Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts have traded Jerry Hughes for Bills LB Kelvin Sheppard

B-B

• Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is honestly the most lopsided trade of the year, and it's not even close. Hughes only has potential, Sheppard has capitalized on his!

when did he do that?, wasn't it Hughes that had 4 sacks last year while getting more playing time?

This is the time to not get too involved with any player. We gotta cut 37 guys right. I could understand scenerios where big name over 30 guys like Mathis or Wayne were traded.And before you go H.A.M - its just an example. The point is that everything im seeing from the GM says we serious about not rebuilding - & just reloading. So that means we dont have time for contract disputes & holdouts. You will be shopped &/or dropped before any of that.

I don't see any realistic scenario where Wayne or Mathis could be traded. Grigs will do everything to improve the team. Those two exemplify 'team'.

L.A.M.

I like the trade.   I was really pulling for Jerry.   But it just seems his game is a straight ahead speed rush.  I had a feeling after the draft, he might not make the cut as OLB. So trading him now gives us another young inside linebacker who might stick that has some bulk.

I don't get some fans. They cry, when we don't sign any FA or make a trade, then they cry when we do, and to help with our long sturggling defense. The future is here, get out of the Polian era and enjoy the Grigson era. So far I like everything about Grigson and his moves. Jerry Hughes was just another below average player from the Polian era. I like this trade/

As I said in the chat room on draft day, trying to please this forum is like trying to please women..... it just won't happen haha

(No offense to our lady forum members)

Ok so I'll ask you then.

Who is more valuable at stopping the run?

A. A pass rusher

B. An inside linebacker

Positions dont stop runs....Players do........Sheppard is not one of them players he is a drop back in zone roaming guy, not very good at getting of blocks

I think we are just trying to get as many lber's as possible that look like each other.

JCZLQICVEGXLLRF.20100510192556.jpg erik_walden_sm.jpg

Kelvin Sheppard                          Erik Walden

I don't care what they look like if they can play good football.  Why are you making an issue of it? 

Did someone say that we were saving 1 million in cap? According to Mike Chappel, Jerry Hughes will count $2,112,500 in dead money vs the cap. Would have counted 1,926,250. So he said we take on $186,250 more vs the salary cap to move Jerry Hughes. Is that right?

I was in the middle of saying that's not correct, but it is. Hughes had an option bonus of $3.105m in the second year of his contract, which amortizes at $776.25k/year. Two years of that, plus two years of prorated signing bonus at $280k, equals about $2.1m, just like you said.

His cap hit would have been $1.9m, approximately. Your numbers (or Chappell's numbers) appear to be correct. This move costs us about $200k in cap space, just for Hughes' dead money. But we're not paying his base salary of $1.095m.

Then we take on Sheppard's contract, which carries a cap hit of about $780k. So we're adding just about a million to our payroll on this deal, but saving about $300k in cash.

when did he do that?, wasn't it Hughes that had 4 sacks last year while getting more playing time?

When he plays?? Hughes played better, but he stinks of bust. 4 sacks in his 4th year (I think) is not anything special. He played a lot with Freeney and Mathis injured and being the primary OLB backup.

Ok so I'll ask you then.

Who is more valuable at stopping the run?

A. A pass rusher

B. An inside linebacker

You didn't ask me that the 1st time.

So, I'll ask you, can an OLBer not play the run? Point is, 2 different positions and trading Hughes had nothing at all to do with stopping the run. It had to do with, we had too many OLBer's and not enough ILBers. Plain and simple!

Not that it's a huge difference by NFL standards but this leads me to believe that Sheppard was brought in to start with Freeman.

Nah, he has to earn that spot. Connor & Freeman were like Batman & Robin last year together. TC is getting more and more interesting

Who do you want of their players? or do you want a draft pick?

That depends on what they'd part with. Most likely a pick would bring more value than any player they'd give up. Then again, switching from a 3-4 maybe they have players who fit our scheme and not theirs.

I don't get some fans. They cry, when we don't sign any FA or make a trade, then they cry when we do, and to help with our long sturggling defense. The future is here, get out of the  Polian era and enjoy the Grigson era. So far I like everything about Grigson and his moves. Jerry Hughes was just another below average player from the Polian era. I like this trade/

Your comment is real easy to explain.  Too many are chair general managers who just think they know more than Grigson.  Most comments are not put to debate there just whining . 

Positions dont stop runs....Players do........Sheppard is not one of them players he is a drop back in zone roaming guy, not very good at getting of blocks

He's not great at getting off blocks, or in space, but he's not a drop back zone guy. He's more of a close quarters guy who can pack a whallop in the box. He's a bigger, more athletic, slightly younger and more proven Kavell Conner.

I don't care what they look like if they can play good football.  Why are you making an issue of it? 

God, are some of you people withdrawing from Heroin or what? I'm not making an issue at all, just that they look similar. for crying out loud, some of you people have absolutely ZERO sense of humor. 

I was in the middle of saying that's not correct, but it is. Hughes had an option bonus of $3.105m in the second year of his contract, which amortizes at $776.25k/year. Two years of that, plus two years of prorated signing bonus at $280k, equals about $2.1m, just like you said.

His cap hit would have been $1.9m, approximately. Your numbers (or Chappell's numbers) appear to be correct. This move costs us about $200k in cap space, just for Hughes' dead money. But we're not paying his base salary of $1.095m.

Then we take on Sheppard's contract, which carries a cap hit of about $780k. So we're adding just about a million to our payroll on this deal, but saving about $300k in cash.

OK, that makes sense. I did not think of the bonus.

If Sheppard is a drop back zone guy, what's the point of bringing him on? Angerer and Conner are both Zone guys who can't shrug blocks.

Cant tell you the point of bringing in Sheppard because I have no idea. Conner is a guy that can blitz up the middle and get through O Linemen I believe, Angerer is a roamer, an ILB that can make tackles all over the field, he is not a heavy hitter, much more of a drag down tackler

OK, that makes sense. I did not think of the bonus.

Neither did I. I was thinking it was just at $560k dead hit, because I thought the option bonus was an annual roster bonus. It's not.

This is kind of a strange contract for a first round draft pick, by the way. I don't know why we structured it with a Year 2 option bonus for a first rounder, as if he was going to be released after one year. Not a big deal, given the length and value of the contract, but kind of strange.

You didn't ask me that the 1st time.

So, I'll ask you, can an OLBer not play the run? Point is, 2 different positions and trading Hughes had nothing at all to do with stopping the run. It had to do with, we had too many OLBer's and not enough ILBers. Plain and simple!

I didn't say OLB, I said pass rusher which Hughes strictly was.

And if depth was the issue, why oh why were so many in this forum just begging for an OLB to be picked in the 1st as opposed to an ILB?

It has more to do with ability than just positional need. We replaced Hughes with 2 players who can play the run as well as rush the passer.

Hughes had no ability vs the run but Walden, Werner and Sheppard all do.

I didn't believe Pat fit here anyway now that we run a 3-4. I was hoping we traded him on draft day to the Bears and grab their pick or something. But with that injury, what could we get for him?

Leave Pat right where he is and use him on passing downs. He's our best cover linebacker.

I didn't say OLB, I said pass rusher which Hughes strictly was.

And if depth was the issue, why oh why were so many in this forum just begging for an OLB to be picked in the 1st as opposed to an ILB?

It has more to do with ability than just positional need. We replaced Hughes with 2 players who can play the run as well as rush the passer.

Hughes had no ability vs the run but Walden, Werner and Sheppard all do.

Because we had a lot of OLBers; we just didn't have a lot of good ones. OLB has more value than an ILB.