Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Rotoworld's Draft Analysis

Overview: Keep in mind Colts GM Ryan Grigson also surrendered a 2014 fourth-round pick in the trade up for Hughes early in round five. I'm surprised Grigson mortgaged part of his future for a small-schooler with a checkered character background. Not only is Werner an odd fit for Chuck Pagano's 3-4 defense, but his tendency to give up on plays after initially being blocked was disconcerting on game film. Contrary to popular belief – which may be racially driven -- the player's motor is an issue. I liked the Thornton pick, but not Holmes. I didn't love many of Grigson's free-agency moves or his draft as a whole, and this grade will be low. But the 2012 NFL Executive of the Year has earned every ounce of the benefit of the doubt. The Colts have a top-15 roster a year after going 2-14, thanks in large part to Grigson's scouting. He knows more than me.

Grade: C-

I saw him play in college a lot, and I have watched tons of film on this guy,, and Grigson has watch probably tons more than I have, and his motor is not questionable from whistle to whistle, does he give up on some plays? sure. Everybody does, but he has a great motor, whoever wrote this needs to do their homework

And the hate for the :colts: continues. I don't understand it. That's all people care about these days "big name player's".

Just cause they don't know these players, it's a problem. I'm sure if it wasn't for Andrew Luck, Coby Fleener, & Dwayne Allen....... they probably would've gave us a D for last year's draft

Well, the last draft that the media (and fans) loved was in 2007, which was just full of recognizable names:  Anthony Gonzalez, Tony Ugoh, Daymeion Hughes, Quinn Pitcock, Roy Friggin' Hall....

How'd that turn out?  ;)  The one guy that made it (Clint Session), was a mid rounder that no one really knew anything about.

They do that because nobody ever goes back and calls them out for their wrong draft grades.Mostly because NOBODY CARES.

I can't agree with your comment.  While draft picks are never 100% most of  the draft picks the Colts have made have worked out. Having a few players not work out don't deserve being called out. As far as no one caring I don't think that comment even deserves a response.

I can't agree with your comment.  While draft picks are never 100% most of  the draft picks the Colts have made have worked out. Having a few players not work out don't deserve being called out. As far as no one caring I don't think that comment even deserves a response.

I'm talking about nobody cares what the so called experts think. lol

I think you misinterpreted what he said

Overview: Keep in mind Colts GM Ryan Grigson also surrendered a 2014 fourth-round pick in the trade up for Hughes early in round five. I'm surprised Grigson mortgaged part of his future for a small-schooler with a checkered character background. Not only is Werner an odd fit for Chuck Pagano's 3-4 defense, but his tendency to give up on plays after initially being blocked was disconcerting on game film. Contrary to popular belief – which may be racially driven -- the player's motor is an issue. I liked the Thornton pick, but not Holmes. I didn't love many of Grigson's free-agency moves or his draft as a whole, and this grade will be low. But the 2012 NFL Executive of the Year has earned every ounce of the benefit of the doubt. The Colts have a top-15 roster a year after going 2-14, thanks in large part to Grigson's scouting. He knows more than me.

Wanted to quote you so you knew where this thread had been moved to. Any new draft specific threads should be started in the draft forum. Thank you for your help.

Honestly,  I'm not sure we have a top-15 roster....    yet....

We have a top-10 quarterback and that covers up a lot of flaws.  

We MAY have a top-15 roster this year.....  I'm just not sure it's apparent yet....

What we do have are a lot of players who race around with their hair on fire giving everything they have.    For now,  that's all we can ask for.....

Just listened to Kiper and McShay wrap up with the First Draft Podcast.  Regarding the AFC South, they gushed about Jacksonville and Tenn, glossed over Indy.  Kiper really liked Kerwin Williams, questioned if Werner can play in this defense.  I'm not sure who else Grigs and Chuck went to workout but to my understanding they went to see him more than once.  They would have traded out if they weren't certain.  

The one guy that I hoped they would get was Barrett Jones but at the end of the day I'm not sure if Holmes might pan out just as good or better.  Going into this draft I thought they needed to get someone who could provide a pass rush and get more talent for the OL to keep Luck upright. They did that.  In a weak draft they come away with meat and potatoes.  Can't wait for Sept. 8th.

I saw him play in college a lot, and I have watched tons of film on this guy,, and Grigson has watch probably tons more than I have, and his motor is not questionable from whistle to whistle, does he give up on some plays? sure. Everybody does, but he has a great motor, whoever wrote this needs to do their homework

I went back and re-watched many of the "Bjoern Werner VS" videos and he gave up on a lot of plays.  On several plays he gives up then the play got extended or went away from him to start, but then flowed back his direction, and resulted in him being left totally out of the action and useless; possibly missing making a play because he gave up on the play and/or stopped his pressure/pursuit.

He does seem to have a high motor as long the action is near him, but he definitely does not play "whistle to whistle".  Hopefully Pagano gets on him and coaches this part of his game up.

The so called experts rarely grade any team very highly.  They have their own ideas about what they would have done and if you didn't do that then you did it wrong.

But there is a reason why the GM and the coaches have cool offices and a huge paychecks and they are sitting on their computers being critical of their picks.  

At least this guy acknowledged that Grigs deserves the benefit of the doubt.   

This is a draft that hardcore fans and football people will appreciate far more than the typical mainstream analyst. 

I don't expect good grades from the "snapshot" style analysts that are doing nothing more than pumping out instant draft grades ASAP to get hits while the draft is still hot.

We'll get our first progress report soon enough, because a lot of these guys will be asked to contribute from day 1. 

This is a draft that hardcore fans and football people will appreciate far more than the typical mainstream analyst. 

I don't expect good grades from the "snapshot" style analysts that are doing nothing more than pumping out instant draft grades ASAP to get hits while the draft is still hot.

We'll get our first progress report soon enough, because a lot of these guys will be asked to contribute from day 1. 

I agree 100%.

Successful teams build quality 53-man rosters, and my question after a Colts draft that obviously didn't impress most of these wow factor-driven "experts" is....

Did we upgrade our 53-man roster with 1-2 starters/eventual starters and 2 or 3 solid depth chart upgrades with this draft?

Because with us picking 24th overall and late in almost every other round...I would consider those accomplishments a success. If we somehow snag a ROY candidate or a late round steal like Robert Mathis...then all the better.

I personally felt the Jaguars had an outstanding re-building draft, without a QB drafted. Like Gus Bradley made Richard Sherman with the Seahawks, he is going to coach his DBs real good. If they did not have a franchise QB, it made sense to build other parts.

I would be shocked if the Jaguars are not competitive on the defensive side. Besides, if Chad Henne can give them 20-27 points consistently, they might win a few games they are not expected to win, IMO, because of their D.

I also thought the Jags drafted well. I'm also in the vast minority that thinks Gabbert should get one last opportunity to win the starting job there. I honestly feel bad for the kid - they threw him into the fire way too soon, which is the surest way to ruin a young QB.

Wanted to quote you so you knew where this thread had been moved to. Any new draft specific threads should be started in the draft forum. Thank you for your help.

Thanks and sorry about that.  This draft has the feel of one where the players are so unflashy it turns out great. It's up to the coaches to make the unflashy flashy.  Pats have been doing it for over a decade.  

So what team do you exactly root for? Cause it is apparent, It isn't the colts! After their first pick you gave them a F- now you are looking for any artical that gives it a bad grade, why not show the other grades that gave us B's even a few gave us A. Do us all a favor and hit the road already... You are nothing but a Troll

So is rotoworld not a fantasy football-centric page? Can't generate much stats with Trench warriors, only makes sense to me that they would grade our draft additions low......but in the bigger picture, do we as fans really care what people with Journalism degrees think about our football teams draft? Its almost like having a giraffe give you a second opinion on that heart irregularity....

So what team do you exactly root for? Cause it is apparent, It isn't the colts! After their first pick you gave them a F- now you are looking for any artical that gives it a bad grade, why not show the other grades that gave us B's even a few gave us A. Do us all a favor and hit the road already... You are nothing but a Troll

Been a troll since 1984! Problem is I hate to see weird decisions by management mess up a good thing.  I've honestly seen maybe 1 out of every 10 grades better than a B-.  It really wasn't a very good draft at least not initially but could turn out ok in a few years.  I do doubt it though.  Frustrating and puzzling to say the least.

Well, the last draft that the media (and fans) loved was in 2007, which was just full of recognizable names:  Anthony Gonzalez, Tony Ugoh, Daymeion Hughes, Quinn Pitcock, Roy Friggin' Hall....

How'd that turn out?  ;)  The one guy that made it (Clint Session), was a mid rounder that no one really knew anything about.

I hated that draft. 

I had a sour feeling in my stomach leading up to the 07' draft because I really felt we'd take the man who slept in a compression chamber (that screams diva), sure enough Polian did.  Then to add insult to injury we gave up a future 1st to move up 22 selections in the 2nd for Yugo (64th & fut. 1st). 

I really despise trading future picks too, unless we get a stud like VDavis.  The Montori trade is different, the net present value of an early 5th today is higher than a presumed late 4th next year.  I am not endorsing Montori, but that was a good trade based on swapping picks.

I could care less about the critics.

I also thought the Jags drafted well. I'm also in the vast minority that thinks Gabbert should get one last opportunity to win the starting job there. I honestly feel bad for the kid - they threw him into the fire way too soon, which is the surest way to ruin a young QB.

Some can survive/thrive, others can't/don't.  

Can- D. Marino, P. Manning, M. Ryan, A. Luck to name a few

Can't- D. Carr, T. Couch, Akili Smith, J. Harrington... to name a few

Been a troll since 1984! Problem is I hate to see weird decisions by management mess up a good thing.  I've honestly seen maybe 1 out of every 10 grades better than a B-.  It really wasn't a very good draft at least not initially but could turn out ok in a few years.  I do doubt it though.  Frustrating and puzzling to say the least.

What was so frustrating or puzzling??? Grigson has been on record saying he wasn't one to go after "Flashy" types...

Colts needed to upgrade OLB/Pass Rush, Grigs/Pagano addressed that with Werner (they seemed to do their due diligence & worked him out exstensively), the Colts needed to address the OL to protect Luck, they did that with Thornton & Holmes (two players who are supposed to be two of the better players in the draft that "Fit" the scheme Pep plans on running)

Colts also may have scored a good NT/DL prospect in Hughes, a quality S in Boyett, & a possible steal steal of a RB/KR in the 7th in Kerwyn Williams...

Reading mocks & seeing where players are "projected" to go makes for an interesting off season & draft, but that doesn't take into consideration a teams FULL evaluation of a player... I am sure players "On field performance" only paints a part of the evaluation process,  fans just aren't privy to what/how the FO views players...

There is a reason the "draft-niks" are only managing FANTASY teams and writing draft grades...

I guess I'd be curious as to who you feel the Colts "missed" in the draft that would've been better picks to address the teams needs & fit the temas scheme & vision going forward???

I always find it interesting that people start shouting "troll" just about any time they disagree with a post. There are many ratings that of this same vein. They may not be right but they do exist and posting it hardly makes someone a troll. I think people that start calling names should be banned but that is just me....