Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2013 NFL Draft Sleepers

Guys I think were big steals.

Montee Ball -- Denver Broncos (2nd Round -- 58th Overall)

Ball is my favorite running back in the draft, and will impress. He does everything very well, and runs very well in between the tackles. That's perfect for an offense like the Broncos. He'll have to compete for Moreno and Hillman for playing time, but because he's a high pick and talented, he should see his fair share of snaps. I think he'll be a 1000 yard running back in a couple of years.

Keenan Allen -- San Diego Chargers (3rd Round -- 76th Overall)

Allen was my #17 player on my big board and he took a 59 spot tumble. I have never seen a surefire first round player go in the 3rd round. He's a talented, big, strong receiver with good hands. With the Chargers lacking a good, consistent receiver, Allen could go in a start right away. He can be very good with Rivers in a pass heavy system.

Chris Harper -- Seattle Seahawks (4th Round -- 123rd Overall)

Harper is one of my favorite receivers in the draft. He has good potential in the league and does everything well. The Seahawks have Harvin and Tate as starters, but Harper could rotate in and see his fair share of playing time. With the Seahawks most likely passing more, Harper do well. He has the potential to start in a few years.

Stepfan Taylor -- Arizona Cardinals (5th Round -- 140th Overall)

Taylor was another underrated running back in college. He looked extremely good at Stanford and seemed to be the heart of that offense this last season. I gave him a 3rd round grade, with the chance of going in the 4th. He went in the 5th, which makes this a great value pick. On top of that, the Cardinals running back situation is a question mark now, so Taylor will see his snaps and could compete for the starting spot.

Ricky Wagner -- Baltimore Ravens (5th Round -- 168th Overall)

I like Wagner a lot too. Wagner is a great run blocker with good strength. He now must improve on his pass protection. If he improves that, he can become the starting right tackle of the Ravens. McKinnie is most likely gone, and they need another tackle to play with Michael Oher. Wagner could be that guy if he improves in training camp.

Ryan Swope -- Arizona Cardinals (6th Round -- 174th Overall)

Swope had a big drop in the draft. I had him going in the 3rd round and he went in the 6th. This is more common than what Allen went through. Swope is a fast talented receiver with good hands. WIth the receiver situation being very iffy, Swope will have a chance to start. Fitz will start, Roberts will most likely start as well. Then, Swope will fight with Floyd for the #3 spot. Floyd has the upper hand, but Swope will most likely see the field, and in the new Bruce Arians offense, that means he could have an impact.

Chris Gragg -- Buffalo Bills (7th Round -- 222nd Overall)

This one is a very big sleeper. No one recognizes the guys in the 7th round, and believe that they have no chance. I like his chances of making the roster, and I like his chances of getting onto the field. The Bills will be using a two tight end set (not all the time, but a bit), which means that Gragg could see the field as a #2 tight end. Gragg is very athletic and impressed at Arkansas. I think he could see some production as a rookie.

You vastly overrated Ball who already has a ton of mileage on him. 

What a crazy theory... I can name you many RBs who had as big or bigger workloads as Montee Ball and had very successful NFL careers.

Deangelo Williams had more carries than Ball and he has had a very successful career.

Adrian Peterson had 800 carries (150 less than Ball) in 3 years (1 year less) and you know, he's pretty good.

This is the biggest one, so get ready. CEDRIC BENSON had 1150 carries (200 more than Ball) and he's had a good career.

If you think he's going to be bad because of that, that's very silly. 

Swope is a MAJOR medical risk, due to multiple concussions.     His next could be his last in the NFL.

Definitely a risk because of the concussions you mentioned, but if he stays healthy, which I believe he can, then watch out, especially in the Arians offense. 

I disagree on Ball. He does everything at a mediocre level and was a big reach.

I do get he is not blazing fast but he makes good cuts is stronger then what he looks and has some pass blocking ability, I'd agree he does not do anything flashy but I think he can be a pro bowler in Denver and have multiple 1000 yard seasons 

Guys I think were big steals.

Montee Ball -- Denver Broncos (2nd Round -- 58th Overall)

Ball is my favorite running back in the draft, and will impress. He does everything very well, and runs very well in between the tackles. That's perfect for an offense like the Broncos. He'll have to compete for Moreno and Hillman for playing time, but because he's a high pick and talented, he should see his fair share of snaps. I think he'll be a 1000 yard running back in a couple of years.

Keenan Allen -- San Diego Chargers (3rd Round -- 76th Overall)

Allen was my #17 player on my big board and he took a 59 spot tumble. I have never seen a surefire first round player go in the 3rd round. He's a talented, big, strong receiver with good hands. With the Chargers lacking a good, consistent receiver, Allen could go in a start right away. He can be very good with Rivers in a pass heavy system.

Chris Harper -- Seattle Seahawks (4th Round -- 123rd Overall)

Harper is one of my favorite receivers in the draft. He has good potential in the league and does everything well. The Seahawks have Harvin and Tate as starters, but Harper could rotate in and see his fair share of playing time. With the Seahawks most likely passing more, Harper do well. He has the potential to start in a few years.

Stepfan Taylor -- Arizona Cardinals (5th Round -- 140th Overall)

Taylor was another underrated running back in college. He looked extremely good at Stanford and seemed to be the heart of that offense this last season. I gave him a 3rd round grade, with the chance of going in the 4th. He went in the 5th, which makes this a great value pick. On top of that, the Cardinals running back situation is a question mark now, so Taylor will see his snaps and could compete for the starting spot.

Ricky Wagner -- Baltimore Ravens (5th Round -- 168th Overall)

I like Wagner a lot too. Wagner is a great run blocker with good strength. He now must improve on his pass protection. If he improves that, he can become the starting right tackle of the Ravens. McKinnie is most likely gone, and they need another tackle to play with Michael Oher. Wagner could be that guy if he improves in training camp.

Ryan Swope -- Arizona Cardinals (6th Round -- 174th Overall)

Swope had a big drop in the draft. I had him going in the 3rd round and he went in the 6th. This is more common than what Allen went through. Swope is a fast talented receiver with good hands. WIth the receiver situation being very iffy, Swope will have a chance to start. Fitz will start, Roberts will most likely start as well. Then, Swope will fight with Floyd for the #3 spot. Floyd has the upper hand, but Swope will most likely see the field, and in the new Bruce Arians offense, that means he could have an impact.

Chris Gragg -- Buffalo Bills (7th Round -- 222nd Overall)

This one is a very big sleeper. No one recognizes the guys in the 7th round, and believe that they have no chance. I like his chances of making the roster, and I like his chances of getting onto the field. The Bills will be using a two tight end set (not all the time, but a bit), which means that Gragg could see the field as a #2 tight end. Gragg is very athletic and impressed at Arkansas. I think he could see some production as a rookie.

Andy, you may have answered this before, but do you write for foxsports yardbarker?

About Ball and Swope who appear to get the attention here...

The analysis I heard about Ball that made the most sense to me was this....   even if you buy into the high mileage theory on him, for the Broncos,  who cares,  because their future is the next 3-4 years with Peyton.   And Ball should be fine for 3-4 years.   He may not earn a great second contract,  but Denver is only focused on winning during this short Peyton Window....

As for Swope....   OK,  he's got a history of concussions.   But (A)  the NFL and Cardinals doctors have cleared him....  and (B)  he only cost them a 6th round pick.    Not a high price if it doesn't work out for them.   And he might deliver more than one might expect for most 6th rounders....

Just some different perspectives to consider.....

By the way.....   nice job Andy....    one sleeper in each round....   good job!       :thmup:

About Ball and Swope who appear to get the attention here...

The analysis I heard about Ball that made the most sense to me was this....   even if you buy into the high mileage theory on him, for the Broncos,  who cares,  because their future is the next 3-4 years with Peyton.   And Ball should be fine for 3-4 years.   He may not earn a great second contract,  but Denver is only focused on winning during this short Peyton Window....

As for Swope....   OK,  he's got a history of concussions.   But (A)  the NFL and Cardinals doctors have cleared him....  and (B)  he only cost them a 6th round pick.    Not a high price if it doesn't work out for them.   And he might deliver more than one might expect for most 6th rounders....

Just some different perspectives to consider.....

By the way.....   nice job Andy....    one sleeper in each round....   good job!       :thmup:

ESPN, NFP, or somebody studied the whole "RB with high mileage" theory a few weeks ago.....it's bogus.

ESPN, NFP, or somebody studied the whole "RB with high mileage" theory a few weeks ago.....it's bogus.

I hope that's true....   because that was a knock on Stanford's Stepfan Taylor.   I actually wanted him to turn pro a year ago because of the high mileage concept...   glad he came back...   helped take us to our first Rose Bowl in 40+ years....

Hope he has a good pro career....