Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Nice John Boyett article.....

NewColtsFan

It's not very long....    but the way it's written it gives you an appreciation for how much John accomplished while at Oregon....

Also, it mentions his surgeon...   he's one of the very best in the world....   story says he got the operation after consulting five different doctors....   someone did their homework!    :thmup:

A quick and easy and enjoyable read....

http://napavalleyregister.com/sports/0fd98ffa-b160-11e2-a299-0019bb2963f4.html

i just dont see how the kid fits. we're not gonna carry 5 safeties and joe and brown are our ST aces

I agree both are aces and no room on 53 man but could he replace Bethea if he slips this year also? Might be our future?But with his talent putting him on PS wouldnt help he would get snagged during season from injuries.So do we drop Joe or Brown? I think so,I think Joes number is up.

I know coach said he had a good talk with him about his injuries and continuing to rehab and how he needs to be straight up and honest. He admitted he should have done the right thing earlier and sat out and get the the problem taken care of and that he probably wouldn't have been in this situation right now. So it seem he an Pagono are already developing a good honest relationship.

We can definitely keep 5 on the roster.  Bethea,  Landry, S. Brown, Lefeged, and Boyett.  You are assuming there are no injuries, and not all players are going to make it through a 16 game season.  Boyett will one day make a great Free Safety, and until then, he will be great on special teams with Brown and Lefeged.  The three of them will make a ton of special teams tackles.

I heard the colts wanted Rambo but he was gone a couple picks from their pick.

Rambo was taken right before the Colts took Boyett. I believe had Rambo been there Boyett still would have been the Colts pick. I think Grigson and Pagano were that impressed with him. His knee injuries killed his draft stock for this year, had he came out last year, some experts/analysts believe he would have been a 2nd/3rd rounder.

http://www.oregonlive.com/ducks/index.ssf/2012/08/no_doubt_senior_safety_john_bo.html

Here's another one that was written just before the start of the 2012 season that gives great insight towards the kind of player we're getting in Boyett.

Wow, this is the kind of guy we really want on our team. Like coach said, we need to protect him from himself.

I hope he's fully recovered, and if not, we put him on PUP or even IR. He's worth the wait.

We can definitely keep 5 on the roster.  Bethea,  Landry, S. Brown, Lefeged, and Boyett.  You are assuming there are no injuries, and not all players are going to make it through a 16 game season.  Boyett will one day make a great Free Safety, and until then, he will be great on special teams with Brown and Lefeged.  The three of them will make a ton of special teams tackles.

I assume that we can either:

A) Keep 5

B) Put Boyett on IR if he suffers a hangnail to give him time to recover for next year.

Honestly, who knows what the defense will do, but I suspect some of our depth at S could rotate into the nickel spots and provide better run support against 3 WR sets.

That hospital is def one of the best for orthopedics. Jobe is a leading orthopedic surgeon, if still practicing. He was the surgeon that created alot if the operations and techniques to help in joint/ligament rehabilitation that are still used today.

My own surgeon told me about this cause I share the same last name.

better then brown or joe

Well that is really not a question for me. 

The point is the Brown's or Lefeged's of the world get cut all the time.  And they especially get cut in favor of draft picks.  But on top of that, 5 safeties is not unheard of if they back ups are special teamers.

Well that is really not a question for me. 

The point is the Brown's or Lefeged's of the world get cut all the time.  And they especially get cut in favor of draft picks.  But on top of that, 5 safeties is not unheard of if they back ups are special teamers.

the question isnt rather he would make the team or not. i have no doubt he'll make the team unless he gets hurt. im just wondering where he fits. i really dont wanna see joe or brown go because their two of our best STers. grigs or pagano im not sure which did mention how boyett excels in coverage so maybe thats where we could play him.

I've seen both Brown and Boyett extensively, and I'd be shocked if Sergio beats him out. Boyett's just a better all around player. If we only carry four safeties, it's Brown who's more likely to be the odd man out (assuming we don't put Boyett on the PUP list or anything).

Yes, they held him out the last few games, then he started the Ravens game.

lets say we do carry 5 safeties. whats going through my mind is went it comes to game day will he be one of the 45

lets say we do carry 5 safeties. whats going through my mind is went it comes to game day will he be one of the 45

Probably comes down to a balance of who the best ST players are and what position has the most injuries. Boyett was a ST ace.

That 45 active game day rule always seemed ridiculous to me. The league preaches they're all about player safety, yet you can't have your entire team play a game. Which means more possibility of injury since you're playing less players longer.

Guess we're putting the cart before the horseshoe, we don't even know who will make the team.

i just dont see how the kid fits. we're not gonna carry 5 safeties and joe and brown are our ST aces

Sergio Sergio...where for art thou Sergio?

"Making Captain comeback Blaine Gabbert look good Sir!"   OUCH...that was YOU Serg?   :lol:

Pagano called this kid a buzz saw,,,,ya think he might like the way he plays?  

There is a long way to go, but Sergio was nothing whatsoever on this defense, although as you say so was stellar on Special Teams.  Harvey too was solid....he more than likely won't make the cut unless we carry and extra LB.  Hughes was too, but he is history already. :thinking:

Sergio Sergio...where for art thou Sergio?

"Making Captain comeback Blaine Gabbert look good Sir!"   OUCH...that was YOU Serg?   :lol:

Pagano called this kid a buzz saw,,,,ya think he might like the way he plays?  

There is a long way to go, but Sergio was nothing whatsoever on this defense, although as you say so was stellar on Special Teams.  Harvey too was solid....he more than likely won't make the cut unless we carry and extra LB.  Hughes was too, but he is history already. :thinking:

we had solid play on STs in who knows how long. theres a old sigh that goes dont mess with the status quo

we had solid play on STs in who knows how long. theres a old sigh that goes dont mess with the status quo

I agree on Special Teams....I wrote more about special teams need with all of the no- names we had last year....at one point we had Freeman needing to show what he had on special teams!!  He was OK I think.

I was not critiquing you...I was speaking of Brown's lack of defense when ON defense. :coltslogo:  :coltslogo:

I was able to talk with Boyett's defensive coordiantor at Oregon, Nick Aliotti, and he raved about the type of player the Colts are getting at safety.

Check Colts.com tomorrow for a blog post on Aliotti's comments.

Aliotti has been Oregon's d-coordinator for 14 seasons and was gushing about the aggressive, high-motor, instinctual Boyett.

He said that Boyett excelled on special teams while at Oregon and that will be a big part on seeing where he will eventually fit on the 53-man roster.

Bethea and Landry are locks to start and after that it's special teams guys like Lefeged/Brown and then Howell/Boyett who will fight it out for the final few safety spots.

A stat I loved on Boyett---in 3 BCS games at Oregon he avearged over 13 tackles in each contest, including a Rose Bowl record 17 against Wisconsin in 2012.

I was able to talk with Boyett's defensive coordiantor at Oregon, Nick Aliotti, and he raved about the type of player the Colts are getting at safety.

Check Colts.com tomorrow for a blog post on Aliotti's comments.

Aliotti has been Oregon's d-coordinator for 14 seasons and was gushing about the aggressive, high-motor, instinctual Boyett.

He said that Boyett excelled on special teams while at Oregon and that will be a big part on seeing where he will eventually fit on the 53-man roster.

Bethea and Landry are locks to start and after that it's special teams guys like Lefeged/Brown and then Howell/Boyett who will fight it out for the final few safety spots.

A stat I loved on Boyett---in 3 BCS games at Oregon he avearged over 13 tackles in each contest, including a Rose Bowl record 17 against Wisconsin in 2012.

I think this is an interesting story in that every team seems to look at a player's 2012. Grigson just looks at tape and more tape. You look at Boyett's 2011 and see some amazing statistics.  I love a hitter! :coltshelmet:  :coltshelmet: