Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Re-Sign Qb Dan Orlovsky

1959Colts

Can I ask a simple question. WHY ARE WE NOT SIGNING GARRARD. He can throw, move in the pocket, and has expierience and has wins under his belt. JIM IRSAY sign DAVID GARRARD! This is season is 0-3 we need a change I saw wonderful life in Indy against the steelers we need a new quarterback, we cannot count on painter playin well everygame. Collins is too old and fragile its over for him.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why would they replace Painter?

Well, how's if Painter stinks the house out Monday night?

Did you see those nose-down underthrows vs Pitt?

Here's the exact quote from Dan after he ran for a safety in the vikings game:

"When they started blowing the whistle, I was like, 'Did we false start, or were they offsides or something?'" Orlovsky said. "And I looked, and I was just like, 'You're an *.'

Sounds like someone you would want in a pressure situation huh.... Painter came in the game with pressure on him and he drove the team down field to tie the game... has orlovsky ever done that in his whole career? i think not.

Here's the exact quote from Dan after he ran for a safety in the vikings game:

"When they started blowing the whistle, I was like, 'Did we false start, or were they offsides or something?'" Orlovsky said. "And I looked, and I was just like, 'You're an *.'

Sounds like someone you would want in a pressure situation huh.... Painter came in the game with pressure on him and he drove the team down field to tie the game... has orlovsky ever done that in his whole career? i think not.

Yeah there is no denying that was a stupid play Orlovsky made in the endzone. But he made a mistake. Dont judge the guy on one play. Painter only had that one drive. Big deal.

But they seem to cover everything up.

Not when it comes to NFL rules, and the league just threatend to fine teams for faking injuries. There is nothing to be gained from faking an injury to Collins other than Collins and Polian's pride. If they were that concerned about Polian's pride don't you think former first round draft picks Donald Brown and Gonzo would be playing over a rookie draft pick this year and a 4th and 6th round draft pick and wouldn't a third round pick in Thomas be playing over an undrafted free agent in Lacey?

I have news for you.

After seeing this team sans-Manning, I'm not so sure we were a Super Bowl contender even with manning.

My opinion is that the Colts, in fact, are SB contenders with PM.

With an adequate and prepared back up QB, they're still playoff contenders.

We haven't seen an adequate and prepared QB yet this season.

This Monday we'll know a little bit more about Painter, and if he could fit that bill.

Can I ask a simple question. WHY ARE WE NOT SIGNING GARRARD. He can throw, move in the pocket, and has expierience and has wins under his belt. JIM IRSAY sign DAVID GARRARD! This is season is 0-3 we need a change I saw wonderful life in Indy against the steelers we need a new quarterback, we cannot count on painter playin well everygame. Collins is too old and fragile its over for him.

Why? Nothing Garrard does well works in the Colts system and the things he struggles with are what we need a good QB to doo.

Also frankly we signed David Garrard already, his name is Kerry Collins. To this point it hasn't worked real well and Garrard is going to be a month behind where Collins was in terms of getting the offense down.

There is a reason Orvlosky was brought back, he knows the system at least some what. He's here to back up Painter till Collins is healthy. Then they are going to go with whoever is playing better Painter or Collins.

My opinion is that the Colts, in fact, are SB contenders with PM.

With an adequate and prepared back up QB, they're still playoff contenders.

We haven't seen an adequate and prepared QB yet this season.

This Monday we'll know a little bit more about Painter, and if he could fit that bill.

Right, now is Painter's chance.

Hopefully he surprises me and plays well.

If not, they wont wait long to give him the hook too.

He's not accurate.

He's not disciplined.

He couldn't master the Jags offense.

He doesn't know the playbook.

He doesn't want to be a stop gap 'til PM returns.

All he is, is mobile.

If I can think of anything else, I'll let you know.

Why? Nothing Garrard does well works in the Colts system and the things he struggles with are what we need a good QB to doo.

Also frankly we signed David Garrard already, his name is Kerry Collins. To this point it hasn't worked real well and Garrard is going to be a month behind where Collins was in terms of getting the offense down.

There is a reason Orvlosky was brought back, he knows the system at least some what. He's here to back up Painter till Collins is healthy. Then they are going to go with whoever is playing better Painter or Collins.

I would however disagree with you that, in the Colts eyes, Painter is much farther along than Orlovsky.

I think they were both viewed to be close thru the preseason. And they ended up picking Painter over Dan. But by a narrow margin. I would think, should Painter struggle, Orlovsky will be given a chance as well.

I also think its the end, of the end, for Kerry Collins.

Right, now is Painter's chance.

Hopefully he surprises me and plays well.

If not, they wont wait long to give him the hook too.

I don't know.

I haven't seen confirmation Painter is starting, but assume he is with Orlovsky's arrival,

but I don't think Painter is on a short leash as long a Collins can't go.

To me, it'll be Collins/Painter from here on out, and Orlovsky is only here as an emergency QB.

Just my opinion right now though.

I don't know.

I haven't seen confirmation Painter is starting, but assume he is with Orlovsky's arrival,

but I don't think Painter is on a short leash as long a Collins can't go.

To me, it'll be Collins/Painter from here on out, and Orlovsky is only here as an emergency QB.

Just my opinion right now though.

At this point, neither Collins nor Painter has been very impressive.

Collins actually has looked old, slow and worthless.

And Painter has basically thrown like what? Six passes?

So I would not think, the signing of Dan Orlovsky is strictly for an emergency situation.

And in my opinion, He's probably the best we got.

I would however disagree with you that, in the Colts eyes, Painter is much farther along than Orlovsky.

I think they were both viewed to be close thru the preseason. And they ended up picking Painter over Dan. But by a narrow margin. I would think, should Painter struggle, Orlovsky will be given a chance as well.

I also think its the end, of the end, for Kerry Collins.

I would hope a guy who has been in the system for three years is further along than a guy who was in the system for four games.

How many snaps did Orlovsky take with the starters? At one point was he ever ahead of Painter on the depth chart and don't say the Bengals game. The Colts knew who they were keeping at that point and just didn't see a point to sending Painter out there with the back ups. Fans tend to see what they want to see in terms of poistion battles and every year rather it's Sorgi or Painter fans swear they were out played by someone and were on the verge of being cut. The fact that the Colts never did that till an injury forced them to cut Sorgi seems to suggest other wise. Other than the fans just not liking Painter at the time there was nothing to suggest that the Colts really thought about cutting Painter, if they had they would have played Orlovsky with the first stringers to see what he can do with them.

Who you preform against in the pre-season matters as much as how you preform in the pre-season. First of all Orlovsky did not do great in any of the first three pre-season games playing against other teams back ups. Yes he had a very nice game against the Bengals back ups but Painter had a nice one the week before that against the defending World Champions starters. That out weighs what Orlovsky did against the Bengals.

Like anything in the NFL you don't keep playing musical chairs with your QBs. Teams that tend to do that tend to lose. Yes there might come a point when one proves to not be effective and might make a change but you don't swap them in and out all season and expect anyone to gain any kind of rythem. Frankly that's a large part of the problem with the offense right now. Everyone is out of whack and swapping QBs every other week isn't going to fix that. I will say this on Painter's TD drive the other night, it was the first time all season the offense looked in rythem. So maybe just maybe there is something to this spending time in the Colts offense bit. I think the signing of Orlovsky is a pretty good sign they don't expect Collins to be ready Monday night so I would expect Curtis to get the nod. We'll see how he does and if he can move the offense at all I think you stick with him. If he struggles or isn't any better than Collins I would expect them to go back to Collins when he's healthy. Frankly he's the only one of the three with a proven track record of doing anything in the NFL. That's how the Colts do things. They are very slow to make changes.

Unlike the fans the Colts are not worried about next year, they are worried about winning now so they are going to play who ever gives them the best chance to win. Right now, based on Sunday night that looks to be Painter. With that said he's going to have moments like the over throw to Garcon. That's why he's a back up in this league. You just hope we can get some moments like the TD drive out of him as well.

The Indy Star forum seems to be largely populated by sadistic 12 year olds with ADD (and some Patriot fans). I try not too read those comments anymore for my health.

Ever read what they say to Kravitz? I'm surprised he hasn't taken out a restraining order - or moved.

Yep, it's amazing what nonsense some people will say when they can hide behind their keyboards. :yuk:

Any word on who was let go yet?

Nope; the Colts website isn't reporting ANY transactions since the 22nd and NFL.com only shows Orlovsky's signing.

I have a legit question... How much of the playbook is given to QB's in the off-season? Do they get a watered down version of the playbook or a bunch of vanilla plays or??

So depending on that answer, how much of the playbook can Orlovsky be expected to know at this point? And how much work/familiarity did he have with the #1's during pre-season?

Yeah there is no denying that was a stupid play Orlovsky made in the endzone. But he made a mistake. Dont judge the guy on one play. Painter only had that one drive. Big deal.

So what do you have to judge painter by? painter statistically had a better preseason than dan and in his first meaningful game painter led the team down the field to tie the game.... if collins who has been in the league for so many years and has been a journey man and all that cant do it what makes you think orlovsky would be able to connect with the colts starting receivers.... the colts WR look like they are comfortable with painter, like wayne said the first time you put anyone else in there and you take a step back... every QB misses sure TD's that was painters first time and his first throw... give it a break.

So what do you have to judge painter by? painter statistically had a better preseason than dan and in his first meaningful game painter led the team down the field to tie the game.... if collins who has been in the league for so many years and has been a journey man and all that cant do it what makes you think orlovsky would be able to connect with the colts starting receivers.... the colts WR look like they are comfortable with painter, like wayne said the first time you put anyone else in there and you take a step back... every QB misses sure TD's that was painters first time and his first throw... give it a break.

Not to mention he came in cold and with very few reps since pre-season with the 1st team.

If peyton is back directing plays from the booth it is just a matter of time for painter to become a starter since he has been peyton's student for yrs and he can understand the playbook much better than other qbs. More practice he can kinda give us a mock colts football which is at least better than the titans football we have see in the three weeks.

If peyton is back directing plays from the booth it is just a matter of time for painter to become a starter since he has been peyton's student for yrs and he can understand the playbook much better than other qbs. More practice he can kinda give us a mock colts football which is at least better than the titans football we have see in the three weeks.

Exactly. He may not be Peyton, but he's learned from him for 2 years and knows the offense from all of that clipboard work. He'll get us the closest as possible to what we are used to.

Not to mention he came in cold and with very few reps since pre-season with the 1st team.

Exactly... i think the colts are gonna be much better with painter in... we all saw some of what he did with an actual gameplan in place against the packers.. hopefully he can duplicate that and be much better.

Orlovsky is in my opinion the better quarterback over painter. He wont start and probly wont play. When it comes down to the eye test he looks much more comfortable and aware of whats going on he led us to the comeback win in the pre season and i no everyone will say its the preseason but he had a job to do and he did what was asked of him

Orlovsky is in my opinion the better quarterback over painter. He wont start and probly wont play. When it comes down to the eye test he looks much more comfortable and aware of whats going on he led us to the comeback win in the pre season and i no everyone will say its the preseason but he had a job to do and he did what was asked of him

If that were the case then the Colts would have cut Painter and kept Orlovsky from the start.

I have no real feelings towards this signing he will just be backing up Painter, Collins brief stint in Indy is prob over especially if Painter plays well and leads us to a win.

if im reading this right they have some better options out there

http://www.kffl.com/static/nfl/features/freeagents/fa.php?y=2011

Marc Bulger was solid, Jake Delhomme, J.P Losman, Chad Pennington, Chris Simms, Troy Smith

Bulger and Pennington are both retired so they would petty much be like signing Kerry Collins all over again only they wouldn't have the month he's already spent in the Colts sytem.

Delhomme, Losman, Simms, and Smith are all free agrents for a reason. They weren't that good. Delhomme has made a nice career out for him out of having a Jim Harbaugh type run with the Panthers for a couple of years. Also didn't Delhomme have some kinda major surgery and has yet to prove he is anything like he once was before the surgery? He sorta came back and stunk.

We resigned Orlovsky because he's spent time in our system and at least knows a little of it and we needed another QB with Collin's health in question. Like I said from the start the signing of Orlovsky says more about Collins health than it does anything else.

Marc Bulger was solid, Jake Delhomme, J.P Losman, Chad Pennington, Chris Simms, Troy Smith

this is not a whos who of nfl quarterbacks. imo none of them would be any better

than what we have. lets give painter a shot. him getting blasted in the back one second after

getting the snap sun night was not his fault, and i think the missed throws were because of

nerves. i think he will do ok monday night.

To further the debate. Here are all 32 teams updated QB situations. http://subscribers.footballguys.com/apps/depthchart.php

I personally see 2 teams that could be as bad as us in the QB dept. Seattle is in bad shape all around, but even the teams that are bad, say the 49ers, they still have hope. We dont even have that. Were looking for 2or3 wins here. Our lone 'hope' is that next year a 36ish 3 neck surgery QB comes back for, I dunno, 2 years?

Look whats done is done, we are so caught up in the past here in Indy its not even funny. We have got to start pushing this team forward as a fan base, and while everyone is wasting away in nostalgia land, our team is progressivly getting worse because we arent making the FO accountable. Im not here to say fire anyone, but I am saying that everyone in this organization needs to be examined throughly this season. Its already gone, so lets see who we can use moving forward, but will the Colts be willing to do it?

Dear God - that is not a listing of better options of QB's above those already on the Colts roster. First off you have some retirees on that list. Secondly, the collective talent of all those players is marginal at best, especially considering the age of a few. Lastly, in case you have not noticed, the season has started. You are talking at least a couple of weeks before they are functional in the offense. So even if Painter, Collins & Orlovsky are not anyone's QB answers right now, they have been in the Colts' system making them infinitely better than the ones on that list.