Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Question of the Day - 05/01

sb41champs

I would generally say a few years at least, but we'll have a general idea if the drafted players can play & make an impact after this season...

I assume this board will be up in arms complaining about the draft if Luck gets touched the first grade or if Werner doesn't tally up at least 6 sacks...

I would generally say a few years at least, but we'll have a general idea if the drafted players can play & make an impact after this season...

I assume this board will be up in arms complaining about the draft if Luck gets touched the first grade or if Werner doesn't tally up at least 6 sacks...

*Play starts*

*Luck throws a TD to Wayne but gets hit after he throws*

Forum: GRIGSON YOU'RE TERRIBLE AT DRAFTING! Our line is pathetic! We need help at OL!!! :Nuke:

:facepalm:

5 years from now. I like 5 year intervals. A good bench to evaluate size, speed, skill, health, muscle mass, nutrition, & rotation adjustments among new NFL recruits. Granted, players can get cut in 2-3 years, but as an entire unit working in unison together I like 5 years to really see what each draft class brings & whether or not they flourish or fall by the wayside.

*Play starts*

*Luck throws a TD to Wayne but gets hit after he throws*

Forum: GRIGSON YOU'RE TERRIBLE AT DRAFTING! Our line is pathetic! We need help at OL!!! :Nuke:

:facepalm:

That will be exactly what happens lol. he will be hit atleast 7 or 8 times in the first game and our OLine needs fixed lol. 

Three years. Time enough to get slow developers their chance.

It's pretty remarkable to think that with how late we drafted and how many really bad drafts we had since 06, how good we were.

It all starts with having a great QB. Man, are we Lucky!

The funny thing is, given my extensive historical training, I have been indoctrinated with the the academic principle of evaluating movements, milestones, national & international conflicts as units in time: Years, decades, or a Millennium or 2.

I'm in this for the longhaul; the full duration & 3 years is simply the tip of the iceberg nothing more. It's too short of a scrutiny window & nowhere near long enough IMO to make a solid judgement on any athlete's overall talent & skill set at all.

Feel free to disagree with me as always. I never claimed to have all the answers here. I'm just giving others my perspective on the evaluation process. That's it. 

Well it depends on your perspective, doesn't it?  I will start grading the team in pre-season.  Figuring out which of the rookies has the best chance to make the final 53.  Can the Colts run the ball against the Raiders in the 1st game of the new season?  Then can the Colts run the ball against the Dolphans?  Then comes a real test, can the Colts run the ball against the Niners?

If we take the 3 year benchmark that most people agree on here, your first year is a wash as a new player learns the playbook, the schedule, & the difference between pre season, regular season, & post season.

The 2nd year: You know what drills to expect, you are accustom to the intensity bar being raised from regular season to post season, & you learn to react & trust what you see on the field without fear or hesitation.

The 3rd Year: You get comfortable in your own skin, you take a larger vocal role in team meeting & on the field. But, you really haven't been tested yet usually with adversity or a serious sidelined injury yet on average.

So really, that 3 year window is actually a 2 year evaluation window. Yes, there are naturally instinctive athletes that do things exceptionally well that coaches can't teach that is true. But those players are extremely rare in my estimation & nowhere near the training camp 53 man roster norm. Is 2 years long enough to keep or cut a player? Nope.

Well it depends on your perspective, doesn't it?  I will start grading the team in pre-season.  Figuring out which of the rookies has the best chance to make the final 53.  Can the Colts run the ball against the Raiders in the 1st game of the new season?  Then can the Colts run the ball against the Dolphans?  Then comes a real test, can the Colts run the ball against the Niners?

Ah yes, the Pagano formula pedigree: Run & stop the run. A good test for the o-line & RBs seeblu...But what about the rest of our roster? It's a nice 1st NFL exam though. I agree 100%

I think you can start grading anytime you want and refine the grade as time goes on.  Overtime the grade will trend up/down and become more credible as time passes.  But what's wrong with saying "as it stands today, I grade <blah>", with the knowledge that the earlier the grade the more likely it is to be inaccurate.

So how much time needs to pass before a grade can be considered credible...  I'd guess 2-3 years.  But it can still be worthwhile giving an opinion anytime before that and adjusting the grade as more information becomes available.  Watching the grades trend over time would be something that I would find interesting.