anything.

I just don't happen to want a Super Bowl here.

The weather is no worse than where you are SW, perhaps a lot better. For that time of year, historical average high of 40%, low in of maybe 22%. It's just winter. Short days, minimal sun, good chance that the temp won't get above freezing during the entire shebang, good chance there will be lingering snow, ice, and other drek on the ground, good chance that their will be an unpleasant wind chill making it all seem worse. Good chance that there will be snow at some point, and any precipitation will freeze making getting around more difficult - something which is largely unpleasant to begin with. If bad luck brings a real storm - and it will happen repeatedly during the winter, it's just pot luck whether one comes at the wrong time - travel in and out will be effected, trouble getting around (or the fact that people were confined to their hotel rooms) will become something visitors will remember more than the game. It's not really the season for a Circle Line cruise, or strolling up fifth avenue. It's a season for sitting in your den and wishing that spring will hurry up and get here.

Regardless, the weather is of little concern to me in that sense since I have no interest in going. I'm talking about the game itself. I don't want a match-up in this pass first era to turn into an exchange of three and outs where you just hope no-one gets injured. The survivor wouldn't be the one's who are "tougher", it would be the one that's luckier, or who - for example - just happened to not get around to waiving their last true fullback after training camp. The entire prospect is just absurd. It's not a throwback to the "good old days". Those were just the days where they didn't know or couldn't afford any better. Now they do - or I thought they did. 

The entire point of holding the event on a neutral field is to remove conditions that might unfairly affect the outcome of the game. How is weather any different? I don't yearn for "the frozen tundra", I want to see the best football game possible. For those who yearn to see running football, write to the league and complain about the style of play. Perhaps running games will eventually return to prominence. But there is a world of difference between THAT eventuality, and us all being stuck with a football game in which two great passing teams perform put on a game reminiscent of (for example) the Jets versus the Jags (with an injured MJ Drew). There is a reason that I don't watch those games in the first place.

And if it should happen to "cost" the Colts or Broncos a Super Bowl, I'd not just be bored, I'd be angry for about the next 30 years.

---------

And by the way, I thought that the Colts/Bears Super Bowl was a bitter disappointment largely because of the weather.  One of the most important Colts games in their history, yet not even the 50th most memorable. I've never had the slightest urge to re-watch it. That fact irritates the heck out of me, and they WON the game. Imagine what I'd be saying if they lost. Weather should be REMOVED as a factor in the Super Bowl.

And by the way, I thought that the Colts/Bears Super Bowl was a bitter disappointment largely because of the weather.  One of the most important Colts games in their history, yet not even the 50th most memorable. I've never had the slightest urge to re-watch it. That fact irritates the heck out of me, and they WON the game. Imagine what I'd be saying if they lost. Weather should be REMOVED as a factor in the Super Bowl.

completely agree. it was also anticlimactic after the extremely emotional afc championship game. i nearly tear up just bringing it up 

completely agree. it was also anticlimactic after the extremely emotional afc championship game. i nearly tear up just bringing it up 

Me too, and I'm sure that's part of it. That game would be number one on my all-time list, so to be fair, it would have been a tough act to follow regardless.

^^^ That.

That AFC Championship Game  is by FAR my Favorite Game of All Time.    I nearly had a coronary,  but it's still my Favorite.

Anti-Climatic? Seriously? I'm not chastising you here SD. A person has every right to their genuine beliefs of course. I never want to dismiss anyone's heartfelt beliefs outright. I loved our rainy INDY SB victory because it proved that our team wasn't soft once & for all when it counted most. JMO. Take it or leave it as you see fit. 

Anti-Climatic? Seriously? I'm not chastising you here SD. A person has every right to their genuine beliefs of course. I never want to dismiss anyone's heartfelt beliefs outright. I loved our rainy INDY SB victory because it proved that our team wasn't soft once & for all when it counted most. JMO. Take it or leave it as you see fit. 

it was almost like we went through the motions. i had little doubt we'd win & the game wasn't all that noteworthy. sure i was happy we were finally champs after knocking on the door for so long, but it was relatively boring after devin hester's return

NY is doing as good/bad as anyplace else in this economy, and one event isn't changing a thing. I'm not sure what 9/11 has to do with it. There were and are a good 20 million people centered here, and life goes on. I don't think anyone is thinking about "showing the world" anything.

I just don't happen to want a Super Bowl here.

The weather is no worse than where you are SW, perhaps a lot better. For that time of year, historical average high of 40%, low in of maybe 22%. It's just winter. Short days, minimal sun, good chance that the temp won't get above freezing during the entire shebang, good chance there will be lingering snow, ice, and other drek on the ground, good chance that their will be an unpleasant wind chill making it all seem worse. Good chance that there will be snow at some point, and any precipitation will freeze making getting around more difficult - something which is largely unpleasant to begin with. If bad luck brings a real storm - and it will happen repeatedly during the winter, it's just pot luck whether one comes at the wrong time - travel in and out will be effected, trouble getting around (or the fact that people were confined to their hotel rooms) will become something visitors will remember more than the game. It's not really the season for a Circle Line cruise, or strolling up fifth avenue. It's a season for sitting in your den and wishing that spring will hurry up and get here.

Regardless, the weather is of little concern to me in that sense since I have no interest in going. I'm talking about the game itself. I don't want a match-up in this pass first era to turn into an exchange of three and outs where you just hope no-one gets injured. The survivor wouldn't be the one's who are "tougher", it would be the one that's luckier, or who - for example - just happened to not get around to waiving their last true fullback after training camp. The entire prospect is just absurd. It's not a throwback to the "good old days". Those were just the days where they didn't know or couldn't afford any better. Now they do - or I thought they did. 

The entire point of holding the event on a neutral field is to remove conditions that might unfairly affect the outcome of the game. How is weather any different? I don't yearn for "the frozen tundra", I want to see the best football game possible. For those who yearn to see running football, write to the league and complain about the style of play. Perhaps running games will eventually return to prominence. But there is a world of difference between THAT eventuality, and us all being stuck with a football game in which two great passing teams perform put on a game reminiscent of (for example) the Jets versus the Jags (with an injured MJ Drew). There is a reason that I don't watch those games in the first place.

And if it should happen to "cost" the Colts or Broncos a Super Bowl, I'd not just be bored, I'd be angry for about the next 30 years.

---------

A nice reply here MAC. Bad weather does play a factor in whether or not people feel more inclined to window shop, explore the city, & open their wallets. So foggy, rainy weather leads to less money & credit card receipts for resteraunts, & merchandise sales. I will acknowledge that. Neutral sites have nothing to do with weather at all. They merely remove any homefield competitive fan edge on both sides. The odds are even audience wise. I like dismal weather at the most crucial games. Just an additional form of adversity that 1 team might rise above & conquer to call themselves World Championship. If your squad is exceptional, wind, snow, sleet, hail, or downpouring rain won't matter period. 

The only I brought up 911 was to show that the biggest media market can rake in the dough hand over fists & show all outsiders that the terrorist attack didn't cripple the city financially that's all. 

I'd love a Colts/ Broncos SB actually. Manning vs Luck. The advertisers would be licking their chops. Divided loyalties, Experience vs youth, Pagano vs Fox, Irsay vs Bowlen...I'd lap this controversy like a cat licking milk out of a bowl. Fantastic! Controversy sells man!  :thmup:

A

I'd love a Colts/ Broncos SB actually. Manning vs Luck. The advertisers would be licking their chops. Divided loyalties, Experience vs youth, Pagano vs Fox, Irsay vs Bowlen...I'd lap this controversy like a cat licking milk out of a bowl. Fantastic! Controversy sells man!  :thmup:

They can't meet of course, so prepare to clarify before a horde rises up to eagerly smite you. I'm just quoting to emphasize that I pray they never meet in the playoffs at all. Just like the weather, one man's juicy controversy is another man's ............

Lets just say that many cat's are lactose intolerant, and leave it at that. :P

it was almost like we went through the motions. i had little doubt we'd win & the game wasn't all that noteworthy. sure i was happy we were finally champs after knocking on the door for so long, but it was relatively boring after devin hester's return

I can see your point SD. I always joke with my friends that then Bears QB Rex Grossman should have been given the SB MVP Award since his frequent fumbling of the ball secured our  :lombardi: trophy.  haha Just Kidding!

They can't meet of course, so prepare to clarify before a horde rises up to eagerly smite you. I'm just quoting to emphasize that I pray they never meet in the playoffs at all. Just like the weather, one man's juicy controversy is another man's ............

Lets just say that many cat's are lactose intolerant, and leave it at that. :P

Just for you MAC...Me on the top image & you on the bottom one... ;)

milk.jpg

8212%5B3%5D.jpg?imgmax=800

Feel free to unleash the pitchforks & torches, angry mobs, & medieval torture devices. SW1 can take it & I stick to my convictions no matter what the majority of bloggers think. Going against the grain is my specialty baby! 

The Rack is my personal historical favorite...

the-medieval-rack-torture-device1.jpg

Just for you MAC...Me on the top image & you on the bottom one... ;)

milk.jpg

8212%5B3%5D.jpg?imgmax=800

: haha: Love it.

By the way, I give my cats lactose free milk. They DO love it. Considering that I'm a vegetarian, it's hard to find things that we can share. They always rush over when I'm eating with such enthusiasm and then go "what the :cuss: is that".  :barf: :barf: :barf:

Thank goodness for dairy. Opening a pack of sliced American is a cause for celebration around here.

: haha: Love it.

By the way, I give my cats lactose free milk. They DO love it. Considering that I'm a vegetarian, it's hard to find things that we can share. They always rush over when I'm eating with such enthusiasm and then go "what the :cuss: is that".  :barf: :barf: :barf:

Thank goodness for dairy. Opening a pack of sliced American is a cause for celebration around here.

Must be a "guy" thing. (referring to feeding the cats people food/dairy)  

My cat has terrible table manners,  thanks to my husband.   :P

They're just trying out something new. I don't see a problem with it. It would make sense to have America's biggest spectacle occur in her biggest city at least once. I wonder what the Broncos think about this though haha

This response made me laugh QuizBoy. Why? Peyton's cold weather difficulties tend to ruffle quite a few feathers, even mine from time to time. However, if you can make a joke out of it, the sting of the situation tends to dissipate, disperse, & disappear very quickly. Thanks for the chuckle buddy! I needed that pal.  :thmup:  :D

Must be a "guy" thing.    My cat has terrible table manners,  thanks to my husband.   :P

My wife is almost as bad as I - although she tends to get a bit more defensive about her food. Perhaps not because she's worried about table manners, she'd just rather eat it herself. :D Of course she's NOT a vegetarian, so she might come under a bit more pressure than I do.

Now the dogs of course don't care what you're eating. It could be a table leg, they still want it. Dating back to when I was a kid, I recall just chucking pizza crusts to my waiting Lab without bothering to look first. I remember a dinner guests eyes going wide open once because he thought that I was just heaving it to the floor for no apparent reason. The crust never got near the floor. haha