Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Would Love This O-Line

unitaswestand

Samson Satele would most likely be the starter, but I assume that his leash will be short, because Shipley is right behind him ready to go. Holmes would most likely be a third stringer for now, with the hopes of being a center in the future.

Let's keep in mind that a 4th rounder, a late one, is not a huge commitment. 

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LT-Castonzo

LG-Thomas

C-Shipley

RG-Thornton

RT-Cherilus

Holmes is a clear fit for Zone Scheme which I expect us to run quite a bit of

That's what all of our projected starters(if you include Holmes) ran previously. Plus Joe Gilbert who is now our OL coach, coached the zone scheme at Illinois with Thorton. I know pep is known for power running and Ballard said its both power and zone schemes will be sprinkled in but man all signs lead to more zone than man. Patiently waiting to camp so I can see the running game in action

That's what all of our projected starters(if you include Holmes) ran previously. Plus Joe Gilbert who is now our OL coach, coached the zone scheme at Illinois with Thorton. I know pep is known for power running and Ballard said its both power and zone schemes will be sprinkled in but man all signs lead to more zone than man. Patiently waiting to camp so I can see the running game in action

when is camp this year? It still in Anderson?

when is camp this year? It still in Anderson?

The Colts will begin offseason workouts on April 17.

Those will last for five weeks before OTAs commence on May 22.

Sandwiched in between that will be a three-day rookie mini-camp starting on May 10.

The Colts veteran mini-camp(mandatory) will start on June 11 and span three days. On Wednesday, June 12 the Colts will be hosting a practice at Lucas Oil Stadium from 5:30 – 8 p.m.

Can't find when and where actual training camp starts though

The Colts will begin offseason workouts on April 17.

Those will last for five weeks before OTAs commence on May 22.

Sandwiched in between that will be a three-day rookie mini-camp starting on May 10.

The Colts veteran mini-camp will start on June 11 and span three days. On Wednesday, June 12 the Colts will be hosting a practice at Lucas Oil Stadium from 5:30 – 8 p.m.

Can't find when and where actual training camp starts though

Might not be decided yet or made public

I know what zone blocking means based on the name but how do you actually recognize it when you watch the OL play? I looked at Holmes on tape against Utah and he often goes to the second level to block a linebacker. There are other times when he and a guard took on the same DT and tried to push him to the side. Are these signs that a zone blocking scheme is used? What is it called when all the linemen synchronize and all push towards right or left?

I know what zone blocking means based on the name but how do you actually recognize it when you watch the OL play? I looked at Holmes on tape against Utah and he often goes to the second level to block a linebacker. There are other times when he and a guard took on the same DT and tried to push him to the side. Are these signs that a zone blocking scheme is used? What is it called when all the linemen synchronize and all push towards right or left?

In simple terms, zone blocking lineman are assigned an area with a lot of combo blocks working up to the 2nd level rather than a man. Man blocking is well man blocking lol

Grigson showed me something.  Even though he paid some nice money for Satele, he drafted another center this year.  That being said, I don't think there is any guarantee that Satele makes it to the 1st game of the season. I, too, believe Shipley was the better center last year.  Shipley also played guard in a pinch.  So it makes more sense to have Holmes and Shipley as the centers, and they both play guard.   Satele's days are numbered, IMHO.

http://ezinearticles.com/?Offensive-Linemen---Zone-Blocking-For-Football&id=5017289

I think this article explains it all pretty well, Much better then me trying to sit here and try to tell you, The Texans are a Stretch Zone Blocking team

Grigson showed me something.  Even though he paid some nice money for Satele, he drafted another center this year.  That being said, I don't think there is any guarantee that Satele makes it to the 1st game of the season. I, too, believe Shipley was the better center last year.  Shipley also played guard in a pinch.  So it makes more sense to have Holmes and Shipley as the centers, and they both play guard.   Satele's days are numbered, IMHO.

Satele also has Guard experience(In Oakland), Not saying he is a keeper but he does have experience at Guard, I think there were a couple reasons why our O Line struggled like it did last year

1.Injuries

2.Lack of overall talent

3.We were trying to fit a square peg in a round hole in my opinion. What I mean by that is this: We were a very heavily based Man Blocking scheme with clear Zone Blocking O Linemen

Satele will start next season and this forum will be up in arms about it next year.

Book it.

thats what I think. Honestly this pick tells me that they don't think Shipley is the answer or they would have just gone to him. Nit wouldn't shock me if he ends up being the odd man out after the pre-season.

We still need an elite Left tackle. I have no care what anyone has to say on this, but last seasons playoff game against Ravens proved it

elite left tackles like elite QBs don't grow on trees and in today's NFL unless you have a top five pick or are ready to pay a crazy amount of money you aren't getting an elite left talk. Sometimes a very good left tackle (which the Colts have) works.

He is fine wait till he is playin with Thomas on his side

No he isn't fine, not until he plays like the first rounder we picked him for. A guard has nothing to do with is individual blocking assignments. I've rewatched the games we played last season. He was bad like everyone else. In fact Shipley was the best I seen on tape last season. No more passes for Castanzo this season. I'll be calling for a new LT unless he steps up this season.

elite left tackles like elite QBs don't grow on trees and in today's NFL unless you have a top five pick or are ready to pay a crazy amount of money you aren't getting an elite left talk. Sometimes a very good left tackle (which the Colts have) works.

Thank you

No he isn't fine, not until he plays like the first rounder we picked him for. A guard has nothing to do with is individual blocking assignments. I've rewatched the games we played last season. He was bad like everyone else. In fact Shipley was the best I seen on tape last season. No more passes for Castanzo this season. I'll be calling for a new LT unless he steps up this season.

Yes he is fine.  He is and has clearly been our best o-lineman since he was drafted.  If you don't think that fine but the vast majority of people, including the Colts front office, would disagree with you.  There is a reason why he is the only starter that was back last year and might be back again next year.  Castanzo, while not perfect, is the least of the Colts worries when it comes to the o-line.  They needed to upgrade the other positions or doing anything with Castonzo isn't going to help much or else you just end up with one really good lineman and teams just move their players around to attack your other weaker lineman and make plays.  Also Castonzo is only a second year player.  Lineman are allowed time to grow in this game.  He was better last year from his rookie year and I see no reason to think that trend wont continue.  Even Terk Glenn wasn't the Pro-Bowl player he would become after just two years in the league. 

Clearly Castonzo has his flaws, which any player in the league has, and yes handling elite speed pass rushers is one of them but you know what you can say that for just about any Lineman in football.  Remember when Dwight Freeney used to make a Hall of Famer Jonathan Ogden look silly?  That's why elite speed pass rushers get paid the money they do.  It's like when Peyton Manning would get the better of Champ Bailey.  Did that mean Champ Bailey was bad and needed to be upgraded or did it mean that Peyton Manning was a really good player?  Remember the other side gets paid too and it's not always what your guy does wrong sometimes it's what the other guy does well.

Also no one is giving Castonzo a pass. I think most people who have watched him feel he has played well and just because you don't agree with that opinion doesn't mean he's getting a pass.  It just means they have a different opinion than you. 

Yes he is fine.  He is and has clearly been our best o-lineman since he was drafted.  If you don't think that fine but the vast majority of people, including the Colts front office, would disagree with you.  There is a reason why he is the only starter that was back last year and might be back again next year.  Castanzo, while not perfect, is the least of the Colts worries when it comes to the o-line.  They needed to upgrade the other positions or doing anything with Castonzo isn't going to help much or else you just end up with one really good lineman and teams just move their players around to attack your other weaker lineman and make plays.  Also Castonzo is only a second year player.  Lineman are allowed time to grow in this game.  He better last year from his rookie year and I see no reason to think that trend wont continue.  Even Terk Glenn wasn't the Pro-Bowl player he would become after just two years in the league. 

Clearly Castonzo has his flaws, which any player in the league has, and yes handling elite speed pass rushers is one of them but you know what you can say that for just about any Lineman in football.  Remember when Dwight Freeney used to make a Hall of Famer Jonathan Ogden look silly?  That's why elite speed pass rushers get paid the money they do.  It's like when Peyton Manning would get the better of Champ Bailey.  Did that mean Champ Bailey was bad and needed to be upgraded or did it mean that Peyton Manning was a really good player?  Remember the other side gets paid too and it's not always what your guy does wrong sometimes it's what the other guy does well.

Also no one is giving Castonzo a pass. I think most people who have watched him feel he has played well and just because you don't agree with that opinion doesn't mean he's getting a pass.  It just means they have a different opinion than you. 

Couldn't agree more. Castonzo has been the Colts' most consistent and best O-lineman over the last couple of seasons. He is very agile and looks good in run blocking situation, especially when he slides out and blocks down the field.

Again, you put it very nicely and I don't think he gets enough credit.

Couldn't agree more. Castonzo has been the Colts' most consistent and best O-lineman over the last couple of seasons. He is very agile and looks good in run blocking situation, especially when he slides out and blocks down the field.

Again, you put it very nicely and I don't think he gets enough credit.

I also agree I actually haven seem anyone that dislikes him besides the guy above lol but as I said a few posts back he will get even better with better linemen around him he was having to pick up blocks that our G couldn't handle he was trying to do too much IMO he had very little help

Sorry that's not true in the slightest bit. I wish we would've picked Solder in the first round. There was a reason teams passed on Softanzo.

Really?  Man if Elite Left Tackles are so easy to get I don't know who is dumber Grigson for not getting one or the teams that pay all the money to the ones that are elite if they are just so easy to get...

Also we didn't have the chance to pick Solder in the 2011 draft.  The Pats took him at 17 and the Colts didn't pick till 22. 

Let's see what Castonzo can do if we other good players on the line like New England has.  The o-line more than any other unit is sports reflects the play of a unit more than it does one single player.  So my guess is if we upgrade the line around Castonzo he's going to get better as well. 

Also, Nate Solder was not elite coming into the NFL and frankly I would be careful about calling him elite after one season.  I would say he had a very good season but he needs to build on that to be elite and if he does you can bet once his contract is up he's going to cost a tone of money for someone to sign which goes back to my point if you want an elite tackle you get it one of two ways in the NFL you pay threw the nose to sign one in free agency or you have a top five pick to take a guy like Joe Thomas or Jake Long that come in elite.  Other wise you have to develop one like the Pats are doing with Solder and the Colts are doing with Castonzo.  Those guys are not elite day one you groom them which is why BOTH men had teams pass on them.  If you put the right players around a pretty good player then guess what he can shine.  New England has done that for Solder the Colts are trying to upgrade their line to do that for Castonzo so yes if you have other good players around him pretty good can be good enough and frankly in the NFL thanks to the salary cap at most positions it has to be good enough because teams don't have the money to field a team of 22 "elite" players on both sides of the ball. 

Castanzo at LT

Thomas at LG

Holmes at C

Thornton at RG

Cherilus at RT

It is quite amazing that essentially the entire line has changed in three years. These guys are big, hungry, but fluid. I can't wait to see Brown and Ballard pounding the ball up the middle.

R u serious? AQ Shipley at center all err day.

I never said Solder was elite, he is just better. The front office couldn't agree to terms with Jake Long that's why Anthony is still at LT. This is his 3rd season now so we'll see what he can do. But honestly we need a LT and next season will show it unless Castanzo steps up

And all I'm hearing is a bunch of crap and excuses for Anthony. It didn't matter who was around him, he was getting beat just like everyone else period. Stop making excuses for him. He is awful and I put some of the playoff game lose on him. So many penalties in the redzone because of him being afraid of getting beat by his man so many times. And to give up a sack to a cornerback? Are you kidding me?

Yep cut Satele he blows

I understand we all have our favorites and targets for blame....err, objective criticism, and this is the forum to vent it.  However, the reality is that all signs point to Satele and Holmes being on the roster next year.  Any thought that Shipley can make the squad given the drafting of Holmes, is really long shot thinking.  Shipley is a great story, but he lacks physical talent.  He is like a QB with great moxie but can't make all the throws.  They are players that earn a chance to fill in, and usually play well, but don't have talent to become long term starters in the league and stay on the roster only as long as it takes to find a player whose talents you are willing to invest more in.

The reason why Holmes got thrown around by more aggressive DT's is because he played when he was badly hurt last year.

As several analysts noted,  with Holmes,  you had to look at his 2011 tape,  not his 2012.

Can he improve?   Yes.    Can he get bigger and stronger?    Yes.    But the kid made roughly 40+ starts over 4-years at USC.   He's a talented kid.    It's just hard to tell by his 2012 tape.

im hoping your right because it would be a waste of a 4th rounder if he becomes a bust and he isnt the only one im saying this about either. our 5th rounder would make me upset because we gave up our 4th for next year to draft in the 5th round. idk i guess i hate seeing us give up draft picks lol. 

Khaled Holmes should have the play book and all the OL checks down in no time from everything I read about his smarts and being an extra coach on the field. That's always a plus just a taller Jeff Saturday

Draft picks like Holmes always excite me because there is no doubt that it is a pick of authentic conviction.  Just like Dwayne Allen last year, it was a chance to grab a long term starter even though there were other positions that seemed more likely to address.  Love it philosophically.  For all of the credit Polian deserves, I always felt like his drafting was too need based in the middle rounds as a result of inactivity in the vet free agent market.  The middle rounds should be only for drafting good football players, never for trying to find an immediate starter.