Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

AFC East

dw49

Usually teams look better after free agency and the draft. Thinking about our division , the AFC South , all four of those teams look to have helped themselves in a huge way. Even Houston , who has very little cap wiggle  and drafted late , seemed to add some great pieces. Tenn. turned a horrible O Line into one that will probably rank as a top 5 O line bu years end. Jacksonville maybe turned the corner and the Colts certainly filled holes and added depth.

The AFC East on the other hand , has two teams that appear to be in "no man's land."

The Jets jettison maybe the best defensive player in the league away and end up with Milner as 90% of the compensation. They have a sketchy rookie for a QB and provided him with ZERO , NADA , NO weapons. Worst part of this is they probably didn't answer the QB issue going down the road. IMO , this team is cooked for at least 3 years.

The Bills are equally inept. They have spent a fortune in free agency on the defensive side of the ball and still have teams pile up points on them. They had an early pick in this draft and do a horrible job at trading down and adding picks. IMO , they are almost as unlikely to be a factor as the Jets in the next 2-3 years. Just no way they will be good enough to overcome what they have at the QB position.

The Dolphins are a big mystery at this point in time. If Tannyhill is the real deal , they should be a good team. Huge if .. I don't think anyone really knows on this one. He wasn't asked to do a whole lot last year and we'll just have to wait and see. At least they went all out with the cap space they had and added a tremendous amount in the off season. They structured those contracts in such a manner that they were able to spend a small fortune. So we'll see here.

The Pats are the ones that really benefit from the first two teams I mentioned. Just seems to work perfectly considering Brady probably has two good years left in him. So in what might be a 2-3 year window , they get the benefit of having only one legit challenger in the division plus what boils down to a given 4 easy wins a year. Huge advantage over the rest of the teams in the AFC.

Bills will suprise.

They added Robert Woods, Goodwin, and Da'Rick Rogers to go along with Stevie Johnson, Fred Jackson, and CJ Spiller. I think that Manuel was a reach, but he'll be solid with all of those weapons.

As it stands the Bills have arguably more offensive talent than any team in the East and a solid O-line.

Bills will suprise.

They added Robert Woods, Goodwin, and Da'Rick Rogers to go along with Stevie Johnson, Fred Jackson, and CJ Spiller. I think that Manuel was a reach, but he'll be solid with all of those weapons.

As it stands the Bills have arguably more offensive talent than any team in the East and a solid O-line.

You can't win in this league anymore without an above average QB. I also don't feel their offensive line is anything close to a team strength. In the last few years they've lost their left tackle to the Eagles and best guard to Tenn. Bills just seem to be the Bills. Last year they sign Mario Williams and Anderson and the defense stinks just as badly. 

Robert Woods is solid but no game changer and anyone could have had Rogers.

Bills will suprise.

Good post.

I think the Bills will do well next year. They must think EJ Manuel is a good fit for them or they simply wouldn't have taken him so high. They didn't need to.

And I know you're big on Da'Rick Rogers :P He could emerge as another playmaker alongside Stevie Johnson over the next couple of seasons.

Edit: Also Kiko Alonso and Duke Williams are solid picks imo.

Usually teams look better after free agency and the draft. Thinking about our division , the AFC South , all four of those teams look to have helped themselves in a huge way. Even Houston , who has very little cap wiggle  and drafted late , seemed to add some great pieces. Tenn. turned a horrible O Line into one that will probably rank as a top 5 O line bu years end. Jacksonville maybe turned the corner and the Colts certainly filled holes and added depth.

The AFC East on the other hand , has two teams that appear to be in "no man's land."

The Jets jettison maybe the best defensive player in the league away and end up with Milner as 90% of the compensation. They have a sketchy rookie for a QB and provided him with ZERO , NADA , NO weapons. Worst part of this is they probably didn't answer the QB issue going down the road. IMO , this team is cooked for at least 3 years.

The Bills are equally inept. They have spent a fortune in free agency on the defensive side of the ball and still have teams pile up points on them. They had an early pick in this draft and do a horrible job at trading down and adding picks. IMO , they are almost as unlikely to be a factor as the Jets in the next 2-3 years. Just no way they will be good enough to overcome what they have at the QB position.

The Dolphins are a big mystery at this point in time. If Tannyhill is the real deal , they should be a good team. Huge if .. I don't think anyone really knows on this one. He wasn't asked to do a whole lot last year and we'll just have to wait and see. At least they went all out with the cap space they had and added a tremendous amount in the off season. They structured those contracts in such a manner that they were able to spend a small fortune. So we'll see here.

The Pats are the ones that really benefit from the first two teams I mentioned. Just seems to work perfectly considering Brady probably has two good years left in him. So in what might be a 2-3 year window , they get the benefit of having only one legit challenger in the division plus what boils down to a given 4 easy wins a year. Huge advantage over the rest of the teams in the AFC.

The Jags are right there with the Bills and Jets, maybe worse. The Titans are not a good team, maybe a hair above the Bills and Jets. The Texans are the favs for sure with the Colts. I think the Fins will push the Pats as they made a lot of nice moves and Tannellhill is legit. They should push the Pats, the same way the Colts should push the Texans. Actually I think the Colts have a great shot at the division. Fins not so much, but probably a wild card.

The worst division in the AFC is by far the West with the exception of the Broncs. Peyton has the easiest path to the division and the #1 seed again as a result.

The Jags are right there with the Bills and Jets, maybe worse. The Titans are not a good team, maybe a hair above the Bills and Jets. The Texans are the favs for sure with the Colts. I think the Fins will push the Pats as they made a lot of nice moves and Tannellhill is legit. They should push the Pats, the same way the Colts should push the Texans. Actually I think the Colts have a great shot at the division. Fins not so much, but probably a wild card.

The worst division in the AFC is by far the West with the exception of the Broncs. Peyton has the easiest path to the division and the #1 seed again as a result.

Yes the Jags are bad. But the fact remains that the Jets and Bills are clueless. Also it's neat to say Tannyhill is legit , but I'm from Kanas. *

* If you don't know what that means . It more or less says "talk is just talk." Sounds good saying it but where I'm from , they want a little proof , not just some words.

Just makes up for that decade or so when the Titans, Jaguars, and Texans were among the worst in the league 

I wasn't comparing the relative strengths of schedule between the Colts and Pats for 10 years. Just saying the Pats are going to benefit from these two boneheaded franchises. Do you realize what it means to have a CB just "zero out " the other team's best WR ? Revis was in a league of his own and these monkeys trade him for the 13th pick in a draft that has no impact players. Now they have a QB that is probably going to stink and they provide him with no WR's , no TE's and a retread RB from N.O. Pathetic... But in any event , I have no idea of how your comment relates to this post. Not that I have a problem with it .

Yes the Jags are bad. But the fact remains that the Jets and Bills are clueless. Also it's neat to say Tannyhill is legit , but I'm from Kanas. *

* If you don't know what that means . It more or less says "talk is just talk." Sounds good saying it but where I'm from , they want a little proof , not just some words.

I really don’t think the Pats path is much more difficult than the Texans path to repeat as division champs and certainly not as easy as the Broncos as they played in the worst division in football last year and Oakland is well, Oakland - more inept than the Jets and the Chargers are right there with the Bills. I suppose the Chiefs have a chance to be much better because of Reid and Smith but they are really the only team that can probably give them two competitive games.

It also may surprise you to know that the Patriots have only ever swept their division twice in their history. 2007 when they went undefeated in the regular season and last season where they probably should have lost to the Jets at home and had a nail biter with Miami in Miami where Brady threw two picks – one of his few games where he even had a pick much less two.

Also in 2003 when they went 14-2, their first loss was a blowout to the Bills at home and in 2004 when they went 14-2 again, their last game was their second loss of the season to Miami which cost them the overall #1 seed to the Steelers who went 15-1 that year.

My point is divisional games are always tough. The only team from the division that the Pats have really owned is the Bills. Brady has some ridiculous record against them, I think 19-3. The other teams have always given the Pats at least one if not two competitive games a year and more often than not take a game off them.

In terms of Tannehill, I agree he still has a lot to prove. But he looked like a quality QB last year especially compared with the recent Dolphin QBs of the past. He also has a nice deep target in Wallace and a really nice tight end in Keller. He already had a very good D last year. They will be formidable for sure.

But even if the Pats go 5-1 or 4-2 in the division, they still have to play 10 other games and those games will be the ones that decide where they place for the playoffs especially when they play the other AFC divisional winners – Texans, Ravens, Broncos. Those are the games that will decide everything in terms of the seeding.

I wasn't comparing the relative strengths of schedule between the Colts and Pats for 10 years. Just saying the Pats are going to benefit from these two boneheaded franchises. Do you realize what it means to have a CB just "zero out " the other team's best WR ? Revis was in a league of his own and these monkeys trade him for the 13th pick in a draft that has no impact players. Now they have a QB that is probably going to stink and they provide him with no WR's , no TE's and a retread RB from N.O. Pathetic... But in any event , I have no idea of how your comment relates to this post. Not that I have a problem with it .

yes, directly it does not necessarily have to do with your OP . . . however from a qualifying standpoint it kind of does . . . basically what goes around comes around . . . yes the AFC East competitiors, until proven otherwise, are weak and the pats benefit . . . but this benefit has helped many other great teams in the past and now its the pats turn at this table , so that is all VL was pointing out . . . kind of like if i came on here and got upset about a report that the AFC East competitors were taping our coaches signals and wanted to get your all feedback on the matter, me thinking it might not matter but what are all your thoughts?  Technically, Spygate is not relevant to this matter as I am only talking about present days events, but there might one or two people who might think and or say that your team gained the benefit, however slight, now someone else is . . . so it not on point, but it qualifies an issue  . . . 

Interestingly, when I first joined a Pittsburgh Steelers fan forum a year or so ago, I got into a discussion about the relative strengths of our divisions teams and the Steelers fans felt like the AFC North was stronger than the AFC East (and that we always had an eaiser time over the 2000s) . . . although it may appear that way because of the last 3-4 years, but if one looks at the win loss percentage of the teams outside of pitt/NE, for the decade of 2000s one will find that the W/L of the three other teams only differs be a few games over 10 years and three teams . . . some forget how strong the AFC east was the first half of the decade . . . so yes the pats are benefiting from a division with a team or two that is in no mans land . . .  

Regarding your specific points in your OP . . . I have a few comments . . .

Yes Revis was great, although I do question this some as he did at times get help over the top, he did blow out his knee and one is not sure how effective he will be as he is in a position that requires speed and cutting ability . . . so he may not be the same Revis . . . second, I think that the Jets just got tired of his antics regarding his pay and just felt it better to cut ties . . . sure as fans and commentators we sometimes just look stats and the player, but at times if the man is a problem on the team whch might effet other players, then it sometimes better to break ties with the player . . . so for me I dont see it so much as a bonehead move . . . Unfortunately, they have a somewhat of a bust in Sanchez and when you have a problem at that position it is tough to fix it unless a Brady or Luck falls into your hands . . . and they did pick a QB in the draft . . .

The Bills always seem to have bad luck . ..

time will tell how Miami does, Tannerhill could develope more . . .

I would make one point however about the present day AFC and that is that the AFC West is pretty weak and could be argued by many is weaker than the AFC East . . . 13-35 as opposed to 19-29 of the repsective opponents of Denver and NE, last year . . . so of the three strongest teams in the AFC (Den-Ne-Hou) Den is in the weaker division . . . indeed looking at last years record it is the AFC East with the strongest winning percentage of the three divisions, among divisional oppoenents . . . so I would not go so fast to say that the AFC East has provided the Pats with a benefit at the cost to the other AFC teams when those team performed the best of the three divisions in question . ..

Time will tell if the additions in SD and KC help and if jets and bill  get their QB situation fix and if indeed a recovering Revis lost is as bad as some think . . .

Broncos have the easiest path no doubt. Pats are right behind them as Dolphins may be a threat, but it remains to be seen. Im ready to say the Texans will have a tough time, they barely squaked us out and our team should make greater strides than theirs considering how many new guys we had. Ravens may already be unserdogs in their own division with how good Pitt is and Cincy's potential.

Broncos have the easiest path no doubt. Pats are right behind them as Dolphins may be a threat, but it remains to be seen. Im ready to say the Texans will have a tough time, they barely squaked us out and our team should make greater strides than theirs considering how many new guys we had. Ravens may already be unserdogs in their own division with how good Pitt is and Cincy's potential.

ya i pretty much agree with you . . . I would just add that we see how KC will do with Reed and Co . .  may not win the division but might take a game away from Denver . . . And we see what Houston does after how they ended the season, which indy going 11-5 last year, I think the AFC South will be a tied one . . . As for Baltimore, yes, they have gotten a tad weaker and were falling at the end of last season, so we'll see if they  bootstrap some emotion/confidence from the SB victory into this year . . . it should be a good year and i am looking forward to the two indy-houston games . . .

also given the above that Den-Balt game is going to be really fun to watch . . .

fortunately the pats are lucky as thier division is down going into the year and likely for the next few as the OP mentioned . . .

yes, directly it does not necessarily have to do with your OP . . . however from a qualifying standpoint it kind of does . . . basically what goes around comes around . . . yes the AFC East competitiors, until proven otherwise, are weak and the pats benefit . . . but this benefit has helped many other great teams in the past and now its the pats turn at this table , so that is all VL was pointing out . . . kind of like if i came on here and got upset about a report that the AFC East competitors were taping our coaches signals and wanted to get your all feedback on the matter, me thinking it might not matter but what are all your thoughts?  Technically, Spygate is not relevant to this matter as I am only talking about present days events, but there might one or two people who might think and or say that your team gained the benefit, however slight, now someone else is . . . so it not on point, but it qualifies an issue  . . . 

Interestingly, when I first joined a Pittsburgh Steelers fan forum a year or so ago, I got into a discussion about the relative strengths of our divisions teams and the Steelers fans felt like the AFC North was stronger than the AFC East (and that we always had an eaiser time over the 2000s) . . . although it may appear that way because of the last 3-4 years, but if one looks at the win loss percentage of the teams outside of pitt/NE, for the decade of 2000s one will find that the W/L of the three other teams only differs be a few games over 10 years and three teams . . . some forget how strong the AFC east was the first half of the decade . . . so yes the pats are benefiting from a division with a team or two that is in no mans land . . .  

Regarding your specific points in your OP . . . I have a few comments . . .

Yes Revis was great, although I do question this some as he did at times get help over the top, he did blow out his knee and one is not sure how effective he will be as he is in a position that requires speed and cutting ability . . . so he may not be the same Revis . . . second, I think that the Jets just got tired of his antics regarding his pay and just felt it better to cut ties . . . sure as fans and commentators we sometimes just look stats and the player, but at times if the man is a problem on the team whch might effet other players, then it sometimes better to break ties with the player . . . so for me I dont see it so much as a bonehead move . . . Unfortunately, they have a somewhat of a bust in Sanchez and when you have a problem at that position it is tough to fix it unless a Brady or Luck falls into your hands . . . and they did pick a QB in the draft . . .

The Bills always seem to have bad luck . ..

time will tell how Miami does, Tannerhill could develope more . . .

I would make one point however about the present day AFC and that is that the AFC West is pretty weak and could be argued by many is weaker than the AFC East . . . 13-35 as opposed to 19-29 of the repsective opponents of Denver and NE, last year . . . so of the three strongest teams in the AFC (Den-Ne-Hou) Den is in the weaker division . . . indeed looking at last years record it is the AFC East with the strongest winning percentage of the three divisions, among divisional oppoenents . . . so I would not go so fast to say that the AFC East has provided the Pats with a benefit at the cost to the other AFC teams when those team performed the best of the three divisions in question . ..

Time will tell if the additions in SD and KC help and if jets and bill  get their QB situation fix and if indeed a recovering Revis lost is as bad as some think . . .

I'll just answer your post as you took the most time responding to mine. Most of you have issue with my thread as Denver has an easier "route " the the Pats. First of all I didn't say that Denver did not also have a easy division also. Statistics could back that up but I'm not sure it's true. SD may have just had a bad year and they might have a better team than Miami. KC really does have some talent and Smith is a solid QB. They look vastly improved and I'm willing to place a fun wager with any of you that they win as many or more games than the Jets. Oakland is a mess. 

In any event , I really didn't say that they had the easiest schedule in football. Nor did I say that there were not other teams that enjoy similar situations. What I did say is they were very lucky that in the twilight of Brady's career , they are and will be the recipients of the good fortune of being in the league with a team with 3 left feet and another that is going with a rookie QB that stinks and has zero weapons. The Jets are truly buffoons. Instead of drafting two defensive players in the first round , they should have traded down with at least pick 13 and secured a few offensive players to help Smith out. Instead they have visions of competing this year and draft defensive guys. Who had a bigger pile of defensive poop than the 2012 Colts. They drafted Andrew luck and spent pretty much their total 11 draft picks on helping him out. Grigson was no genius doing that .. any GM with a half a brain would do the same. 

Let me finish by saying that Brady is superlative and the pats would win any division in the NFL with relative ease other than the AFC West or NFC West. I was just making a point that they are catching a break as these two teams are going no where. 

The Chiefs are to the Broncos what the Colts are to the Texans. I find the situations similar, with an unproven team chasing a top dog. Thankfully we get to play the AFC West this year, and I could see us having success with the NFC West too, maybe beating the Cardinals, Rams, and Seahawks and losing to the 49ers. I do think the Broncos have an easier path than us but they will have some trouble with those NFC East teams, specifically the Redskins and Cowboys, and maybe the Giants.

The Chiefs are to the Broncos what the Colts are to the Texans. I find the situations similar, with an unproven team chasing a top dog. Thankfully we get to play the AFC West this year, and I could see us having success with the NFC West too, maybe beating the Cardinals, Rams, and Seahawks and losing to the 49ers. I do think the Broncos have an easier path than us but they will have some trouble with those NFC East teams, specifically the Redskins and Cowboys, and maybe the Giants.

I agree with this but I would be shocked if you went 3-1 in the NFC West. All of those teams got better from last year even the Cards. 2-2 would be more realistic.

I agree with this but I would be shocked if you went 3-1 in the NFC West. All of those teams got better from last year even the Cards. 2-2 would be more realistic.

Yeah, 2-2 does sound more like it. Maybe we'll lose in a shocker to the Cardinals or maybe we'll lose to the best two, Seattle and San Fran. Idk yet lol.

Yeah, 2-2 does sound more like it. Maybe we'll lose in a shocker to the Cardinals or maybe we'll lose to the best two, Seattle and San Fran. Idk yet lol.

Yeah, the Pats went 1-3 last year and managed to lose at home to Kevin Kolb. Awful. I hope you do better than that. I think the niners and hawks will be scary good.

Yeah, the Pats went 1-3 last year and managed to lose at home to Kevin Kolb. Awful. I hope you do better than that. I think the niners and hawks will be scary good.

haha, now Kolb is in Buffalo! Bring on Palmer! :rock: No but seriously hopefully our defense can contain the likes of Kaep and Wilson. I think our offense can do well against the Seahawks defense but that's just my thought process. I like the fact that we get to face tough competition though, because if and when we win, it'll make us look even more formidable ha.

Take any year in the last decade and compare the total winning percentages of any division and I think you'll be surprised. There's not much of a gap between worst and best.

That is a good point. I remember back in 2001, the Fins were right there challenging the Pats for the division until the final game of the season. In 2002, the Pats did not win the division because of tiebreakers - all three teams, pats, fins, jets finished at 9-7. Then in 2008 with Cassell, the Pats missed the playoffs again at 11-5 because it lost the division on a tiebreaker to the Fins who were also 11-5. In 2010 when the Pats went 13-4, the Jets beat them twice that year, including a home playoff game when the Pats were the #1 seed and the Jets were the #6 seed.

These last couple of seasons skew the overall landscape of the AFC East which has been a pretty competitive division throughout its history.

I hate to break it to you but the AFC South as a whole plays the easiest schedule of any other division this season. The Colts have the easiest schedule in the league

There are your stats that you asked for.

2002-2010 AFCE with Patriots: 305-271

2002-2010 AFCE without Patriots: 195-237

2002-2010 AFCE weighted: 161-127

2002-2010 AFCS with Colts: 312-264

2002-2010 AFCS without Colts: 203-229

2002-2010 AFCS weighted: 168-120

Like I said not much difference.

Served.

I hate to break it to you but the AFC South as a whole plays the easiest schedule of any other division this season. The Colts have the easiest schedule in the league

The way they figure strength of schedule is absurd. The Colts have a ton of tough games but the number of "difficult games to win " doesn't figure into the equation. What drags them down is the fact that they play three games against Jacksonville and KC. So you have a 6-42 record bringing the % they rate the schedules by way down. If you go by how many tough games each team has , there is no way they have what would be considered to have an easy schedule

Not saying that talking heads are the end all but someone appears to agree with what I stated. 

The ESPN power poll which is a composit of a bunch of writers has Buffalo rated 30th and the Jets 32nd. 

2013 Strength of schedule Team

SOS
Opponent record Carolina Panthers
138-116-2 Detroit Lions
138-118-0 New Orleans Saints
137-117-2 St. Louis Rams
137-117-2 Baltimore Ravens
137-119-0 Green Bay Packers
136-119-1 Arizona Cardinals
131-121-4 Miami Dolphins
133-123-0 San Francisco 49ers
132-122-2 Minnesota Vikings
132-124-0 Seattle Seahawks
130-122-4 Cincinnati Bengals
130-126-0 Jacksonville Jaguars
129-125-2 New England Patriots
130-126-0 Atlanta Falcons
128-126-0 Chicago Bears
128-127-1 Tampa Bay Buccaneers
127-127-2 Washington Redskins
127-128-1 New York Jets
127-129-0 Philadelphia Eagles
127-129-0 Cleveland Browns
126-130-0 Pittsburgh Steelers
126-130-0 Tennessee Titans
124-130-2 New York Giants
123-133-0 Dallas Cowboys
121-134-1 Buffalo Bills
121-135-0 Houston Texans
120-134-2 Kansas City Chiefs
121-135-0 Oakland Raiders
120-136-0 Indianapolis Colts
117-137-2 San Diego Chargers
117-139-0 Denver Broncos
110-146-0

Here we go, the lousy strength of schedule argument. It is not the strength of schedule in the beginning, it is the one at the end that counts.

At the beginning of the year last year, the Texans had one of the easiest schedules in the league. Lo behold, the Colts go from 2-14 and the Broncos go from 8-8 to 13-3, that vaulted the Texans' schedule to the toughest one in the league.

Anyone that gives me the strength of schedule at the beginning of the year argument, all I can say that it is a joke. Strength of schedule at the end of the year and combined record of opponents at the end of the year matters more to me, the rest is just talking head speak.

Here we go, the lousy strength of schedule argument. It is not the strength of schedule in the beginning, it is the one at the end that counts.

At the beginning of the year last year, the Texans had one of the easiest schedules in the league. Lo behold, the Colts go from 2-14 and the Broncos go from 8-8 to 13-3, that vaulted the Texans' schedule to the toughest one in the league.

Anyone that gives me the strength of schedule at the beginning of the year argument, all I can say that it is a joke. Strength of schedule at the end of the year and combined record of opponents at the end of the year matters more to me, the rest is just talking head speak.

I agree completely. ESPN said the Pats would go undefeated last year at the beginning of the year until the NFC West turned out to be the toughest division in football handing the Pats 3 of their 4 losses.

As long as Tom Brady and BB are still together, they own that division. 

I think EJ will end up being the best QB in the draft, which isn't saying a whole lot, but better than Geno. Bills have a lot of weapons but they need them because that D is horrible.

Geno doesn't seem like a franchise QB to me, and is slowly starting to look like a bust. Also the Jets are a couple years away from contending again.

Dolphins are the ones that could challenge the Pats as the top dog in the division but I don't see Tannehill and Co. breaking that glass ceiling.