Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Sheldon Price the next Richard Sherman?

I really want Price to make the team he excels in press coverage and has great size at 6'2. He reminds me alot of Richard Sherman who was a 6th round pick . Both were in the Pac 12 and both weaknesses was that they weren't good in zone coverage and lacked speed. The  weakness i see in Price game other then zone coverage  is that he gets pushed around by bigger WR's he's only 180 lbs. If he can put on 10 to 15 pounds of muscle mass and Pagano coaches him up, he could be the steal of the draft. Here is some of his game film.

People just because he has size doesn't make him the next big thing. Kelley is the size of megatron doesn't mean he's just as talented.

HEY NOW!!! haha Stop hating on J_Kelley. Im a fan of JK, and think he can be as talented as CJ. He wasn't in a system that allowed him to exhibit all the tools in his toolchest...I saw his game tapes. He can make the tough catch, over the middle, and beat double teams with his outstanding leaping ability....yes, im very optimistic about J Kelley, regardless of his doubters.... :yes:

Coltsfanatic24 I really hope your right I'm not against it at all if if happens I will be 1 HAPPY fan haha

I was right about the Werner pick he was too good of a prospect to pass up when most people wanted a guard. Same with Price great potential hopefully i'll be 2 for 2.

I was right about the Werner pick he was too good of a prospect to pass up when most people wanted a guard. Same with Price great potential hopefully i'll be 2 for 2.

I'm hoping for you too lol if we had someone like Sherman I would be so excited lol

HEY NOW!!! haha Stop hating on J_Kelley. Im a fan of JK, and think he can be as talented as CJ. He wasn't in a system that allowed him to exhibit all the tools in his toolchest...I saw his game tapes. He can make the tough catch, over the middle, and beat double teams with his outstanding leaping ability....yes, im very optimistic about J Kelley, regardless of his doubters.... :yes:

While I always hope for the best from all of the players that play for my favorite team.........VERY FEW players make an impact at the professional level that failed to make an impact in College or other professional type leagues post college but pre-NFL.  With his 'measurables' he SHOULD have dominated, but, he did not!  Sorry!

As far as Price goes, the jury is out on him.........he was an UDFA for many reasons and all 32 teams passed on him for those holes in his game.  If he shows promise and the coaching staff identifies and gets their message thru to him where he can understand those difficiencies, then maybe we get lucky and get a solid contributor. If not, he likely won't last.

We all have to keep in mind that Vaughn and Gordy have starting experience in this league with varying degree's of success and that gives them an upper-hand as the 4th and 5th corner!

There is nothing about Price that screams Richard Sherman other than he is 6'2 that's it

He has a physicality to his game, despite being kind of skinny. He's been accused of being overly physical downfield. Not a perfect prospect, but the OP's point is that neither was Sherman. You get a guy with decent size who has some faults to his game, and maybe good coaching can iron out those faults. All the coaching in the world isn't going to make Cassius Vaughn or Darius Butler grow four inches.

He has a physicality to his game, despite being kind of skinny. He's been accused of being overly physical downfield. Not a perfect prospect, but the OP's point is that neither was Sherman. You get a guy with decent size who has some faults to his game, and maybe good coaching can iron out those faults. All the coaching in the world isn't going to make Cassius Vaughn or Darius Butler grow four inches.

But that was never the problem with Vaughn, most of the time Vaughn was in position to make a play he just can't get his head around in time to locate the ball. Hope he been working on that all offseason

But that was never the problem with Vaughn, most of the time Vaughn was in position to make a play he just can't get his head around in time to locate the ball. Hope he been working on that all offseason

Not saying it is. Just saying size is an asset that Price has, and if he can iron out some other wrinkles, he can be a good corner with size. Vaughn might iron out some wrinkles and be a good corner, but he'll never been a good corner with size.

A small nit to pick that will likely only interest me....

But Richard Sherman was actually a 5th round pick and not a 6th....

It's interesting that the 49ers passed on him before Seattle finally selected him in the 5th round....    After all,  SF had Harbaugh as it's head coach and Vic Fangio as its DC...   those two were with Sherman when they were at Stanford, so they had some idea as to what he was....

Or did they?

Sherman is an interesting story...  he played both WR and CB in HS.   When he came to Stanford, WR was more of a need then, and that's where he played his first 3 years. (ncluding a RS year)   But his results were mixed.   So, it was Sherman's idea to move him to Corner for his last two years.    His first year was at best uneven...   some high-highs, but some low-lows.   He was much better his senior year,  but I don't think anyone saw what he would become.

If they did,  Sherman wouldn't have lasted until the 154th pick in the 2011 draft.   Who'da thunk it....??

Put the right player in the right sceme.....

Nothing is cut and dry.....

A small nit to pick that will likely only interest me....

But Richard Sherman was actually a 5th round pick and not a 6th....

It's interesting that the 49ers passed on him before Seattle finally selected him in the 5th round....    After all,  SF had Harbaugh as it's head coach and Vic Fangio as its DC...   those two were with Sherman when they were at Stanford, so they had some idea as to what he was....

Or did they?

Sherman is an interesting story...  he played both WR and CB in HS.   When he came to Stanford, WR was more of a need then, and that's where he played his first 3 years. (ncluding a RS year)   But his results were mixed.   So, it was Sherman's idea to move him to Corner for his last two years.    His first year was at best uneven...   some high-highs, but some low-lows.   He was much better his senior year,  but I don't think anyone saw what he would become.

If they did,  Sherman wouldn't have lasted until the 154th pick in the 2011 draft.   Who'da thunk it....??

Shelton Price may be big and fast. Like Sherman. But he is catastrophically bad in coverage. Which Sherman is not.

No comparison.

I think if Price was 'catastrophically bad in coverage' as you claim then he would NOT have been signed to a FA contract by the Colts or any other NFL team.     

I think if Price was 'catastrophically bad in coverage' as you claim then he would NOT have been signed to a FA contract by the Colts or any other NFL team.

We signed him undrafted to bring him in for a tryout, IMO anyway. He has elite size, but watch his college tape, he's pretty bad, man.

We signed him undrafted to bring him in for a tryout, IMO anyway. He has elite size, but watch his college tape, he's pretty bad, man.

But 1 good thing is coach used to be a DBs coach :) you can get better with coverage and stuff you can't teach size and speed

But 1 good thing is coach used to be a DBs coach :) you can get better with coverage and stuff you can't teach size and speed

That's true, can't argue with that.

I'd never hope for one of our own to fail, but I wouldn't bet on him becoming a starter for us.

I live in So. Cal.  

UCLA is not far from me.    I know about Price.    I'm not saying he's great or that he'll even make the team.

I just wouldn't use the term 'catastrophically bad in coverage' to describe him.

Probably closer to Sherman Hemsley....you honky

I got the biggest LOL in the last 5 years right here...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lji3kw7dLOQ

HEY!!! Slow it down, back it up....BLOOD ON TRACKS...you started this crap! Enough with that! This is 2013, not 1320. John Dee i understand your frustration, but please don't help him by pouring gasoline on this small matchstick of a fire....i looked at his profile, there's no way he's 76, and that senile...rise above it...

HEY!!! Slow it down, back it up....BLOOD ON TRACKS...you started this crap! Enough with that! This is 2013, not 1320. John Dee i understand your frustration, but please don't help him by pouring gasoline on this small matchstick of a fire....i looked at his profile, there's no way he's 76, and that senile...rise above it...

....hopefully you're joking

Im not the only who read about Price after he was signed...dude was NOT GOOD but made great improvements after he got coached up properly by a solid DB coach in Jim Mora Jr....Pagano is one of the best in the business in coaching up that position meaning price has a higher ceiling....